Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

This is a rant for all the people who, from the comfort of their computer screens, enjoying spewing venom, hatefulness and libel into every situation in Augusta.

The UN now has an ambassador for "outer space" affairs. If the UN wants to talk with outerspace, the UN must talk to Washington, D.C.

To the ranter comparing mayor Deke to Queen Elizabeth: Sure, he may not have much authority, but he can still cut ribbons with finesse and make royal proclamations. Maybe he could proclaim me the Duke of Deans Bridge Road.

Republican leader Boehner blames both big parties for current "dysfunction" in government. Why can't he go ahead and admit corruption rather than merely "dysfunction?"

Democrat Roy Barnes "unveils plan to boost state's economy." No politician has ever "boosted" any state's economy other than by cutting the size of government, period. And few modern politicians have any plans to get government out of the way of productive private enterprise. This new "plan" is just more destructive mush from a professional, power-grabbing politician.

GA public school officials keep bragging about various increases in scores on various tests. Now they brag about more kids merely "enrolling" in "advanced" classes. They also brag that these kids are scoring higher in Advanced Placement exams. The highest score one can get is a 5. GA students got a 3. That means these students only made an average of 60, which is a D minus!

This is a rant to the CCBOE. I wonder if the elementary school parents in Columbia County realize their children are being taught by Para-Professionals (Para-Pro) when their teachers are not there. I happen to know this because my wife is a Para-Pro. She has taught her class at least a half-dozen time this year already .

Can someone please explain to me why the Diary of Anne Frank was on the banned books list in Columbia County? You've got to be kidding.

Graduated June 1970, ARC. In the mornings you were asked to close your eyes or do the Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance. Every day you were in school. Whether you did or not was your personal thing. And guess what? Don't recall having a whole lot of problems. Think about it, dummies.

I would just like to thank Augusta Chronicle for the nice article on Tony Curtis and that beautiful picture on the front page.

If you're upset about the economy, don't go crazy and kill and rob and hurt people. That only makes things worse for you. Just stay calm and somebody, some way, is going to help you.

Tell us what you think

Submit a rant or rave.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/03/10 - 07:18 pm
Last rant- Its pretty

Last rant- Its pretty upsetting for their victims as well....

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/03/10 - 07:14 pm
First rant- The comments

First rant- The comments sections are for voicing opinions and not all of them will match yours. Accept it and go with the flow....

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/04/10 - 02:30 am
last ranter, thats assuming

last ranter, thats assuming thats someone worth helping. There are some out there who will never change and believe for whatever reason that the world owes them a living. They will take and take and take and take and take. But when asked to do one simple kindness in return, they'll FLIP OUT. I am DONE with these moochers.

gatech1
gatech1 10/04/10 - 04:21 am
Columbia County Library does

Columbia County Library does not ban books. The list you are looking at is a list of books that have been banned by other organizations. Libraries across the country celebrate Banned Book Week. A wide variety of activities are planned to educate the public on which books have been banned in the past and the danger of banning books. If you go to Columbia County Library, you will find all the books listed as the top banned books on the shelves (if they are not checked out).

momster59
momster59 10/04/10 - 04:30 am
Rant #1 - right on. Civil

Rant #1 - right on. Civil discussion is one thing, jeering, insulting and making fun of tragedy is another. The victim or victim's family is affected. Unfortunately, so long as it is not geared toward them, some people don't care how much they hurt.
Rant #2 - Please tell me you're joking. The ambassador has to do with negotiating for satellites, weapons (remember Regan and the "star wars" device he was trying to develop?), the space station and probes. Any alien that could reach us would not waste their time on such self destructive creatures.
Rant #3 - he looked like a prince in his running gear at Iron Man. I worked the finish line.
Rant #4 - both parties are dysfunctional, corruption is only part of the dysfunction.
Rant #5 - when did you get a copy of the plan? Governors work to bring industry to the state, on producing a more educated society, on lowering taxes, all of which draws industry to the state. That said, politicians rarely keep their campaign promises.
Rant #6 - welcome to the nightmare of NCLB, which pretty much leaves everyone behind.
Rant #7 - would you rather your child be taught by a parapro who has worked with the children, knows the curriculum, has been instructed what to teach by the teacher or by a substitute who may have no training whatsoever?
Rant #8 - public or school library? If elementary school, some of it is too graphic for the children. High school it would be inexcusable.
Rant/Rave #9 - still works the same way 30 years later. Start the day with a moment of silence in which some may choose to pray, followed by the pledge of allegiance.
Rave #10 - We lost a great actor.
Rant #11 - Let's hope people take your advice, but unfortunately we know some won't.

Have a wonderful Monday, Augusta. Heading out to herd cats, I mean teach teenagers.

grammar police
grammar police 10/04/10 - 05:19 am
Students at my Columbia

Students at my Columbia County school read Anne Frank in the eighth grade.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/04/10 - 06:03 am
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ERN. (insert

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ERN. (insert confetti, noise makers and funny hats here)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/04/10 - 06:43 am
Good Morning America, My

Good Morning America, My Friends and Foes.

Welcome to another episode of "As The AC Turns"

On second thought, maybe a board meeting is needed to change it to....
"The Middle Age And Hair Pulling"

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/04/10 - 06:48 am
Happy birthday to you! :)

Happy birthday to you! :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/10 - 06:56 am
#1....What do you

#1....What do you mean...insults tossed around on here....surely you jest...LOL That is life sometimes...ya know..we try to behave don't we Cobalt!!
Last rant...yeh, it would be nice if everyone could be honest.....don't think it's gonna happen.
Good morning CSRA.....now on with the show..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/10 - 07:03 am
We do have some hot

We do have some hot discussions on here....guess what...these topics are in the paper daily...so I would say they are hot for most folks!!
Religion
Illegals
Abortion
War
Politics
Legal system
We can't all agree on everything, now can we..if we could we wouldn't have such a divided congress.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/10 - 07:05 am
Youse guys don't have as much

Youse guys don't have as much hair to pull....ain't fair. :)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/04/10 - 07:07 am
B4, What Congress? I didn't

B4, What Congress? I didn't think we had one.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/04/10 - 07:10 am
I'm just curious, Who sent in

I'm just curious, Who sent in Rant 1?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/10 - 07:13 am

Cobalt...this is your answer to the congress question!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/04/10 - 07:21 am
She was always my Love, still

She was always my Love, still is.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/10 - 07:36 am
countyman....did you send in

countyman....did you send in that 1st rant??

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/04/10 - 07:44 am
countyman must have one of

countyman must have one of them circle k thirstbuster soda jugs. his glass is never half empty.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/10 - 08:24 am
Some headlines in the

Some headlines in the AJC...LONG TERM JOBLESS TOLD NOT TO APPLY....If you have not worked since 2009, do not apply....in other words if you have been on unemployment for a year, while looking for a job, don't come here..construction workers are having a problem with this. Can't say I understand the logic in this.

pommom38
pommom38 10/04/10 - 08:25 am
*Hangs head in shame* I sent

*Hangs head in shame* I sent it in! No, of course I didn't..
G Morning everyone, hope all had a most pleasant Sunday:)
WOW!! All I can really say about how R & R ended last night. There went perfectly calm and nice discussions in a matter of minutes. I never discuss politics or religion, just gets way to heated and that discussion is a most perfect example.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and views, but really?? Must you go no holes barred on here with it? I like *most* of what the posters say, but that crap had me wanting to hit ignore on them! Last rant, yea.. ok..
Anyhoo, I hope everyone can play nice today, even if it is Monday:(

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/10 - 08:31 am
pomm...that rant had YOUR paw

pomm...that rant had YOUR paw prints all over it!!! LOL -funny

pommom38
pommom38 10/04/10 - 08:40 am
Lol!! I know.. I don't think

Lol!! I know..
I don't think anyone's gonna believe me now, especially after my comment about last night.. oops!
Maybe whoever did send in that rant, needs a cuddlebug also:) I'm going to have to take out a loan by the time i've bought all these dogs!! Oh the face on the loan officer if I did.
Me: I would like to take out a loan
Officer: Amount and for?
Me: Well, you see. I need to purchase a mass amount of dogs for some unhappy people.
Officer: Excuse me?
Me: Don't you agree? If more people had loving dogs, then the AC's comment boards would be so much more entertaining and not so nasty/spiteful.
Officer: APPROVED!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/04/10 - 08:56 am
TNTHOMSON, I agree with you,

TNTHOMSON, I agree with you, but it sure is entertaining to sit back and watch the hair fly. lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/10 - 09:02 am
In my case & pomms.. It's

In my case & pomms.. It's watch the "fur" fly.....some are jealous cause we have such Fine Fur....& pretty little faces on here!!!lol

Dudeness
Dudeness 10/04/10 - 09:09 am
When did a 60 become a D??

When did a 60 become a D?? When I was in high school, anything lower than a 70 was an F.

pommom38
pommom38 10/04/10 - 09:15 am
Lmao.. Oh Seenit, you have me

Lmao.. Oh Seenit, you have me rolling here:)
Maybe I should switch my *cute face* to something different. Hmm, see if things change round these parts.

usafvet
usafvet 10/04/10 - 09:28 am
Good morning all. All the

Good morning all. All the cordial and jovial posting this morning. A lovely morning for it too. How long will it last? Who knows, one poster can change it all. Seenit and KSL, guess I was feeling a tad mischievous last night with the cartoon.

usafvet
usafvet 10/04/10 - 09:38 am
Dudeness, same here on the

Dudeness, same here on the grading. We have teachers posting on here that will say that education has been bettered in recent years and students in the 5th grade are learning what once was taught in the 8th grade. Maybe be true, but there are too many students graduating today that have not learned what we were taught in grammar school. Many cannot read much less comprehend, many cannot write so that someone else can read it, many cannot do simple math much less algebra,trigonometry, or any advanced math. They can use calculators, computers, and cell phones but have not learned how to perform those tasks that once was instilled before a calculator was allowed. Bottom line........EDUCATION HAS BEEN "DUMBED DOWN".

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/04/10 - 09:39 am
Let me interject some

Let me interject some humor:

The Perfect Employee?

1 Bob Smith, my assistant programmer, can always be found
2 hard at work at his desk. He works independently, without
3 wasting company time talking to colleagues. Bob never
4 thinks twice about assisting fellow employees, and always
5 finishes given assignments on time. Often he takes extended
6 measures to complete his work, sometimes skipping coffee
7 breaks. Bob is a dedicated individual who has absolutely no
8 vanity in spite of his high accomplishments and profound
9 knowledge in his field. I firmly believe that Bob can be
10 classed as an asset employee, the type which cannot be
11 dispensed with. Consequently, I duly recommend that Bob be
12 promoted to executive management, and a proposal will be
13 executed as soon as possible.

Addendum:

That idiot was standing over my shoulder while I wrote the report sent to you earlier today. Kindly re-read only the odd numbered lines.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/10 - 09:52 am
-----------------------------

AN IMPORTANT TIP:
Here's an easy way to get it right — every time —
When you bump into a lie-lay conundrum — when you aren't absolutely, 110 percent sure — do this quick little exercise.*
Write these six words — “lie, lay, lain” (to recline); then beside or below them — “lay, laid, laid” (to place or put down).
When students do that (I see it on the sides of their quizzes), they never — underline “never”— get it wrong.
Simple, but it works. I call it the Michiko Sato rule.
If it is so simple why do I mess it up sooo much......I'm so thankful my posting friends don't get their panties in a wad when I git my grammar in a wad. So thanks for not spanking me everytime I goof!! :)