Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

This is not the time to try a $75,000-per-year experiment that would have an insignificant effect on dropout rates! Laney High School's dropout rate can only be decreased if the parents take on the responsibility that they are now passing on to the teachers and others. It's up to the parents to demand high standards from their children (and teachers) and they should expect nothing less.

The Georgia Supreme Court postponed the execution of a triple murderer because the man attempted suicide. His lawyer claims he is too nuts to be executed. If a court is stupid enough to fall for that, everybody on death row will immediately pretend to try to commit suicide; then all will NOT be executed by a court that claims you can't execute a nut case, while the phony nut cases will laugh all the way out of death row.

Speaking of Obama's golf swing, if his swing is as awkward as is shown on TV, he is an awful golfer. If he's claiming decent scores, with THAT swing, he's lying about golf, too.

Our many thanks to a wonderful lady who stopped on Evans to Locks Road last Friday to rescue our new little puppy who had sneaked out of the fenced yard. You were so thoughtful to take the time to be sure she was safe. Spicy Girl says "many thanks!"

Property owners cannot prevent tenants from not paying their water bills. Lori Davis, who is running for mayor, should know that property owners cannot be responsible for tenants not paying their bills.

This is a rant for the person that has their own street that I happen to drive on my way to Augusta State University. How did you get your own street?

There is always one thing that makes a Republican look real good. A Democrat.

Somebody told me that to be in "The Tea Party," you must be at least 50 years old and have Rush Limbaugh programmed on your radio ...

When them psychiatrists get through with you, you not only look like a gooney , you act like a gooney , too.

This is a rant for the procurement office. It needs a new director. They should have investigated the license problem with the people that wanted to operate The Patch. It's time to get a new officer.

I visit your fair city quite often. ... It appears as though you don't have a speed limit. Every time I come over there's people passing me like I'm sitting still. I can be going 80 mph, it doesn't matter. Whether I'm on 520 or whether I'm on one of the regular roads it's just like there's no speed limit over there.

Tell us what you think
corgimom
corgimom 09/24/10 - 11:39 am
I don't read Snopes, CG, do

I don't read Snopes, CG, do you?

happychimer
19521
happychimer 09/24/10 - 11:43 am
Cobalt the snopes article

Cobalt the snopes article gives a list of sources at the bottom of the page. Snopes is not wrong. You only say snopes is wrong, because you do not like what snopes says.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/24/10 - 11:55 am
OK happy, whatever you say.

OK happy, whatever you say.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/24/10 - 12:31 pm

The Fantasy World of those who think wars haven't been necessary..
(not calling any names ) please read this ..it is long but worth it...especially about 9-11 & the aftermath....we have those who want to kill the American way of life/people....we would be living in fantasy land if we thought otherwise...some want "their" political will imposed on others & killing innocents won't & never has mattered.
Hitler tried it not so many years ago....talk to ya later.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/24/10 - 12:47 pm
"THANKS" I found this little

"THANKS"

I found this little blurb while wasting time trying to verify the urban myth that anyone really thinks that some posters have a brain cell.

For the past few years (http://www.snopescom/ has positioned itself, or others have labeled it, as the 'tell-all final word' on any comment, claim and email. But for several years people tried to find out who exactly was behind snopes.com. Only recently did Wikipedia get to the bottom of it - kinda makes you wonder what they were hiding. Well, finally we know. It is run by a husband and wife team - that's right, no big office of investigators and researchers, no team of lawyers. It's just a mom-and-pop operation that began as a hobby. David and Barbara Mikkelson in the San Fernando Valley of California started the website about 13 years ago and they have no formal background or experience in investigative research. After a few years it gained popularity believing it to be unbiased and neutral, but over the past couple of years people started asking questions who was behind it and did they have a selfish motivation?

The reason for the questions - or skepticisms - is a result of snopes.com claiming to have the bottom line facts to certain questions or issue when in fact they have been proven wrong. Also, there were criticisms the Mikkelsons were not really investigating and getting to the 'true' bottom of various issues.

A few months ago, when my State Farm agent Bud Gregg in Mandeville hoisted a political sign referencing Barack Obama and made a big splash across the Internet, 'supposedly' the Mikkelson's claim to have researched this issue before posting their findings on snopes.com. In their statement they claimed the corporate office of State Farm pressured Gregg into taking down the sign, when in fact nothing of the sort 'ever' took place. I personally contacted David Mikkelson (and he replied back to me) thinking he would want to get to the bottom of this and I gave him Bud Gregg's contact phone numbers - and Bud was going to give him phone numbers to the big exec's at State Farm in Illinois who would have been willing to speak with him about it. He never called Bud. In fact, I learned from Bud Gregg that no one from snopes.com ever contacted anyone with State Farm.

Yet, snopes.com issued a statement as the 'final factual word' on the issue as if they did all their homework and got to the bottom of things - not!

Then it has been learned the Mikkelson's are very Democratic (party) and extremely liberal. As we all now know from this presidential election, liberals have a purpose agenda to discredit anything that appears to be conservative. There has been much criticism lately over the Internet with people pointing out the Mikkelson's liberalism revealing itself in their website findings. Gee, what a shock?

So, I say this now to everyone who goes to snopes.com to get what they think to be the bottom line fact 'proceed with caution.' Take what it says at face value and nothing more. Use it only to lead you to their references where you can link to and read the sources for yourself. Plus, you can always Google a subject and do the research yourself. It now seems apparent that's all the Mikkelson's do. After all, I can personally vouch from my own experience for their 'not' fully looking into things.

http://http//www.wikipedia.org/ or http://http//www.snopes.com/

I have found this to be true also! Many videos of Obama I tried to verify on Snopes and they said they were False. Then they gave their liberal slant! I have suspected some problems with snopes for some time now, but I have only caught them in half-truths. If there is any subjectivity they do an immediate full left rudder.

Truth or Fiction, is a better source for verification, in my opinion.
TruthOrFiction.com-Is that forwarded email Truth or Fiction? Research into stories, scams, hoaxes, myths, and urban legends on the Internet

I have recently discovered that Snopes.com is owned by a flaming liberal and this man is in the tank for Obama. There are many things they have listed on their site as a hoax and yet you can go to You tube yourself and find the video of Obama actually saying these things. So you see, you cannot and should not trust Snopes.com, ever for anything that remotely resembles truth! I don't even trust them to tell me if email chains are hoaxes anymore.

A few conservative speakers on MySpace told me aboutSnopes.com. A few months ago and I took it upon myself to do a little research to find out if it was true. Well, I found out for myself that it is true. Anyway just FYI please don't use Snopes.com anymore for fact checking and make your friends aware of their political leanings as well. Many people still think Snopes.com is neutral and they can be trusted as factual. We need to make sure everyone is aware that that is a hoax in itself.

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 09/24/10 - 12:50 pm
Obama and the demo-cats said

Obama and the demo-cats said if they get elected, change was coming. With economy the way it is, I didn't figure it was the change in our pockets. I blame Obama and the demo-cats!(Haven't said that in a well!)

happychimer
19521
happychimer 09/24/10 - 12:52 pm
See? I was right. You say bad

See? I was right. You say bad things about snopes because you don't like what they say, and they prove you wrong.

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 09/24/10 - 12:52 pm
Doesn't Laney like have about

Doesn't Laney like have about 150 students total! And plus they got a stadium! That's like a graduating class of 10; 2 dropped out!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/24/10 - 12:59 pm
This could happen here, if we

This could happen here, if we don't get our heads out of the sand: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130087939&sc=fb&cc=fp

happychimer
19521
happychimer 09/24/10 - 12:59 pm
Host, A Celebration: 100

Host, A Celebration: 100 Years of Great Women with Barbara Walters, ABC, 1999

Read more: Barbara Walters Biography (1931-) http://www.filmreference.com/film/24/Barbara-Walters.html#ixzz10TEgVByN

happychimer
19521
happychimer 09/24/10 - 01:00 pm
11 years ago. Obama had

11 years ago. Obama had nothing to do with it

happychimer
19521
happychimer 09/24/10 - 01:02 pm
RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/24/10 - 01:17 pm
Many posters asked us to

Many posters asked us to "Give Obama time, it normally takes 2 years for any presidents policies to be felt" or something really close to those words. Well, we are real close to his 2 year mark and his policies are taking effect. Results so far: falling real estate prices, increasing unemployment, more jobs overseas, I have to give my bank permission to use my overdraft (never had to use it btw), new car sales are down, used car prices are up, Ahmadinejad comes to OUR country and blames 9/11 on US. God help us when his policies are fully implemented.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/24/10 - 01:19 pm
And I forgot, whites can be

And I forgot, whites can be charged and tried for voting crimes, others can not.

30cal
30cal 09/24/10 - 02:17 pm
RK IT is only going to get

RK IT is only going to get worse. Even if we do dump him in 2012 it will take at least 2 yrs. to even start to unravel the mess he made and all then zsar's he appointed must be gotten rid of THEN there's the mess w/ the supreme court and his hand picked clowns.
We are not out of the woods yet only heading deeper.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/24/10 - 03:08 pm
RK...please take that woman

RK...please take that woman to a plastic surgeon asap......;)

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/24/10 - 03:09 pm
Happy, calling Cobalt a liar,

Happy, calling Cobalt a liar, is like us calling Obama a liar! The accounts that CG published about Miss Saigon, are true! She is a traitor and the men she insulted are mostly alive to verify her sedition.

Don't depend on Snopes for anything that has a political implication. They are exactly the same as you, blind Democrats!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/24/10 - 03:32 pm
Jane Fonda Supported the

Jane Fonda Supported the Enemy in Vietnam

From Truth or Fiction (excerpts)

The Fonda trip became unforgettable because it infuriated Americans, especially Americans in uniform, many of whom still regard her as a traitor. She praised the North Vietnamese, posed for a photo at a Communist anti-aircraft gun emplacement, made several radio broadcasts for the Communist North Vietnamese in which she called American military leaders "war criminals," then when some of the POWs returned home and described mistreatment by the North Vietnamese, she said Americans should "...not hail the POWs as heroes, because they are hypocrites and liars."

In 1988 in an interview with Barbara Walters on 20/20, Jane Fonda talked about her Vietnam visit and issued what some feel was an apology but which her critics say was not enough.
Fonda said, "I would like to say something, not just to Vietnam veterans in New England, but to men who were in Vietnam, who I hurt, or whose pain I caused to deepen because of the things that I said or did. I was trying to help end the killing and the war, but there were times when I was thoughtless and careless about it and I'm...very sorry that I hurt them. And I want to apologize to them and their families."

In 2005, Fonda published her autobiography in which she described in detail her decision to go to North Vietnam. She said it was primarily motivated by her desire to document the U.S. bombing of important dikes that, if destroyed, could kill tens of thousands of people and devastate the lives of millions. The U.S. had denied the bombings. In the book, Fonda is unapologetic about the trip or her participation in broadcasts on radio Hanoi but regrets the pictures taken of her at the gun emplacement. She said it made it appear as though she was celebrating armaments aimed at American planes, which was not how she felt and was not the context in which the pictures were taken. She reminds readers that the U.S. investigated her trip and found no reason to bring any charges against her. She also describes her longstanding support of, and interaction with, U.S. military personnel and says her only beef was with the U.S. government, not the troops.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/24/10 - 04:24 pm
If Happy understood about

If Happy understood about bias in the newsmedia and how politicians (and other assorted liars) exploit that, then Happy would understand why Snopes.com is not particularly trustworthy. Snopes.com picks and chooses what it includes as sources of "facts" and information, just like every other reporting entity does, whether it be Snopes, MCNBC, National Review or Matt Drudge.

It takes a good education (especially in history, economics and government), internal balance, wisdom and personal integrity to sift through all the mouthpieces proclaiming "the truth" to find the ones that actually are reliably trustworthy. A good indication is a clear willingness to admit errors and deal with them publicly.

Opinion, Happy, is completely irrelevant to this process; insightful judgment isn't.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/24/10 - 04:25 pm
Hi F.L., I think she means

Hi F.L., I think she means well, but just is too slanted in one direction to consider the real truth!

Beside that, how are ya? Been missin you!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/24/10 - 04:30 pm
And Jane Fonda should have

And Jane Fonda should have lost her American citizenship while she was posing on anti-aircraft artillery guns. And barring that, her attempt to re-enter the country should have resulted in her arrest and charges of sedition and treason.

She may be forgiven in the eternal sphere, but she should never escape the temporal consequences of what she did to undermine the morale and safety of US soldiers, pilots, Marines and anyone else who served our country in Vietnam. She was a traitor and it could not have been any more blatant or treacherous.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/24/10 - 04:33 pm
Hey, Sarge. Been missing you

Hey, Sarge. Been missing you guys too. How are you feeling?

Not that anyone asked, but I don't think the problem is simply the severity of the slant. Personal preference, ie, "liking it", is a large component, IMO.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/24/10 - 04:48 pm
5:30...absolutely! 5:33...I'm

5:30...absolutely!

5:33...I'm better today! Had a whole day of tests, poking, proding, sticking and two diffeent scans. I looked like someone who had been shot by Cheney with birdshot, (all the bandages). My new doc is looking for the source of the "C," and we should know something on the 6th. Today I feel really good. Yesterday....well, that was another story!

As for the "cheerful" commenter, I won't comment about her, as it does no good. I'd rather do verbals with you and the regular gang! Speaking of which, have you taken a look at Doc's blog on Facebook?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/24/10 - 05:07 pm
Gotta go, repairman coming,

Gotta go, repairman coming, BBL.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/24/10 - 05:13 pm
Right on Fiat at your 5:24

Right on Fiat at your 5:24 post. It's eggzakly why I keep preaching about the lie that permeates all media...which is the fact so many of the masses 'buy into' the idea of truth they are selling, hyping, pushing or whatever emphasis you pick, that day..tomorrow they could see the ratings spin down and reverse their push the following day...it's market driven drivel that no one cares about but are compelled to listen to w music, tv, movies or printed rag....it's everywhere and if you can be persuaded to believe, you will follow their lie, or version of the truth..call it whatever..it's nonsense and this whole insistence on political correctness is absurd..
...labels only help others identify w the information being espoused by the commentator and if.. they are cute or pretty enough, have the right colors and smooth talk the audience just right, they'll follow them to Hades...whereas, a thinking and reasonable person will see through the BS and understand the advertisement is meant to manipulate you and make a connection so it can persuade you to go buy what is being sold...be it the news, the prime time show or Springer et al like him....
...who cares...Carlin pegged it simply.."it's all BS and it's BAD for ya." Personally, I've had a policy like this for a long time: Don't believe anything your see or hear, and only half of what you think you know...
...That's all folks. Ta-ta. (News is coming on and I'm a news junkie....) {Go figure.}

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/24/10 - 05:48 pm
Sarge, I don't know about

Sarge, I don't know about Doc's FB blog. Got a link?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/24/10 - 06:26 pm
Well that link didn't work.

Well that link didn't work. Sarge, how about sending me his facebook name by email and I can go from there by doing a name search?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/24/10 - 06:47 pm
This should be real scary to

This should be real scary to True Americans but it will be taken as a lies to those with their heads in the sand and knees on a rug praying to the great King SMCICBHO.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 09/24/10 - 06:51 pm
I don't know what all the

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I stated that Cobalt was wrong about parts of his Jane Fonda post. Even though I do not like the woman, and I consider her a traitor,I won't lie about her or anyone.I repeat...I do not like Jane Fonda.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/24/10 - 07:42 pm
Happy, Please don't get all

Happy, Please don't get all bent out of shape, If you believe she didn't give the enemy the information which was given by our POW's because Snopes said so. So Be It! You have that Right!