Boy, 17, injured in accidental fire

  • Follow Metro

A 17-year-old boy received what were believed to be non-life-threatening burns Monday morning when he attempted to extinguish a fire in his home.

Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue firefighters James Thomas (left) and Gary Thigpen Jr. give oxygen to a dog that suffered smoke inhalation from a burning home  in the Farmington subdivision in Evans early Monday.  Cy Webb, 17, was cooking just before 8 a.m., when the pan caught fire, said Martinez-Columbia Assistant Chief Jim Champion.  He suffered burns to his foot and leg and was in serious condition Monday at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital, according to a hospital spokeswoman. Two dogs also were rescued from the home, which was  badly damaged by the fire, officials said.  Valerie Rowell/Staff
Valerie Rowell/Staff
Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue firefighters James Thomas (left) and Gary Thigpen Jr. give oxygen to a dog that suffered smoke inhalation from a burning home in the Farmington subdivision in Evans early Monday. Cy Webb, 17, was cooking just before 8 a.m., when the pan caught fire, said Martinez-Columbia Assistant Chief Jim Champion. He suffered burns to his foot and leg and was in serious condition Monday at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital, according to a hospital spokeswoman. Two dogs also were rescued from the home, which was badly damaged by the fire, officials said.

A neighbor of 4861 White Hall Drive in Evans, in the Farmington subdivision, called 911 after seeing smoke coming from the home shortly before 8 a.m. Monday. When Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue personnel arrived, they found the living room area in flames and the 17-year-old with burns to his arm and legs.

The fire was soon extinguished, and two dogs were rescued from the home. One was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Fire personnel say the fire started when a pan the youth was using in the kitchen caught fire. He tried to take the burning pan outside, but slipped and dropped the contents on a sofa, catching it on fire. He was burned when he attempted to extinguish the fire.

The teen was taken to an area hospital for treatment.

Comments (14) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
PUPPYMOMMA
1359
Points
PUPPYMOMMA 09/20/10 - 09:37 am
0
0
I hope he is okay. Burns

I hope he is okay. Burns hurt.

cherylevrard
7
Points
cherylevrard 09/20/10 - 10:08 am
0
0
He is in my prayers. Along

He is in my prayers. Along with his two dogs. Poor guy!!

tfh
0
Points
tfh 09/20/10 - 10:19 am
0
0
17 yo boys should never try

17 yo boys should never try and cook;)ha, but seriously, glad everyone is okay:)

jkhndz79
0
Points
jkhndz79 09/20/10 - 11:16 am
0
0
Awwww cute pic! ^_^

Awwww cute pic! ^_^

AugustaVoter
2
Points
AugustaVoter 09/20/10 - 11:41 am
0
0
I hope he gets better. But I

I hope he gets better. But I am wondering why a 17 year old is at home at 8am when school is in session. Just a thought.

rzombie125
11
Points
rzombie125 09/20/10 - 11:56 am
0
0
I was 17 when I graduated

I was 17 when I graduated from high school.

nofrillls13
0
Points
nofrillls13 09/20/10 - 02:35 pm
0
0
I am very happy to hear the

I am very happy to hear the young man will be fine but I am just as happy to see our local rescue people helping the little dog. To me this shows that these men and woman not only put their life on the line for us humans but for what we feel is most important to us. Thank you for showing the world they are human too...

corgimom
34064
Points
corgimom 09/20/10 - 06:19 pm
0
0
Every home should have a fire

Every home should have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

We have two- one upstairs, one downstairs.

It could save someone's life.

Rolling Eyes
247
Points
Rolling Eyes 09/20/10 - 06:27 pm
0
0
After he finishes his fire

After he finishes his fire safety awareness class he'll begin taking courses in cooking.....

pommom38
1496
Points
pommom38 09/20/10 - 07:27 pm
0
0
Gee, maybe he didn't have

Gee, maybe he didn't have school anymore, he was sick today, he was suspended. What does it MATTER? What matters is that the kid is OK as well as the dogs!
I know whenever possible the fire department will save anything in the home living, that is why they have stickers where you can list all your pets:)
I'm sad that the parent (s) perhaps didn't teach this kid how to put out a small kitchen fire. It is crucial if you know your kid will attempt cooking.

cricketflea
3
Points
cricketflea 09/21/10 - 07:53 am
0
0
Got a pan fire??? Cover it

Got a pan fire??? Cover it with a lid....save the sofa next time.......it smothers the fire.

Little Lamb
46920
Points
Little Lamb 09/21/10 - 08:21 am
0
0
That's a typical teenager.

That's a typical teenager. He was going to take the fire outside so he could set a brush fire and burn up the neighborhood.

oneconservativetoanother
5
Points
oneconservativetoanother 09/21/10 - 03:30 pm
0
0
Give credit where credit is

Give credit where credit is due. The professionals that arrived on the scene took control and no one was seriously hurt. Thank you to the firefighters that risk their lives for us. They take the time to train and be ready for just an occasion as this. Even our pets are important to those that love them. Thanks again - good job!

Back to Top

Top headlines

Upscale addiction treatment facility opens

The facility off Bennock Mill Road is a cutting-edge residential addiction treatment facility, combining evidence-based treatment and wellness approaches like diet and personalized exercise ...
Search Augusta jobs