Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

Thank you to the "Around the Block" section editors of the Richmond County Neigh­bors for the writing contest notices. As a language arts teacher in Richmond County, I sincerely appreciate being informed about opportunities for my middle school students to submit their works.

Rave to the Richmond County  police officers who broke into my car for me when I managed to lock myself out of it in the middle of the road with the car's engine running.

A big RANT against the public relations talk by Augusta Public Transit.  When people who have been waiting extra time in the hot sun call to ask for an estimated time of arrival, supervisors need to tell the truth, not say something just to make things sound nicer.  Some of us were waiting at a stop.  We were told that the bus would be approaching the opposite side of the road, so we crossed the street to catch the bus there.  Then about 15 minutes later, we saw the bus coming to the bus stop across the road, where we had been waiting!  So we crossed the road as quick as we could to catch the bus.

Cashiers really need to stop being so Southern slow with chatter at check outs.  Some of us have a schedule and need to run on to catch buses or some such.  Stop picking conversations with everyone when you are the only one for a line of people!

I agree with the rant about the VA nurses . It does seem to be one big social club when you go there.

I'd like to RANT about the president of MCG changing the name of the school! Knowing the employees are taking furlough days trying to make ends meet for their families , I don't understand how they can spend that amount of money on changing the name when they should be more interested in helping their employees survive! Happy employees make happy patients!

Considering the delinquency of school lunches, I think it's time that parents/guardians start teaching children the value of money .  It will involve them with basic math skills they should be using in classes anyway.  And now would be the good time to instill in at least high school kids about thoughts of their financial futures, to start saving for something that can be safe and productive like savings bonds.

Deke can't seem to be able to even admit that there is a crime problem in Augusta, and he has yet to address what he intends to do about it. However, he wastes no time at all to talk about his favorite subject: a new ballpark.  Some may say ignorance is bliss, but in the case of Augusta, it is becoming downright deadly.

How come nobody wants to discuss the idea of building a brand new baseball stadium exactly where the old one is? It's been done before. That's my rant.

Comments (194)

omnomnom
omnomnom 09/18/10 - 02:42 am

well, aside from the idea of

well, aside from the idea of someone like ranter #2 being out there on the road, I have to say I'm happy with all these rants, suggestions, and the raves.

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 09/18/10 - 02:43 am

Does anyone really care about

Does anyone really care about the name change of MCG or a stupid ballpark? Its crime!

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 09/18/10 - 02:56 am

I contacted the producers of

I contacted the producers of "First 48" to see if Augusta could maybe get an episode. They said they received a request for Augusta before but the homicide investigators at 401 don't have any type of TV Personality. We need you Caroline Mason!

Emerydan
Emerydan 09/18/10 - 02:49 am

"It's the crime, stupid."

"It's the crime, stupid."

myopinion3
myopinion3 09/18/10 - 05:46 am

you actually crossed the

you actually crossed the street to catch a bus.....wow what a sacrifice

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/10 - 06:59 am

South gotta love it! When

South gotta love it! When you have the good fortune to be born in the South you are taught to do certain things....
Greet your fellow man with a big smile-wave-or friendly chit chat.
It is kinda hard for a true Southerner to speed up....gracious me for any thinking that..
We are taught that life is short but wonderful....each day is a blessing & try to enjoy all the "little" things that some miss..
such as .....a beautiful flower with drops of dew
a child's hug.....a happy dogs waving tail & welcome tongue lick.....a funny joke, even when it's about you...family love & how important that is....that money can't buy everything you need in life, sometimes that good friend means more than all the gold at Ft. Knox....to laugh a lot especially with good friends.....that butterflies & bees & birds are important too....
All I can say is THANK GOD I'M FROM THE SOUTH!

Good am CSRA.

corgimom
19137
corgimom 09/18/10 - 07:31 am

"Cashiers really need to stop

"Cashiers really need to stop being so Southern slow with chatter at check outs. Some of us have a schedule and need to run on to catch buses or some such. Stop picking conversations with everyone when you are the only one for a line of people!"

So...don't shop at that store? Leave 5 minutes earlier? Move up North, where people are rude and unfriendly?

crackerjack
crackerjack 09/18/10 - 07:34 am

SeenitB4.....I agree, and I

SeenitB4.....I agree, and I think that old grump needs to leave earlier to compensate for that possibility, shop at a different store, take an anger management course, or move back up north.

carcraft
20584
carcraft 09/18/10 - 07:36 am

About changing the name of

About changing the name of MCG, A rose by any other name smells the same is true but initial perception can be important. MCG has many World Class physcians and research going on as well as very dynamic schools of Denistry, Nursing, Allied health sciences etc. It is important to reflect that fact so we will have Georgia University of Health Sciences as an umbrella for The College of Nursing, College of Denistry, Medical college etc. It will help make MCG less likely to end up as a satellite of UGA with a small campus at Augusta!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/18/10 - 07:41 am

Good Morning Saturday

Good Morning Saturday America, My Friends and My Foes.

I have a change of attitude, Lets "Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8."

Thanks Sarge & usafvet for the supporting words last night, but remember, I would still like to place cross-hairs on all the King SMCICBHO illegal immigrants.

Rant 3, quit complaining, just think of the calories you lost, you may have needed it.

So lets tune in to another episode of "As The AC Turns"

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/10 - 07:44 am

You ain't from around here

You ain't from around here are you Cobalt....haha ...we love you anyway!! :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/10 - 07:55 am

CG your video of the nice

CG your video of the nice Southern lady from North South Carolina brought back fond memories for me.....I remember my early days with good ole Southern Bell on Greene St..a caller wanted to ring-up North South Carolina....I had NEVER heard of that small town....we went round & round trying to get it right...funny even now!!
To all the good folks from Millen Ga. area...we had some fun calling the ring-downs in the small towns south of Waynesboro, just like Mayberry....a personal town operator & she knew everyone in that town.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/18/10 - 08:19 am

No B4, I'sa yankee but I'sa

No B4, I'sa yankee but I'sa blanning in:

Well that just dills my pickle!

That’s about as useful as a trap door on a canoe!

You look about as happy as a tick on a fat dog.

I’m finer than frog hair split four ways.

If you don’t stop I’ll knock you in the head and tell God you died.He couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket.

He’s busier than a one-legged man at a butt kickin contest!

She was so tall if she fell down she would be halfway home.

He thinks the sun comes up just to hear him crow.

Don’t you urinate (word change) on my leg and tell me it’s rainin’!

He was as mad as a mule chewing on bumblebees!

You’re lyin’ like a no-legged dog!

Excuses are like backsides. Everybody’s got one and they all stink.

That was faster than green grass through a goose.

She could make a preacher cuss!

Hell, she could even depress the devil.

You could start an argument in an empty house.

That coffee’s strong enough to float an iron wedge.

You look as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine.

He’d gripe with a ham under each arm.

Why are you smilin’ like a goat in a briarpatch?

Our preacher’s as full of wind as a corn-eating horse.

Each one of his sermons is better than the next!

He’s so windy he could blow up an onion sack.

He’s so useless if he had a third hand he would need another pocket to put it in!

She needs some fries to go with that shake.

That boy’s more slippery than snot on a glass doorknob.

Why don’t you just take a long walk off a short pier.

They’re off like a herd of turtles.

She’s resting in peace in the marble orchard.

Well, don’t you look prettier than a glob of butter melting on a stack of wheat cakes!

He’s about as handy as a back pocket on a shirt.

She’s so clumsy she could trip over a cordless phone!
(yeah, my great, great grandfather used to say that one when he was a boy).

He’s about as useful as a pogo stick in quicksand.

If brains were leather, he wouldn’t have enough to saddle a junebug.

Well, if that don’t put pepper in the gumbo!

Well, slap my head and call me silly!

Well tie me to a pig and role me in the mud!

Well tie me to an anthill and fill my ears with jam!

He’s not particularly intelligent:

The engine’s runnin’ but nobody’s driving.

If his brains were dynamite, he couldn’t blow his nose

He’s so dumb, he could throw himself on the ground and miss.

He’s so dumb he couldn’t [filtered word] his name in the snow.

He’s a little strange…

That boy’s two bricks shy of a full load.

I think that boy’s about two sandwiches shy of a picnic.

I think he’s one fry short of a Happy Meal.

He’s acting crazier than a sprayed roach!

He’s so rich, he buys a new boat each time one gets wet.

You’ve got champagne taste with a beer pocketbook.

He’s tighter than a flea’s [filtered word] over a rain barrel.

He squeezes a quarter so tight the eagle screams.

He doesn’t have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out.

It’s drier than happy hour at the Betty Ford clinic!

It’s cold enough to freeze the balls off a pool table!

It’s so dry the trees are bribing the dogs.

It’s hotter than two rabbits making babies in a sock!

He’s not particularly handsome….

He’s uglier than the east end of a horse headed west

He looks like something the dog’s been keepin’ him under the porch.

He is so ugly that my mother had to tie pork chops to his ears so the dog would play with him.”

She’s so ugly I’d hire her to haunt a house!

If I had a dog as ugly as him, I’d shave his butt and make him walk backwards.

“Living in sin”:

I heard they ate supper before they said grace!

OK, OK I'LL STOP before some southerner yells about the 1200 words limit!!

rwarmy
rwarmy 09/18/10 - 08:45 am

I totally agree with the

I totally agree with the previous VA ranters regarding nursing duties and staff socializing. I have personally observed them ignoring patients to socialize or talk excessively on the phone on many occasions. It seems there is little or no supervision or accountability at the VA and most if not all should be retrained on personal courtesy and politeness when talking with patients both on the telephone and in person.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/10 - 08:48 am

Ha ha CG...You're a gitting

Ha ha CG...You're a gitting there....but you know you have to be born in the South to be bone-i-fied.....at least you got the country music part right. :) I heard some of those "sayings" every week growing up.

apex24
apex24 09/18/10 - 08:55 am

I'm not sure who's suppose to

I'm not sure who's suppose to clean the instruments so there is no contamination but if its the nurses now we know the source of problems at the VA hospital.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/10 - 08:57 am

For some reason this song comes to my mind this am...+)

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 09/18/10 - 09:02 am

LOL CG! I enjoyed that...

LOL CG! I enjoyed that... haven't heard some of them and I thought I was as Southern as they come. Well... on to the R&R's as I wouldn't want to get too far off topic. lol.

1. Glad they still have this sort of thing. I honestly didn't think they did writing contests anymore.

2. Yeah, we do have some pretty nice guys/gals for our Deputies. Umm... just curious... how did you come to lock your keys in your car, running, in the middle of the road?

3. This really sucks for ya. Could be that the person answering the phone was human an actually made a human error? Oh well, that's why I bought a car of my own.

4. Ok, granted I can get frustrated with this too. BUT it's usually because I left late and am in a hurry. If I had left on time or a few minutes earlier I'd probably be the one chatting with the cashier. A true Southerner can strike up a conversation anywhere at any point in time. It's just part of our charm. Again with the catching buses?

5. Would you rather they walk around like robots? I have found that the best places to be are places where the employee's work as a family unit and get along well together.

6. It really doesn't matter what we think of it, the name is changed... quit ranting about it already.

7. How do you go from "kids not paying for lunch" to "teach them about buying savings bonds"? There is no solution for this problem except to send a letter home to the parents. I don't believe the children should be singled out in school and embarrassed. Serving them pb&j while everyone else is having something different is pointing out their problem in a public way.

8. NC

9. Because people that I know don't care if we have a baseball stadium or not. Just sayin...

Tots
Tots 09/18/10 - 09:03 am

Hello everybody!

Hello everybody!

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 09/18/10 - 09:06 am

Hiya Tots.. good morning to

Hiya Tots.. good morning to ya

corgimom
19137
corgimom 09/18/10 - 09:09 am

CG- "You would argue with a

CG-

"You would argue with a stop sign",

"You get mad when a stop light turns green"

"He's as useless as **** on a tom cat"

"He/she was beaten with an ugly stick"

"He/she fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down"

"Beats being poked in the eye with a sharp stick"

"Shackin' up" (living in sin)

"Your guardian angel better not never take a coffee break, or else you're "(edited)"" (said often to my son)

"You're in a world of hurt"

"Your (hiney) is mine"

"If you don't start doing as you've been told, you need to get on the phone and make funeral arrangements and then call 911, you're gonna need both"

"Tell him/her to go North, he/she will go South out of spite"

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 09/18/10 - 09:17 am

Ok, I'll add my own fave's..

Ok, I'll add my own fave's.. lol

"You'd argue with a stump"

"they look like they've been chasing parked cars"

"Ya lay down with dogs, ya wake up with fleas"

"They've gotta face that'd make a freight train take a dirt road"

"Keep messing with me and the only thing that'll beat you to the hospital is the headlights on the ambulance"

"Watch them, they'll turn on you like a rabbid dog"

"You'll go to hell for lying"

"God don't like ugly"

"Goin to hell in a handbasket"

"crazy as a "crap" (edited) house rat"

"had to "poo" in the creek to keep from setting the woods on fire" (in reference to eating something really hot and spicy)

My son farted once and my mom said... "that's a letter from a turd saying you need to go to the bathroom" I just about fell out of my chair laughing and my son just froze, not knowing how to respond. I've used it every since!

I could go on and on but these are the ones that I hear and/or use the most. LOL.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/18/10 - 09:18 am

A great day to you, Tots &

A great day to you, Tots & Abby-noll

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 09/18/10 - 09:21 am

You also, CG :-)

You also, CG :-)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/10 - 09:27 am

Great Saturday to all on

Great Saturday to all on here...
You know the chickens will come home to roost....if it walks like a duck, well you know the rest........change of subject.....to all you military folks on here.....just reading about Russian planes buzzing our Navy ships in the Arctic...please tell me why does this happen when we are SUPPOSE to be getting along (somewhat)...

Tots
Tots 09/18/10 - 09:28 am

Great day to

Great day to ya'll.........God lord it's great to be from the south.
Thanks for the happy tears.

P.S.-Corgi and Seenit looks like I missed the fun Friday,go check out the rants now.................

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/18/10 - 09:31 am

Being raised 40 miles south

Being raised 40 miles south of Montreal, I could post some of those saying but I'm sure you down south wouldn't understand them.

Tots
Tots 09/18/10 - 09:34 am

Please stop George.

Please stop George.

Tots
Tots 09/18/10 - 09:34 am

Or dont.

Or dont.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/18/10 - 09:34 am

B4, since King SMCICBHO took

B4, since King SMCICBHO took control, we are not getting along with anyone except Muslim nations and Mexico.

Augusta pensioners eye benefit increase

With an eye on the millions remaining in the city's oldest pension funds - its 1945 and 1949 plans - a handful of retired city and county employees are reviving a push to increase their monthly ...