Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

Hey, raise the golf fees to cover the expenses, why is it so hard for commissioners to understand this??

Deke is at it again, he won't stop until he and Cal get what Cal wants for Cal. How obvious is this?

Rant to Columbia County BOE for allowing high schools to charge $350 for a senior page in the yearbooks. Isn't enough that I have forked out 10 times that amount over the four years my child has attended PUBLIC high school? I don't think it should be free, but recognizing high school graduates, with the dropout rate as high as it is, should not cost so much. Where does this money go, anyway?

A sincere rave for Dr. Charles Yomans and Ms Jones at Community Care Clinic, DDEAMC. Good people providing quality care.

How much will it cost to change the governor's name on signs at all of the Georgia borders?

This is a wonderful, wonderful rave for the two men who helped me on Gordon Highway when my Taurus broke down. Thank you to Andre and to the other man in the truck who helped me. I never got his name. They helped me pull my car over to the side and made sure me and my children were ok. God bless you. It goes to show there still are gentlemen out there and everyone isn't out for what they can get. Some people genuinely want to help. Pass it on. I will.

This is a message for The Chronicle and the American people. Quit putting your confidence or your loyalties into a particular party because when you do that you lose. These party politicians don't care about the American people. Go out there and do it for yourself and hold these here people who represent us accountable. Not because of the party they're in but because of who they are. Because if they are going to follow a party platform, we all lose.

A rave to the special angels who stopped to help the woman who fell out of the red truck at Wheeless and Deans Bridge on 9/9. She fractured her back . The two ladies, one called her husband, the second called the ambulance. Both stayed with her until help arrived. An off-duty EMT stabilized her and stayed with her also. A young man stopped her truck from going into the intersection. EMTs, thank you all. Your kindness will be repaid with kindnesses to others.

Cell phones in prison. They are in prison for violating the law and doing wrong. It's supposed to be a deterrent. What's going to be next? You going to put a convenience store in there for them? Do away with the air conditioning, too.

Have the Giants. What a joke to begin with. Ripken baseball. Mr. Evans. If they want to move, I'll help pay to get them loaded up.

Tell us what you think
Double Trouble
Double Trouble 09/17/10 - 12:13 am
Ranter #9..... You just don't

Ranter #9..... You just don't get it do you? The article made it clear that the cell phones were not allowed but instead had been introduced into the prison through illegal methods. The prison system does not allow cell phones. They do have collect phones so that an inmate can call family (who must be on an approved list) at a rate of approximately 20 dollars for a 10 minute call.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/17/10 - 07:11 am
To borrow a line from a

To borrow a line from a former poster........ today's R&R, NWTTOE. Come on AC, give us something to argue about.

smalltowngal
smalltowngal 09/17/10 - 05:53 am
People helping people, docs

People helping people, docs being compassionate and more people helping others. My gosh, where will all this lead to? Maybe the recent elections and the BIG upcoming election are having an effect on all of us. A new day is dawning, a better day, a better way, a better future. Let hear it for Nov.

Martinez
Martinez 09/17/10 - 05:00 am
CCBOE does not determine year

CCBOE does not determine year book ad prices. If the school is charging $ 350, it's because they know they can fill their pages at that price point. Solution, don't buy an ad. Alternatively find a more creative way to recognize your child's accomplishments. As for what the money is spent on, does it even really matter? Producing a year book is not cheap, the more ads you sell, the more quality non-paid pages you can produce. If at the end of the day, there is a profit made, those funds go back into the school in some way or another. Bottom line is you either want the full page ad or you don't. Not getting one doesn't mean you are less proud then the next parent.

billoftt
billoftt 09/17/10 - 06:24 am
I don't think I woul dpay 350

I don't think I woul dpay 350 bucks for my kid to have a single page for him in a yearbook. Methinks I will have him let the scholarships "talk the talk" for that one.

A lot more raves today, it pleases me to see that at least a few people left will commit selfless acts to strangers.

Cal hawks his autograph for 200 bucks these days, you can buy it in the gift shop at the current stadium, and you don't even have to meet him! At that price, he should have plenty of cash.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 09/17/10 - 06:37 am
So the US is going to loan

So the US is going to loan Mexico $1 billion to drill in the Gulf. Meanwhile, The Prez has placed a moratorium on US drilling in the same Gulf. Boy does he know how to stimulate the economy and save AMERICAN jobs or what? NOT!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/17/10 - 06:41 am

Sure we can give $$$ to Mexico & our jobs to China.....didn't you know we are LOADED!!!!!! The taxman comes again.

corgimom
corgimom 09/17/10 - 06:45 am
"Rant to Columbia County BOE

"Rant to Columbia County BOE for allowing high schools to charge $350 for a senior page in the yearbooks. "

I had never heard of this ridiculous idea until I moved to the South.

Your choice is- throw away $350, or not. Your money, do what you want with it.

Tell your kid to earn the money thenselves- the must-have senior page will quickly drop to "I changed my mind."

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/17/10 - 06:50 am

Trouble getting up this am? Maybe this will help.

pommom38
pommom38 09/17/10 - 06:52 am
There are good samaritans out

There are good samaritans out there, we just don't see them all the time. Am glad both ravers got help when they needed it most:) $350? That IS a lot of cash, why don't you NOT waste it on one page in a book, and put it towards your child's college education, or towards a recognition graduation party. Instead of letting the school do whatever with it, you can! Problem solved.
G Mornin to all, it's friday:)

corgimom
corgimom 09/17/10 - 06:55 am
"Isn't enough that I have

"Isn't enough that I have forked out 10 times that amount over the four years my child has attended PUBLIC high school?"

Parent, learn to say "NO". It is the best gift you can ever give your child.

It's free and it is priceless.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/17/10 - 07:01 am
But corgi...It's so hard for

But corgi...It's so hard for parents to say no today...shame on them.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/17/10 - 07:06 am
Saying no isn't that hard.

Saying no isn't that hard. Ask my kids.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/17/10 - 07:08 am
Didn't ya hear, Mexican oil

Didn't ya hear, Mexican oil is non toxic to aquatic creatures so there shouldn't be any problem.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/17/10 - 07:10 am
Now if you could learn to say

Now if you could learn to say no to the women...lol...good am RK.

pommom38
pommom38 09/17/10 - 07:11 am
I did not see where it was

I did not see where it was the kid asking, hence me telling the whining parent to use the funds elsewhere. The kid couldn't careless probably and it is the parent wanting the kid in this book. Yes sure, it is awesome for a senior to look back and see, but you have your graduation garb, senior pics, and yearbook itself. So I am baffled why this is even an issue for a parent? You're worried about ONE page. Will you also be back to rant about all the other high priced stuff as mentioned above? Oh, I forgot the most important, class ring!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/17/10 - 07:13 am
3/4 of them are women,

3/4 of them are women, youngest is 15. But they are still my babies!!!

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 09/17/10 - 07:16 am
Deke stop with that Stadium

Deke stop with that Stadium and get on an agenda that would advance this city.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/17/10 - 07:16 am

Special song for special people....St. John Towers ....hope you like it!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 09/17/10 - 07:20 am
From the administration that

From the administration that brought you "man-caused disaster" and "overseas contingency operation," another terminology change is in the pipeline.

The White House wants the public to start using the term "global climate disruption" in place of "global warming".

Because the others worked so well in place of "terrorist attack" and "war on terror". LOL

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/17/10 - 07:24 am
I honestly think it's all the

I honestly think it's all the hot air from Congress causing the global whatever we decide to call it this week.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/17/10 - 07:25 am

Love to hear this man sing......Wake up CG.......talk at you later folks!
p.s. if you don't like kuntry please put me on ignore button--thanks

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/17/10 - 07:26 am
*Note to the current White

*Note to the current White House Resident. Changing the name of a problem doesn't make it go away.

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/17/10 - 07:51 am
Regarding the poor woman who

Regarding the poor woman who fell out of her truck. How did it happen, her seat belt came loose and her door opened (I assume) while she was driving on the road, why?

Haudi Dew
Haudi Dew 09/17/10 - 07:53 am
Was wondering that myself

Was wondering that myself maggiemae

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/17/10 - 07:54 am
overburded and seenit..Now

overburded and seenit..Now why doesn't Obama tell us about all these good deeds? Hmmm.. You would think he doesn't want us to know.

usafvet
usafvet 09/17/10 - 08:01 am
No, But changing names of the

No, But changing names of the white house occupants will solve many problems.

Trouble
Trouble 09/17/10 - 08:20 am
changing his name wont make a

changing his name wont make a bit of difference if we dont change the person

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 09/17/10 - 08:24 am
good a.m... 1. Couldn't care

good a.m...

1. Couldn't care less, sorry.

2. Again, new to the area so no opinion

3. Well, publishing a year book isn't cheap. For the parents that can afford to pay for the senior page, it's actually a help to the students who don't have much, as it cuts the final cost of the book down for the rest. Isn't that what Obama wants us all to do? Redistribute the wealth? lol

4. nice

5. We'll never know for certain. Try google, maybe they can help.

6. That's awesome, really. I was 8 months pregnant with a 2 1/2 yr old in the back seat and my tire blew... nobody stopped to help. I managed on my own, but it's nice to know sometimes people are actually considerate of others.

7. nc

8. glad they helped but... now my curiosity wants to know how she fell out of her truck and what was going on that they needed to stop it from rolling into the intersection.

9. Umm... get your facts straight. It's illegal to have a cell phone in the county jail or prison. It's a FELONY to bring one in or be in possession of one, as it's considered contraband.

10. again, couldn't care less

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 09/17/10 - 08:29 am
overburdened @8:20 LOL! We

overburdened @8:20 LOL!

We have so much bigger issues than what we call things, but of course the current admin likes to cover those with nonsense like this. Who cares what we call it... to quote old Bill Shakespeare "that which we call a rose, By any other name would smell as sweet"