Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

This is a rant for the Richmond County jail: How can you not have books to read or cards to play? You put people in jail to sit and wait to see the outcome of their lives, and they have nothing to do to occupy their minds. And you wonder why you have so many fights and riots on your hands?

A ranter reports that a National Guard unit is "learning how to raise ... goats" so they can help people in the Middle East. Can the American government get any stupider? Goats, left alone, will "raise" themselves. If we want to help Middle Easterners with goats, we should ship every single American government office-holder over there. They're all goats.

This is a RANT to all of those who feel that people who receive any type of entitlement is a bum. I had to be placed on disability two years ago because of my health. Now I am better and transitioning back to work. People who receive unemployment, disability or food stamps are not all lazy. Sometimes people do just need a hand up.

Somebody is ranting that teachers have not received any money to buy school supplies for their classes. Clearly, that's just one more case of government total failure at being in charge of anything. At the same time, if a teacher has a chalk board and chalk, that can get her through. There's no way to depend on any "Board of Education" in the USA.

Guess who's the biggest money winner on the PGA Tour this year? Elin Woods.

I have another insight into the deputy sheriff's association. I received a call last fall identifying the organization and asking for my mother. I replied, "I'm sorry, she's deceased." The gentleman then said, "Well, tell her we'll call again during our next campaign." Does this speak for the intelligence of the man working for them?

As for drinking on post: That soldier boy can pull a trigger, so he ought to be able to open a beer can.

Tell us what you think
Emerydan
Emerydan 09/15/10 - 12:32 am
a "been" can?

a "been" can?

Roeschen
Roeschen 09/15/10 - 02:42 am
Geeze - Just think of the

Geeze - Just think of the comments if there were a Miss National White Only College Alumni Hall of Fame Pageant.

What is a been can? Is that like "has been?"

BLACKOUTDAWG1
BLACKOUTDAWG1 09/15/10 - 04:27 am
The best way to occupy those

The best way to occupy those poor little Angels in Jail. Put their behinds out on a work detail like in the earlier days, then when put back in the cell blocks, they would be to tired to fight.

catfish20
catfish20 09/15/10 - 05:19 am
Ditto BLACKOUTDAWG1....

Ditto BLACKOUTDAWG1.... litter and grass cutting detail along the roads.

mable8
mable8 09/15/10 - 05:49 am
"This is a rave for the young

"This is a rave for the young lady who was awarded Miss Paine College. She will now compete in the new Miss National Black Only College Alumni Hall of Fame Pageant on Saturday in Atlanta. Good luck, young lady." While everyone wishes her well, you don't mind if there are other pageants that lock out everyone except the group holding the event, do you? Miss National Native American Only College Alulmni, Miss National White Only College Allumni, Miss National Hispanic Only College Alumni............

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 09/15/10 - 06:00 am
The thugs in the Richmond

The thugs in the Richmond County jail should either be out cutting all the high grass around Augusta, Weed Whacking, picking up trash, or locked in their cell all day long. I could care less if they have cards or books- if they've been there for more than a day or two then their offense was more than likely serious and deserve what they get. (how many of them can read anyway?)

Zoe
Zoe 09/15/10 - 06:20 am
Gosh. I like it here this

Gosh. I like it here this morn. Very refreshing indeed.

Ya dang skippy on that last rant.

Zoe
Zoe 09/15/10 - 06:23 am
LOL Emerydan..I didn't even

LOL Emerydan..I didn't even notice that until I read your post.

Isn't it funny what the mind will still comprehend even when there is a misspelled word.

GET IT TOGETHER AC lol

corgimom
corgimom 09/15/10 - 06:22 am
"How can you not have books

"How can you not have books to read or cards to play?"

If you want to read books and play cards, don't do things to get yourself arrested and put in jail.

Maybe if you were home reading books and playing cards instead of committing offenses, you wouldn't be in jail.

Zoe
Zoe 09/15/10 - 06:23 am
o well.....see you guys

o well.....see you guys later.

corgimom
corgimom 09/15/10 - 06:25 am
"At the same time, if a

corgimom
corgimom 09/15/10 - 06:26 am
I want to have a pageant. It

I want to have a pageant.

It will be "RK's Girlfriends Only Pageant". There will be hundreds of contestants.

I have a tiara. So I'm gonna win.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/15/10 - 06:38 am
Good Morning America, My

Good Morning America, My Friends and My Foes.

1. Don't forget, they are all good God Fearing Mama"s boys who are being treated badly. They deserve the best!

2. "Can the American government get any stupider?" NOPE

3. I don't think anybody is calling you a "bum" if you truly deserve it. They are calling those that demand hands outs that do nothing but sit on their butts 24/7 and get fatter.

4. Teachers should never use their own money to buy students anything. When parents find out that handouts are not provided they may just stop eating steaks and down size to hot dogs.

5. marble8 covered that one.

6, SO?

7. They are the smart one's in this country.

8. "Does this speak for the intelligence of the man working for them?"
Hey, if you feel that way - Don't call them the next time you need Help!

9. I agree if it is a "beer" can.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/15/10 - 07:51 am
billoftt
billoftt 09/15/10 - 08:23 am
Throughout my entire life in

Throughout my entire life in education, I, as the student, had to bring my own school supplies.

If criminals want to read books, they should be in the Library instead of on the street commiting crimes.

"Can the American government get any stupider?" Yes, so stupid that they have people like you that use words that don't exist, such as "stupider."

So many people abuse the entitlement system, it has evolved into something that will always be viewed in a negative light. I am glad to hear that the "Hand Up" has helped you become a more productive member of society. It is the too many "Hand Out" that gives hard workers such as yourself a bad rap.

I never want to hear anything about Tiger, Elin, or anyone else tied to the Woods family ever again for the duration of my time on Earth.

"It is shameful if some schools and parents do not allow students to hear the president's address to them. He is the president." Where was that attitude when Bush was in office?

I never give donations to those who solicit them on teh telephone.

As far as the last rant, I have no idea what the situation was, but I do know that AR 670-1 states "Soldiers may not wear ACUs in establishments that primarily sell alcohol. If the establishment sells alcohol and food, Soldiers may not wear utility uniforms if their activities in the establishment center on drinking alcohol only."

My rant responses are out of order, thus I have provided you all with more entertainment in the form of a puzzle. Good hunting.

happychimer
19624
happychimer 09/15/10 - 08:54 am
It is shameful for any school

It is shameful for any school or parent not to allow kids to hear the President's address to them. That means any President of this country.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 09/15/10 - 08:55 am
"You put people in jail to

"You put people in jail to sit and wait to see the outcome of their lives, and they have nothing to do to occupy their minds." If someone is in the RC jail, they're probably spending their time wondering which Judge is is going to find them a victim of societal ills, and looking forward to the ham sandwich they'll be given on the way out of court. Oooo! Look, a five dollar bill! Seriously, those institutions that had all the amenities for the prisoners were those with the highest violent incident rates as the inmates fought for dominance over those resources like they did on the outside. In an effort to lessen the conflicts, administration removed the sources of contention.

Goats are hardy, useful creatures; I think I shall call PETA to report their abuse at being compared to government functionaries.

People do need a hand up; unfortunately, all the funds --and more-- are being siphoned off to maintain a multigenerational entitlement class. In real constant dollars we've spent the equivalent of SIX WW-II's to fight a "war on poverty,' and the result is: Poverty, the way the bureaucrats figure it, has reached the level of 20% of our population. It was 8% when LBJ and the Democrats began 'helping.'

"At the same time, if a teacher has a chalk board and chalk, that can get her through." Totally missing the point, an educator replied, "I haven't seen a chalk board and chalk in 20 years. Obviously, that ranter doesn't have a clue." There were classrooms here in CC less than a decade ago that still had those- they were replaced by white boards, digital displays, computers and puppet shows in schools. The problem is not the media; I earned a degree without ever seeing a whiteboard; it's the person standing in front of class who thinks having the latest toys will replace teaching skills who's the problem.

"Miss National Black Only College Alumni Hall of Fame Pageant" But it's whites who are divisive and exclude all races equal participation, right?

The Obamessiah's speech? I doubt if He cared whether a single child watched it. Got him on the front pages without a teleprompter gaffe, which I suspect was the idea all along: Change the focus from his collapsing image and serial failures.

"...(B)oy can pull a trigger, so he ought to be able to open a beer can." Isn't that already taken, as the motto of the Augusta gangbangers? Thought I saw it graffitti'd while driving just about anywhere off Broad Street.

crackerjack
crackerjack 09/15/10 - 09:04 am
The jailbirds have a

The jailbirds have a collection of books that have some of the best stories ever told. The Bible! And if they are complaining about having nothing to do, let them pick up the potato chip bags, used syringes, and broken liquor bottles around the area of 2nd 3rd and 4th street, near S. Boundary.

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/15/10 - 09:24 am
A wild and wonderful

A wild and wonderful Wednesday to all who serve this forum and to all who have burned and risen again! (and those who will soon follow)...Hail the spirits that will not die!...lol have a great day folks.

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/15/10 - 09:26 am
Ahh but corgi do you have the

Ahh but corgi do you have the butt glue and the instant boobies?

billoftt
billoftt 09/15/10 - 09:35 am
A slow day thus far. A ham

A slow day thus far. A ham sandwich sounds tasty. Have any of you ever been so broke that you ate Jam Sandwiches? You know, Two peices of bread jammed together.

RAWR
RAWR 09/15/10 - 09:37 am
Come on ... do you think most

Come on ... do you think most of the people getting locked up in Richmond Co can read? Some of the criminals are incarcerated for denying liberties to someone else. So why should they get more rights than those they denied them to? I vote to bring back chain gangs and put them to work. Or 24/7 solitary like the good ole days, before liberals got involved.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/15/10 - 09:47 am
Gooooood Morning,friends and

Gooooood Morning,friends and fellow ACP's! A special good morning to our Veterans and those now serving in our nation's defense!

Billoftt, we've been so broke, we had to wash our clothes in a creek, eat "poke salad," and had to drink spring water from Artesian wells. My car was a stallion named "Dusty." A "jam sammich" was a luxury! Yessir,
been on that boardwalk!

usafvet
usafvet 09/15/10 - 10:00 am
Bill, after your lesson in

Bill, after your lesson in grammar, I'm glad you corrected your spelling. Have a good day. I too enjoy proof reading, I just seem to overlook my errors.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/15/10 - 10:03 am
Happy, your opinion about

Happy, your opinion about what is, or is not shameful, doesn't hold water! There are over 300 million Americans, and we all have opinions on what is, or is not shameful! Apparently, some people do not worship the President like other's apparently do! As you often state, you're entitled to your opinion, regardless of what others may think!

I, for one, think it is a parent's right to guide their children in the manner they see fit. I'm sure you guided your's in the manner you saw fit!

A school is guided by policies established by the school boards! Take this mater up with them, and see what they tell you!

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 09/15/10 - 10:12 am
I don't mind my child

I don't mind my child listening to the president's speech as long as its heard at home where we as parents get to discuss our beliefs as to the statements instead of a teacher who probably does not share our principles. I do not expect or desire for the school's to shape my child's religious beliefs nor their political ones...

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/15/10 - 10:29 am
Agreed, R.E.! Frankly, I

Agreed, R.E.! Frankly, I believe that educators should not be allowed to express any personal opinion pertaining to either politics, or Religion! I also believe that it would be a very difficult task to prevent such actions, because we do not know what goes on in the classroom. They should stick strictly to academics! Allow the parents to shape their children's minds, in those respects!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/15/10 - 10:42 am
I want to know WHY when there

I want to know WHY when there is a major gas leak including an explosion of the road creating a crater in a major thoroughfare, that I get word of it not through some emergency warning system, but my MOM's phone call? Shouldn't there be a siren to alert people so they can tune into an emergency broadcasting system on radio and TV or their favorite electronic communications device, to get further instructions such as to warn people to stay away from the area? This is the second largest city in Georgia, what are we going to do, wait for a larger disaster with casualties this time, before we wake up and smell the roses???? Did anyone notice what happened in San Bruno???

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/15/10 - 10:45 am
If we don't have an Emergency

If we don't have an Emergency Management Director, why NOT? The system as it is, certainly didn't alert the public.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/15/10 - 10:48 am
Good question, F.L.! I know

Good question, F.L.! I know the answer according to Col. Cty. EMD, Pam Tucker. She and the "powers to be" do not believe that sirens are the answer. I happen to disagree! (Pam and I are friends!) :0)