Miss Paine to compete with College Queens

Ciara Harris, a junior at Paine College, will compete in the Miss National Black College Alumni Hall of Fame Pageant on Saturday in Atlanta.

Harris was named Miss Paine College 2010-11 and will represent the school in the Competition of College Queens, which showcases young women from historically black colleges and universities.

The winner serves as an advocate for black colleges and universities and receives an academic scholarship and other prizes.

At Paine, Harris is a member of the Student Government Association, Georgia Association of Educators and Lions Activity Board. She is an early-childhood education major and a tutor for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Augusta.

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/14/10 - 04:00 am
Where is her photo, AC?

Where is her photo, AC?

gmt
gmt 09/14/10 - 08:09 am
LynxRHot
LynxRHot 09/14/10 - 08:40 am
When is the Miss National

When is the Miss National White College Alumni Hall of Fame Pageant? I would like to attend.

NotReallyGA12
NotReallyGA12 09/14/10 - 08:52 am
LynxRHot google it and see if

LynxRHot google it and see if they have one and attend *DUH*. If they don't start one *DUH* *DUH*

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/14/10 - 08:56 am
lol jackie if they started

lol jackie if they started one the outcry of racism would deafen the Country.....it's that oneway street that so many follow.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/14/10 - 08:59 am
Yep betty.....afraid you are

Yep betty.....afraid you are right...one way street.

NotReallyGA12
NotReallyGA12 09/14/10 - 09:48 am
Why I wonder, maybe LynxRHot

Why I wonder, maybe LynxRHot need to look into the red neck games, maybe they have a queen. Again START one, who's stopping you? Geez

KingJames
KingJames 09/14/10 - 10:55 am
You don't have to be Black to

You don't have to be Black to win. You have to be a beauty queen from a historically Black college or university. Yes, there are whites who attend HBCUs.

Hampton University had a biracial (white and asian) queen last year. Sadly, her win brought controversy. Here's a link to check it out. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/15/AR200910....

Norfolk State University's football coach is white. http://www.nsuspartans.com/coaches.aspx?rc=169&path=football.

And I know we all remember Morehouse's white valedictorian from 2008. http://articles.cnn.com/2008-05-16/us/white.valedictorian_1_morehouse-co....

These schools are historically but not exclusively Black.

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 09/14/10 - 12:55 pm
The point is that I, nor

The point is that I, nor anyone else, could create any type of pageant with "white" mentioned as a description. Everyone knows that the NAACP would be all over it like white on rice, no pun intended. Nor would we be able to label a pageant as being for queens from "historically white" schools. As for the comment on the redneck games, I'm not a redneck, and thus choose not to attend. Being white does not equate to being a redneck.

ddfowler
ddfowler 09/14/10 - 01:08 pm
Excuse me white pageants are

Excuse me white pageants are all over the place....Miss America and Miss Universe....dah

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 09/14/10 - 01:10 pm
ddfowler....you need to do

ddfowler....you need to do some research. Miss America is not classified as a white pageant...never has been. As for Miss Universe...DUH....UNIVERSE....ALL RACES....DUHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/14/10 - 01:19 pm
ddfowler, I do believe that

ddfowler, I do believe that the Miss America and Miss Universe pageants are for all races, not just whites.

KingJames
KingJames 09/14/10 - 02:31 pm
LynxRHot, please don't use

LynxRHot, please don't use that old argument. I don't think events should be labeled as Black or white, but I have to admit the labels were attached when things were separate and unequal. A beauty contest with the word Black in it meant Black women could compete. A beauty contest without the word Black in it meant Black women could not compete. Had there not been pageants that were labeled Black, there probably wouldn't have been any Black beauty queens back in the day. The point behind my examples is that the color barrier has been broken, especially at HBCUs of all places! You would know exactly what I mean if you read about HU's homecoming queen. Miss Paine is going to a national pageant for Black Colleges. Even if the name was changed to say it was for historically Black colleges, you would probably still have a problem with that. Why have a problem with HBCUs if there is no problem with Ivy League schools, espeically if most students attending those schools are perceived to have come from upper class white families (they just don't say it in the Ivy League title)? I think you're making a lot out of nothing. If you feel that strongly about HBCUs, then you should try to break some color barriers on behalf of the white race. You can start by sending your kids to Paine College and encouraging them to run for Miss Paine.

j2says
j2says 09/14/10 - 03:04 pm
Beautifully said King James.

Beautifully said King James.

KingJames
KingJames 09/14/10 - 04:22 pm
Iletuknow, the contest is not

Iletuknow, the contest is not for black women only. It's for beauty queens from historically black colleges and universities. Any woman of any race can attend an HBCU, become the school's queen as in the case of Miss Hampton University, and represent the school at this pageant. Besides, I think Vanessa Williams, Suzette Charles, Kimberly Clarice Aiken, Ericka Dunlap, Debbye Turner, Ericka Harold, and Caressa Cameron would disagree with you. All of those ladies didn't just compete against white women, they won against them to become Miss America.

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 09/15/10 - 08:52 am
KingJames....you made a good

KingJames....you made a good point...."there probably wouldn't have been any Black beauty queens back in the day"....that's just it...back in the day is OVER, so there should no longer be a need to still attach a color label to any pageant.

KingJames
KingJames 09/15/10 - 11:08 am
LynxRHot, please read the

LynxRHot, please read the second sentence of my Tuesday, Sep. 14 2:31 PM post again. Also, please read the sentence immediately following the one you just quoted. I took the time to explain why the word Black appears in so many things, then I took the time to explain that those things have evolved and are still evolving to include people of other races. You're stuck on the explanation, and appear to not be able to see beyond titles with Black in them. You obviously subconsciously accept them in some instances. I ask you, when you think of Augusta State University don't you simply think of it as a university? When you think of Paine College do you simply think of it as college or do you think of it as the Black college in Augusta? Even if you don't think of Paine as the Black college in Augusta, you've probably still come to know it as the college attended by mostly Black students. By doing so, you accept that Paine is an HBCU. I don't like labelling anything as being specifically for Blacks, and I've stated that. I'm not justifying the use of the word Black in the title of this pageant, but I understand it's historical context. I wish it was dropped, as well, but for reasons that are different from your's. You appear to not like when something is labelled Black because you can't label something white because doing so is politically incorrect and socially insensitive (see your Tuesday, Sep. 14 8:40 AM post). I don't like when something is labelled Black because there should be universal inclusion of all races in everything.