Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

"Breathalyzers at establishments so that we know how much we've drank." This was done many years ago at a favorite Augusta establishment as a novelty. I remember asking the bartender for a disposable mouth piece for the machine. He said, "We do not have any and the machine will be gone soon because our alcohol sales are suffering too much." How about requiring a blood-alcohol test for the drivers before they leave any establishment that serves alcohol. Take the hint, Augusta, and become notable nationwide for a great reason.

It is great that there were volunteers trying to clean up around Butler. Unfortunately it does not "clean up" the problems of the interior. I am a 1991 graduate of Butler and am embarrassed when asked by anyone where I graduated because of its reputation.

Why are so many Americans disturbed about the pastor burning the Quran ? Does it bother Americans when an American flag or a Bible is burned? I do not condone it, but people seem to forget freedom of speech when another religion is "insulted."

Deke's Facebook posting about his jogging schedule is distasteful because Augusta- Richmond County has dire issues. Not everyone can jog in a neighborhood because of crime and blight. Marie Antoinette lost her head because she neglected the common people. We want Deke's head in November!

Let me get this straight. The mayor wants to spend tens of millions of dollars on a new ball park. We spend hundreds of thousands to pay off fired incompetent employees. Yet the city of Augusta says we cannot afford to clean up the blight and nuisance properties that breed crime and drag down our property values. It sounds like Augusta has its priorities out of line.

Headline: "Scientist to treat water pollution with artificial wetlands." 1. There's no true definition of "wetland." Oxford University dictionary for 1993 makes no mention of a word called "wetland," thus it is a newly minted scam word from progressive power grabbers. 2. There's no such thing, so the power grabbers plan to use an "artificial" no-such-thing, and that's supposed to save the planet? This stuff is really getting ridiculous. How can you make an artificial nothing?

Headline: "Humped dino is discovered." They "believe what they have discovered" is a dinosaur. It is a "nearly compete fossil..." It "might have" been something. One genius "thinks the only conceivable explanation is " is that it "could easily have been." It's from "125 million years ago," a time that never was. Its arms "seem like..." There's not one word of concrete fact in the whole story, just guessing.

Tell us what you think

Submit a rant or rave.

KSL
KSL 09/13/10 - 07:08 pm
LOL. You never can tell when

LOL. You never can tell when something will come in handy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/10 - 07:12 pm
ksl...I don't know what kind

ksl...I don't know what kind of prank you & eyes were talking about (on r&r awhile back) but it must have been a good one to last 1200 posts in 1 day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/10 - 07:17 pm
Gotta leave you good

Gotta leave you good folks......seeya in am

corgimom
corgimom 09/13/10 - 07:30 pm
Seenit- I have been to

Seenit- I have been to Wasilla AK more than once. It is a dreary, sad place to live.

It's like the Flint, MI of AK- if you've ever been to Flint.

Emerydan
Emerydan 09/13/10 - 07:32 pm
I don't have a problem with

I don't have a problem with what Deke posts on his facebook page. I could care less. He is allowed to have a personal life. Now the rant about the ballpark is right on target.

corgimom
corgimom 09/13/10 - 07:40 pm
RCR, I don't live in fear.

RCR, I don't live in fear.

However, I believe in "The Lord helps those who helps themselves", and anybody that goes into a high-crime area is asking for trouble- and sooner or later they will find it.

I used to go all over Augusta in the 80's, day or night, and never have a worry.

Then crack came into Augusta, decimated it, and it has never been the same.

There are now places in Augusta I won't go into day OR night. The house that I used to live in is now in a horrible area. And after nearly hitting a crazy man running down the middle of Walton Way one night, I don't go there at night, either.

I used to volunteer at the Master's Table- and saw all the criminals there-they'd come there high as a kite- and then I'd see them later walking the streets of downtown. We'd look into their eyes when we were serving food- "Nobody home". They had an armed RCSO officer in there every day, and still bad things happened. I finally quit- it just wasn't safe.

That's why when Countyman says his stuff about downtown being safe- I laugh, I know better.

corgimom
corgimom 09/13/10 - 07:45 pm
The ACLU is suing my

The ACLU is suing my childhood school district- Poway Unified- about the unConstitutionality of charging schoolchildren fees for school programs.

Like band. Like athletics. Like cheerleading. Like art. Like locker fees. Like parking fees.

YES, IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

It's a test case, and they expect to win.

momster59
momster59 09/14/10 - 04:11 am
corgi - I live in the

corgi - I live in the downtown area in a very close knit neighborhood. I'm downtown all the time and I don't see what you are describing. I'm not taking my butt out anywhere at 2-3 a.m., but during regular hours the downtown area is as safe as any and there are oodles of great shops and restaurants, the Saturday Market, First Friday and lots of cultural events. I didn't read what RCR wrote, but from your response, it does sound like you're living in fear.

Emerydan
Emerydan 09/13/10 - 07:48 pm
I voted for Deke the last

I voted for Deke the last time but I will not this time. His insistence on pushing for this ballpark when the vast majority of the people in the city are against it shows how out of touch with Augusta and its citizens he is. I have seen basic services continue to decline in the last 5 years. He listens only to his clique of myrmadons who also have their heads buried so far in the sand that they can see China. I'm all for revitalizing downtown, but going into debt to the tune of $35 million to build another boondoggle with money that we do not have is not the way to go, especially when we cannot even seem to find the money to have a real police substation downtown on Broad Street. deke and his "followers" live in a fantasy land. We need practical leaders with practical answers to the problems facing this city, not the same old ignore the obvious game. I am a big supporter of downtown and want to see it thrive, but under deke's great leadership we have seen Fort Discover fold, Golf and Gardens wither up and close, the White's building in perpetual limbo, the watermark condo plan evaporate. Sure there are some new businesses downtown, but there are about an equal number that have closed in the last 5 years. I'm not blaming this all on Deke, but this perception that he somehow has lured all of this new development to downtown with his "contacts" is just pure balderdash. Why couldn't he get his inlaws to buy The White's Building and finish that job?

momster59
momster59 09/13/10 - 07:49 pm
I do a lot of work with some

I do a lot of work with some of the homeless and work at the Masters Table when I am able.
Ignorance breeds fear, fear breeds anger, anger breeds hatred, hatred breeds intolerance.

Tots
Tots 09/13/10 - 07:53 pm
I fear the people I cain't

I fear the people I cain't see,the ones I only hear.

Anybody got some tin foil?

30cal
30cal 09/13/10 - 07:54 pm
I would not let my

I would not let my grandaughter down there alone but its not as hostile as some make it sound. but then its not the area i would look in for a baby sitter. I think the average self confident adult would have no problem most hours .

corgimom
corgimom 09/13/10 - 07:55 pm
Momster, I hope that you

Momster, I hope that you never have a problem in Downtown Augusta.
I think it's great that you don't.

You don't see it because you aren't looking for it.

Go ask the shopkeepers on Broad St about why they park in front of their businesses. It's not because they're lazy.

momster59
momster59 09/13/10 - 07:56 pm
Tots - are you off your meeds

Tots - are you off your meeds again?

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 09/13/10 - 07:56 pm
I'm ignorant, fearful, angry,

I'm ignorant, fearful, angry, hateful, and intolerant and I want to breed.

corgimom
corgimom 09/13/10 - 07:58 pm
Momster- how many times have

Momster- how many times have cokeheads hit you up in the parking lot for money, as they did me?

Do the drug addicts still try to use in the bathroom, where Joann and the officer have to wrestle them out of the bathroom?

Those are just 2 of the incidents that happened to me. Maybe it's different now, but it was bad back then- early 2000's.

momster59
momster59 09/13/10 - 07:57 pm
sounds like a cockroach

sounds like a cockroach

Tots
Tots 09/13/10 - 07:57 pm
Big thank you to John at the

Big thank you to John at the gun show.Hope to see you again.

Tots
Tots 09/13/10 - 08:00 pm
Mom@7:56pm-Do they have meeds

Mom@7:56pm-Do they have meeds for what I needs?

momster59
momster59 09/13/10 - 08:00 pm
HaHaHaHa! Panhandlers are

HaHaHaHa! Panhandlers are easily dealt with, tell them you have no money to give them. I deal with them every day. Most of them are really not bad people. I've also had panhandlers approach me in N. Augusta, and even at shopping complexes in CC, in Frankfurt Germany, Paris France, you name it. If you're scared of panhandlers, I agree with RCR completely.

30cal
30cal 09/13/10 - 08:01 pm
THINK ME GO DETROIT where i

THINK ME GO DETROIT where i may be safe.

momster59
momster59 09/13/10 - 08:02 pm
Tots - baby girl they got the

Tots - baby girl they got the hook up for anything that ails you. Personally, I like the voices in my head. They are so much nicer than the ones on the outside. ;-)

momster59
momster59 09/13/10 - 08:05 pm
Tots! You were at the

Tots! You were at the gunshow!? Everyone was pulling in there on Saturday as I was leaving the 10K run!

corgimom
corgimom 09/13/10 - 08:05 pm
It wasn't a panhandler. It

It wasn't a panhandler. It was someone who specifically came to me, after I had served her food, and wanted me to give her $15. That's not panhandling.

That was the first one. They would go outside and then come into the parking lot to hit up the volunteers- against the MT's rules.

But I'm sure you know that.

30cal
30cal 09/13/10 - 08:05 pm
I trust the voices they

I trust the voices they warned me you were all out to get me and they were right.

momster59
momster59 09/13/10 - 08:06 pm
Bwaaaahahahahaha!

Bwaaaahahahahaha!

Tots
Tots 09/13/10 - 08:07 pm
Went Sunday.

Went Sunday.

momster59
momster59 09/13/10 - 08:08 pm
Corgi - Sure do. If you're

Corgi - Sure do. If you're scared, then you are doing the right thing staying away. I guess I understand how to deal with them better. Some of the deepest people I have ever met have been at soup kitchens and homeless shelters. They have issues, but many of them are real deep people.

Tots
Tots 09/13/10 - 08:13 pm
.30cal-Dont think Tank would

.30cal-Dont think Tank would let us close too you.

usafvet
usafvet 09/13/10 - 08:19 pm
I believe a lot of people

I believe a lot of people hear voices in their heads. With some it is genetic, with some it is caused by intake (orally or intravenously) Some are so fortunate that music causes it. Whatever causes it, if you like it enjoy it. However, I am not medically qualified to evaluate other people's behavior and determine if they do or do not take meds. I certainly do not possess extra sensory abilities which would enable me to evaluate via computer.