Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

"Breathalyzers at establishments so that we know how much we've drank." This was done many years ago at a favorite Augusta establishment as a novelty. I remember asking the bartender for a disposable mouth piece for the machine. He said, "We do not have any and the machine will be gone soon because our alcohol sales are suffering too much." How about requiring a blood-alcohol test for the drivers before they leave any establishment that serves alcohol. Take the hint, Augusta, and become notable nationwide for a great reason.

It is great that there were volunteers trying to clean up around Butler. Unfortunately it does not "clean up" the problems of the interior. I am a 1991 graduate of Butler and am embarrassed when asked by anyone where I graduated because of its reputation.

Why are so many Americans disturbed about the pastor burning the Quran ? Does it bother Americans when an American flag or a Bible is burned? I do not condone it, but people seem to forget freedom of speech when another religion is "insulted."

Deke's Facebook posting about his jogging schedule is distasteful because Augusta- Richmond County has dire issues. Not everyone can jog in a neighborhood because of crime and blight. Marie Antoinette lost her head because she neglected the common people. We want Deke's head in November!

Let me get this straight. The mayor wants to spend tens of millions of dollars on a new ball park. We spend hundreds of thousands to pay off fired incompetent employees. Yet the city of Augusta says we cannot afford to clean up the blight and nuisance properties that breed crime and drag down our property values. It sounds like Augusta has its priorities out of line.

Headline: "Scientist to treat water pollution with artificial wetlands." 1. There's no true definition of "wetland." Oxford University dictionary for 1993 makes no mention of a word called "wetland," thus it is a newly minted scam word from progressive power grabbers. 2. There's no such thing, so the power grabbers plan to use an "artificial" no-such-thing, and that's supposed to save the planet? This stuff is really getting ridiculous. How can you make an artificial nothing?

Headline: "Humped dino is discovered." They "believe what they have discovered" is a dinosaur. It is a "nearly compete fossil..." It "might have" been something. One genius "thinks the only conceivable explanation is " is that it "could easily have been." It's from "125 million years ago," a time that never was. Its arms "seem like..." There's not one word of concrete fact in the whole story, just guessing.

Tell us what you think

Submit a rant or rave.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/13/10 - 09:58 am
RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/13/10 - 10:05 am
Artificial Nothing: noun, 1.

Artificial Nothing: noun, 1. Something made and manipulated by man; 2. An object without any real use. Synonyms 1. Empty Suit; 2. Post Turtle

Usage example- How much longer will we have to deal with the artificial noting in the the White House?

countyman
countyman 09/13/10 - 10:15 am
I've never seen any rants

I've never seen any rants included about Lori Davis. I've seen some raves, but not rants. I guess Billy Morris is mad, because Deke is behind Cal Ripken and Jim Jacoby. All three of them want to build a mix-use development attached to a baseball stadium. While Billy Morris wants a new Morris Museum of Art on the property.

And why is somebody complaining about Deke's facebook page? You should be happy our mayor is progressive and share's daily what's going on in Augusta. Most mayor's don't even regularly communicate with the ''common'' people. Especially the age group facebook is geared towards(18-25)...

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/13/10 - 10:26 am
I am just wondering if the

I am just wondering if the lack of rants for Lori Davis indicate support? Just curious.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 09/13/10 - 10:26 am
there are loads of older

there are loads of older folks on facebook. there are all ages. Facebook is a good way to keep up with family and close friends.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/13/10 - 11:28 am
If my family posts $500,000

If my family posts $500,000 bail, I promise I will return for trial to a country where I have absolutely no rights.

countyman
countyman 09/13/10 - 12:14 pm
I can tell who the paper is

I can tell who the paper is supporting. I don't think there's been one single rave for Deke. A man who got 65% of the vote in the last election. I don't think I've seen a rant against Lori. Everybody knows the chronicle controls what they're going to publish..

How many mayors in Augusta have gotten 65% of the vote.. Deke broke down the racial, class, religion, etc, lbarriers...

Nothing against Lori Davis, but time will tell if she's another Butch? Remember we were told Butch Palmer had all this support.. When in reality it was only Harrisburg behind him...

billoftt
billoftt 09/13/10 - 12:21 pm
I just wanted to let everyone

I just wanted to let everyone know that I really like cheese.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/13/10 - 12:32 pm
Good afternoon, everyone,

Good afternoon, everyone, fellow commenters, Friends and others! There has been a rash of deleted members of late, and possibly what I am about to post should explain why. I fully agree with this personal reply from the Chief Moderator, and will endevor to follow the terms of the TOS, to the best of my ability. However, I am far from perfect!

With his permission; "My aim is to give everyone as much freedom to give their personal opinion as possible - without insulting other commenters. I do allow harsh criticism of Christians, atheists, Muslims, republicans, democrats, etc. I take exception to your friend writing that I allow anyone to call them “an ignorant, bigoted moron.” We pull every commenter-to-commenter insult we see. If I could figure out a way to ban all insults without seriously curtailing the discussions we have here, I would, but I don’t think that is possible. Insults between commenters however, are not allowed and are closely policed.

I challenge them to find and email me any instances of someone insulting them personally – not general insults towards Christians or conservatives. We may miss one or two, but I scan most comments personally, so I don’t think we miss very many.

I try to give every user the opportunity to learn what is acceptable and adjust their commenting style. Once I decide they will not change how they comment, I block them. That will not stop them from coming in under a new name. If they show that they will continue posting the same way under the new name, I take the further step of blocking them every time I recognize who they are. There are several well-known commenters who have reached this stage. Every time I see them, I block them. They are causing me a lot of trouble because of that too.

Any restriction I put on liberals would have to be placed on conservatives as well. We would have a very sterile forum if I banned all insults. The best I can come up with is banning insults directed at other commenters.

I hope this helped explain the rather crappy job I have been asked to do. The best advice I can give is to post their opinion without insulting each other. Once I make the decision to block someone permanently, they will have a hard time getting off that list."

john
john 09/13/10 - 12:44 pm
Deke has been posting

Deke has been posting exercise stuff because he is training for the ESI 1/2 Ironman Triathlon later this month. This is a huge event for the area. Get over yourself. Dont read his facebook page. I agree also with the previous poster that there are lots of places to run/exercise if you dont like your neighborhood. Try the Greenway. Good luck Deke!

GAterp
GAterp 09/13/10 - 12:51 pm
I've read the R&R and nothing

I've read the R&R and nothing stood out today. I've read all of the comments too, breezing through some of the longer superfluous ones, but I found the comment at 1:21 PM the most enlightening! Asiago, provolone, percorni-romano, and so on and so forth. There is a lot of whine here and some of it is sour; but a good cheese is an art.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/13/10 - 01:58 pm
Everybody is afraid to post

Everybody is afraid to post their true feelings anymore. There has been too much killing going on. The deaths are currently being investigated by the Richmond/Columbia Counties Task Force with assistance from Aiken and Edgefield Sheriffs Departments and the Major Case Squad from North Augusta. Authorities are afraid the killings cover the entire CSRA and are all linked.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 09/13/10 - 02:10 pm
Seenitb4, the RR's have

Seenitb4, the RR's have evolved many times over the years that I've had the chance to witness. Originally it was used for the purpose intended. Responses to rants or raves (hubby used to make comments on it back then.) But then it became a social page where peeps did the meet and greets. We had a LOT of fun back then. We even had one night where our posts broke the thousand post mark (in fact I think it would up being about 1100posts before we hung it up.) ...we worried that the AC would end the RR's altogether because of our prank.

Then the RR's developed cliques and became divisive for various reasons. Some people began calling in complaints on a regular basis against other posters for the purpose of having posts removed and hoping to get posters banned. This began a downward spiral of anger, pettiness and spite. Dozens of us 'old timers' left the site when they began feeling that their posts were unjustifiably removed because certain frequent complainers marked their posts merely because they'd spotted their names and despised them.

Marching ahead to today, a lot of us 'old timers' still peek into the RR's to see what you 'young-uns' are about but this place no longer feels like the home we once enjoyed and so don't choose to participate.

But hey, its doing some good,... Zoe and I used to be at one another's throats but now we have some things to agree on...... LOL!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/10 - 02:13 pm
Karma is a word from the

Karma is a word from the philosophy of many Indian religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism). The basic theory is that the universe runs according to certain laws, all described by one word 'Dharma' (Sanskrit) or 'Dhamma' (Pali). The basic theory is: 'cause and affect'. The laws (Dharma) decide what affect is beget from a given cause. Karma is the 'cause' part of this theory. In other words, your actions - mental, vocal and physical are your Karma (plural).

Please note that in the Buddhist philosophy, Dharma does not 'punish' or 'reward' anyone. The concepts of good and bad don't exist here. For example, gravity is one of the laws of the universe, and if you jumped off a building and killed yourself, we wouldn't say that gravity was punishing you.
Selfless service will help 'improve' my Karma.

Does anyone believe in karma.....ACE Forgiveness is divine & some deserve it......I think I remember another saying I NEVER forgive.....
We will be skeeered to post at all...(with my temper)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/13/10 - 02:17 pm
Hiya Eyes, oops, that is

Hiya Eyes, oops, that is socializing, sorry

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 09/13/10 - 02:18 pm
"If you can't jog in your

"If you can't jog in your neighborhood then go to a facility where you can jog safely."
That sure solves the unsafe neighborhood problem.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 09/13/10 - 02:20 pm
Good afternoon.Today is a

Good afternoon.Today is a beautiful day, and I said my prayer for our country and our leaders, including our President. Do not drink and drive. Those who drink and drive are selfish. They only care about themselves.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 09/13/10 - 02:21 pm
LOL Roadkill, I won't report

LOL Roadkill, I won't report you! Smooches!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/10 - 02:22 pm

Thank you for your kind reply Eyes......I do agree that groups do form & cause trouble for others by constant reporting...like kids at a school ground..we should be able to post our thoughts without snipes & constant insults & I think "most" on here post that way...we have some smart posters & of course we won't always agree on everything. Why should we... dull life if we did....I'm glad I read Doc's post B4 it was jerked off....thanks for your honesty. :)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/13/10 - 02:23 pm
CCP and carry while jogging.

CCP and carry while jogging. After a couple of "examples" the streets will start to become civil again.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/13/10 - 02:26 pm
I must make a confession to

I must make a confession to the rest of my girlfriends. Eyes was the first and still the bestest.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/10 - 02:28 pm
Gettouttahere RK.

Gettouttahere RK.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/13/10 - 02:31 pm
But I still luvs all of ya!

But I still luvs all of ya!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/10 - 02:32 pm
Is it possible to have TOO

Is it possible to have TOO many girlfriends...

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/13/10 - 02:34 pm
Not from my perspective.

Not from my perspective.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/10 - 02:37 pm
I just saw an email of

I just saw an email of "someone"in the buff...can't be her cause she never looked that good....I just wonder if my nekkid photos will show up when I become famous (made in my younger years) & what rascal on here would post them!!!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/13/10 - 02:41 pm
Since the shoot out at AC

Since the shoot out at AC corral, this town has become so quite and peaceful that it has become almost a dull place with nothing to do. I agree that it was getting a little lawless and a shoot out was required by the lawmen. Personally I prefer to hear a bang sound once in a while as long as blanks are used, just like in the old cowboy movies.

Sean, what do you think about paroling some that have survived the shoot out with the same butt chewing that I received. 44 post at this time of day gives you the feeling that we all are picking flowers to put on the dinning table.

Let it rock and roll as long as no live rounds are fired and no shooting in the back. That is just my suggestion, some may disagree with me.

But on your part, make sure everybody has the same number of blanks.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 09/13/10 - 02:43 pm
Rk......Dang! You are such a

Rk......Dang! You are such a silver tongue devil sweet talker! And such a good looking one to boot!!! But sweetie I know that your heart was claimed by the scent of Trouble from the get go.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/10 - 02:44 pm
I'm missing a few blanks

I'm missing a few blanks Cg....so give some of yours.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 09/13/10 - 02:47 pm
I'd like to see a good old

I'd like to see a good old fashion tag team rasslin' match at Bell Auditorium with posters only. I have been practicing my sleeper hold on my wife or at least that is what she claims when she falls asleep when we are making whoopee.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.