Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

I was disappointed on Labor Day when not one station in the area showed a telethon for MDA. This has been a yearly event as long as I can remember. Some of the firefighters in s outh Augusta got out in the heat and collected money for this event.

Teachers were furloughed eight days and lost this pay. To add insult to injury, some teachers have not received one penny to buy supplies for their classrooms. Where does the Board of Education think the money has come from to buy paper and other basics for the past 21 days?

Rave for the wonderful new paving on Reynolds Street but a rant to the trucks racing down the street.

Rants to Cross Creek. The administration should treat all staffers as they demand to be treated. They really have the new superintendent fooled. There are a lot of problems, not giving staffers the help they need, walking away from teachers while they are talking to them, not responding to important e-mails and treating some staffers as though they are not worthy of their time. It is frustrating to get your job done without support and respect.

New to the area: Why is it that every dog in my Martinez neighborhood barks at my puppy at night while he's doing his business, scaring us to death, follows us on our walks, uses our yard as a bathroom, and my little guy is the only one on a leash and has a controlled potty area. Leash laws? Apparently not here!

North Augusta ran out of mosquito-killing spray? The taxes should pay for services to protect the well-being of the community. Mosquitoes are a health hazard; our leaders should think about that the next time they sit in their offices in the new town hall castle.

This is a huge RANT against the new Columbia County School System Parent Portal. We're over a month into the new school year, the first progress report has come and gone, and the system is still not operational. Maybe, just maybe, they will have it up and running by the end of the school year. Why did you dump i-Parent, which worked just fine, to attempt to implement a system that is not working?

It's nice that Columbia County is going to have one health department that serves all, but are they also going to provide transportation for the area people losing their local health departments who will have no way to get there?

This is a rant for the nurses picketing the VA. If those nurses have not been on the floor to do service to patients in 20 to 30 years, they need to retire or get in a clerical line of work. My husband was there in October, and the nurses were rude, not very helpful, sat behind the desks, laughing, looking at a computer. I don't have any sympathy for their pickets.

Tell us what you think

Comments (260)

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/11/10 - 05:10 am

MY pick for the BEST Twin

MY pick for the BEST Twin Towers 9/11 Video ever. The Clydesdales honor the victims

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/11/10 - 05:23 am

Provide transportation, huh?

Provide transportation, huh?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/11/10 - 06:48 am

That was a great video

That was a great video maggiemae....I honor all lost on that day...Peace.

Zoe
Zoe 09/11/10 - 07:27 am

Just wow. This is what the r

Just wow. This is what the r and r has come to??

Where is everyone? Where is Doc? Where is Jay?

Hi guys if you're reading this. Miss ya'll...

Cobalt and RK, I know YOU are still out there.........

Zoe
Zoe 09/11/10 - 07:32 am
RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/11/10 - 07:41 am

Good Morning Awguster

Good Morning Awguster

Zoe
Zoe 09/11/10 - 07:48 am

There he is! Hi RK!:)

There he is! Hi RK!:)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/11/10 - 07:54 am

Hey Zoe, how are you today?

Hey Zoe, how are you today?

Tots
Tots 09/11/10 - 08:15 am

Hello

Hello everybody.Maggiemae-good video.Rk-have a great safe day.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/11/10 - 08:18 am

Thanks Tots, you too.

Thanks Tots, you too.

Zoe
Zoe 09/11/10 - 08:23 am

doing well

doing well Rk..thanks..

fixin' to partake in my first cuppa coffee....have a grand day.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/11/10 - 08:24 am

OK, where were you 9 years

OK, where were you 9 years ago. I had a delivery to a Ford plant north of Detroit, listening to the morning news as usual. The first report I thought that is was a sight seeing plane that just got too close. How wrong I was. The thing I remember most was seeing cars and trucks parked on the Ambassador Bridge. Nothing moving. I stopped at a truck stop hoping to see a display TV tuned to a news channel. The first and last time I ever saw the TV in the TV room tuned to news was that day. The one day in recent history that we forgot about races and were just Americans. Too bad it can't be that way everyday.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/11/10 - 08:26 am

I think it is time for me to

I think it is time for me to raid the free breakfast buffet at this hotel. Ya'll be good, the body count is still rising.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/11/10 - 08:28 am

Good Morning My Tear Filled

Good Morning My Tear Filled America, My Friends and Foes.

Was 9 years ago on this date -

"The End to a Beginning or the Beginning to a End of America?"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/11/10 - 08:33 am

A good day to you RK and

A good day to you RK and Zoe.

Remember, Cobalt puter is 24/7 with 27 tabs open at all times so it will appear that I'm on line all the time.

My profile picture says it all...You never know when I'm monitoring.

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 09/11/10 - 08:34 am

I had the day off work and

I had the day off work and was greedily hoarding it to myself. I had taken the children to school, returned home and put my pj's back on and was determined to just vegetate... that's how I remember the morning. The only other thing I remember about that day is sitting in the middle of the living room floor watching TV and crying, then frantically dressing and picking my children up from school. I know they were in no danger, but I needed them near me right then and couldn't wait until the end of the school day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/11/10 - 08:36 am

I'll never forget the people leaping from the building that day....sad even now I still feel the same sadness.
Have a good day...taking GOB to breakfast.

Tots
Tots 09/11/10 - 10:42 am

I remember where I was and

I remember where I was and what I did.Just going to say ,I love you all and I'm going to take this time to thank God for being alive.BBL

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 09/11/10 - 08:42 am

oh yeah... good morning y'all

oh yeah... good morning y'all

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/11/10 - 08:45 am

I was working at Anadarko

I was working at Anadarko Petroleum in Houston, TX...one of the workers had tuned into CNN and we watched in horror as the world seemingly came to an end...the bulk of the employees went to our TV room and gathered around CBS to hear Rather report as the events unfolded....within an hour we were headed to homes and schools to get our children for fear of their safety...I-45 was packed w people heading to the safety of their homes...almost everyone took the next day off while we all figured out what happened and why. That's what I recall. Now off to work. Ya'll have a good day. Be glad and rejoice, becuz God made each day for all of us to live abundantly. Be blessed my friends.

sliique
sliique 09/11/10 - 09:28 am

After wading thru all the OT

After wading thru all the OT posts, Rant # 5: You're absolutely right! NO zoning here, at all. I've never seen any other place where, when the fridge quits, it's put on the front porch for eons, or, when the vehicle quits, it's put in the FRONT yard, next to the porch (if there is one) and left to rust away, for years. NO zoning ordinances here at all!

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/11/10 - 09:30 am

I was 3 blocks from the

I was 3 blocks from the towers. After about 7 hrs, I made it to Jefferson City. Got in line to take the ferry from JC to Bridgeport. I have no idea how long I was in that line. Hours. Crossing the Hudson you could see the inferno down river. Surreal is the best description. Three hour drive from Bridgeport to home. Walked in the house at 4 AM.

omnomnom
omnomnom 09/11/10 - 09:32 am

RE: 9/11 I was at ASU about

RE: 9/11 I was at ASU about to walk into a political science class when a highschool bud walked up and told me he heard it on the radio. I thought he was joking. We all ditched class (which was cancelled anyway) to watch both towers fall on the tvs in Washington Hall. It was so surreal.

cristinadh
cristinadh 09/11/10 - 10:00 am

I remember 9-11 like it was

I remember 9-11 like it was yesterday.. I remember everything that I was doing...I also remember a lot of my clients calling days after to tell bad news on how they lost their sons and daughters to the towers.. that was the worst!!

happychimer
happychimer 09/11/10 - 10:08 am

That day I turned on the

That day I turned on the radio as I was driving out of the yard, on the way to work. I wanted to go back home and sit in front of the tv, but my job needed me. A co-worker was waiting for news about his son and daughter.One worked at the towers, and the other at the pentagon. Much later he learned they both were ok. His son had a sick child and took it to the dr, so he was not at work when the attacks happened. His daughter was ok too.We had very few customers that day. The ones we did have hurried with their shopping in order to get back home to the tv.The store manager had a radio on in the office, and we were updated every few minutes. It was a sad day.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/11/10 - 11:26 am

pommom38
pommom38 09/11/10 - 11:26 am

Call the law or animal

Call the law or animal control, only thing that will deter the unleashed dogs/owners.
Yet another teacher rant, (yawn) g mornin to ya'll, what a gloomy day it is out there. Guess it fits being the 11th and all.
I was asleep when my husband called to tell me turn on the tv. I was mortified at what was unfolding. When the towers fell, I just dropped the phone and cried.
No one will ever forget that day!! God be with all those having to constantly relive this day.

30cal
30cal 09/11/10 - 11:29 am

I was in bass pro shops in

I was in bass pro shops in Davie FLA. picking up a gun I had ordered and a box of shells for it,when the salesman (WHO was from N.Y.) got a call from his wife about it . like many suspected a small plane got in trouble . was watching it in store as I checked out and the second plane started its approach.KNEW this was planned . went back and got several more boxes of shells. by time I checked out people were buying ammo like they quit making it.
I was 2yrs to old to Reup.Applied for waiver but HEART attack stopped that.
I can still remember the exact spot i was standing and the clerk who was a friend is still there .

30cal
30cal 09/11/10 - 11:35 am

#5 A water pistol filled

#5 A water pistol filled w/house hold ammonia will stop your problem.
IT'S safe legal and VERY effective on man and beast.

30cal
30cal 09/11/10 - 11:39 am

I'am sure CG has a cure but

I'am sure CG has a cure but his will involve lots of flash and B A N G .
MY method and no one knows what happened.