Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

RAVES TO THE RANTER who wrote a rant to all ASU students who do not wash their hands. Here's a rant to all ASU faculty and admin who refuse to wash their hearts.

"GA politicians can now transfer as much money as they want to other candidates." When you donate to a politician, do you want your donation going to somebody you may know is a crook, or who certainly disagrees with you? There's a good solution to this problem. Never give a nickel to ANY politician! Not a nickel!

A RANT OR QUESTION ... does open container law apply to limousines or are they exempt from the law?

CAN ANYTHING BE DONE to smooth out the turn off Washington Road onto Berckmans Road? It's bad enough on the driver's side, but the passenger side almost needs a neck brace after the event!

SAD, OF COURSE, about any prison riot such as the one at Folsom in California. Also sad that it took the warden 30 minutes to tell his guards to open fire and stop the trouble in its tracks. Surely, that 30 minutes allowed many prisoners to get hurt by other prisoners.

CONTINUING TO HOLD hands is a sweet way to show affection. One day your spouse won't be there, and all you will have is the memories and a feeling of trying to find a part of you to make you whole again.

RANT TO SECURITY Federal Bank: I went into this bank with $10 in hand and asked for a roll of quarters. "Do you have an account?" I replied I did not. "Sorry, we can't exchange money with no account." I was not asking to cash a payroll check, a two-party check or a loan. I was asking for a simple roll of quarters to wash my clothes.

WHY I LIKE OBAMA: He has exposed the deceit and duplicity of the Democratic Party; he has revealed the liberal bias of the main-line media; and he has revived the conservative movement in America. Maybe he is not as bad a president as I thought.

INSTEAD OF BEING TIRED of hearing Katrina stories, one should be more incensed about the fact that the Katrina situation is still not fully resolved. HUMAN BEINGS died waiting for basic first aid and water. To prevent anything remotely resembling this American tragedy from occurring again, this story should remain in the headlines for years to come. Thank you very much.

Tell us what you think
Double Trouble
Double Trouble 09/01/10 - 01:49 am
Goooood Mawnin' Awguster !!!!

Goooood Mawnin' Awguster !!!!

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/01/10 - 03:57 am
The Katrina "story" should

The Katrina "story" should have ended months ago. Some people just refuse to help themselves.

Roeschen
Roeschen 09/01/10 - 05:16 am
The people of NOLA had plenty

The people of NOLA had plenty of time to evacuate the city and surrounding area. There was no excuse for any lives to be lost. Tell me, why do you hear so much about New Orleans and nothing about the areas to the east that were hit just as hard? Could it be that the mayors of those cities ordered the evacuation early and lives were saved? Also, the governors of those states asked for federal assistance long before the governor of LA. So whose fault is it that it is still not resolved? And why on earth would anyone rebuild the 9th ward anyway? It will be destroyed when the next hurricane hits New Orleans.

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 09/01/10 - 06:30 am
In honor of the remembrances

In honor of the remembrances of Katrina, I think I'll make my monitor background the photo of the hundreds of buses sitting half-submerged in neat rows in the parking lot.....

Trouble
Trouble 09/01/10 - 06:42 am
to the 4th rant, try slowing

to the 4th rant, try slowing down.....if you are confused as to how to accomplish this, try applying pressure to the pedal on the left as opposed to the right........

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 09/01/10 - 06:48 am
Somebody robbed the Krispy

Somebody robbed the Krispy Kreme in the 2800 block of Washington Rd about 4am. I'd have thought doughnut shops would be well patrolled, especially during night shift.

smalltowngal
smalltowngal 09/01/10 - 06:48 am
Why no hoopla for the flood

Why no hoopla for the flood victims in Tenn. and Iowa???? Are they not chocolate enough?Perhaps they had insurance as most home owners do. And after 5 years, think i could have built me a home or rented one elsewhere. Why stay in a flood zone. Makes no sense to me cept the fact if it happens again, we'll be there to bail them out again. Never ending cycle.

smalltowngal
smalltowngal 09/01/10 - 06:52 am
Jay, just look for the crooks

Jay, just look for the crooks with sticky fingers.

Trouble
Trouble 09/01/10 - 07:00 am
jay, im betting that krispy

jay, im betting that krispy kreme didnt have the "hot now" sign on when they were robbed

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 09/01/10 - 07:08 am
LOL! Good points, ladies.

LOL! Good points, ladies.

corgimom
corgimom 09/01/10 - 07:40 am
Passengers in a limousine may

Passengers in a limousine may drink alcoholic beverages, that is an exemption to the open container law. Private charter buses are the same way.

Ladybug
Ladybug 09/01/10 - 07:43 am
smalltowngal, so that's the

smalltowngal, so that's the problem ,of course, the reason everyone was so upset because, we still think about Katrina was because of their color, shame on you ...Katrina was a major disaster, and like racism doesn't go away until the problem is solved, meaning...never....
Oh and for the guy who told me * cry me a river* I love that song thank you...

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/01/10 - 07:53 am
ladybug.... I agree with

ladybug.... I agree with smalltowngal.....many are tired of the "why me" rants for 5 long years.....just to catch you up to speed, others suffered during Katrina too, you don't hear MUCH about them though do you?
The situation in NOrleans kinda reminds me of Haiti...same problem year after year.....kids you can't afford...education goes bye-bye...leaders are lacking skills to really change the problems & on & on ....well anyway let's just turn the page as someone said last night..HA
Good am Augusta

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/01/10 - 08:46 am
NOLA.....well, let's see. A

NOLA.....well, let's see. A bunch of people who were too stupid to evacuate when told. People who re-elected Ray Nagin, who failed his job miserably, so he could rebuild his "chocolate city" (his words). And who want to use taxpayer dollars to rebuild part of a city that is below sea level and which will flood again because it is impossible to prevent. Meanwhile, not 30 seconds of coverage about the status of the flood victims in the midwest and TN. What happened in NOLA was a terrible natural disaster, compounded by a concentration of really stupid people and incompetent local leadership. The survivors have been evacuated and relocated and they are better off for it. If the 9th ward is rebuilt and repopulated all of this will happen again sometime in the future. Anyone who moves back there should do it on their dime and at their own risk. Pumps fail and levees break so don't live below sea level.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 09/01/10 - 09:01 am
Anyone got info on a plane

Anyone got info on a plane crash at Ft. Gordon in the past few days? 11 killed?

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 09/01/10 - 09:03 am
PWRSPD - That's a new one on

PWRSPD - That's a new one on me.....

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 09/01/10 - 09:08 am
Morning All! Oh my, the

Morning All! Oh my, the pretty pony herd is Awesome today! Well, the puppies are playing, the sun is shining, and we do indeed have a new GOP candidate for the senate from Alaska! Woot!
Hope everyone has a great day!

Last Ranter...... Please, give me a break! You have 3 days of officials telling you to leave or take your chances. Dire warnings of possible death if you choose to stay. Emergency vehicles with loudspeakers riding through the streets broadcasting the danger, and warning you to leave. 5 days of TV broadcasts telling you to LEAVE NOW! Still.....they decided to roll the dice and lost.

Nope.... After 5 long years of trolling for pity, I am totally sick and tired of hearing about it... Oh, btw, I wonder how they spent the $2,000 of my tax money? Plastic surgery? Plasma TV's? pathetic....

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/01/10 - 09:06 am
Greece attacks smoking

Greece attacks smoking habit.....Starting today, the socialist government will outlaw lighting up in enclosed public places & prohibit tobacco advertising. Offenders will be fined up to $12,750. In Greece, 42% of people over 15 smoke, the European average is 29%.. Now I don't smioke BUT this seems a little controlling to me....what's next....2 martinis will be too many.....now that will step on my shoes.. You see where this could go, even in this country.

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 09/01/10 - 09:10 am
I was tired of the Katrina

I was tired of the Katrina stories back in '05

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 09/01/10 - 09:20 am
It's 4:20 PM in Athens -

It's 4:20 PM in Athens - w00t!

usafvet
usafvet 09/01/10 - 09:32 am
It is certain that at some

It is certain that at some earlier date we had competent people making decisions and rules in the Augusta area. (unlike those running the city today) Augusta is 140 feet plus above sea level, yet there are restrictions for developing within the flood plain. As with most projects the government gets involved with, Katrina recovery is screwed up. And no, it is not the fault of the Honorable G.W.Bush. It is the fault of the residents, Mayor, and governor of NOLA.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 09/01/10 - 09:44 am
I heard a plane had crashed

I heard a plane had crashed and then i heard a plane had not crashed, they were mistaken, then i heard about forestry putting out the fire from the crash. Maybe it's a secret.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 09/01/10 - 09:42 am
I like NOLA but it needed a

I like NOLA but it needed a bath.Shoulda scrubbed better though.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/01/10 - 09:45 am
38 end-stage renal patients ,

38 end-stage renal patients , most of them illegal immigrants will receive the dialysis they need to stay alive per deal reached with Atlanta's safety-net hospital , Grady Memorial....tax payers will pay for this.
MOST ARE ILLEGAL.....now how many places would do the same for Americans??
When I see protests in the streets against the USA & the way they (sic) treat illegals , I think of this.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 09/01/10 - 09:46 am
PWRSPD, We just called Ft.

PWRSPD, We just called Ft. Gordon. They said there was no plane crash.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 09/01/10 - 09:58 am
Just more crazy wrong

Just more crazy wrong rumors.... like the one about the Democrats retaining both houses of congress in November. LoL

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/01/10 - 10:02 am
But our man Sean is on the

But our man Sean is on the ball this morning...way to go SM.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/01/10 - 10:06 am
Donations to restore Gone

Donations to restore Gone With the Wind Gowns have reached $30,000..including Scarlett's green curtain dress....thank goodness, I thought I would have to loan some of my dresses I wore during that time........whew....:)

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 09/01/10 - 10:08 am
Thanks Sean

Thanks Sean

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 09/01/10 - 10:09 am
....and then they found $5

....and then they found $5

Vogtle workforce hits 4,200

About 4,200 workers are employed at the Plant Vogtle expansion project where the first two reactors built in the U.S. in more than three decades are rising from the red clay.