Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

BP ADS CLAIM they are working hard on the oil spill using "task forces" and "strike teams." Since a "task force" is essentially a "strike team," BP has clearly learned from government how to pretend to speak clearly while saying nothing. (Definition of a "strike force" includes "the force being armed." Is BP shooting at leaking oil?)

A RAVE FOR Michael Holahan's photograph complementing Tracey McManus's upbeat Paddlefest article (Chronicle , August 22, page 1B). That picture is a geometric work of art.

THIS IS A RANT to all of the Augusta State students who do not wash their hands.

IN REGARD TO the parents who had to stand out in the rain and lightning, waiting admission for parents' orientation and those "abused paraprofessionals" in Richmond County, you should visit Aiken County. Many of the elementary teachers have to do car duty, every evening, regardless of pouring rain, lightning and freezing weather, to get children into proper cars in order not to inconvenience the parents. Not only do they stand in the storms, some are in the middle of the road at times with cars passing on both sides. If they are lucky that they don't get struck by lightning, they may get run over. These same teachers and paraprofessionals, who do not happen to be driving a bus, do custodial work in the rooms and in the cafeteria every day. Before the beginning of each new year, teachers are cleaning and rearranging furniture, etc. in their rooms. Do you think they get paid overtime?

I COMMEND THE recent spate of history lessons of sorts by references to past articles and columns from previous issues of this paper. You show people there is much they can still learn from the past.

SHAME ON MR. HOWARD! He is a longtime businessman as well as longtime politician so he should know better than to owe. No matter who else is in charge of the store on the day-to-day business, while his name is on the license, HE is the one responsible for taxes and other fees. I better hear real soon that he's paid it all off!

RANT: ADVENTURE CROSSING is filled with young kids as managers who have no patience and are very rude to customers. I am not sure if it is a place I will continue to frequent with my kids. I am not used to being talked to in that manner by CHILDREN.

EXAMPLES OF EAR MARKS (all of which are unconstitutional) include money to city public transit, city sewer, local hospitals, GA Tech, MARTA, various corporations, AFLAC, Safari Club -- What?! A club?! Notice that all these things are either state, local, or private. Thus not a penny of those earmarks makes any sense other than to try to buy votes by our elected officials. We really must clean house in Congress, and November is the first step. No more incumbents!

Tell us what you think
omnomnom
omnomnom 08/26/10 - 01:36 am
3rd ranter, I'm SORRY, I was

3rd ranter, I'm SORRY, I was running late to class! And I CAN'T promise it won't happen again!

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/26/10 - 01:35 am
PLEASE FORGIVE ME

PLEASE FORGIVE ME :((((((((((((((((((

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 08/26/10 - 01:58 am
Ranter #1 - I suggest you

Ranter #1 - I suggest you find a new hobby.

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 08/26/10 - 04:00 am
Rant #3 ... You must be one

Rant #3 ... You must be one of those nice/nasty people ... I bet you won't turn down a $20 bill just cause somebody did'nt wash their hands ... I heard it said that paper money has very many germs from being passed around hand to hand ...

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 08/26/10 - 04:20 am
A thought for the day: Alan

A thought for the day: Alan Patrick Herbert wrote, "The critical period in matrimony is breakfast-time."

w00t!

Be safe, RK!

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 08/26/10 - 05:54 am
Next to last rant - I wasn't

Next to last rant - I wasn't even aware that Robert D. Raiford frequented the children's attractions of Augusta.

Trouble
Trouble 08/26/10 - 05:57 am
im betting ranter number 3 is

im betting ranter number 3 is one of those who will hover over the toilet seat instead of setting, then make a mess all over the place and refuse to clean up after themselves. but on the bright side, even though no one would go anywhere near that bathroom stall unless paid (those that are forced to clean up behind the nasty) at least their hands are clean.......

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 08/26/10 - 06:05 am
LOL, Trouble I think you may

LOL, Trouble I think you may be on to something here. I'll bet he/she doesn't chew gum either.....

Trouble
Trouble 08/26/10 - 06:01 am
ranter number 4, it has been

ranter number 4, it has been my experience that teachers always make sure that the kids get in the proper cars after school, if you hate this part of your job so much, can i suggest you quit teaching at an elementary school and try instead to babysit those that are considered old enough to get themselves in the right car after school (high schoolers)?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/26/10 - 06:22 am

Thank God my ears don't have marks on them!!

Trouble
Trouble 08/26/10 - 06:24 am
cbbp, i have seen your ears,

cbbp, i have seen your ears, so are you saying that those things are some sort of earring, not marks?

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 08/26/10 - 06:25 am
G'mornin CBBP. I think some

G'mornin CBBP. I think some of the posters on here probably have "skid marks" on their ears.....

smalltowngal
smalltowngal 08/26/10 - 06:33 am
Love the pun, CBBP. Mark my

Love the pun, CBBP. Mark my ears and I'll modify and accomendate the environment with an umbrella or rain poncho. Thats what teachers do to meet the needs of their cherished students.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/26/10 - 06:42 am
Trouble, don't tell everyone,

Trouble, don't tell everyone, that's where the reins attach. Jay, from the amount of optical rectitus I observe from some of them I have to completely agree with you. Smalltowngal, what can I say? You've given me too many open doors!!

Trouble
Trouble 08/26/10 - 06:55 am
reins???? man we have GOT to

reins???? man we have GOT to go to breakfast......

smalltowngal
smalltowngal 08/26/10 - 06:56 am
Cant believe David Letterman

Cant believe David Letterman said this, "Pres will have plenty of time for vacations after his one term is up." Think, he too, now hates it when he wakes up in morning and odumbo is still pres? Wow, whats the world coming to? Yall have a great day. Its off to the cherished students I go.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/26/10 - 06:57 am
Good Morning America, My

Good Morning America, My Friends and Foes.

Ah, to wake up in the morning, listen to the news, read the newspaper and see how perfect and peaceful things are here in America, "Makes My Day."

Lets see, an illegal Immigrant in AZ is caught breaking the law but has no felony charges will not be charged in court or will be deported. (Broke the US law twice and is free to stay)

I, a born American citizen with no record of any type, gets a DUI and goes to jail. I LOVE AMERICA.

DEP928
DEP928 08/26/10 - 07:01 am
No good pickins this morning.

No good pickins this morning. Everyone must be happy!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/26/10 - 07:04 am
My information and advice for

My information and advice for the day:

Stimulus Check:

Sometime this year, we taxpayers will again receive another 'Economic Stimulus' payment.
This is indeed a very exciting program, and I'll explain it by using a Q & A format:

Q. What is an 'Economic Stimulus' payment ?
A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q. Where will the government get this money ?
A. From taxpayers.

Q. So the government is giving me back my own money ?
A. Only a smidgen of it.

Q. What is the purpose of this payment ?
A. The plan is for you to use the money to purchase a high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

Q. But isn't that stimulating the economy of China ?
A. Shut up.

Below is some helpful advice on how to best help the U.S. Economy by spending your stimulus check wisely:

* If you spend the stimulus money at Wal-Mart, the money will go to China or Sri Lanka .
* If you spend it on gasoline, your money will go to the Arabs.
* If you purchase a computer, it will go to India , Taiwan or China .
* If you purchase fruit and vegetables, it will go to Mexico , Honduras and Guatemala ..
* If you buy an efficient car, it will go to Japan or Korea .
* If you purchase useless stuff, it will go to Taiwan .
* If you pay your credit cards off, or buy stock, it will go to management bonuses and they will hide it offshore.

Instead, keep the money in America by:

1) Spending it at yard sales, or
2) Going to ball games, or
3) Spending it on prostitutes, or
4) Beer or
5) Tattoos.

(These are the only American businesses still operating in the U.S. . )

Conclusion:
Go to a ball game with a tattooed prostitute that you met at a yard sale and drink beer all day ! No need to thank me, I'm just glad I could be of help.

Trouble
Trouble 08/26/10 - 07:05 am
cg, i understand your point,

cg, i understand your point, and that sucks, but you drink and drive, you pay the price......

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/26/10 - 07:21 am
By the way T, in 70 years I

By the way T, in 70 years I have not even received a parking ticket.

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 08/26/10 - 07:26 am
That sounds rather boring to

That sounds rather boring to me.....

IT D0C
IT D0C 08/26/10 - 07:35 am
Good morning and Happy

Good morning and Happy Thursday.
I am not an ASU student, so I wash my hands.
Have a germ free day, y'all.
Doc

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 08/26/10 - 07:38 am
Morning all! The puppies are

Morning all! The puppies are playing, the wife is getting ready for work, hoping for rain today, and so far at least, Rick Scott is still leading Murkowski in AK! All is right in my world! Hope the same for you good folks. Btw...Lots of butterflies this am. Nice work all!

billoftt
billoftt 08/26/10 - 07:39 am
George, that was perhaps one

George, that was perhaps one of the greatest things about stimulating the economy that I have ever read.

billoftt
billoftt 08/26/10 - 07:41 am
My coworkers and family tell

My coworkers and family tell me that I wash my hands too much. I use more hand sanitizer than I do water. I am still trying to find individually wrapped M&Ms.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 08/26/10 - 07:45 am
Btw, is anyone as sick as I

Btw, is anyone as sick as I am of these constant BP ads? OMG! If they had taken that incredible amount of money for these ads, and instead given it to the victims, every shrimp boat captain would be able to buy a new boat, for crying out loud! A pox on the BP house for making us all suffer through these insufferable darn ads!

Jay Voorhees
Jay Voorhees 08/26/10 - 07:49 am
I don't believe I've ever

I don't believe I've ever seen a BP ad (seriously).

I'm not crying for the Lousyanna watermen either after talking to somebody who actually lives there and stopped by da porch one day. They are very sorry the leak stopped....

IT D0C
IT D0C 08/26/10 - 07:49 am
Aye likes the BP ads and it's

Aye likes the BP ads and it's their money, they're free to spend it as they wish.
Especially since they'll get a nice refund of the unused part of the $20B extortion fund King Barely Ocompetent screwed them out of.

IT D0C
IT D0C 08/26/10 - 07:50 am
BP was cast as villian,

BP was cast as villian, incorrectly. The spill is over. The Earth once again proves mankind can do little more than leave a spot on it.