Authorities identify woman found in pool

Authorities have identified an Augusta woman found unconscious Sunday in a Hephzibah swimming pool.

Sheena Janine Gantt, 24, later pronounced dead at a hospital, might have been drinking with a friend by the pool, according to Sheriff's Investigator Ben Harman.

A toxicology screen performed at Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center found she had a blood alcohol level of 0.2 and the prescription drug Xanax in her system, Harman said.

flipa
flipa 08/09/10 - 02:56 pm
Mixing even a SMALL amount of

Mixing even a SMALL amount of prescription drugs & alcohol usually results in seizures which in a pool can be fatal. My Brothers girlfriend dropped dead by mixing just a little alcohol and 2 different medications that she had prescriptions for. It's a called a Grim Reaper Cocktail for a reason. But let U.S. not dare regulate weed by putting it behind the prescription counter. Let’s allow our worst enemies to grow filthy rich and powerful by keeping it on the street & letting the worst sorts sell it to 10 yr olds so they can sell them some crack too. EVERY time I hear anyone say we need to keep it Illegal there is a MONITARY Reason why they are saying that. They are getting RICH or PAID to keep weed in the hands of criminals hence 10 yr olds buy it easier than anything else. I don’t smoke anything, and I hope all the pot smokers QUIT. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over yet expecting a different outcome. Let’s free up our law enforcement to go after home invaders, robbers, hijackers, rapist, ID thieves, burglars, blackmailers, cop killers, ect. ECT. instead of wasting our time and resources in this never ending wild goose chase that is KILLING FOLKS by feeding them these EXTREMELY dangerous drugs which combine to form Grim Reaper Cocktails.

bigbluefanV
bigbluefanV 08/09/10 - 03:03 pm
flipa, I agree with you.

flipa, I agree with you. It's probably the first time I ever agreed with anybody on this darn paper.

dougk
dougk 08/09/10 - 04:49 pm
Very well said, Flipa.

Very well said, Flipa.

freespeach
freespeach 08/09/10 - 05:56 pm
A woman has died from abusing

A woman has died from abusing alcohol and other drugs. So, you take this opportunity to lobby for the legalization of marijuana. Make it legal and readily available? That's your answer? You're headed in the wrong direction. Why don't you take this opportunity to advocate for sobriety instead of using this woman's death to promote your legalization of marijuana agenda?

dougk
dougk 08/09/10 - 06:25 pm
freespeech... you missed the

freespeech... you missed the point. Flipa's point was that mixing prescription drugs and alcohol can be dangerous....more dangerous than anything marijuana can do to a person. Plus the article did not say that she was "abusing" alcohol and other drugs. And, marijuana is already readily available. But we probably should not be arguing these points in the comments attached the news release of this poor woman's death.

beth.folland
beth.folland 08/09/10 - 06:17 pm
Yeah and besides that I

Yeah and besides that I seriously doubt if you knew Sheena or you would not have done that! As far as you know she could have been on the Xantax by Doctors orders! Some people really do not believe that mixing prescription drugs with alcohol can do that kind of damage. It is very sad that this happened. My daughter was a friend of Sheena's. She was going through a lot in her life but I would like to think she did not take her own life and that my daughter will get to see her again someday. I hope that Sheena's friends & family make it through this time with God's help. R.I.P. Sheena. PEACE & BLESSINGS to her friends & family.

backagain
backagain 08/09/10 - 06:17 pm
I completely agree with

I completely agree with flipa,most definitely.Every now and then someone knocks the ball out of the park,and Flipa did exactly that.GRANDSLAM!!!! Most commenter's are very confused,or come across that way anyway,and i'm sure someone is stating that about me to.However,how can you call yourself freespeach,obviously you are an advocate,but then condemn someone else's.Just putting that out there,that's all.

JusticeForEva
JusticeForEva 08/09/10 - 08:46 pm
If someone is knowingly

If someone is knowingly drinking and mixing something like Xanax and alcohol then more then likely they aren't prescribed or if they are they're abusing it. Not knocking this woman it's a shame she's gone. It's just an observation I've made over the last few years. I've had a few family member and friends go through Xanax abuse. I could be wrong and I'm not claiming to be right but most people know better then to do that.

MissC
MissC 08/09/10 - 09:15 pm
Sheena was beautiful and

Sheena was beautiful and smart and a delight to be with. Unfortunately, her demons got the best of her, although she tried so hard to fight them. She died of a disease.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 08/09/10 - 11:37 pm
I'm now in my 50's and have

I'm now in my 50's and have been saying for my entire adult lifetime that marijuana needs to be legalized. It has many medicinal uses that are well know.....It's just that big pharma can't get rich by its use. Do I use marijuana now? No. Would I if it were legal? Probably not, but that's not my point. It's great for people who suffer from cataracts and glaucoma as well as many types of cancer and AIDS. Women who suffer from menstrual cramping can get immediate relief from one joint. Far more people die every year from tobacco use that most other "legal" products sold in America. It's time for big pharma to lose it's grip on a valuable remedy for many health issues facing Americans.

flipa
flipa 08/10/10 - 09:42 am
Dear beth.folland; My heart

Dear beth.folland; My heart goes out to your daughter and all of Sheena’s friends. I have had to try to revive a young women from a Grim Reaper Cocktail. She was prescribed her meds, was from N. Aug, where I had rented an apartment to her the off the river, then she came back & rented another apartment from me in Augusta. She was bubbly and wonderful, but now she is dead. Her girl friend came flying into my office knowing I had just revived my dad from a heart attack a few days ago. How many other wonderful people will we lose because we choose FAR more dangerous prescriptions ONLY because crooks of ALL stripes want more filthy lucre, or power or accolades for jumping onto the ban M.J. bandwagon??? Isn’t a wonderful person’s death like this enough of a wake up to call to try something different? This is NOT WORKING.

If the doctor had the leeway to prescribe an h-e-r-b, and Sheena chose that instead of the EXTREMELY dangerous D-R-U-G she would STILL BE ALIVE! Should we continue turning a blind eye and pumping DEADLY POISONS into our society while the herbal remedy that has NO DEADLY SIDE effects is used to empower our worst enemies? I can almost see Sheena looking down from heaven wanting everyone to just think about it.

beth.folland
beth.folland 08/23/10 - 01:47 pm
Sorry I just do not think

Sorry I just do not think this is needed here where her family can see it. Write letters to the editor or something...do it elsewhere....not right on a story that her friends & family will read. No need for it.