Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

This is a rant for Augusta State University for wanting to kick Jennifer Keeton out of school because she stands up for what she believes in. If anybody should be kicked out, it's the people who put this on her.

I am so proud of Jennifer Keeton. Brave young lady. In this culture of Christian bashing and immorality she gives me hope.

Hurrah and raves for Jennifer Keeton for standing up for her religious rights and beliefs.

Would someone please explain to me how we could have won World War II in only four to five years but can't beat the Taliban and al - Qaida in nine years? It's time for us to give up and bring our people home. Enough lives have already been lost on two pieces of nothing.

I'm an employee at SRS. We do not need people building the Savannah River Site's new addition or Plant Vogtle if they cannot read English. You should not be allowed to work at these two nuclear sites if you cannot read or speak English.

Who is responsible for maintaining the median along the Bobby Jones Expressway? As many times as we have driven to and from Atlanta, I have never, never seen trash in the median like what we have along Bobby Jones. Tires, parts of cars, cardboard boxes, all kinds of things thrown out of a car.

Eugene Robinson sees no problem with the New Black Panther Party members standing in front of polling places with batons because they're a fringe group. So is the KKK. What would his reaction be if the folks standing in front of a polling place wore white sheets?

A rant to the MCG employees turning left onto San Sebastian from Telfair Street during rush hour. You are required by law to yield to oncoming vehicles. And yes, a bicycle is a vehicle, according to Georgia law. How will you feel when you run over a cyclist while breaking the law and chatting on your cell phone at the same time?

I was contacted by a telemarketer who identified himself as a representative of a pro-life campaign wanting money to oppose partial birth abortions. I asked what portion of the money went to operating expenses and how much went to the campaign? He said he did not have that information but referred me to a Web site and said I could give online. When I tried to go to the Web site this is what came up: POSSIBLE FRAUD ALERT "Deceptive" groups raise $3,000,000. It mentioned" Elect Life" and " Prolife Campaign"and said no leading pro-life organizations in Washington have heard of them or seen evidence of their work.

Tell us what you think

Submit a rant or rave.

Tots
Tots 07/27/10 - 07:59 pm
You were charming RK.

You were charming RK.

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 08:00 pm
It has been suggested that

It has been suggested that more courses be offered for those not on the college tract. I would agree with that. However, what do you do about those who are on the drug dealer tract?

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 08:01 pm
Tots, it was great meeting

Tots, it was great meeting you. RK is always charming, as is T.

momster59
momster59 07/27/10 - 08:02 pm
Roadkill that's how it works

Roadkill that's how it works with most teachers. Just because the teacher doesn't pass the student, doesn't mean they won't be progressed along to prevent things like 17 and 18 year old middle schoolers. I fail students who do not meet the criteria. Some never make it (hence, the lacking of a 100% grad. rate), some make it up in summer school or online courses, and then again there's many who take the class again.

30cal
30cal 07/27/10 - 08:02 pm
SARGEbaby I agree somewhat.

SARGEbaby I agree somewhat. WE cannot deny that P.C. and lack of parenting are two big problems both for the educators and the system.
we as parents and Grandparents must be held responsible for the wild unruly heathens we send to them each day.Their job IS to teach, not rear.
IF parents are not taking an interest in the kids education the kids (all in that room)suffer

Tots
Tots 07/27/10 - 08:03 pm
KSL@8:00pm-maybe economics.

KSL@8:00pm-maybe economics.

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 08:03 pm
dstewartsr, I want to sit

dstewartsr, I want to sit next to you at the round table.

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 08:04 pm
LOL, Tots. Target practice?

LOL, Tots. Target practice?

corgimom
corgimom 07/27/10 - 08:04 pm
KSL, I went to ASU (it was

KSL, I went to ASU (it was Augusta College then.) My high school courses were far more challenging than AC's lower-level college courses, and the California colleges were far more challenging, too.

What really happened was desegregation. It was done so poorly and education has never recovered from it. Richmond County is a perfect example of how poorly it was done. No effort was made to remediate kids from under-performing schools with substandard education, and graduation standards were lowered in order to get students graduated, and you see the effects of it today.

corgimom
corgimom 07/27/10 - 08:07 pm
KSL, the drug dealers drop

KSL, the drug dealers drop out at 16. Who needs a high school diploma when they can sell drugs?

The very worst is middle school- they are overplaced and still belong, academically, in elementary school. They are overwhelmed and can't do the work, so they misbehave all day long.

Middle school teachers should be paid combat pay. They deserve it.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 08:09 pm
I posted one little link on

I posted one little link on the sex ed thing and the supporters disappeared. Can't handle the facts??? So sorry.

Tots
Tots 07/27/10 - 08:09 pm
I agree with you on that

I agree with you on that Corgi@8:07pm.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 08:09 pm
Highlight of my day. I got

Highlight of my day. I got hugs from my girlfriends!!!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 08:10 pm
You guys were OK too.

You guys were OK too.

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 08:10 pm
I would agree with that

I would agree with that corgi. I graduated before desegregation was enforced in Georgia.

The southern states stupidly fought it, even though they knew it was coming. I remember hearing that instead of starting in one year, they should have begun it early and started with the first grade.

That said, the same year I went off to New England, the black high school in my West Georgia county sent a kid off to MIT.

Tots
Tots 07/27/10 - 08:11 pm
Sending a big shout out too

Sending a big shout out too Trouble.

Trouble
Trouble 07/27/10 - 08:11 pm
i enjoyed the gathering also,

i enjoyed the gathering also, i would be posting more, but rk is a computer junkie.........he dont share....lol

Trouble
Trouble 07/27/10 - 08:13 pm
turn the page....wOOt....hey

turn the page....wOOt....hey tots

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 08:12 pm
RK, I'm disappointed I only

RK, I'm disappointed I only got to hug you once.

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 08:13 pm
By the way, Eyes wanted to be

By the way, Eyes wanted to be there, but is out of town.

momster59
momster59 07/27/10 - 08:13 pm
corgimom "What really

corgimom "What really happened was desegregation. It was done so poorly and education has never recovered from it."
I disappointed in you. How does desegregation affect an incoming kindergartener? The highest achieving schools are the magnet schools which are desegregated. My black students are just as capable and achieve in the same proportions as my white kids. The biggest barrier I see for lack of achievement is income, support of family, and the student's own desire. I have the same % of my white kids fail to achieve as the % of my black kids.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 08:20 pm
momster, I think you answered

momster, I think you answered your own question with "magnet schools".

Many Magnet schools still help increase diversity within the public school system and help families volunteer for desegregation. But over the last 20 years or so, some Magnet schools have taken on an a more competitive aspect in that they can only fill 10-20% of the students that apply to attend school on their campuses. The current role of Magnet schools, therefore, can often promote academic opportunity and excellence over their regular counterparts. Magnet schools often attract “gifted” students who score well in tests and receive good grades (about 1/3 of all Magnet schools use selection criteria to decide who they’ll invite to enroll for that year).

Source http://www.publicschoolreview.com/articles/2

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 08:26 pm
momster, I know what you are

momster, I know what you are saying. And you are also right. But corgi is right, the whole deseg thing was done wrong for the most part.

Back in my day of attending public schools, very few white kids failed. Back then they generally came from two parent families also.

I'm betting that most of the black kids came from two parent families, as well.

Then we got the Great Society and everything went to h in an h basket.

What people really need to realize is that the more the libs hand out, the more they are going to need to hand out. I'm old enough to have seen the progression. Somehow or another, before the ability to buy birth control over the counter, there were fewer illegitimate babies born. Families took care of their own. People didn't starve. Then the government stepped in and said we need to take care of these few cases that slip through the cracks. Can't punish the child. Now check out the number of births to mothers both black, white, and grey who are not married.

You get what you are willing to pay for.

usafvet
usafvet 07/27/10 - 08:20 pm
Momster59, "I disappointed in

Momster59, "I disappointed in you." Please tell me that you are not teaching english.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/27/10 - 08:21 pm
KSL brought up an undiscussed

KSL brought up an undiscussed point; Why does Georgia have "college track" kids to begin with? Why can't parents and kids make up their minds and let the kid do the achieving, like it used to be, not that long ago! Now days, at the beginning of Junior High, immature kids have to make up their minds if they want to go to college or not. I didn't make my mind up until I spent a hitch in the Navy! I don't see making an immature kid make a decision that will affect him/her for the rest of their lives. This is supposed to be the land of opportunity. If a kid makes an immature choice, what will they do if they decide they want to go to college at a later date?

Tots
Tots 07/28/10 - 07:38 am
mom-I think you are on to

mom-I think you are on to something ,with that post.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 08:23 pm
At least we can all agree on

At least we can all agree on one thing..................IT'S BUSH'S FAULT!!! :-)

corgimom
corgimom 07/27/10 - 08:23 pm
"The highest achieving

"The highest achieving schools are the magnet schools which are desegregated."

The magnet schools in RC are racist to the core. They are racially unbalanced. Look at the RCBOE stats and look at the stats of the magnets.

And why black parents aren't suing RCBOE about it is beyond me. But I think that's coming, too.

The magnet schools do not fairly represent RCBOE. It's despicable.

Tots
Tots 07/27/10 - 08:26 pm
Corgimom@8:23-State your

Corgimom@8:23-State your facts on that one.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 08:26 pm
corgi, could it be because

corgi, could it be because "they" can't score well enough on the entrance exam??? Or is it because the entrance exam is racially biased???

Mother of newborn left in car to face possible indictment

Richmond County Civil and Magistrate Court Presiding Judge H. Scott Allen ruled at the conclusion of a preliminary hearing for 20-year-old Alicia Manigault that her case would be bound over to a ...