Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

This is a rant for Augusta State University for wanting to kick Jennifer Keeton out of school because she stands up for what she believes in. If anybody should be kicked out, it's the people who put this on her.

I am so proud of Jennifer Keeton. Brave young lady. In this culture of Christian bashing and immorality she gives me hope.

Hurrah and raves for Jennifer Keeton for standing up for her religious rights and beliefs.

Would someone please explain to me how we could have won World War II in only four to five years but can't beat the Taliban and al - Qaida in nine years? It's time for us to give up and bring our people home. Enough lives have already been lost on two pieces of nothing.

I'm an employee at SRS. We do not need people building the Savannah River Site's new addition or Plant Vogtle if they cannot read English. You should not be allowed to work at these two nuclear sites if you cannot read or speak English.

Who is responsible for maintaining the median along the Bobby Jones Expressway? As many times as we have driven to and from Atlanta, I have never, never seen trash in the median like what we have along Bobby Jones. Tires, parts of cars, cardboard boxes, all kinds of things thrown out of a car.

Eugene Robinson sees no problem with the New Black Panther Party members standing in front of polling places with batons because they're a fringe group. So is the KKK. What would his reaction be if the folks standing in front of a polling place wore white sheets?

A rant to the MCG employees turning left onto San Sebastian from Telfair Street during rush hour. You are required by law to yield to oncoming vehicles. And yes, a bicycle is a vehicle, according to Georgia law. How will you feel when you run over a cyclist while breaking the law and chatting on your cell phone at the same time?

I was contacted by a telemarketer who identified himself as a representative of a pro-life campaign wanting money to oppose partial birth abortions. I asked what portion of the money went to operating expenses and how much went to the campaign? He said he did not have that information but referred me to a Web site and said I could give online. When I tried to go to the Web site this is what came up: POSSIBLE FRAUD ALERT "Deceptive" groups raise $3,000,000. It mentioned" Elect Life" and " Prolife Campaign"and said no leading pro-life organizations in Washington have heard of them or seen evidence of their work.

Tell us what you think

Submit a rant or rave.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/27/10 - 06:26 pm
Hello, everyone! Today, was

Hello, everyone! Today, was one of the most memorable for Precious and me, in many years. We want to offer our heartfelt thanks to everyone for your love and fellowship. I have to thank my dear Friend and Brother, Cobalt George, for arranging the meeting, for without his help, It might not have happened. To our Friends we did not get to spend much time with, the next gathering will be at a round table, so we can really stir the airwaves. The only problem with a gathering like today, is that we hated to leave.

Sean's presence was a nice surprise, but so was everyone who came. I regret I didn't come to the last one, but after today, I won't miss another unless I am providencially hindered. Precious finally met her match with Zeno. Conversation with the velosity of a machine gun between them, kept me entertained. I'm only sorry I didn't get to spend much time talking to everyone, as I would have liked, but look out next time!

It was my pleasure meeting all of you, and I hope to build on this meeting. There was no dissatisfaction today. We look forward to the next meeting, and send God’s blessings to everyone.

In case we didn’t get around to everyone, I am having a surgical procedure on my leg, on Thursday afternoon. After that, I’ll have to see what the doctor says about prolonged sitting at the computer. Until then, see you all, right here!

With love,

Sarge and Precious

Tots
Tots 07/27/10 - 06:29 pm
Cobalt,thanks for the get

Cobalt,thanks for the get together.Loved meeting and talking to everbody.

corgimom
corgimom 07/27/10 - 06:30 pm
Tumbleweed, "you prove it"-I

Tumbleweed, "you prove it"-I have no idea what "it" means, but whatever- works for me.

Tumbleweed, I invite you to read the AC Terms of Service. The moderators will pull posts that they don't agree with- and that is true for all of us.

Feel free to call me names, I work with 5 year olds. It doesn't bother me-although it's pathetic and sad when an adult acts like a small child.

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 06:33 pm
Did some reconnaissance for a

Did some reconnaissance for a client who is coming in the near future and didn't get home until 5:30. Found my Internet down. He who didn't get in from a meeting until 6:30. He has just gotten itback up.

I too want to express my gratitude to CB for putting a most delightful lunch together. Great to see old friends and meet newer ones in person for the first time.

Thanks again.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/27/10 - 06:33 pm
We love you, Kathy Sue

We love you, Kathy Sue Laudermilk! :o)

30cal
30cal 07/27/10 - 06:34 pm
CG ET AL thanks for the

CG ET AL thanks for the invite, nice to see and meet ,some of the posters.
REALLY nice to meet MRS. SARGE BABY , and good to see him getting around. would have been nice to see more of these people turn out. Well maybe next time.
HAD an informational ,fun and relaxing time . HOPE to be there next time also ( lots of lovely lady's)
Oh and CG you can't agrue w/ CM as you will always be LEFT or RIGHT but you cannot in her eye's be CORRECT

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 06:34 pm
We love you right back!

We love you right back!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/27/10 - 06:35 pm
Hi Tots! We loved meeting anf

Hi Tots! We loved meeting anf talking to you as well! It was a great afternoon!

usafvet
usafvet 07/27/10 - 06:41 pm
Corgimom, I guess I'll have

Corgimom, I guess I'll have to take the teacher approach... Now pay attention..."What needs to be taught is the same things (courses of study) that was taught way back when. The education learned in the 50's 60's era was good enough for space exploration, and other technologies that have so much enriched our everyday living".
Now, where did I say teach only what was taught then. The curriculum should be adjusted to advancements, but......those basics taught then should remain. Have you as a teacher never heard of "the three R's"? Too many students graduate today and cannot read, cannot do simple math, and certainly cannot compose or write in a manner that another person can read or comprehend. Believe me, I don't expect that students today or even those in the near future can come close to your achievements and accomplishments, but I do wish they could at least come closer to mine. Again, if we teach them to learn, the information is available.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/27/10 - 06:36 pm
Gotta put "He who" in there,

Gotta put "He who" in there, it was such a pleasure!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 06:41 pm

Do ya'll mind looking this stuff up for yourselves sometime. I hate doing all the google work.

Tots
Tots 07/27/10 - 06:42 pm
Sarge,sending love to you and

Sarge,sending love to you and Precious.Hope to see you both again soon.

corgimom
corgimom 07/27/10 - 06:42 pm
Sweetie, Corgi--someone has

Sweetie, Corgi--someone has to report it firs--do you think as the moderators have to do is sit and read your assinine posts?

"Firs"? "As the moderators have to do"? "Assinine"?

This is hilarious!

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/27/10 - 06:49 pm
Corgi 7:17 I don't think for

Corgi 7:17 I don't think for one minute that we should return back to the 50's and 60's edumication, but the History that was taught at that time could be mixed in with the History that has happened since. Science, Astronomy, and other subjects have been corrected where they need to be. My problem is advancing students that can hardly read and write, then graduate them. Until 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4, I don't see anything wrong with teaching the basics.
Teaching to the tests, and instead of requiring students to study and pass their grade, the school system just lowers the standards. I've heard High School teachers that can't even form a coherent sentence. Why would we think the students would? "Ya'll please get out yo' peoncils and peppa. I bees rite back, I be fit'ntago tooda office. Give me a Break!

corgimom
corgimom 07/27/10 - 06:44 pm
Schools have always had kids

Schools have always had kids that couldn't read, couldn't write, and couldn't do simple math. The boys worked on farms and other manual labor jobs, the girls became housewives.

That's nothing new.

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 06:45 pm
usafvet, I can't speak to

usafvet, I can't speak to what is taught in public schools today. My children are long out of school.

But something is wrong. When I went to college, there were no remedial courses because everyone there was prepared to jump into the college level material.

I audited some courses for the fun of it in the late 70's. I was shocked at the number of students having to take remedial English and math courses.

On the other hand, my sons had AP courses in the late 80's that gave them a jump start. They were able to achieve sophomore status by the second semester of their freshman year.

The answer has to start at home with parents caring about the education of their children and demanding the schools provide it.

corgimom
corgimom 07/27/10 - 06:46 pm
Crackerjack- it's the PARENTS

Crackerjack- it's the PARENTS that insist they be promoted. I can tell you that, again, from personal experience. Then the parents blame the schools.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/27/10 - 06:47 pm
Hi 30cal! I know she enjoyed

Hi 30cal! I know she enjoyed meeting you as well. We can hardly wait until the next time.

CM is a strong adversary but speaks with some authority. We have to speak from what we have learned, and what the accepted practices of today's educational systems are teaching our children. The best way to make any changes is to be heavily involved. As a teacher, CM is providing her experience, and as parents we see things much more differently from the fence around the schoolyard. We have to be able to listen, in order to effect change. An exchange of ideas and experiences often meets with differences of opinion, but also leads to problem solving!

corgimom
corgimom 07/27/10 - 06:47 pm
KSL, you can thank the Hope

KSL, you can thank the Hope Scholarship for all the remedial classes in Georgia universities today.

Tots
Tots 07/27/10 - 06:50 pm
Usafvet@7:41pm-would that be

Usafvet@7:41pm-would that be called a slam dunk?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 06:51 pm
Yep, ol' George made sure

Yep, ol' George made sure Barbara and Jenna were promoted. That's where he got the idea for No Child Left Behind.

30cal
30cal 07/27/10 - 06:51 pm
IF we could get MODERN day

IF we could get MODERN day educators to worry about what the kids are doing ,and correct them,as much as they correct the poster's n here.then USAFVET and many others ,such as myself would have no complaints w/ the educational system.
OOPS! now she comes after me.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 06:51 pm
By the way I did not support

By the way I did not support that program.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/27/10 - 06:53 pm
Sending it back to you, Tots!

Sending it back to you, Tots! Best day in a long time!

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/27/10 - 06:54 pm
Thanx to CG: I really

Thanx to CG: I really enjoyed meeting all the people at the luncheon today; I had in my imagination faces and personalities for all the screen identities. Not one of them was correct. Everyone turned out to be more charming than I had expected, and I look forward to doing this again, only with more people.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 06:54 pm
Here is a really radical idea

Here is a really radical idea for education. Teach the kids facts/theories. Give them a test. If they pass the tests they get promoted. If not, they are rewarded by not having to learn a new teachers name the next year.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 06:56 pm
dstewart, if you think I was

dstewart, if you think I was charming you had to be talking to an impostor!! I had a great time, thanks CG

Tots
Tots 07/27/10 - 06:57 pm
I think the round table idea

I think the round table idea is a good one Sarge.

KSL
KSL 07/27/10 - 06:57 pm
Well, I saw it way before the

Well, I saw it way before the Hope Scholarship. I'm talking about the 70's.

Carter had a lot to do with taking education down.

"A B average in a under-performing school is not comparable to a B average in a high-performing school." That is true, but intelligent students with a desire to learn can make up for that in no time.

I went off to college in the northeast from a southern high school. I had not been exposed to anywhere near as much as some of the students from expensive private schools in other areas of the country. By the end of the first semester, however, 90% of the freshmen in my dorm were on academic probation, actually it was more like a warning. I was in the 10% that was not.

usafvet
usafvet 07/27/10 - 06:58 pm
Thanks KSL. Not trying to get

Thanks KSL. Not trying to get another DUNCE HAT, but my wish is simply that we stop graduating "dummies".

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.