Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

This is a rant for Augusta State University for wanting to kick Jennifer Keeton out of school because she stands up for what she believes in. If anybody should be kicked out, it's the people who put this on her.

I am so proud of Jennifer Keeton. Brave young lady. In this culture of Christian bashing and immorality she gives me hope.

Hurrah and raves for Jennifer Keeton for standing up for her religious rights and beliefs.

Would someone please explain to me how we could have won World War II in only four to five years but can't beat the Taliban and al - Qaida in nine years? It's time for us to give up and bring our people home. Enough lives have already been lost on two pieces of nothing.

I'm an employee at SRS. We do not need people building the Savannah River Site's new addition or Plant Vogtle if they cannot read English. You should not be allowed to work at these two nuclear sites if you cannot read or speak English.

Who is responsible for maintaining the median along the Bobby Jones Expressway? As many times as we have driven to and from Atlanta, I have never, never seen trash in the median like what we have along Bobby Jones. Tires, parts of cars, cardboard boxes, all kinds of things thrown out of a car.

Eugene Robinson sees no problem with the New Black Panther Party members standing in front of polling places with batons because they're a fringe group. So is the KKK. What would his reaction be if the folks standing in front of a polling place wore white sheets?

A rant to the MCG employees turning left onto San Sebastian from Telfair Street during rush hour. You are required by law to yield to oncoming vehicles. And yes, a bicycle is a vehicle, according to Georgia law. How will you feel when you run over a cyclist while breaking the law and chatting on your cell phone at the same time?

I was contacted by a telemarketer who identified himself as a representative of a pro-life campaign wanting money to oppose partial birth abortions. I asked what portion of the money went to operating expenses and how much went to the campaign? He said he did not have that information but referred me to a Web site and said I could give online. When I tried to go to the Web site this is what came up: POSSIBLE FRAUD ALERT "Deceptive" groups raise $3,000,000. It mentioned" Elect Life" and " Prolife Campaign"and said no leading pro-life organizations in Washington have heard of them or seen evidence of their work.

Tell us what you think

Submit a rant or rave.

speeding
speeding 07/27/10 - 01:26 pm
What is a reasonable price?

What is a reasonable price? One cold biscuit per day?

sliique
sliique 07/27/10 - 01:26 pm
"hmm, has everybody been

"hmm, has everybody been banned?"

I was for awhile, but I notice a FEW that aren't that should be, imho.

momster59
momster59 07/27/10 - 01:37 pm
smalltowngal - you obviously

smalltowngal - you obviously searched the teaching standards the way many who post on this site search their religious text, only to support you views. According to the high school standards for world history, as part of learning of the history of an era, students learn the origins of basically all the major religions, even those no longer widely practiced. Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, the protestant reformation, the ancient Greek and Roman gods, and others.

corgimom
corgimom 07/27/10 - 02:11 pm
"1 thru 3 Hoorah for

"1 thru 3 Hoorah for Jennifer, fighting our Government funded anti-christian schools that brainwash our children."

I laugh when I read about schools brainwashing children- if they could, they'd brainwash them to do their work, respect their teachers, and graduate. Don't commit crimes, don't do drugs.

So how's that brainwashing working?

You just can't make this crazy stuff up, you know?

momster59
momster59 07/27/10 - 02:14 pm
corgimom - the teaching

corgimom - the teaching community salutes you! Add to the brainwashing eat the right foods, exercise, don't get pregnant, go for further education/training after high school. If we were brainwashing our students the entire USA would be Utopia!

momster59
momster59 07/27/10 - 02:31 pm
tumbleweed, amazing how you

tumbleweed, amazing how you needed to jump on me and not corgimom when we were both saying the same thing. hmmmm, some of my posts must not agree with you. However, corgi and I are both saying that we are not brainwashing children. I am teaching the high school standards for the subjects I instruct on the high school level. I don't have time to deviate.
I'm just wondering what is so scary to a conservative like yourself that students do their homework, don't get pregnant, use drugs, graduate, get more job training after school, stay out of jail, don't commit crime? The Utopia I was referring to is the things that were mentioned in mine and corgi's posts. I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on someone else.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/27/10 - 02:38 pm
Obama will make history as

Obama will make history as the first sitting president on a daytime talk show when he visits 'The View,' and to do it he'll miss the Boy Scouts' Jamboree marking the group's 100th anniversary.

momster59
momster59 07/27/10 - 02:41 pm
By the way tumbleweed, who

By the way tumbleweed, who told you I teach in RC? My school has consistently made AYP. My students have consistently scored very high on their EOCT tests for their particular subject, AND the dropout rate at the school I teach is low.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 07/27/10 - 02:48 pm
Troy, no wonder the POTUS is

Troy, no wonder the POTUS is going on "The View", as nothing else of much import is going on in the world anyway. Besides, if he skipped, he might have to visit AZ, as Jan Brewer has asked him many times. He always says he can't because he doesn't have the time. No time for the BSA either. Busy man....

momster59
momster59 07/27/10 - 03:08 pm
Tumbleweed Monster--that's

Tumbleweed Monster--that's what you liberals are pushing for, is it not? You sure are not teaching basic education. Tell me again what the drop out rate is??? Oh yeah, and tell me just how many schools in richmond county failed to meet AYP? UMMM, huh--teaching--yeah, you tell um!

And by your words you condemn yourself.

You still have not explained what is so liberal about wishing that students would do their homework, not use drugs, not go to jail, graduate, not get pregnant, further their education, respect their teachers.
As corgi pointed out and I agreed IF teachers were in the business of brainwashing, it would not be Islam (as suggested by crackerjack), but these sort of things. You are obviously just trying to pick a fight because you disagree with my postings.

countyman
20120
countyman 07/27/10 - 03:27 pm
AYP is nothing but a failure

AYP is nothing but a failure put forth by the Bush administration.... I would never judge a school by their AYP results... Graduation rates, AP classes, IB programs, and SAT scores are far more important criteria....

Lol, what a major failed attempt... Tumbleweed tried to get a shot in at RC and Momster59 doesn't even teach in the county... Caught up in trying so hard to bash Richmond County and the person doesn't even teach in a RC school lol... He/She needs to take the rose colored glasses off..

The graduation rate for the three biggest counties in the metro are Columbia county at 83%, Richmond 76% and Aiken County at 67%..........

montega12
montega12 07/27/10 - 03:29 pm
sorry when i was in school we

sorry when i was in school we never were taught about islam buddists it was mentioned but we were not taught about it i graduated in the 90s its a shame how education has been perverted into propaganda..we were taught the horrors of communism and socialism now they are shown as virtuous systems of government....what these schools turn out now are mindless atate robots they can barely think for themselves

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/27/10 - 03:58 pm
Ditto montega12 and this is

Ditto montega12 and this is the reason we need school vouchers. In order to be brainwashed you need a certain gray item. In every school, there are a few teachers that try to do the right thing, and unfortunately they are put up for ridicule by the BOE, Admin, and some so-called parent(s), who don't care one way or another.

momster59
momster59 07/27/10 - 03:59 pm
montega12 Let me get this

montega12 Let me get this straight. Are you saying that by studying a variety of things a student is turned into a mindless robot, but that by being taught only one narrow view of the world they are not? That by exposing them to more ideas instead of less they are robbed of the ability to think for themselves?
I'll make sure that I only teach my students those ideas in my field that were acceptable when you were in school. Could you please let me know when you graduated so I can narrow down my curriculum?

smalltowngal
smalltowngal 07/27/10 - 04:10 pm
SSWH5 The student will trace

SSWH5 The student will trace the origins and expansion of the Islamic World between 600 CE and 1300 CE.
a. Explain the origins of Islam and the growth of the Islamic Empire.
b. Identify the Muslim trade routes to India, China, Europe, and Africa and assess the economic impact of this trade.
c. Explain the reasons for the split between Sunni and Shia Muslims.
d. Identify the contributions of Islamic scholars in medicine (Ibn Sina) and geography (Ibn Battuta).
e. Describe the impact of the Crusades on both the Islamic World and Europe.
f. Analyze the relationship between Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
This is the actual GPS for high school. Other religions of the world have elements within the standard, but only to the extent of how the religion impacted a particular civilization. Momster, I did not just pick a standard to expouse my views, was attempting to impact information to another poster. i would rather, though, see a standard addressing how Judeism and Christianity have impacted the world, but positively and negatively.

smalltowngal
smalltowngal 07/27/10 - 04:19 pm
Momster, why so defensive.

Momster, why so defensive. Yes, the curriculum has changed in the last 30-40 years. Our kids need to be informed and informative about the world stage. Our populace also needs to be clued into what is actually being taught in school. We do need to be careful not to sway them to any opinions, but help them keep an open mind and think critically so they can form opinions of their own. Many in our schools are failing, we teachers know this, and if you are like me, you want to find ways to teach so they can learn, but at the same time, we know what we have to teach is not what some students need. Instead of blindly following the standards, we need to continue to raise our concerns to the state and local gov'ts to provide an adequate/meaningful, education to these kids, too.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/27/10 - 04:20 pm
"Benevolence alone will not

"Benevolence alone will not make a teacher, nor will learning alone do it. The gift of teaching is a peculiar talent, and implies a need and a craving in the teacher himself."
- John Jay Chapman

w00t!

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 07/27/10 - 04:19 pm
Typical..I mean what else do

Typical..I mean what else do you expect when the PC police run the schools? Pretty much run the country actually, especially when this POTUS tells the head of NASA that his primary mission is to help the muslim world with their self esteem by highlighting their contributions to science and math? What utter nonesense. Had it been Christians, instead of muslims, then the entire lamestream media would be bashing the administration as favoring one religion over another...but not when that religion is muslim it appears. Before too much longer, if we are not careful, all American women will be required by sharia law to keep their faces covered when in public. Laugh if you want, but seems that the muslim faith has been singled out here as being favored....or is it just me?

momster59
momster59 07/27/10 - 04:28 pm
smalltowngirl you are again

smalltowngirl you are again picking and choosing. This topic of this strand is to trace the Islamic world. Under the Chinese section there are strands on Confucius. Under the Indian section there are strands on Buddhism, Hinduism and others. In the Roman Empire section, there are strands on polytheistic religions, and the emergence of Christianity. Christianity is discussed throughout the section on Europe.
These are WORLD HISTORY strands. You cannot ignore the religious development of billions of people. If you want your child to be taught the origins of christianity, homeschool your child or send them to a parochial school.

smalltowngal
smalltowngal 07/27/10 - 04:31 pm
The strands that deal with

The strands that deal with other major religions are only elements of a standard dealing the tracing the hx of various cultures. Only Islam, in HS, has its on standard. Its easy to "pick and choose". Buddism, Confusiousism, etc, are under their respective cultures.

smalltowngal
smalltowngal 07/27/10 - 04:35 pm
My children are grown, but we

My children are grown, but we indeed, taught them at home. We did not abducate their raising to the school system. Got more sense than that. The school system provided only a portion of their learning.

momster59
momster59 07/27/10 - 04:33 pm
Federalist Don't be

Federalist Don't be ridiculous. NASA is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. They study the universe, outer space, other planets and solar systems.
Then again, the early astronomers were threatened with death by the inquisition for daring to say that the earth was not the center of the universe.

smalltowngal
smalltowngal 07/27/10 - 04:37 pm
And the Director of NASA did

And the Director of NASA did come out a few weeks back stating the POTUS had given him that particular mission. Whether he did or not remains to be seen.

smalltowngal
smalltowngal 07/27/10 - 04:38 pm
Troy, you so quiet today.

Troy, you so quiet today. Working?

Riverrunner30909
Riverrunner30909 07/27/10 - 04:48 pm
Tango you bet your butt. I

Tango you bet your butt. I was building a house about 5 years ago and a mexican crew showed up that had to have only one guy speaking for them. I put their butt on the asphalt to find another Idiot to try and push their shortcut ways on. When it comes to their belief in work ethics, cheap is exactly what you get no matter what the price is.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 07/27/10 - 05:01 pm
For gosh, Troy has said many

For gosh, Troy has said many time he keeps the middle easy times tables and is not on Continental USA time. so he's asleep usually in the afternoons...

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 07/27/10 - 05:02 pm
Rainin' now, three sheets

Rainin' now, three sheets into the wind and rearin' ta go...TTYL.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/27/10 - 05:37 pm
I want to say it was one

I want to say it was one pleasant afternoon meeting those that you associate with words almost daily and but never meet. So many different personalities, but true Americans at heart.

It is so sad to think of the possibility that this will dwindle as times and changes take over this once God backed America.

It was my pleasure meeting all of you. (no politics, no religion, nothing about sexual beliefs, no crime, no talk about taxes, no race) just plain good old conversation and feelings of friendship.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 05:53 pm
momster, I won't bore you

momster, I won't bore you with my beliefs instead I will present facts.

Lawmakers across Capitol Hill, both Democrats and Republicans, were surprised to learn recently that the Obama administration has made reaching out to Muslim nations a top priority for the space agency NASA. They will probably be more surprised to learn that administration officials told the Middle East news organization Al Jazeera about it before they told Congress.
Rep. Pete Olson, the ranking Republican on the House Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics, got a call from NASA Administrator Charles Bolden on June 28, the day the White House released its new long-term plan for the space program. "He ran down some of the things from the president's new space policy, and mentioned outreach to Muslims," Olson recalls. "That stunned me. I didn't believe it."

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/politics/NASA_s-Muslim-outreach_-Al-Jazeera-to...

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/27/10 - 05:54 pm
Now, who will be the first to

Now, who will be the first to tell me that the San Fransissyco Examiner is a right wing publication?