Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

It is not often that I agree with an editorial in The Chronicle, but the editorial on July 14 is very accurate in describing what's happening with the young folks in the Augusta area and I guess everywhere else. If they're not given punishment that will make them understand that something happens because of the things they do, they'll keep on doing it.

I watched the "throwdown" with Bobby Flay and Very Vera, and it was quite obvious who cooked which cake. Bobby's was two layers, and Vera's was three. They even made the comment that Bobby's was more moist than Vera's. But what mayor is going to let an outsider come in and win when the local is clearly there to win and look good for the city of Augusta. I don't think it was a fair contest. I think Bobby should've won, considering his cake was more moist, even though it was not the traditional frosting. I think Vera won because she's an Augusta native and the mayor was one of the judges.

This is a rant for the person who compared Barack Obama to Jackie Robinson. Seriously? You're comparing a baseball player to a president? The job descriptions are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Just because the first black ballplayer turned out to be one of the best of all time certainly does not mean that the first black president will turn out to be one of the best.

Why do most candidates travel and spend, all the while saying nothing of substance? Just because somebody flies into Augusta for a few minutes won't make him or her a good leader.

South Carolina gubernatorial hopeful Vincent Sheehan released tax records that show his income jumped from $74,641 to $372,509. Ain't it amazing that his law firm suddenly started raking in the big bucks only after Sheehan got into the Legislature?

I would like to applaud and congratulate Dr. Wayne Frazier, his staff and Glenn Hills High School for putting children first and making AYP. Great job - keep up the good work.

The elderly folks of Ervin Towers on Laney-Walker are losing their bus route. It is their only access to the doctor, shopping and productive lives. Now the commission is cutting their route and they have to walk several blocks over treacherous railroad tracks in the 100-degree heat. We are talking about people in their 80s and 90s.

Two of Kathleen Parker's columns recently published in The Chronicle resonated particularly with me. One was her wonderfully perceptive article about Harper Lee's tone toward the South of the 1930s in To Kill a Mockingbird. In her other column, concerning physical threats by Muslim extremists against cartoonists, Ms. Parker defended free speech in general by saying, "We even extend freedom of expression to the evil and stupid, figuring it is better that hate and ignorance be exposed in the light of day than that they go underground to fester and breed." Well said. Thanks, Chronicle, for publishing that.

Tell us what you think

Submit a rant or rave.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 10:33 am
Here is some more meaningless

Here is some more meaningless drivel since I won today's contest with my 8:19 AM post:

Seventy percent (70%) of adults think concert ticket prices are too high, and only 35% say they have attended a music concert in the last year. Most adults (62%) have not attended a concert in the past year, according to a new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey.

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/10 - 10:38 am
I'd drink, all right. It'd be

I'd drink, all right. It'd be like beer pong- "200 jobs were created by XYZ" -gulp- "100 jobs by Knothead Technology"- gulp- "A toenail clipping shop was opened in South Augusta"- gulp- "The homeless down by the river have erected 10 new shacks, we are on the move, they are upscale- some have tin along with cardboard"- gulp- "There are plans to erect a mixed use center to hold Twister competitions, I can't wait"-gulp- "I predict that there will be 256 homicides by year end, Augusta is safe"-gulp-by the time it was over, I'd be comatose. I'd need Aye to revive me.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 10:38 am
I am rather concerned about

I am rather concerned about the 3% that didn't know if they had attended a concert within the last year......

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 10:40 am
Sliique posted relevant

Sliique posted relevant comment Troy. The Commish says no gold for you. Good morning folks.

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/10 - 10:42 am
Troy, actually, it's not

Troy, actually, it's not meaningless.

It is a major indicator of a bad economy. Tours are being cancelled left and right because the ticket sales are so bad. Christina Aguilera, Lillith Fair, all sorts of country and rock acts are either cancelling or reducing dates. Lots of artists are reducing their fees and ticket prices.

There have been several articles about this, the link above is the latest round of cancellations.

When Rhianna cancels in Atl, you KNOW it's bad.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 10:40 am
I am appealing!!!

I am appealing!!!

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 10:44 am
ROFLMHHAO @ CORGI! You are ON

ROFLMHHAO @ CORGI! You are ON today girlfriend 8-)

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 10:46 am
DENIED!

DENIED!

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 10:47 am
Brickyard plan is 100% a go,

Brickyard plan is 100% a go, Broner.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 10:50 am
Not if you don't think I'm

Not if you don't think I'm appealing it isn't ....

w00t! again

usafvet
usafvet 07/25/10 - 10:52 am
Aye, Aye, on your 10:44. I

Aye, Aye, on your 10:44. I was thinking the same thing. Bet Mr. Corgi enjoyed it also.

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 10:58 am
Check your contest rules.

Check your contest rules. Must be mindless blather or similar. Appeal denied.

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 11:08 am
BREAKING NEWS! The Commish

BREAKING NEWS! The Commish has upheld Troy's appeal and awarded gold. Congratulations!

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 11:09 am
LOL - Okay, I'll stock the

LOL - Okay, I'll stock the cooler....

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 11:10 am
There is already underwear

There is already underwear with Obowel & Nancy images. The images disappear when laundered.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 11:13 am
solitaire denial: Urban Word

solitaire denial: Urban Word of the Day

Flipping through the deck over and over while playing the card game Solitaire even though there are no more moves available, denying that you have lost even though you already know it.

Guy #1: Dude, you've gone through the deck 3 times already. Give it up, you've lost.
Guy #2: ...So I have. I'm in solitaire denial again.

---------------------------------------------------

For some reason this reminds me of a few of our R&R contributors....no one specifically of course.

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/10 - 11:15 am
Nah, Aye, the Nancy ones are

Nah, Aye, the Nancy ones are stiff as a board. They never wrinkle.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 11:17 am
I wonder if anybody makes

I wonder if anybody makes Botox Borax???

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/10 - 11:19 am
Troy, Nancy's doctor doesn't

Troy, Nancy's doctor doesn't use a needle to inject it. He uses a caulking gun.

countyman
19719
countyman 07/25/10 - 11:38 am
The $25 million vacational

The $25 million vacational high school in South Augusta next to Augusta Tech... The school is about to start construction shortly...

7th best economy in the nation ranked by Brookings institute, 4 2010 AP Honor high schools(the most in the CSRA), #1 school in the state of GA(Davidson), graduation rate up to 76%, tax revenue up, tax digest grew by $51 million, slash two fourlough days, thousands of private and government jobs coming, unemployment rate lower than the state and national average, airport started valet parking last week, the airport is on pace to have 250k departing passengers the most since 1986 and American Eagle's Augusta flights are 80% full while their nationwide capacity is 77%...

Cutting property taxes in a recession? Even Georgia Public Broadcasting had to do a article on the city....

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 11:36 am
"Here's a quarter....."

"Here's a quarter....."

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 11:40 am
Cutting property taxes in a

Cutting property taxes in a recession?
___________________________
You have been corrected many times, clearly you cannot comprehend truth. Millage rollback does NOT equal a property tax cut. What does it take for a truth to stick in your vacuum?

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 11:41 am
Aye prefers Justus4 to

Aye prefers Justus4 to Countyman... at least Justus does his thang and disappears...

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 11:43 am
Corgi: Then I haven't had any

Corgi: Then I haven't had any of Nancywear since my adolescence. =8-0

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 11:44 am
Sad sad sad... when you have

Sad sad sad... when you have to resort to "We aren't as bad off as others" as high praise, you are tilting at windmills.

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 11:44 am
Toldja'll Aye was a morning

Toldja'll Aye was a morning person, lol.

80proof
80proof 07/25/10 - 11:49 am
Good morning...sort of.

Good morning...sort of.

countyman
19719
countyman 07/25/10 - 11:51 am
Ranter #2... The cake contest

Ranter #2... The cake contest brought alot of free publicity to Augusta. Similar to Brookings Metro Monitor, Georgia Public Broadcasting, Business Week, and the numerous Forbes articles Augusta was featured in.. It's a win win situation for the whole CSRA..... When BottleTek starts construction on their $100 million facility in South Augusta(late 2010/early 2011) and ADP builds their 2nd facility in West Augusta. Expect Augusta and our citizens to be featured in newspapers, contest, magazines, tv, etc.

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 11:52 am
Grossen Bullschiezen.

Grossen Bullschiezen.

Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 11:52 am
Good am, 80p.. sort of.

Good am, 80p.. sort of.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...