Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

It is not often that I agree with an editorial in The Chronicle, but the editorial on July 14 is very accurate in describing what's happening with the young folks in the Augusta area and I guess everywhere else. If they're not given punishment that will make them understand that something happens because of the things they do, they'll keep on doing it.

I watched the "throwdown" with Bobby Flay and Very Vera, and it was quite obvious who cooked which cake. Bobby's was two layers, and Vera's was three. They even made the comment that Bobby's was more moist than Vera's. But what mayor is going to let an outsider come in and win when the local is clearly there to win and look good for the city of Augusta. I don't think it was a fair contest. I think Bobby should've won, considering his cake was more moist, even though it was not the traditional frosting. I think Vera won because she's an Augusta native and the mayor was one of the judges.

This is a rant for the person who compared Barack Obama to Jackie Robinson. Seriously? You're comparing a baseball player to a president? The job descriptions are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Just because the first black ballplayer turned out to be one of the best of all time certainly does not mean that the first black president will turn out to be one of the best.

Why do most candidates travel and spend, all the while saying nothing of substance? Just because somebody flies into Augusta for a few minutes won't make him or her a good leader.

South Carolina gubernatorial hopeful Vincent Sheehan released tax records that show his income jumped from $74,641 to $372,509. Ain't it amazing that his law firm suddenly started raking in the big bucks only after Sheehan got into the Legislature?

I would like to applaud and congratulate Dr. Wayne Frazier, his staff and Glenn Hills High School for putting children first and making AYP. Great job - keep up the good work.

The elderly folks of Ervin Towers on Laney-Walker are losing their bus route. It is their only access to the doctor, shopping and productive lives. Now the commission is cutting their route and they have to walk several blocks over treacherous railroad tracks in the 100-degree heat. We are talking about people in their 80s and 90s.

Two of Kathleen Parker's columns recently published in The Chronicle resonated particularly with me. One was her wonderfully perceptive article about Harper Lee's tone toward the South of the 1930s in To Kill a Mockingbird. In her other column, concerning physical threats by Muslim extremists against cartoonists, Ms. Parker defended free speech in general by saying, "We even extend freedom of expression to the evil and stupid, figuring it is better that hate and ignorance be exposed in the light of day than that they go underground to fester and breed." Well said. Thanks, Chronicle, for publishing that.

Tell us what you think

Submit a rant or rave.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/24/10 - 11:34 pm
If the city of Augusta cannot

If the city of Augusta cannot accomplish anything else it should make every effort to keep the buses available to the residents of Erwin Towers!
Let just ONE Commissioner make the trek from the building to the bus stop - let him/her feel the heat and stumble over uneven pavement - I bet the bus would be available the next day! Come on, Commissioners or whoever has the say so - get those buses back into operation, NOW!
The heat is unbearable as it is - but most don't know, sitting in their air conditioned offices and cars. (No bus needed there!!)

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 07/25/10 - 12:57 am
Ok, I'm here, the RNR's are

Ok, I'm here, the RNR's are up, it's destiny:

1.It is the sole responsibility of parents to do as you wish. Punishment begins early, is consistent, and by the time the miscreants hit the court system, the excuses are ingrained. The court system merely reinforces this mentality. But I agree with you.

2. Gracious. Noted.

3.AWESOME!

4. Because this is all the dumb masses care to hear.

5. Amazing? From under what rock have you recently crawled?

6. Very nice. Support Wayne Frazier. Humans make mistakes, and the smart ones learn. Just because he had the means to hire an attorney to successfully defend himself, quit hating on him. You don't like the fact he had money and used it? Get out there and make your own and enjoy the benefits of being on top of the system. Quit complaining and fix your own life. It's liberating.

7. This is a dilemma for me... my personal responsibility side says "Tough, you're there because of decisions you've made in your life and no other reason." My compassionate side says, "We've got to help these people, they need it." Therein lies our quandary: How do we reduce welfare/government benefits/pubic transit/etc without the harm to the innocent?

8. I make it clear I detest some of the comments made here, but I will give my life freely for those comments to be made without censorship. Those who only consider what they agree with cannot grow and will never learn to compromise.

Sorry, got long winded.
Doc
=8-)

80proof
80proof 07/25/10 - 01:11 am
I'm not the only night owl

I'm not the only night owl tonight.

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/10 - 01:54 am
#2- This has got to be,

#2- This has got to be, truly, one of the most inane subjects in Augusta. It was a publicity stunt to promote Very Vera and Augusta. It was successful. End of story.

#4- You are an informed voter. However, it's getting to be where it's "vote for the best of the bad."

*5- Nope, one big lawsuit is all it takes. See John Edwards.

#7- There are elderly residents ALL OVER RC that don't have bus service. Some of them would be grateful to have bus service within a few blocks, because they don't have it at all. When I lived in RC, and didn't have a car and had an infant, the nearest bus line was Regency Mall- several miles away. I lived off of Peach Orchard Rd, where they discontinued bus service shortly after we moved there. It was six miles to downtown- along Gordon Highway. Elderly people lived there, too. Nobody cared. It's a tremendous problem all over RC. And although I don't know, perhaps one reason why they quit riding the bus is because they didn't feel safe- most super-elderly don't. Not only is it unsafe at the bus stop, they have great difficulty climbing the stairs and walking down the aisle- especially when the bus is moving. If they use a cane or a walker, or have balance issues, or limp, or move slowly- the bus is not their friend. I'm 52 and disabled, and I can't hardly climb bus stairs anymore- the steps are too high.

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/10 - 02:43 am
OK, this is for all of you

OK, this is for all of you that hate car salesmen.

This did not happen in the CSRA, by the way.

We purchased a new 2010 Toyota Corolla LE last November. 0% financing, 60 months.

Tonight we went to purchase another one. Same dealership. Same car. The only difference- the ONLY difference in the two cars- was the exterior paint color. 0%, 60 months financing.

The salesman wanted to charge us $1,500 MORE for the second car than what we paid in November.

HUH?

Being the person I am, I told him what I was willing to pay. He kept throwing out numbers and payments, saying things like, "Won't you give me $500 more?"

Me, after getting mad: "Who would be STUPID enough to do that?"

We walked out the door. The general manager literally RAN after us.

We got the 2nd car for less than the first one. Ya think?

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 07/25/10 - 04:56 am
Give it up with the cake

Give it up with the cake conspiracy. Why not just be happy that one of the best Chef's in Augusta who has been very successful selling her cakes all across America through various outlets has done a great job for Augusta and represented us very well. Vera's cakes are absolutely delicious as well as her many other catering endeavors. She is a great person, business person, chef, etc. and certainly is well deserving.

disssman
disssman 07/25/10 - 05:42 am
Isn't there a medical taxi

Isn't there a medical taxi service available to take medicaid and medicare patients to the doctor? Isn't that what the Erwin towers people really need?

disssman
disssman 07/25/10 - 05:48 am
Are you telling me that when

Are you telling me that when candidates fly in and meet with "stakeholders" they only do it for money? Wow, and I thought they did it because they loved the area and were thinking about re-locating here.

disssman
disssman 07/25/10 - 05:49 am
BTW what could be better for

BTW what could be better for an ovewrweight sick person than a nice daily walk?

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/10 - 06:45 am
Disssman, they are! Augusta

Disssman, they are! Augusta is a boom town! It's safe! It's prosperous! Millions of people visit the Riverwalk each year! Businesses never close, yet new businesses seem to open where the never-closing businesses just disappear! The school system is so terrific, that more and more schools are not making AYP! "Approximately" 70% of it's students receive free or reduced lunch!

How could you not want to relocate to a place like that?

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 06:51 am
Re: 2:43 AM - Noted, and we

Re: 2:43 AM - Noted, and we are all very proud of you.

omnomnom
omnomnom 07/25/10 - 07:14 am
Silver City downtown (Broad &

Silver City downtown (Broad & 12th) is closing. Sigh. Now where will I hang out on first Friday? Ren Pub is closed.. Room 9 is now a gay bar.. My brain hurts from loud music last night. I need some goodys

Trouble
Trouble 07/25/10 - 07:33 am
morning all

morning all

Zoe
Zoe 07/25/10 - 07:58 am
A good mix of rants and raves

A good mix of rants and raves today........

Good morning guys and gals

Zoe
Zoe 07/25/10 - 08:00 am
hee hee Troy

hee hee Troy

usafvet
usafvet 07/25/10 - 08:12 am
Corgimom, you and countyman

Corgimom, you and countyman aren't sharing a drink are you?

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 08:19 am
G'mornin, Zoe. Hope

G'mornin, Zoe. Hope everything is going okay.

(just to get my personal blog drivel in early)

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 07/25/10 - 08:31 am
About the "Throw-down" If you

About the "Throw-down" If you look at the tape of the show when they were scanning the crowd the Mayor was standing in the back of the room and he was watching them talk and bake the cakes so he knew that Bobby's was 2 layers and Vera's was three. Makes you wonder if the whole show is a set up for different cities! Why would you let a judge view that process he can't very well be bias. He already had his mind made up!

usafvet
usafvet 07/25/10 - 08:38 am
Sorry Corgimom, in my haste I

Sorry Corgimom, in my haste I missed the punctuation. Had me worried there. Actually I figured you were only giving Countyman his cue to RE RE RE......ITERATE just how safe and prosperous Augusta is.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 08:39 am
Sounds like a potential idea

Sounds like a potential idea for a new political action committee:

S.M.A.V.S. - Soccer Moms Against Vera Stewart

usafvet
usafvet 07/25/10 - 09:00 am
Run with it Troy. If it

Run with it Troy. If it hasn't brought you in at least 100,000 by next week, it must be failing. If so, you could very well qualify for a stimulus package and be awarded millions. Beware however, dumbobama would require you to provide a place on "DA PORCH" for him, pelosi, reid and maybe even barney the week that Deke set aside for them.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 09:02 am
usavet - LOL! Hmmmm, signs

usavet - LOL! Hmmmm, signs signs, everywhere a sign......

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 09:18 am
We used to have underwear for

We used to have underwear for children with likenesses of favorite fantasy characters on them. How about underwear for adults with likenesses of favorite political figures on them? Anybody feel like applying for one of these widely available small business loans with me?

sliique
sliique 07/25/10 - 09:54 am
Rant # 3.....Obama is NOT the

Rant # 3.....Obama is NOT the "first Black President! He is the first half White, half Black President!!!!

Woot!

usafvet
usafvet 07/25/10 - 09:55 am
I can readily pick the two

I can readily pick the two spots on the underwear for barney and dumbobama, will have to think about the others. Of course all underwear already pay tribute to the democrats, the three open areas. Nothing there.

bettyboop
bettyboop 07/25/10 - 10:07 am
Good Morning all you Princes

Good Morning all you Princes of the South!
Old Jackie Robinson would have made a better President than barry the idiot.......................................anyone watch the"Pillars Of the Earth"
last night on starz?.....

Zoe
Zoe 07/25/10 - 10:19 am
Appreciate that Troy. Howz

Appreciate that Troy. Howz life been treating you of late? :)

Zoe
Zoe 07/25/10 - 10:20 am
Sliique, did you copy and

Sliique, did you copy and paste your own post?

bettyboop
bettyboop 07/25/10 - 10:27 am
LOL...anyone Read "Pillars of

LOL...anyone Read "Pillars of the Earth"?..................anyone Read?

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/25/10 - 10:29 am
I'm sure someone watched it

I'm sure someone watched it and someone read it, but I am not that someone.

Zoe, I remain "Better than I deserve". w00t!