Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

Tell us what you think
Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 07/20/10 - 02:07 am
Complaining about politicians

Complaining about politicians trying to get their message out to the citizens through phone calls, recorded or otherwise is ridiculous. First, you can decline any call but the real problem is that so many could care less what the candidates have to say and either fail to vote or vote for the wrong reasons. As a member of the Professional Association of Educators who wants more money for schools no matter what even though school spending has increased per pupil with enrollment decreasing I doubt you really care what Karen or John have to say. And, thanks President Obama for another lie as proved today when the Feds went to court and defended that the health care bill would be new taxes for Americans to include low income Americans although you berated George Stephanoplis for calling it a tax last year and also for telling us you could keep your Doctor under the new health care plan and now insurers are limiting what Doctors can be used. This has been one lie after another lie and it is pathetic. For those who voted for Obama and or support Pelosi, Reid, Frank, etc. you made a mistake by falling for all of the lies but if you now continue to support them seeing all of the lies out in the open and the trillions that has been spent to acomplish nothing positive for this country please wake up.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/20/10 - 05:49 am
Female athletes probably

Female athletes probably aren't wearing sweaty and itchy protective cups.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/20/10 - 06:37 am
Ahh! Politicians using the

Ahh! Politicians using the robocall system. When the recording starts just push 2 randomly for about 15 seconds. This will usually tell the system that they have reached a fax machine and it will delete the number from the computer, or just hang up. There is also the "Let the machine get it! approach!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/20/10 - 06:48 am
If this doesn't chaff you in

If this doesn't chaff you in the shorts nothing will!!http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/19/clip-shows-usda-official-admitting-withheld-help-white-farmer/

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/20/10 - 07:00 am
The polls are open. Vote

The polls are open. Vote early - vote often!

KSL
KSL 07/20/10 - 07:06 am
Absolutely incredible, CBBP.

Absolutely incredible, CBBP.

KSL
KSL 07/20/10 - 07:10 am
I just let my calls from

I just let my calls from politicians build up on the answering machine. They are essentially the only ones who call and leave messages there.

By the way, my home phone is on the Do Not Call list. Isn't amazing that they exempted themselves from the list?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/20/10 - 07:16 am
By exempting themselves from

By exempting themselves from the do not call list they pretty much exempt themselves from my vote. I vote by the candidate, not the party!

Trouble
Trouble 07/20/10 - 07:33 am
morning all

morning all

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 07/20/10 - 07:35 am
GEORGIA HAS MORE illegal

GEORGIA HAS MORE illegal immigrants than Arizona. Now that is an eye-opener. When Americans obtain employment or enroll in school, they are required to show documents such as a Social Security card and a birth certificate. Most illegal immigrants don't have these documents. So how are they getting into schools? How are they obtaining employment? If illegal immigrants were not hired to work in this country and denied school attendance for their children, they would not stay here. Save America: fire an illegal today.

WHY MUST THE paper print false headlines about the Arizona immigration law? "Profiling, constitutionality raise concerns." There is no profiling in that law, and the law is completely constitutional. Thank goodness at least 68 percent of Georgians can see through the Obama lies about illegal immigration.68% of American's don't know the definition of details.

THE HARRISBURG activists have never advocated emulating any ordinance from Athens, Ga., as a model for a nuisance ordinance in Augusta. Instead, Lori Davis has pointing to an ordinance in Toccoa, Ga., that is tough and effective. Scores of communities across the country have these ordinances, many for well over 20 years. If they were unconstitutional I certainly doubt they would have been around for this long.Are you a lawyer? Din't tink so.

I, TOO, AM SICK of political phone calls. The solution is to let them start talking, park the phone where you are working and go about your business. When you hear buzzing sound or the operator coming on, pick it up and hang it up. Some of these computer-generated calls will continue to call you if you hang up before they are finished. yawn

THE BEST WAY to avoid the horrible inconvenience of being called by a political candidate is to move to a country where you're not allowed to vote. Bravo.

I'VE BEEN READING Eugene Robinson's editorials as part of my summer reading program. I just don't know whether to record them under fiction or fallacy. Reading is fundamental.

AS A TEACHER, I am deeply troubled that neither Karen Handel nor John Oxendine, the two Republican frontrunners for governor, values education in Georgia enough to respond to questionnaires submitted by the Professional Association of Educators. As a parent, I am deeply troubled at the political activism of the teacher's groups.

THIS IS A RANT for the Imperial Theatre's sound system. I was at a show recently sitting in the mezzanine, and the sound is terrible. It's OK in the orchestra section, but anything upstairs is awful. It is not loud enough and is muffled. Huh? What? Can't hear you, it's too loud in front.

WHY ARE MALE athletes pictured with a frown or stern look and the female athletes are always smiling? Jacques Strappe.

AN EDITORIAL tells us that the federal government will spend at least $1 million on Laney High School. To blow so much on just one school is beyond absurd. Especially in the war zone known as Richmond County. Unless of course, the mil is spent on kevlar and ammo for teachers.

Have a blessed Tuesday, I'm growing cabbage,
Doc

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 07/20/10 - 07:36 am
G'morn T

G'morn T

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/20/10 - 08:04 am
AS A TEACHER, I am deeply

As a parent, I am deeply troubled at the political activism of the teacher's groups. I agree, but add Religious Organizations, when they get involved in politics they should lose their tax exempt status!@

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/20/10 - 08:05 am
Good Morning Aye, Troy and T

Good Morning Aye, Troy and T as well as all the rest of the peeps, posers and pervs!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/20/10 - 08:17 am
Good Morning America, Friends

Good Morning America, Friends and Foes.

I voted!

Isn't a great feeling the wake up every morning knowing that we live in a country that has no RACISM, honest Democrats & Republicans.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/20/10 - 08:17 am
RK due home this weekend,

RK due home this weekend, CBBP. So if you need a special creature for the cafe menu, better tell him what to swerve at for the next few days. G'mornin to ya, brother.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/20/10 - 08:20 am
As a true patriot, I going to

As a true patriot, I going to vote again in a few hours.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/20/10 - 08:20 am
Ok ...Now tell the truth, how

Ok ...Now tell the truth, how many of you were impressed with Alvin Greene's first political speech??........all of you I bet! Gosh what a speaker ....my,,, a standing ovation after his speech!! I don't know who is behind this guy BUT somebody must be having TONS of fun right now!
Then again.....I guess he is as good as it gets nowdays.
Good am Augusta.....vote-vote-vote & STOP robo calls.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/20/10 - 08:28 am
"AS A TEACHER, I am deeply

"AS A TEACHER, I am deeply troubled that neither Karen Handel nor John Oxendine, the two Republican frontrunners for governor, ..............". Actually, I am glad to hear that they did not respond. Maybe they have realized that these teacher organizations, unions, and the word "education" are no longer sacrosanct and that teachers are just like any other trade union looking to get more taxpayer money pumped into their salaries and benefits. I am sure your questions were wordsmithed in such a manner as to force them to say we need to pump $millions more into the state education system for teachers salaries and benefits in order to "educate our children" or to commit political suicide by sounding like they do not care about our children's education. The fact is that we all care about our children's education but we already spend plenty of money to have a good education system and we are not getting the results that we are paying for. We need reform in our education system allright but it needs to start with eliminating non-performing teachers and administrators and giving some of those well paying, high benefit, jobs to new teachers who will do the job. Based on the latest RC AYP numbers I think most of our teachers have gone ROAD (Retired On Active Duty). Since we already spend about the same per student as the rest of the school systems in GA we obviously either have the worst teachers, superintendents, administrators, and school board in the state or the dumbest kids in the state. Got to be one or the other. As justus4 would say "U decide".

KSL
KSL 07/20/10 - 08:33 am
Cobalt, I grew up in Georgia.

Cobalt, I grew up in Georgia. Vote one time for me.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/20/10 - 08:33 am
dichotomy....could the answer

dichotomy....could the answer be "All of the above."
Did I win??? BTW.... Clayton county is failing too.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/20/10 - 08:33 am
I think that many of the

I think that many of the teachers, who choose to post their "musings" via R&R's and the readers' comments section, pretty much give a clear signal as to where at least part of the problem with today's education system exists.

KSL
KSL 07/20/10 - 08:36 am
My thoughts entirely, Seenit.

My thoughts entirely, Seenit. A seven minute speech where he endorsed SC education. I didn't hear it, just about it.

It's amazing what you can get with a Visa card.

KSL
KSL 07/20/10 - 08:39 am
I'm certain you don't care

I'm certain you don't care that I agree with you, TI, but I'm on the record as agreeing with you. True teachers are professionals, not employees. I'm certain you know what I am talking about.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/20/10 - 08:40 am
Yep ksl....look what we got

Yep ksl....look what we got in Washington DC on a mastercard! :)

KSL
KSL 07/20/10 - 08:41 am
Your analogy was better,

Your analogy was better, Seenit.

Troy Infantoy
Troy Infantoy 07/20/10 - 08:43 am
KSL - It's okay with me if

KSL - It's okay with me if you want to agree with me. ;-)

KSL
KSL 07/20/10 - 08:50 am
Of course it is. We agree on

Of course it is. We agree on most all external issues.

KSL
KSL 07/20/10 - 08:53 am
What we don't agree on is

What we don't agree on is forgiveness.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/20/10 - 08:52 am
Later this month the cameras

Later this month the cameras will be rolling in Arizona....they want to catch the police "profiling" people when stopped....it probably will be a very safe state for awhile, because you have tons of tv guys waiting for the scoop......I'm sure baiting the police will happen too. What a joke our tax $$$ will go to fight a law that most people WANT!!!!.....bbl

KSL
KSL 07/20/10 - 08:58 am
I hope to go to Arizona armed

I hope to go to Arizona armed with my driver's license. Maybe I will dig out my birth certificate and American Passport, just in case.

I'm betting Obama will be staying out of Arizona. Might be hard to keep up with which passport he needs to present. Just kidding!

But has he been there to see what's going on on their border? I know he has been to look at an oil spill. He might take a little trip to the border wearing some night vision equipment. Perhaps he and Michelle and the kids should vacation in the National Park that is off limits to other American citizens now.