Deer walks into Grovetown Walmart

An unexpected guest visited the Grovetown Walmart on Thursday afternoon.

A man carries the fawn to a wooded area outside the Walmart in Grovetown. The deer was not injured.   Special
Special

A fawn walked into the store on Steiner Way near Interstate 20 about 5 p.m., when the store was crowded, said shift manager Beth Fatolitis.

"A little baby deer ventured into our store," Fatolitis said. "It walked in like a customer."

The deer ran around the store, probably looking for a way back out, for about five minutes before being cornered by two men who gently carried it out of the store, Fatolitis said.

"It was just scared to death," Fatolitis said. "It was crying for its momma. ... Just crying the whole time."

The men carried the fawn to a wooded area next to the store, where they released it. The deer was not injured and ran off into the woods, Fatolitis said.

The fawn didn't damage anything, and no one was injured.

The deer's escapade provided some excitement to an otherwise humdrum Thursday afternoon.

"Customers were snapping pictures left and right," Fatolitis said. "Never a dull moment at Walmart."

emanuel kant
emanuel kant 07/16/10 - 01:52 pm
A deer mom will not accept

A deer mom will not accept the fawn again...when humans touch baby deer the mother abandons them...hunters should know this...

Pistol
Pistol 07/16/10 - 02:09 pm
Not true. A mother deer WILL

Not true. A mother deer WILL accept her fawn back when she feels there is no danger. Source www.nativeanimalrescue.org

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 07/16/10 - 02:15 pm
This sounds like the

This sounds like the beginning of a joke. "So this deer walks into a Walmart..."

KingJames
KingJames 07/16/10 - 02:23 pm
So how were they supposed to

So how were they supposed to get the deer out of the store without touching it?

Taylor B
Taylor B 07/16/10 - 02:25 pm
It should have gone to the

It should have gone to the Dollar Tree. Everything's a buck in there... *rimshot!*

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 07/16/10 - 02:41 pm
That was bad Taylor but funny

That was bad Taylor but funny

Andytortoise
Andytortoise 07/16/10 - 02:52 pm
Good one, Taylor.

Good one, Taylor.

rmajor
rmajor 07/16/10 - 03:00 pm
How funny! I live in

How funny! I live in Grovetown and go to Wal-Mart every other day I guess. Too cute!

deMOJO
deMOJO 07/16/10 - 03:13 pm
more proof of over

more proof of over development in rural areas. these animals have no where to go.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/16/10 - 03:24 pm
haha Taylor, keep em coming,

haha Taylor, keep em coming, u been crackin me up lately!! I bet that was sooo cute to see, what a beautiful little baby.

areps2
areps2 07/16/10 - 04:05 pm
If he had had to wait for a

If he had had to wait for a register to check out, he would still be there.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/16/10 - 04:08 pm
Ain't that the truth. They

Ain't that the truth. They see 20 people in every line, you see 100 employees walking around and can't no one open another register and God forbid someone needs a csm for a price or void whatever. It's sad when you get Ice cream last and its running out of the box before you even hit the register. I think Bobby Jones is the worst I've ever seen.

MyOpinion21
MyOpinion21 07/16/10 - 04:17 pm
I guess that's what

I guess that's what happens...You clear out the deer habitat to build a Wal-mart, the deer wanna go shopping!

To Takeastand...anit it the truth...Bobby Jones Walmart is really bad about that, in fact, 2 supervisors / managers stood by as a 3rd walked by all of the registers asking the other two about opening another line..Nope it wasn't done. Plus, have you looked into their meat case lately? Some of it is real bad!

sliique
sliique 07/16/10 - 04:49 pm
ALL complaintants call (1)

ALL complaintants call (1) (800) wal-mart

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/16/10 - 05:13 pm
Oh, dear.

Oh, dear.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 07/16/10 - 05:30 pm
Will we see pictures on

Will we see pictures on www.peopleofwalmart.com along with some kind of quirky comment?

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 07/16/10 - 05:48 pm
Do you blame the deer for

Do you blame the deer for walking into the Wal-Mart? It's HOT outside!

Jason Hasty
Jason Hasty 07/16/10 - 06:07 pm
I think I may have seen this

I think I may have seen this same fawn over in Ashbrooke subdivision about one week ago. It seemed to be looking for it mommy at that time as well. So cute. I hope it has been reunited with its family.

Zoe
Zoe 07/16/10 - 06:44 pm
Well, when you pave paradise

Well, when you pave paradise and put in a parking lot, this is the kind of stuff that happens!

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 07/16/10 - 06:59 pm
I can hardly type I am still

I can hardly type I am still laughing at Taylor B.

cpadgettmorris
cpadgettmorris 07/16/10 - 09:55 pm
A fawn would not wander off

A fawn would not wander off from momma to go into a store, or wander into a residential neighborhood with people. Doe's always leave their fawns lying down and hidden while they feed. It sounds like this is the same fawn that was out in Ashbrooke, and momma has probably became a road kill victim, or shot by hunters. It is miraculous that the poor little thing has servived this long without her. If anyone see's it again they should contact the Department of Fish and Game. Then they can save this little creature from certain death of highways and parking lots.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/10 - 02:31 am
sliique, thanks for the

sliique, thanks for the number, but have you ever tried to call those idiots and make a complaint? Go 5 people up the chain and you will still be talking to a complete moron. They are the most careless company I have ever see in my life with some of the the most ignorant employees, next to Mcd's of course!! It's no wonder they get sued so much.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/10 - 02:45 am
Myopinion21, oh dont I know

Myopinion21, oh dont I know it. I showed them spoiled food before, they didn't remove it they just left it for someone else to buy. I came back the next day to see, still there. I had to threaten to call the health inspector for them to get off their lazy rumps. Its not the first time those lazy women havent taken care of a health hazzard. Usually all the managers do (Mostly women) is sit around and run their mouths with their friends and act like its a bother to have to actually work. Next time I wont tell a soul there, just call the health insp.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/17/10 - 06:00 am
The flora and fawna of

The flora and fawna of Central Georgia Walmart.

Many Arrows
Many Arrows 07/17/10 - 09:46 am
Bambi was looking for the

Bambi was looking for the huge stacks of deer corn that sit around.

Many Arrows
Many Arrows 07/17/10 - 09:50 am
Quit the complaining about

Quit the complaining about Wal-mart. Only a decade ago Grovetown was a bad joke that only attracted single-wide trailers on blocks. Grovetown was no paradise for deer.

Thanks to the 3 Wal-marts, Target, and Academy Sports Columbia County has a flood of sales tax dollars to spend on government projects, instead of astronomical property taxes.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 07/17/10 - 01:38 pm
Thanks Many Arrows.

Thanks Many Arrows.

Charges for sex offender

A man convicted of sex charges in Columbia County, who then went to prison for child molestation in south Georgia is back behind bars.