17-year-old dies in McDuffie accident

THOMSON -- A 17-year-old boy was killed when the driver of a car lost control and flipped on Rousseau Creek Road in McDuffie County late Saturday. Authorities say alcohol was involved.

McDuffie County Deputy Coroner Sammy Purvis identified the victim as Lawrence Lee Harris III, who lived in the Rousseau Creek Road community near Thurmond Lake. Harris, who attended Thomson High School as a junior last year, died at the scene.

An autopsy is to be performed at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Atlanta on Monday, Purvis said.

Harris was thrown out through the windshield, according to Trooper First Class Rich Fishel of the Georgia State Patrol post in Grovetown.

The driver of the Oldsmobile Aurora, which was demolished, was identified by Fishel as Phillip Bonner, 22, of the 300 block of Pierce Avenue in Thomson. Bonner, a graduate of Thomson High School, where he played football and baseball, had a cut to the head and other injuries. He was treated at the scene and later taken by ambulance to Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Fishel said Bonner was rounding a curve on Rousseau Creek Road shortly before 11 p.m. when he lost control of the car. He is facing criminal charges, Fishel said.

The fatality was the fourth in less than a month on McDuffie County roads.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/11/10 - 05:26 pm
Wow, trying to figure out how

happychimer
happychimer 07/11/10 - 05:51 pm
Another one ejected. If he

Another one ejected. If he had buckled up, he would have had a chance to live.

gibzgirl
gibzgirl 07/11/10 - 05:53 pm
Wow that is horribly written.

Wow that is horribly written. Ok.....A 17-year-old boy was killed when the driver of a car lost control......Harris, a passenger, was thrown out of the car through the windshield.....The driver of an Oldsmobile Aurora, which was demolished in the crash, was identified by Trooper Fishel as Phillip Bonner.......Fishel said Bonner was rounding a curve on Rousseau Creek Road shortly before 11 p.m. when he lost control of the car.

All that tells me that it was a one car crash, that Mr. Bonner was driving an Oldsmobile, lost control, Mr. Harris was thrown through the windshield...
Took some deciphering thou..... Where do you hire these people, and don't you have an editor, AC? You shouldn't have to re-read an article 2-3 times to figure out minor things.. My 14 yr old can write a story better than this!!

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Harris family..

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 07/11/10 - 05:56 pm
"Wow, trying to figure out

"Wow, trying to figure out how this accident went down and who was in which car, is really hard the way it is written. Help!" How is it hard when the story says that the driver lost control of A car, meaning ONE car and the passenger was thrown through the windshield. ONE car, not hard to understand - what IS hard to understand is why he wasn't wearing his seat belt.

gibzgirl
gibzgirl 07/11/10 - 05:56 pm
Ok correction, it was

Ok correction, it was apparently in the McDuffie Mirror first.... I guess they need better writers/editing. But AC could have cleaned it up so that it isn't so confusing to read.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/11/10 - 06:29 pm
WOW, I must have above

WOW, I must have above average intelligence for the area. I understood it the first time I read it. Please people, don't drink and drive and wear your seat belts. HC is correct, at least he would have stood a chance of living.

Jillian
Jillian 07/11/10 - 07:07 pm
I get soooooo TIRED of

I get soooooo TIRED of reading about these types of needless, stupid wastes of human life. Alcohol related deaths ARE NOT ACCIDENTS. It's stupid choices people willingly make. Getting behind the wheel of a car and drinking alcohol do not mix. How come we cannot make people understand that???? 2 young men with lives totally destroyed....for what?? A few drinks and refusing to buckle up.

What will it take to learn both of these are a total waste of life???

Mudfish
Mudfish 07/11/10 - 10:33 pm
Jillian, where, in the

Jillian, where, in the article, does it say anything about the auto wreck being alcohol related?
I missed it somewhere, I guess.

db16
db16 07/11/10 - 10:49 pm
@ Mudfish...last sentence in

@ Mudfish...last sentence in the 1st paragraph...re-read it. It is truly tragic the amount of underage fatalities that are linked to drugs and alcohol!

hsw145
hsw145 07/12/10 - 12:35 am
Oh and if you are soooooo

Oh and if you are soooooo TIRED of reading about these types of needless, stupid wastes of human life, don't read it. It is that simple.

hsw145
hsw145 07/12/10 - 12:39 am
"Another one ejected. If he

"Another one ejected. If he had buckled up, he would have had a chance to live."

Actually, my cousin got into a wreck over a year ago. He was thrown out of the vehicle and is paralyzed from the waist down. If he would have had on his seatbelt he would have lost his life. Seatbelts aren't always life savers.

People really shouldn't leave comments on here if they don't have anything nice to say. I have never been so offended by people and their stupidity and rudeness.

bdh91
bdh91 07/12/10 - 12:41 am
Ok... to those of you who are

Ok... to those of you who are being rude and inconsiderate, you really should think about what you are putting on here. I dont know who you are and I really dont care. All i know is you are bad talking a person you dont even know. Lee was an incredible person who had many friends. We all loved him and looked forward to seeing him everyday. Now all we have left are the memories. You people are bashing his name and his memory. Lee was NOT a waste of life. The person who said that is a very rude person. I bet you didnt think about all of his family and friends that are going to see that. You have no respect for the people who are mourning his death. GROW SOME RESPECT! You owe a lot of people a HUGE apology.

hvg94
hvg94 07/12/10 - 01:05 am
We love you and miss you,

We love you and miss you, Lee! You were an amazing friend!

getalife
getalife 07/12/10 - 06:32 am
May God be with both

May God be with both families. I understood the entire article the first time I read it. Alcohol has destroyed many families and young people.

vermint
vermint 07/12/10 - 01:27 pm
bdh91, I'm so sorry for your

bdh91, I'm so sorry for your loss. I think the comment meant that drinking and not buckling up waste lives, not that this young man was a waste of life. Yes, you loved him, but he DID make a bad decision and it cost him his life...which is sad and tragic.

RW09
RW09 07/12/10 - 02:59 pm
listen Jillian... you do not

listen Jillian... you do not need to down talk my cousin. he was a good person and if you don't know the person then don't bash their name and talk bad about him. how would you like it if it was your family? Just because he was not wearing his seatbelt doesn't mean he is a waste of human life.. anyone could die in a car accident for not wearing a seatbelt.. if you can't say anything nice you shouldn't say anything at all. And another thing I think you owe all my family and including my aunt and uncle of Lawrance Lee Harris III an apology. THANKS

jamie8706
jamie8706 07/12/10 - 08:17 pm
Wait I don't really

Wait I don't really understand the article so who got thrown through the windshield? But the prayers go out to the family though.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...