Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

I'd like to weigh in on this kickboxing type of fighting. It looks like enough people were getting brain damage and being killed in the ring with the fighters hitting each other with their fists. Now they using limbs that are much stronger than the arms to kick each other in the head. There's a thin line between being tough and macho and being a fool. Any sport that doesn't take into account the limitations of the human body should be illegal. There's a limit to how hard a lick a man's head can take without him suffering brain damage or death.

To the person complaining about Abilene Baptist's patriotic presentation: I am a Korean War veteran, and I think it was the best I ever saw. You were not there to be amused. If the only reason you were there was to be amused, you should have stayed home. Some folks are never satisfied. Great job, Abilene.

I know any job is better than none at all, but Augusta is going to have to do better than attracting only $8.50 per hour call center jobs. It seems like that is all we get around here. We need high-paying manufacturing and professional jobs. And it says a lot about Augusta's economy when the only jobs we can attract are ones that typically go to Third World countries.

This is a rant to all the parents who allow their children to go to another child's home to play but never reciprocate the invitation. It's not fair to any of the children involved - especially the one who invited your child to play. That child wants to be invited to your house just as your child likes to be invited over. If you're not going to reciprocate the invitation, keep your child at home so that the other child involved doesn't get his/her feelings hurt.

A rant for the city commissioners. Because of their gross mismanagement of tax dollars, underpaid city workers will be furloughed for four days. Can someone tell me what the commissioners are giving up? I'll bet it's not gas or Masters tickets.

Tell us what you think
countyman
19068
countyman 07/09/10 - 02:22 am
ERS has entry level,

ERS has entry level, supervisor, and management jobs. Some of those management jobs pay $100k or more. The ranter needs to do some research on Augusta.

Attracting high-paying professional jobs??? 1,200 ADP, 70 ESI, 35-40 Wells Fargo/Wachovia, and 20-30 Global Emergency Resource jobs...

Attracting high-paying manufacturing jobs??? 150 Procter and Gamble... Bottle Tek is building a $100 million facility in South Augusta(100 jobs)..

Augusta's economy??? The MSA unemployment rate is 8.6% compared to the national 9.7% and state 10.2% rates as of April..

Augusta has the 7th best economy in the nation.

countyman
19068
countyman 07/09/10 - 02:14 am
New hotels coming to

New hotels coming to Augusta....

West Augusta....
1.Masters hotel on washington road. Est value- $5 to $25 million. Scale- Upscale

2. Four Points By Sheraton behind Zaxby's(near center west pkwy) on washington road. Est value- $10 million.... Scale- Luxury

Downtown
1. Hyatt Place. Est vaule- $25 million... Scale Mid-Range

2.Holiday Inn and Suites(Renovation of the old Regency Inn) Est Value- $5 million... Scale-Economy

Gordon Hwy near Downtown
1. Renovation of the Riverside Inn(franchise not yet determined)... Estimated Value- $1 to $5 million... Scale-Not yet to be determined.

South Augusta
1. Hampton Inn on Gordon Hwy Est Value- $5 to $25 million. Scale-Economy

Btw Martinez and Grovetown
1. Sleep Inn on Jimmie Dyess pkwy. Est Value-$7.3 million. Scale-Economy

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/09/10 - 04:35 am
Good Morning America, Friends

Good Morning America, Friends and Foes.

Man Oh man Sean, If it isn't shawdOw_man it's countyman! Don't you think this is getting to be a little ridiculous?

CarlosC
CarlosC 07/09/10 - 04:58 am
If Sean doesn't, I certainly

If Sean doesn't, I certainly do.

Trouble
Trouble 07/09/10 - 05:40 am
morning all

morning all

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 07/09/10 - 06:20 am
Let 'em fight. They know the

Let 'em fight. They know the risks.

What ticked folks off was being deceived in a church...about the Bush impersonator.

Augusta is a third world mentality for those low paying jobs...now if we could attract someone who knows how to run a BOE, a city, and if we could just attract businesses that offer good pay w/o costing the taxpayer to move here.

Sounds like one parent is tired of babysitting their friend's kid(s).

Underpaid city workers? Thanks for the morning laugh.

Wow ACES, short staffed for the weekend shift again? It's Fried-pie Day...so get out your water guns and fire away, but watch out for the shift from Gemini to Leo moon...don't take yourself so seriously.

RK I got your note about the forest you've been growing...I'll be calling ya this afternoon or evening. I gotta a couple of things left to tighten this morning but I should be available tomorrow morning to take care of it. We'll talk later.

George haven't heard from ya. Is the pond needin' to be beautified? I'll get that hedge this time when I come. Call me.

That's all I got. Be cool, stay wet, and keep to the shady side of the street today. And if I hear about one more idiot leaving kids/pets in cars in this heat I think I'm gonna go ballistic.
G'day.

Zoe
Zoe 07/09/10 - 06:22 am
Morning youz guyz

Morning youz guyz

CarlosC
CarlosC 07/09/10 - 06:23 am
On this date in 1868,

On this date in 1868, ratification of 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which guaranteed African-Americans full citizenship and all people in the United States due process under the law.

How is that working out for everybody?

Zoe
Zoe 07/09/10 - 06:23 am
I think it's time to hit the

I think it's time to hit the report button Carlos and Cobalt....

hee hee

Jus jokin'

I'll let
T do it..lol

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 07/09/10 - 06:24 am
Carlos I see you were on the

Carlos I see you were on the porch early this mornin'...watching the moon set? Just kiddin'. I'm being ignored I think so what's it matter what I say...$#*&<>?....

Zoe
Zoe 07/09/10 - 06:24 am
Hi Zeno. I'll be staying put

Hi Zeno. I'll be staying put for the mean time.

I'll let you know of any changes :)

Zoe
Zoe 07/09/10 - 06:25 am
No Z, Carlos was howlin' at

No Z, Carlos was howlin' at it. The moon.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 07/09/10 - 06:26 am
Mornin Zoe...never got that

Mornin Zoe...never got that call...just wonderin'.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 07/09/10 - 06:27 am
Glad I am staying busy...got

Glad I am staying busy...got more work right now coming in like a flood..this ole pard is workin' the crowd. Just let me know in advance Zoe.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 07/09/10 - 06:29 am
Alrighty then...gotta get

Alrighty then...gotta get loaded and headed out...TTYL. Thanks for hollerin' back Zoe. Keeps my appointment book up to date. Lay-tah.

CarlosC
CarlosC 07/09/10 - 06:29 am
The night is my

The night is my friend....

G'mornin ya luvable lunatics

Emerydan
Emerydan 07/09/10 - 06:54 am
Rant #3: about jobs that

Rant #3: about jobs that typically go to Third World countries... Have you driven around many parts of Augusta? We're not that far off the mark.

dreamchaser
dreamchaser 07/09/10 - 07:00 am
Emery, your are right

Emery, your are right there!!!!! Some parts of Augusta look just about as bad as the Cairo gargbage dump or the city of the dead!

corgimom
corgimom 07/09/10 - 07:08 am
I didn't write rant #3. But I

I didn't write rant #3. But I agree with it.

bettyboop
bettyboop 07/09/10 - 07:47 am
A Fine and ferocious

A Fine and ferocious Friday........remember when kids just went to each other's houses and played? No "play date" nonsense .....I do not recall ever setting up times to play (except for overnight).

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/09/10 - 07:48 am
A joke history for today: For

A joke history for today:

For those who don't know about history ... Here is a condensed version:

Humans originally existed as members of small bands of nomadic hunters/gatherers. They lived on deer in the mountains during the summer and would go to the coast and live on fish and lobster in the winter.

The two most important events in all of history were the invention of beer and the invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the beer. These were the foundation of modern civilization and together were the catalyst for the splitting of humanity into two distinct subgroups:

1 . Liberals
2. Conservatives.

Once beer was discovered, it required grain and that was the beginning of agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so while our early humans were sitting around waiting for them to be invented, they just stayed close to the brewery. That's how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking and killing animals to BBQ at night while they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as the Conservative movement...

Other men who were weaker and less skilled at hunting learned to live off the conservatives by showing up for the nightly BBQ's and doing the sewing, fetching, and making art. This was the beginning of the Liberal movement.

Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women. They became known as girlie-men. Some noteworthy liberal achievements include the domestication of cats, the invention of group therapy, group hugs, and the concept of Democratic voting to decide how to divide the meat and beer that conservatives provided.

Over the years conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most powerful land animal on earth, the elephant. Liberals are symbolized by the jackass for obvious reasons.

Modern liberals like imported beer (with lime added), but most prefer white wine or imported bottled water. They eat raw fish but like their beef well done. Sushi, tofu, and French food are standard liberal fare..
Another interesting evolutionary side note: most of their women have higher testosterone levels than their men. Most social workers, personal injury attorneys, journalists, dreamers in Hollywood and group therapists are liberals. Liberals invented the designated hitter rule because it wasn't fair to make the pitcher also bat.

Conservatives drink domestic beer, mostly Bud or Miller. They eat red meat and still provide for their women. Conservatives are big game hunters, rodeo cowboys, lumberjacks, construction workers, firemen, medical doctors, police officers, engineers, corporate executives, athletes, members of the military, airline pilots and generally anyone who works productively. Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work for a living.

Liberals produce little or nothing. They like to govern the producers and decide what to do with the production. Liberals believe Europeans are more enlightened than Americans. That is why most of the liberals remained in Europe when conservatives were coming to America . They crept in after the Wild West was tamed and created a business of trying to get more for nothing.

Here ends today's lesson in world history:

It should be noted that a Liberal may have a momentary urge to angrily respond to the above.

A Conservative will simply laugh and be so convinced of the absolute truth of this history.

And there you have it. Let your next action reveal your true self.....I'm going to have another beer!!!

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 07/09/10 - 07:50 am
Augusta has a plethora of

Augusta has a plethora of individuals that 1) dont qualify for management positions 2) dont want to 'work' at work 3) are perfectly happy sitting on the phone all day and getting paid for it. The positive sign is that they are jobs.

bettyboop
bettyboop 07/09/10 - 07:58 am
LOL...CG...very good !!

LOL...CG...very good !!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/10 - 08:38 am
Kick-boxing...I'll pass on

Kick-boxing...I'll pass on that
Imposter at church....folks were fooled...some thought he was the real deal
Job paying low-wages......just get a dim job & go from there..
Children's playdate??.......Like BB said , we never had a playdate, we just played.
Tax $$$ wasted......all the time & esp. in Washinton DC
CG...this sharpei doesn't have go-nads, it's a she!!!
LOL Good am CSRA.......keep um coming cg.

myparrot
myparrot 07/09/10 - 08:39 am
You may scoff at city workers

You may scoff at city workers being under paid but mainly those in management positions make good money. But we do have a job with some benefits while the insurance basically is some of the worse I have ever had it is better than none at all. We work for 8,50 an hour too. Some people here have not had raises in 3 years but they offer the big wigs these huge salaries while many are living pay check to paycheck. In December both checks will be missing one day of pay so that will affect many of the employees right at the holidays. I bet none of the commissioners will have any issues with have a nice Christmas dinner. I don’t know why you would think all city employees get paid so great! Those who have been here for a long time make more because of longevity but other than that we make basically what most jobs make. So four days will hurt.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 07/09/10 - 08:44 am
Kickboxers licking each

Kickboxers licking each other? What's next?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/09/10 - 08:45 am
Darn it B4, there has been

Darn it B4, there has been times in my life when I thought there were no ga-nads and found there was. This is a first time when I thought there was and there ain"t!

Labatt
Labatt 07/09/10 - 09:15 am
"It's not fair to any of the

"It's not fair to any of the children".. "child involved doesn't get his/her feelings hurt". Kids are meant to have their feelings hurt. So tired of the poor Johnny crap. Big part of the problem today.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/09/10 - 09:18 am
We really don't want to know

We really don't want to know about the times you actually thought there were none and found them!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 07/09/10 - 09:28 am
What's up with these people

What's up with these people in Oakland, CA? Using a verdict they didn't like to break into stores and steal stuff? Do they think that because a jury returned a verdict they didn't like they can just take things for themselves? Sounds like an excuse to me and a bad legacy for the person they feel didn't get justice.