Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I can somewhat understand young people getting tattooed to impress their own, but I will never understand why adult women mar their bodies with this primitive practice. Please, no more pictures of ignorant people desecrating themselves with tattoos. From a former merchant seaman that never wanted a tattoo.

I actually moved from Harrisburg to Meadowbrook Drive in the 1970s. Back then, this was a wonderful area where it was safe for kids to play. Now the gangs have taken over, and it is as bad as if not worse than Harrisburg. At least the people in Harrisburg are proactive and have a strong neighborhood association. We really don't have anything like that in the Meadowbrook area.

Kudos to Joe Traina, who is trying to "curb gang activity and poverty." But the "poverty" angle doesn't wash. Poverty does not create gangs.

Another Rant to the person talking about "crying teachers": Amen to the teacher who mentioned the central office staffing and administrative waste, but I'd like to add that the money spent on gyms and other facilities would certainly help some teachers get the raises they have earned.

The tide is finally turning. He spoke for 20 minutes, and even the talking heads on CNN recognized that he didn't say anything of substance. Hang on, America, the elections are coming!

To parents of babies in church: It is not cute when you allow your child to disrupt church services. It is disrespectful to everyone else who is there to worship, disrespectful to the ones trying to lead the service and mostly disrespectful to God. All churches have nurseries and other rooms to take children who cannot be quiet. It they're an infant, please use the nursery. You need to be worshiping yourself. I have children, and never would I allow them to totally disrupt, no matter where I am.

It is evident that the leaders in Augusta care nothing about south Augusta when they allow the owners of the old Regency Mall property to let this eyesore continue to drag down this section of town. It is a disgrace to south Augusta and the city of Augusta.

I have a question for the administration at Blythe City Hall. When are you going to leave the police department alone and let them do their job?

Tell us what you think
Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/18/10 - 08:39 am
Thanks, Sean. Repost from

Thanks, Sean.

Repost from earlier:

Trey Enfantay
Friday, Jun. 18 4:20 AM

Well, it seems the AC has "forgotten" to include the R&R's for Friday, so I'll just use this space.

"Equal opportunity means everyone will have a fair chance at being incompetent."
- Laurence J. Peter

w00t!

Happy Friday!

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/18/10 - 08:40 am
I think God understands that

I think God understands that children cry....otherwise He wouldn't have created them that way.

willienelson
willienelson 06/18/10 - 08:45 am
The same could be said of fat

The same could be said of fat wimmens and spandex

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 06/18/10 - 08:45 am
"Amen to the teacher who

"Amen to the teacher who mentioned the central office staffing and administrative waste"

Columbia county could cut some much needed cost if they turned OFF all the lights at the central office on Hereford Farm Rd. Drive by at night and look at all the money shining out the window! Come on Mr. Nagel have your employees turn off the lights!! How hard is that?

willienelson
willienelson 06/18/10 - 08:45 am
They too understand that

They too understand that children cry and make them

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 06/18/10 - 09:00 am
Trey, Someone forgot to put

Trey, Someone forgot to put the R&R online. We'll fix the link soon. Thanks for letting us know.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/18/10 - 09:05 am

Thank goodness they brought the r&r back online today...we know "some" would be lost without them.
My sister lived on Meadowbrook in the 70's...it was a great street & safe for families....why is it the good people of that area can't take their neighborood back? Ride around on golf-carts with information of neighbors cars-place of work-telephone #s & call when you see something suspicious..not easy, I know, but some areas use this tactic & it helps to curb gang activity..fiesty old people can be dangerous w/thugs. Keep callig 911, that's what brings in more officers on duty in the area.

Trouble
Trouble 06/18/10 - 09:08 am
morning all

morning all

willienelson
willienelson 06/18/10 - 09:15 am
Morning, beautiful

Morning, beautiful

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/18/10 - 09:18 am
Okay, I ordered some "Laptop

Okay, I ordered some "Laptop Cooling Pads" and according to the UPS tracking, they are on the local truck to be dropped off here this morning. Now I need some help....

Who is brave enough to make Trouble wear one on da porch?

willienelson
willienelson 06/18/10 - 09:20 am
lol...she may need 2. 1 lap

lol...she may need 2. 1 lap top, 1 butt bottom

willienelson
willienelson 06/18/10 - 09:21 am
Either way a gas mask, 3

Either way a gas mask, 3 grown men and goggles may be required for application

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/18/10 - 09:22 am
Sean, my pleasure. Thank you

Sean, my pleasure. Thank you for taking care of it.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/18/10 - 09:47 am
A Rant for those drug-store

A Rant for those drug-store hair perm kits. Watch the timer carefully or you'll end up looking like Chico Marx!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/18/10 - 09:52 am
Good Morning America, Friends

Good Morning America, Friends and Foes.

Listening to the news every morning, reading the newspaper and seeing all the good opinions on here, really makes you proud to be an American.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/18/10 - 09:58 am
Whatever amount the leaders

Whatever amount the leaders care about south Augusta, they care even less about south Richmond County. The only time they think about us is when it's time to raise our property's taxable value or garbage collection rates. The property tax valuation system is totally bogus and horribly stacked against the property owner. In good years they raise your values based on sales comparisons. In bad years they raise your values based on rebuild costs. And in really bad years they claim to raise your values based on some heretofore unknown "devaluation" chart. In other words, they can raise your property values no matter what the reality of the market value of your property. And if none of this bogus crap works out for them, then the commissioners just raise the millage rate and get more taxes anyway. Property tax laws need to be changed. There needs to be ONE standard way of valuing property and it needs to be applied county wide each and every time property values are re-evaluated. No more of this ""well we dusted off this piece of paper in the corner and it looks like your neighbored values need to be raised" which is the answer I just got from the tax assessor's office. Now my property values have changed significantly every year for the past 4 years but all of a sudden they act like nobody has looked at the values out here for years. And the property owner has no recourse unless they are affluent enough to hire an attorney to fight it. The appeal board is a joke. They let you talk about 2 minutes and then rubber stamp the increase because the average citizen does not have access to the information or the knowledge to properly justify the appeal. The laws need to be changed. Property owners have no built in protection in the system and are at the mercy of an office full of people we don't elect who get told by their superiors, "we need to raise revenues so pick some neighborhoods and raise their values".

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/18/10 - 10:05 am
Go man Go, dichotomy, U da

Go man Go, dichotomy, U da man. I have never seen you post without Facts and common sense. I don't think I have ever seen you use name calling either.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/18/10 - 10:08 am
Or threatening to shoot

Or threatening to shoot anybody either for that matter....

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/18/10 - 10:13 am
Some people just ask for a

Some people just ask for a butt-kicking & of course we will always have some to oblige their request. :o)

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/18/10 - 10:14 am
There is that infamous "we"

There is that infamous "we" again.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/18/10 - 10:18 am
"No Man is an Island"

"No Man is an Island"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/18/10 - 10:20 am
Isn't "we" a word in the

Isn't "we" a word in the Bingo game?

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/18/10 - 10:31 am
dichotomy... yours is

dichotomy... yours is probably one of the best posts I have seen on here in quite some time. 100% on the mark.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/18/10 - 10:32 am
We-we-we-we all the way

We-we-we-we all the way home.....I'm sorry guys what were ya'll saying here...I have been distracted somewhat by reader54...what a great mind he has. It is so refreshing to see on here. Some have it all...mind-good sense of humor-kind to their fellow man & on & on & on... well anyway gotta go now .....don't miss me!

Trouble
Trouble 06/18/10 - 11:45 am
cg, if it is, it better be

cg, if it is, it better be the center square, that one is waaaay to easy

countyman
20120
countyman 06/18/10 - 11:25 am
2010 Best Cities For

2010 Best Cities For Families: 10 Healthiest Cities

They rank the spots that are healthiest for families, based on criteria like area hospitals, local pediatricians and air quality.

Augusta is #9

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/18/10 - 11:30 am
Voters are more critical than

Voters are more critical than ever of President Obama's handling of the ongoing Gulf oil spill despite his Oval Office address to the nation Tuesday night laying out what the government has done and intends to do in response. In fact, they're nearly as critical of the president now as they are of BP and Transocean, the two companies responsible for the leak to begin with.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely Voters - taken Tuesday and Wednesday nights - finds that 46% of U.S. Voters now give the president a poor rating for his handling of the Gulf situation, the highest level of disapproval yet. That's 12 points higher than two weeks ago and 20 points worse than at the beginning of last month.

For the complete breakdown of the numbers:

usafvet
usafvet 06/18/10 - 11:50 am
Countyman, I envy you for

Countyman, I envy you for your tenacity and determination. However, I think that if you are to succeed in making the image of Augusta as rosy as you present, you must first find ways to stop the reports on crime, the numbers on government "gimmes", the shenanigans in our school system, the ineptness of our commissioners, and the cost of all this to the taxpayers of "GREATER AUGUSTA".

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/18/10 - 11:52 am
usafvet - I think he is just

usafvet - I think he is just padding his resume. I'm actually very surprised the Obama administration hasn't snatched him up already for an advisor position.

usafvet
usafvet 06/18/10 - 11:56 am
CG, I don't think you or I

CG, I don't think you or I can keep up with the rules of "bingo". I think it originated from a person with a superiority complex. That type of person creates a game, makes the rules, then changes them as needed to make himself/herself appear as the smartest kid on the block.

Clemson halts mandatory student sex survey

CLEMSON, S.C. - Clemson says it has suspended a mandatory survey of students the school says was part of a review to prevent sexual discrimination, harassment and assault.