Klansmen surprise crowds in Edgefield

EDGEFIELD, S.C. -- Jessica Harrison said she'd never seen anything like it. On Thursday afternoon, costumed Klansmen were passing out flyers on the town square.

Klan members passed out fliers on Edgefield square on Thursday.  Morris News Service
Morris News Service
Klan members passed out fliers on Edgefield square on Thursday.

Harrison and scores of others looked on as robed members of the Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan appeared unexpectedly in downtown Edgefield passing out flyers for a rally the group planned for the location from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.  Saturday.

“I was shocked,” Harrison said. “I got a phone call ... and went to the door (of the Edgefield County Public Library) and they were there. I’d never even seen (a Klan member) before. I wanted to go over and say something, but I held it in. I asked the police about it and I understand that they can (be in public).”

Harrison, who is black, said she received some mixed messages from members.

“They just said they weren’t racist and that some of them have mixed babies,” she said. “That shocked me with them being up there (handing out flyers) with the burning cross.”

Edgefield Police Chief Ronnie Carter said the group had informed him of both their intentions to be on the square Thursday and of the planned rally on Saturday. A uniformed officer was present, but no disturbance was reported. Some business owners called Town Hall to express their displeasure with the presence of the group.

A man who identified himself as the Grand Dragon of the South Carolina Chapter of the Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan quickly dispersed his group and had them remove their robes and flags after a crowd of passersby began to gather.

He said that while he was from South Carolina, the other members had traveled to the area from Tennessee.

Harrison said she actually might attend the group's Saturday rally, which falls on the same day as the popular Ridge Peach Festival in Trenton.

"I might be up here ...,” she said. “I really might be, just to see what happens.”

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/17/10 - 02:42 pm
Oh well.. South Carolina has

Oh well.. South Carolina has to live up to its image I suppose.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/17/10 - 02:53 pm
I assure you, this peaceful

I assure you, this peaceful and lawful expression of rights went much more smoothly than the prissy parade will this weekend.

curly123053
curly123053 06/17/10 - 03:01 pm
I would not give them the

I would not give them the benefit of a single person wnatching them.

OnlyinAgs
OnlyinAgs 06/17/10 - 03:12 pm
I wonder if Rep Knotts going

I wonder if Rep Knotts going to be there he fits the LOOK, however his BUILD (body wise) is nassy looking.

happychimer
happychimer 06/17/10 - 03:15 pm
I saw KKK members one time

I saw KKK members one time back in 1965, and that was enough for me.I want no part of their hateful selves.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/17/10 - 03:16 pm
..."some of them have mixed

..."some of them have mixed babies."? I don't see a mention of the sex of the person who told this lady this. Is it a white man or a white woman with a mixed child? This is very important in that it might show the heart of the person who said it.

OnlyinAgs
OnlyinAgs 06/17/10 - 03:18 pm
LOL he ask them to take their

LOL he ask them to take their robes off the KKK must be evolving, or it was to HOT.

OnlyinAgs
OnlyinAgs 06/17/10 - 03:20 pm
Oh I don't believe one of

Oh I don't believe one of those KKK members told her they have mixed babies LOL.. if they are mixed it's with KKK blood, Nazi Blood, Aryan Nation Blood and Obama haterade blood. What a combination.

AutumnLeaves
11952
AutumnLeaves 06/17/10 - 03:30 pm
I'll be laughing when they

I'll be laughing when they find out EVERYONE is mixed blood. Go ahead, get your DNA checked. I cannot believe there is still this much ignorance, racism, prejudice by every so-called "race" to this day. When will we ever learn we are ALL made in God's image, that means everyone of every race. Let them have their opinions under freedom of speech, but just make sure they don't do anything illegal.

reader54
reader54 06/17/10 - 03:47 pm
Everybody has an opinion and

Everybody has an opinion and every organization has an image. Let them express theirs as you do yours every day. As long as nobody breaks any laws, they have the right to assemble and the right to free speach. If you don't like the message, don't listen. What's the big deal?

oldenoughtoknowbetter
oldenoughtoknowbetter 06/17/10 - 04:01 pm
Classic example of the right

Classic example of the right to free speech given to us under the Constituion of the United States. What's the big deal? Did they do anything unlawful?

justus4
justus4 06/17/10 - 04:06 pm
Oh, oh. This gathering should

Oh, oh. This gathering should result in charges like Inciting racial hatred, or public gathering without proper permits, or disturbing the peace, but don't hold your breath. The fact that NO charges will result demonstrates a cozy relationship that has existed historically and still exist today, not only in that town, but throughout the deep south. This bunch is just willing to show (part) of their faces. Nothing new here...

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 06/17/10 - 04:08 pm
Trey, You have a really

Trey, You have a really messed up view of the world.

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/17/10 - 04:09 pm
oldenuf.. you are right, in

oldenuf.. you are right, in America people have every right to make themselves look like ignorant idiots.

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/17/10 - 04:11 pm
ohhsweetconcord.. refer to my

ohhsweetconcord.. refer to my previous comment for my thoughts on trey's posts.

KatieLou
KatieLou 06/17/10 - 04:22 pm
Boy, I bet that was a very

Boy, I bet that was a very big surprise, even a shock.

I wish I had seen it --mainly to have had the experience of seeing it first hand once in my life. It really is hard to believe that people still belong to that organization, but then, I think I have lived a rather sheltered life among mostly reasonable people. Then again, I also find it hard to fathom how anyone with half a brain could ever have swallowed the teachings of Wallace Muhammad, and I lived across the street from him once upon a time. Safest neighborhood I ever lived in.

burninater
burninater 06/17/10 - 04:29 pm
hmmm, it DID deem like a few

hmmm, it DID deem like a few regular posters were absent today, lol ...

disssman
disssman 06/17/10 - 04:51 pm
Now if we could only get rid

Now if we could only get rid of the drug dealers gathering at woodlake park every night, maybe we could get rid of a real problem. P.S I am sure that althought they gather by the childrens swings and slides, they are too big for them. BTW why aren't childrens play grounds listed in the drug free areas?

cparker
cparker 06/17/10 - 05:07 pm
Although I want to believe

Although I want to believe race relations have improved... The fact is, race matters a lot more than many are willing to admit!!

beboisme
beboisme 06/17/10 - 05:25 pm
The KKK organization is no

The KKK organization is no worse than the NAACP is today. If the gays can parade their sexual preferences in downtown Augusta then the little town of Edgfield can handle a KKK rally, where if the truth be known all the old folks still feel the same about Blacks as they did 50 years ago. They even raised their childeren to feel the same.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/17/10 - 05:32 pm
bebo - You are starting to

bebo - You are starting to grow (in a positive way) on me. Keep the posts coming!

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 06/17/10 - 05:42 pm
Grand Dragon of the South

Grand Dragon of the South Carolina Chapter of the Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan was the only one from SC? Where are the members of his 'church'? Why does he have to import members from other states to have his rallies? The last time this was done they got lost and missed the rally. LOL

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/17/10 - 05:48 pm
There is no such thing as a

There is no such thing as a Church of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, period. There is a cult of the National Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, but it will never be a Church! Churches do not advertise with skulls and cross-bones!

bettyboop
bettyboop 06/17/10 - 05:51 pm
I don't like the KKK they

I don't like the KKK they scare me..but then so does barry and his thugs...the black panthers and the aclu........I'm just saying............

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/17/10 - 06:00 pm
Any outfit that would burn a

Any outfit that would burn a Cross scares me!

Newsreader
Newsreader 06/17/10 - 06:08 pm
While I do not condone any

While I do not condone any activities or speech of this group, I will fight for their right to peacefully express their opinions and parade in their costumes. Apparently, they were within the regulation of the Town, and State, and Federal laws regarding peaceful assembly. The Police were aware of their planned appearance prior to the assembly, and we there monitoring the situation. When it appeared to be drawing more onlookers than the police felt approriate, then the "klan" dispersed. Again, I will never agree to, agree with, or take part of, any of the doctrine or practices of the "KKK" but I will defend their right to peacefully assemble and demonstrate. If you refuse any group the rights granted by the Constitution of the United States, then you diminish the Constitution itself. Even though I was born an native US Citizen, I still have sworn to protect the Constitution will do so with every effort. I recommend everyone take this approach to today's activities. However, I also strongly recommend avoiding any area that this group is holding a rally, if at all possible. When not possible to avoid, simply pass the members without even acknowledging they are present. Ignorace is bliss, so show them some back. Due unto others as you would have them due unto you. Treat the least of them as you would treat the Lord. Bless those who are in need, and pray for those who are suffering. But Vengeance should be left up to GOD.

burninater
burninater 06/17/10 - 06:05 pm
Bebo, in the words of Dolly

Bebo, in the words of Dolly Parton, the KKK has some old flames that the NAACP and the gay community couldn't hold a candle to. The South prides itself on its rich history, but it doesn't get to pick and choose which history is remembered. The people remember.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/17/10 - 06:13 pm
No one said to deny the KKK

No one said to deny the KKK their rights to peacefully assemble, granted by the Constitution of the United States, but when has there ever been a KKK assembly that was peaceful? Bless those who are in need, and pray for those who are suffering, but what does this have to do with an organization known for violence and hate? Who is doling out vengeance against whom?

crackerjack
crackerjack 06/17/10 - 06:17 pm
Hey, Wait a Minute.......

Hey, Wait a Minute....... Some of my best friends are white.

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 06/17/10 - 06:24 pm
Jeesh, a lot of you sure are

Jeesh, a lot of you sure are eager to pick up the KKK's mantle to defend. I don't think most of us here want to deny them their free speech rights (I sure don't). But I'm not jumping for joy at the opportunity of explaining the organization's merits. Yikes. The NAACP is comparable to the KKK? In what sick and twisted world did YOU group up in?

Prayer rally held outside Planned Parenthood

With the U.S. Senate scheduled to vote Monday on a bill to strip Planned Parenthood of taxpayer funding, more than 100 residents gathered Sunday for a prayer rally in front of the organization's ...