Mayor sets official Augusta Pride Day

June 19 has officially been declared Augusta Pride Day.

Mayor Deke Copenhaver granted the Augusta Pride committee a proclamation in recognition of the organization's efforts to put on the city's first gay parade and festival, Augusta Pride spokesman Chris Bannochie said.

Copenhaver presented Augusta Pride president Isaac Kelly with the proclamation June 4 after a planning meeting in the city's special events office.

Copenhaver said he presents hundreds of proclamations each year, and next Saturday's event was worthy of the honor.

"I just felt like they should be given the same consideration as other events we put on here in Augusta," he said.

In February, the mayor hesitated in giving the go ahead for the festival and parade.

After receiving legal counsel, Copenhaver decided to grant the committee the permit to hold the parade on Broad Street and a festival at Augusta Common.

Bannochie said he was not sure of attendance for next Saturday's event, but at least 10 Richmond County sheriff's deputies will patrol the area throughout the day.

Though some disagree with the event, Bannochie said he is proud Augusta will be a part of the 40-year history of pride parades.

"The fact that some may not realize this is probably the biggest issue Augusta needs to address as a community," he said.

Bannochie said the proclamation shows the mayor's support of the event.

"The proclamation is a tremendously affirming statement to all gay and transgender citizens of Augusta, as well as for their straight allies," he said.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 06/11/10 - 01:25 pm
oh well

oh well

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/10 - 01:29 pm
Very disappointed in the

Very disappointed in the mayor. I understand granting them rights to have their parade but to also give a proclamation. As a proclaimed Christian man, this is very disappointing. Deke, as a Christian we are suppose to take a stand for Christ, He doesn't like a luke-warm Christian that straddles the fence. This event is not one to be honored.

smbga
smbga 06/11/10 - 01:41 pm
WHAT A SHAME WHAT A SHAME

WHAT A SHAME WHAT A SHAME

agunn421
agunn421 06/11/10 - 01:44 pm
so does this mean its ok to

so does this mean its ok to have a straight parade?

pantone811
pantone811 06/11/10 - 01:53 pm
Oh Augusta, grow up. Just

Oh Augusta, grow up. Just because you don't agree with someone, or what they believe doesn't mean they have any less right to happiness as you. I'm proud of our mayor.

smbga
smbga 06/11/10 - 01:55 pm
it's only going to get worse

it's only going to get worse

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/10 - 01:56 pm
No one trying to stiffle

No one trying to stiffle their happiness and legally they have a right to their parade but why do they have to proclaim June 19th as Augusta Pride Day. I consider myself part of Augusta and this sure doesn't make me proud. When the KKK had their parade, no one considered declaring that day Augusta KKK Day.

55 F-100
55 F-100 06/11/10 - 01:57 pm
Just hope that no one ends up

Just hope that no one ends up "looking like a fool with their pants on the ground".

JackBootedThug
JackBootedThug 06/11/10 - 02:07 pm
I understand that Deke had to

I understand that Deke had to grant permits on legal grounds but there's no legality requiring him to honor the occasion with a proclamation. I believe God in His written word has already issued all the proclamation that we need on homosexuality.

countyman
countyman 06/11/10 - 02:13 pm
Augusta ''the growing

Augusta ''the growing progressive medium-size city'' They can't hold us back....

LCC0256
LCC0256 06/11/10 - 02:43 pm
The homosexuals have every

The homosexuals have every legal right to parade just as heterosexuals do (if in fact they named a parade for heterosexuals) ...God loves homosexuals just like he loves heterosexuals.....All born again Christians know & believe this even if we are targeted & horribly maligned by the homosexuals as being "bigots" and "homophobes" (whatever that means) Christians don't hate homosexuals we just KNOW that homosexuality is a sin according to our Bible...Just as other sins are that we commit...we do not love our sins but we do love the sinner...we dont embrace OUR sins...we repent and turn away from them...we do not glorify or honor them...

bottom line is that despite the anti-Christian rhetoric that is now becoming more and more prevalent by homosexual groups and political leaders in charge of this country Christians DO NOT HATE HOMOSEXUALS... Real born again Christians love them just like we (are commanded to and TRY TO) love one another. We feel that glorifying sin is wrong wether it be this one or any other one....

NewHere
NewHere 06/11/10 - 02:52 pm
Lets all the hater come out

Lets all the hater come out and post hateful comments!

KatieLou
KatieLou 06/11/10 - 03:07 pm
You didn't have to do this,

You didn't have to do this, Deke, and it really speaks not-very-flattering volumes about you that you did. I really wasn't looking around for a new mayoral candidate before this proclamation came to light.

Certain things you are required to do by law, and that's just how it is. But when it comes to the optional, you get to choose what to do. If you had stood your ground, you would have found most people standing right there with you.

Now I'm not so sure what ground is yours.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 06/11/10 - 03:12 pm
If they pull out their guns

If they pull out their guns they will be right at home on Broad St. LOL

KatieLou
KatieLou 06/11/10 - 03:20 pm
Newbie, try not to confuse

Newbie, try not to confuse disappointment with hate. Few people who refuse to condone homosexuality as a valid lifestyle choice actually hate homosexuals at all.

No one has a right to call someone a hater simply because they believe homosexuality is wrong to practice and are still saying it out loud.

Watch how many people get on here and flame people they think may be conservative or Christian. You hear far more awful stuff coming from that quarter-- keywords to look for are "hater", "bigot", "ignorant", "backward", "force their opinion on others", "hypocrite".

NewHere
NewHere 06/11/10 - 03:36 pm
Sorry Katie lou is not a

Sorry Katie lou is not a lifestyle, a choice or a practice... Is just part of how I am, while I think you are wrong I will not call anybody names or I will try to insult anybody, so I do agree that we can disagree and by repectful, but many people that post in ac don't behave that way.

freeradical
freeradical 06/11/10 - 03:40 pm
I have never understood a

I have never understood a "parade" based upon sexual

proclivities.

I don't get it.

If they have any honesty at all they will have a float dedicated to their

having the highest rates of sexual disease of all demographic groups,

and the cost to society that comes with that title.

mandyme
mandyme 06/11/10 - 03:41 pm
I agree with LCC0256, people

I agree with LCC0256, people are who they are. It is not our place to judge them or thier actions. Go on with your own business and focus on yourselves...have a straight parade, have a "white" Miss America, have "the million man march"....whatever. I was just in New York, they protest something there every week the police officer told me...some of the same people at every protest...from "No Mosque near Ground Zero" to "Don't eat Fish"....to each his own...if you don't like...move on. Spend your efforts and energy into your own well-being. Bottom line---Treat people how you want to be treated...that's all it takes.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/11/10 - 03:48 pm
When is the redneck parade

When is the redneck parade and redneck pride day. I am gonna sue.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 06/11/10 - 03:51 pm
The oppressive hypocritical

The oppressive hypocritical Christians aren't going to like this. They want and expect the government to govern based on their personal beliefs and not the laws of the land.....such sad little people.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/10 - 03:56 pm
mandyme, you make a good

mandyme, you make a good point about it not being our place to judge. Speaking out against something I don't believe in and not wanting in my town or city when I consider it a moral issue is my responsibilty to speak out against it, that is not judging an individual. The attitude, if you don't like something....move on, is so juvenile. If no one speaks out against what they feel is immoral, then what kind of world would we live in where everyone does anything they feel. Talk about a mess. If you don't stand for anything, don't complain when any sense of right and wrong goes out the window. Oops, maybe we've arrived there already.

momofteens
momofteens 06/11/10 - 03:56 pm
You know it really hits me in

You know it really hits me in the pit of my stomach when people who call themselves "Christians" blatantly voice their overwhelming judgemental comments. "Judge not, that ye be not judged"
Sound familiar??? Holy cow..."you people" in Augusta, your ignorance is overwhelming...Just saying

Mwilli5009
Mwilli5009 06/11/10 - 03:56 pm
I'm glad to see the event

I'm glad to see the event going through and not being stifled by those unwilling to accept those who are different than the southern standard of proper humanity. I hope it is a success.

Also, I just do not see why the Christian community is offended by this. It in no way compromises anyone's personal relationship with Christ. That, as I was taught, is the basis of the religion. Christianity is about a one-on-one (the person and Jesus) relationship and should not be affected by the decisions and actions of others. So, why does a gay pride parade and an Augusta Pride Day worry so many of you?

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/10 - 04:02 pm
baron, evidently you have not

baron, evidently you have not been reading the post. The Christians that have posted here today understand that legally they have a right to their parade and festival. What we don't understand is a mayor who claims to be a Christian, making a proclamation when none was necessary. You post is actually funny....if a Christian is hypocritical then they would agree with the mayor, instead of speaking out against it.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 06/11/10 - 04:02 pm
2 words: Oppressive and

2 words: Oppressive and Hypocrite

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/10 - 04:05 pm
I'm glad you've learned your

I'm glad you've learned your vocabulary words for today but weren't these the same two you've been repeating all month? Try something new.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/10 - 04:11 pm
Momofteens, please reference

Momofteens, please reference judgemental comments from Christian posters on here. Actually, God's Word calls us to judge others but in a biblical loving sense, not with harsh, ugly words. The scripture actually says Judge not, lest ye be judge likewise. This is not a commandment not to judge but a warning that if you judge you will be judge by the same measure that you judge someone else. Please people, actually study the bible to understand what it says, not just repeat portions of a scripture you think might help make your case.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/11/10 - 04:16 pm
"So, why does a gay pride

"So, why does a gay pride parade and an Augusta Pride Day worry so many of you?", Because we are commanded by God to teach His Word and to live Holy. Our commission is to lead others to Christ so that they may spend eternity with the Father. How are we to teach if we remain silent and how do we lead them to Christ if we do not show them the sin in their lives. This is to be done with love and compassion. If we that an action or behavior is wrong, are we not going against Christ teachings by sitting by, keeping our mouths shut, and letting sinners continue on their destructive path. Yes, the gay community has a legal right to have their parade. I do believe this has been mentioned several times, but for me as a Christian not to voice my dislike for something that to me is morally wrong, then by keeping quiet am I not also agreeing with the sinful behavior.

BuckeyeInGA
BuckeyeInGA 06/11/10 - 04:25 pm
InChristLove, might I suggest

InChristLove, might I suggest you pick up the phone and call the mayor or make an appointment to see him. Ask your questions and voice your concerns. Then come back to us with a full report! Buck

mandyme
mandyme 06/11/10 - 04:42 pm
Yeah, Buck. Good Idea. P.S.

Yeah, Buck. Good Idea.
P.S. Looks like we have to get with the new age, Ya'll. It appears being gay will be the new acceptance...take it or leave it. You'll die trying to end this, InChristlove.....it's already started. Sorry to dissappoint you. Maybe you could protest.