Rants & Raves

Local Teacher Song: “It’s a hard-knock life for us, it’s a hard-knock life for us. Instead of raises, with furloughs we get sticked; instead of praises, we get kicked. Instead of time for teaching, we get testing; instead of time to plan, we get meetings. It’s a hard-knock life for us. Instead of respect for degrees, we get coaches; instead of clean halls we get roaches. It’s a hard-knock life for us. Instead of respect from students we get threats; instead of no worries all we can do is fret. It’s a hard-knock life.”

I have a very simple rule when hiring contractors to do work on my property: that they provide proof that they only employ people in this country legally. I will not allow anyone to work on my property who is here illegally. If more people did this, then it would help curb illegal immigration.

There are two very simple reasons why people do not use their turn signals. The first is cell phone use. The second is laziness!

I know it’s common to blame the sitting president for the nation’s ills, but it’s absolutely incredible to me the length left-wing liberal loons will go to in order to continue to blame former President Bush for them. I would like to ask the writer of the  letter to the  editor “Obama isn’t the failure you believe” just how long he would continue to place blame on former President Bush? Five years? Ten years? Gee – why don’t we just blame him well into the 22nd century?

The repair on Skinner Mill Road has sat idle now for over five days. The equipment sits empty and the work has ceased. Why is this? This is a heavily traveled road. I was going through the detour construction area; a car traveled too far into my lane, and I had to scrape the barrels in order not to be hit by that automobile. Now my car is damaged.

I was wrong in implying I fully agreed with “up here from Savannah.” Augusta is not all that boring, but our rants too often are. And the “don’t let the door …” etc., etc., just proves the point.

After a five-year,
daily dose of reading your paper’s Rants & Raves, I have come to the conclusion that you need a new name for the column. Toward this end, I respectfully submit this header: “Tales told by idiots, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” Shakespeare won’t mind a bit. Trust me; he would undoubtedly agree with me were he still alive.

CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 02:32 pm
Well said usafvet. Had to go

Well said usafvet. Had to go through the hiring process hundreds of times in the past 30 years. What use to really make me consider hiring someone that was applying for a "Locksmith Job" was "What is a Locksmith?" This was when my son was running a Locksmith shop.

CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 02:37 pm
Speaking of a Locksmith, a

Speaking of a Locksmith, a tid bit of information. Did you know that a Locksmith is the most honest person you can meet. Rated even higher than a police officer.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/09/10 - 02:38 pm
CG - If we go to a jobsite

CG - If we go to a jobsite and find an Obama sticker on the car, I'll write up the invoice to cover your supervisory supervisor fee. No worries, mate!

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/09/10 - 02:40 pm
Doc taught me that trick....

Doc taught me that trick....

CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 02:41 pm
Trey, lol

Trey, lol

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/09/10 - 02:41 pm
Awesome, got people to stop

Awesome, got people to stop talking politics for a moment.

@Trey - Sounds nice. Make me feel like your avatar.

@usafvet - Great advice.........if you are able to get an interview.

corgimom
corgimom 06/09/10 - 02:43 pm
Wildcat- any job that you

Wildcat- any job that you have to pay to get- you don't want it.

And anyone that would agree to do this- you don't want to deal with.

Go intern for someone. Go look for 2 part-time jobs.

Right now, there is a glut of IT people. You don't say how old you are- but you sound young and naive, so here it is-

Just because you want a job in a particular field doesn't mean that you are going to get it. That is the reality even in good times, and right now it is really bad out there.

There are scads of experienced people with proven work records that would be thrilled at making $15 per hour, because that's $15 more per hour than they are making now. And they are mature and know that just because they want a job in a particular field doesn't mean that anyone is going to hire them.

And then there's this- "What's the deal with employers setting their qualification requirements for employees so high? I mean, really, why do employers want a bachelor's degree and five years working experience just to give someone a 30k a year job?"

Because they don't want to hire immature young people. They don't want to waste their time with people that think they are worth far more than what they really are worth, and have a poor attitude. Your question shows that you don't understand that, and you need to lower your expectations, especially now.

Good luck with your job search.

CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 02:45 pm
Speaking of (filtered word)

Speaking of (filtered word) car stickers. I was driving down Gordon Hwy around noon today and was following what looked like a car with one of them there stickers on it which was in better shape than the whole 4 moving wheels. ILMAO !!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/09/10 - 02:48 pm
More unsolicited advice. If

More unsolicited advice. If you are not getting interviews, take a close look at your resume'. Are you trying to use one resume' for all positions? Your resume' needs to be tweaked for each position applied for.

CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 02:52 pm
Darn corgimon, I'm agreeing

Darn corgimon, I'm agreeing with you 100% on this one. Could it be that I'm getting old.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/09/10 - 02:57 pm
@corgimom - My age is 27, so

@corgimom - My age is 27, so young and naive I am not. However, I am 20k in debt for college, another 20k to finish my Bachelors degree, too much experience in dead-end jobs, limited work experience in IT, married with a kid which prevents me from working for free at an internship, and not making enough to cover the student loans that will soon be rolling in for the useless paper that was given to me. So yes, my attitude has suffered recently with the prospect of being indebted for something that isn't paying off.

"Any job that you have to pay to get- you don't want it." To quote many older wiser people in my life: "You gotta do, what you gotta do, and sometimes that means you gotta make deals to get where you need to get."

CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 03:01 pm
Wildcat682, deep down inside

Wildcat682, deep down inside of me, I really feel for you. Don't give up, we still have some America left.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/09/10 - 03:03 pm
$40,000 for an IT degree???

$40,000 for an IT degree??? What college did you attend? Then again maybe you can put your college to work in a truck. $70,000 last year.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/09/10 - 03:02 pm
@Roadkill - Already tweeking

@Roadkill - Already tweeking my resumes; hasn't done anything for me yet. Trying to get a help desk position at a call center, but they all want 2 years help desk experience in a call center.

The comforting thought in all this is knowing I'm not the only one in my position.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/09/10 - 03:04 pm
@Roadkill - Take a wild

@Roadkill - Take a wild guess. Let me give you a hint. The only one a married man on swing shift with a wife and child is able to get into. Probably already figured it out. The wonderful world of UOP.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/09/10 - 03:06 pm
@CG I 'preciate it. I'm

@CG I 'preciate it. I'm giving this IT business one more year, then I'm selling my degree back to UOP for $40k.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/09/10 - 03:07 pm
Wildcat, if you want the job

Wildcat, if you want the job at a help desk move to East Timburistanislovia. Seems that is who I get if I call!!!

CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 03:09 pm
Wildcat682, looks like you

Wildcat682, looks like you are looking for a job that 99.9% are located in India.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/09/10 - 03:10 pm
LMAO @ Roadkill, That is

LMAO @ Roadkill, That is about the truth. Anyway, onto a more merry subject. Obama is still in office.........oh wait, that isn't very merry.

CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 03:10 pm
RK, You beat me to it.

RK, You beat me to it.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/09/10 - 03:12 pm
@CG - So you're saying I

@CG - So you're saying I should go into drug-dealing? Well, at least that way I would have Presidential Approval. I mean Obama and half of Congress did cheer for the drug cartels......uh, I mean Calderon.

CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 03:14 pm
Beautiful day at the market,

Beautiful day at the market, 2 trades, up .13 on one, a short of .07 on the other.

CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 03:17 pm
Wildcat682, don't think that

Wildcat682, don't think that way, that is all going to come to an end real soon.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/09/10 - 03:17 pm
Best of luck to you in the

Best of luck to you in the market CG. It already kicked my butt one time. Will be a while before I get back into that beast.

Wildcat682
Wildcat682 06/09/10 - 03:18 pm
Sure you heard about the

Sure you heard about the teenager who was shot at the border. I'm just interested to see what happens from that incident.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/09/10 - 03:20 pm
CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 03:20 pm
Your right, it can be a

Your right, it can be a beast.

Knock on wood, I have done real good in the past 4 years. It just a hobby for me now.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/09/10 - 03:20 pm
Border Patrol Agent will be

Border Patrol Agent will be found guilty of doing his job and incarcerated.

CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 03:23 pm