Rants & Raves

Local Teacher Song: “It’s a hard-knock life for us, it’s a hard-knock life for us. Instead of raises, with furloughs we get sticked; instead of praises, we get kicked. Instead of time for teaching, we get testing; instead of time to plan, we get meetings. It’s a hard-knock life for us. Instead of respect for degrees, we get coaches; instead of clean halls we get roaches. It’s a hard-knock life for us. Instead of respect from students we get threats; instead of no worries all we can do is fret. It’s a hard-knock life.”

I have a very simple rule when hiring contractors to do work on my property: that they provide proof that they only employ people in this country legally. I will not allow anyone to work on my property who is here illegally. If more people did this, then it would help curb illegal immigration.

There are two very simple reasons why people do not use their turn signals. The first is cell phone use. The second is laziness!

I know it’s common to blame the sitting president for the nation’s ills, but it’s absolutely incredible to me the length left-wing liberal loons will go to in order to continue to blame former President Bush for them. I would like to ask the writer of the  letter to the  editor “Obama isn’t the failure you believe” just how long he would continue to place blame on former President Bush? Five years? Ten years? Gee – why don’t we just blame him well into the 22nd century?

The repair on Skinner Mill Road has sat idle now for over five days. The equipment sits empty and the work has ceased. Why is this? This is a heavily traveled road. I was going through the detour construction area; a car traveled too far into my lane, and I had to scrape the barrels in order not to be hit by that automobile. Now my car is damaged.

I was wrong in implying I fully agreed with “up here from Savannah.” Augusta is not all that boring, but our rants too often are. And the “don’t let the door …” etc., etc., just proves the point.

After a five-year,
daily dose of reading your paper’s Rants & Raves, I have come to the conclusion that you need a new name for the column. Toward this end, I respectfully submit this header: “Tales told by idiots, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” Shakespeare won’t mind a bit. Trust me; he would undoubtedly agree with me were he still alive.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 06/09/10 - 08:42 am
treat em right willie..it

treat em right willie..it always is in our best interests to do so...

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/10 - 08:48 am
Rats..they are banging on the

Rats..they are banging on the roof & I have to put up with 2 dogs inside today!!!! What a dumpy day this will be. Nervous dogs & hyper hubby & we are all in the same house. Come up here today Zeno & I will pay you to calm these critters. lol

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 09:11 am
My support for Rant 4.. (long

My support for Rant 4.. (long but good - If you don't or can't read use your SCROLL bar)

Green: Obama is a victim of Bush's failed promises
By CHUCK GREEN
Columnist
Published: Sunday, February 7, 2010 11:14 AM MST

Barack Obama is setting a record-setting number of records during his first year in office.

Largest budget ever. Largest deficit ever. Largest number of broken promises ever. Most self-serving speeches ever. Largest number of agenda-setting failures ever. Fastest dive in popularity ever.

Wow. Talk about change.

Just one year ago, fresh from his inauguration celebrations, President Obama was flying high. After one of the nation’s most inspiring political campaigns, the election of America ’s first black president had captured the hopes and dreams of millions. To his devout followers, it was inconceivable that a year later his administration would be gripped in self-imposed crisis.

Of course, they don’t see it as self imposed. It’s all George Bush’s fault.

George Bush, who doesn’t have a vote in Congress and who no longer occupies the White House, is to blame for it all.

He broke Obama’s promise to put all bills on the White House web site for five days before signing them.

He broke Obama’s promise to have the congressional health care negotiations broadcast live on C-SPAN.

He broke Obama’s promise to end earmarks.

He broke Obama’s promise to keep unemployment from rising above 8 percent.

He broke Obama’s promise to close the detention center at Guantanamo in the first year.

He broke Obama’s promise to make peace with direct, no pre-condition talks with America ’s most hate-filled enemies during his first year in office, ushering in a new era of global cooperation.

He broke Obama’s promise to end the hiring of former lobbyists into high White House jobs.

He broke Obama’s promise to end no-compete contracts with the government.

He broke Obama’s promise to disclose the names of all attendees at closed White House meetings.

He broke Obama’s promise for a new era of bipartisan cooperation in all matters.

He broke Obama’s promise to have chosen a home church to attend Sunday services with his family by Easter of last year.

Yes, it’s all George Bush’s fault. President Obama is nothing more than a puppet in the never-ending, failed Bush administration.

If only George Bush wasn’t still in charge, all of President Obama’s problems would be solved. His promises would have been kept, the economy would be back on track, Iran would have stopped its work on developing a nuclear bomb and would be negotiating a peace treaty with Israel , North Korea would have ended its tyrannical regime, and integrity would have been restored to the federal government.

Oh, and did I mention what it would be like if the Democrats, under the leadership of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, didn’t have the heavy yoke of George Bush around their necks. There would be no earmarks, no closed-door drafting of bills, no increase in deficit spending, no special-interest influence (unions), no vote buying ( Nebraska , Louisiana ).

If only George Bush wasn’t still in charge, we’d have real change by now.

All the broken promises, all the failed legislation and delay (health care reform, immigration reform) is not President Obama’s fault or the fault of the Democrat-controlled Congress. It’s all George Bush’s fault.

Take for example the decision of Eric Holder, the president’s attorney general, to hold terrorists’ trials in New York City . Or his decision to try the Christmas Day underpants bomber as a civilian.

Two disastrous decisions.

Certainly those were bad judgments based on poor advice from George Bush.

Need more proof?

You might recall that when Scott Brown won last month’s election to the U.S. Senate from Massachusetts , capturing “the Ted Kennedy seat,” President Obama said that Brown’s victory was the result of the same voter anger that propelled Obama into office in 2008. People were still angry about George Bush and the policies of the past 10 years, and they wanted change.

Yes, according to the president, the voter rebellion in Massachusetts last month was George Bush’s fault.

Therefore, in retaliation, they elected a Republican to the Ted Kennedy seat, ending a half-century of domination by Democrats.

It is all George Bush’s fault.

Will the failed administration of George Bush ever end, and the time for hope and change ever arrive?

Will President Obama ever accept responsibility for something — anything?

30cal
30cal 06/09/10 - 09:15 am
I have a back hoe. AND my

I have a back hoe. AND my garden needs fertilizer .I'll check with my buddy in the ag. office and see how many it takes per acre.

disssman
disssman 06/09/10 - 09:16 am
We will continue to blame

We will continue to blame Bush for the gross errors he made, until the errors can be corrected. Except for the budget surplus which he left. Man it is good to have some money in the federal government bank. BTW, I didn't see Mr. military out paying respects for the soldiers who died trying to defend his daddy's honor.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 06/09/10 - 09:16 am
Willie, re. your 8:37, how

Willie, re. your 8:37, how about soylent green?

disssman
disssman 06/09/10 - 09:24 am
I don't believe the number

I don't believe the number one problem in the country is a result of Mr. Bush. No, he left the regulation of oil companys to his numer two, Dickie boy and look at the results of those changes to a smaller government. BTW, I believe that if Mr Bush will never leave the country for any diplomatic functions (as previous Presidents have) because apparently he admitted in his book that he broke international laws by approving torture.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/10 - 09:32 am
In the AJC today....border

In the AJC today....border patrol kills teen trying to enter the country...a group of illegals entering the USA threw rocks & used force against the border patrol officers. They were assaulted by the intruders,, now wait & see the outcry about this from the do-gooders...when actually this could be the answer to our problem....we could save a lot of money if we did MEAN it when we say DON'T COME ACROSS OUR BORDERS ILLEGALY.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 09:36 am
B4, yes it would be. I would

B4, yes it would be. I would even pay for all the ammo!

OCO
OCO 06/09/10 - 09:38 am
willienelson Wednesday, Jun.

willienelson Wednesday, Jun. 9 8:35 I say only hire illegals. Then don't pay them. What are they gonna do?

- Thanks for the chuckle!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/10 - 09:40 am
Cobalt ... we want to kick

Cobalt ... we want to kick some "tail' today don't we...hahah
of course some will think we are heartless.... but look how many would be saved from dying in the desert if we did this at the border...they wouldn't come.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 09:40 am
Visit this link and "Do The

Visit this link and "Do The Right Thing" (10 seconds of your time)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 09:40 am
KSL, Thanks

KSL, Thanks

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 09:44 am
I have feelings for animals,

I have feelings for animals, this would be a good way to feed the buzzards in Mexico.

30cal
30cal 06/09/10 - 09:44 am
B4 did you notice the

B4 did you notice the sledgehammer laying beside the boy.ANd what do they mean when they(MEXICAN politicans)say they will allmeans to protect their people migrating to U.S.. I hope that is a threat ,then we will be allowed to protect our self's.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/10 - 09:48 am
I didn't see the hammer but I

I didn't see the hammer but I do know a teen can kill just as fast as an adult.. We have been waay too easy on crossers at the border, we need to get serious about it. I took the vote CG & I see 96% agree with Arizona new law.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/09/10 - 09:52 am
I'll be back later, I know

I'll be back later, I know that makes some "happy". Back in the green in the market today.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 06/09/10 - 10:00 am
George, call me if ya have

George, call me if ya have even a few bucks work ya need done...I'm game.

sliique
sliique 06/09/10 - 10:04 am
Kudos to the Chronicle for

Kudos to the Chronicle for "weeding," the comments. "woot," that!!!!

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/09/10 - 10:05 am
I have home handyman

I have home handyman work/cleaning I need done. I estimate labor costs at about $1,500 @ $12.50/hr. Too bad you are such an anti-military lunatic.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/09/10 - 10:06 am
Anything to keep you happy,

Anything to keep you happy, sliique. That is why this comments section exists.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 06/09/10 - 10:11 am
not an anti-military lunatic

not an anti-military lunatic Trey...thought we buried that hatchet...my apologetics are all in the archives...don't like war or killing but accept it as necessary and don't condemn those who have obligated themselves to service...w/o them I could not enjoy the one most basic right I hope we never lose..the right to speak my mind freely...if you are handing me a carrot on a stick...I accept the tease...if not, then please accept my apology once again...I don't mind admitting my wrongs...I'm not that stubborn.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 06/09/10 - 10:19 am
In addition to this Trey, I

In addition to this Trey, I am finding the really worthwhile people I meet are former servicemen and women here in Augusta and when I see a trend such as this I tend to re-examine my own motives...back when I was so angry at my bro, I was angry about a lot of things and expressed my anger selfishly...to my own regret, since it alienated me from many of the posters I had enjoyed conversations with..now that I am more in my right mind these days, I try to remember it's not all about me...that other people have a right to their own POV...and this is something I didn't want to give an inch on before..but now I'm listening, paying attention since I ain't that broke yet...and not so religious that I lean away from righteous indignation but now able to not condemn others for something I would not want to do...I did express an interest in owning and carrying a firearm which two years ago I would not have considered...so if anything, the military folks I have met here and elsewhere have been an influence on me changing my own POV about these things...so Trey, can we get past this error in thinking on my part and let my words be forgiven?

butler123
butler123 06/09/10 - 10:37 am
About a month ago I went to

About a month ago I went to get my oil changed at the Jiffy Lube on Tobacco road. When I pulled out I noticed a group of guys behind what ever business that is on the corner next door to Jiffy. It sure made me think illegals. If I would have noticed this kind of thing 5-10 years ago when I got laid off usually once a year when building was slow I would have been right out there with them. I would have worked cheap when I didn't have any work. There has to be others. Legals who are out of work should take over this thing. It is hard to get away with working for cash these days. I sure would like to know what the going rate is for these illegals.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 06/09/10 - 10:46 am
probably the rate depends

probably the rate depends upon the skill of the labor and language barrier difficulty..it won't be much but better than I could pay right now...I'd rather hire a homeless person for a day's wage...

butler123
butler123 06/09/10 - 11:05 am
I guess to me it would depend

I guess to me it would depend on the homeless person. If he is a drug addict it would almost be like supporting the Mexican Cartels or terrorists.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/09/10 - 11:06 am
Morning George, Trey,

Morning George, Trey, SeenitB4, Zeno, 30Cal! "Good man, Zeno!"
"Z-man," I hope some of our personal communication of the recent past had a little influence with you. Studying your comments, I had hoped we could be friends, and meet one day! That may come to fruition in the near future. Hope you get work soon, Zeno!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/09/10 - 11:35 am
Given the choice between a

Given the choice between a pork chop and a naked woman, I think I'll take the pork chop!

chipshirley
chipshirley 06/09/10 - 11:36 am
PURDUE VETOES GUN

PURDUE VETOES GUN BILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!
Once again, I am doing the Chronicle's reporting for them!!!!!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/09/10 - 11:45 am
You're late, Chips! Had you

You're late, Chips! Had you followed up, you would have found this has already been reported. Now, "the clincher" is, Perdue did NOT sign away our gun rights! He only vetoed the part that would have allowed weapons in certain parts of the air-port! Legally licensed permit holders are still able to "carry" in all other allowed places.

SC Speaker Harrell quits, pleas guilty

COLUMBIA - Suspended South Carolina House Speaker Bobby Harrell has pleaded guilty to six campaign fiance violations and agreed to resign from office.