Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

THE CHRONICLE is a Georgia paper, with only a few minor attempts to entice and pacify its South Carolina neighbors. So I'm confused as to why your lead editorial in Sunday's paper blasted a school issue in Aiken County. For your information, it's not just that our schools are "old"; it's that they only have room for half their students. Having a place to sit really helps a student learn.

ILLEGAL MEANS against the law. Obama spoke of "illegal immigrants" as being "law-abiding." Make sense of that!

RAVE FOR ARIZONA for trying to enforce our immigration laws. To solve the racism and discrimination complaints, simply change the law to require that police verify citizenship on everyone arrested.

JUST A WORD in regards to the much talked about immigration law in Arizona, which is long overdue. I only hope many of our other states will have the intestinal fortitude to follow this much needed policy.

AS A PARISHIONER of Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church, I am deeply disappointed in our pastor, who reprinted (and apparently endorses) an article in the church bulletin regarding illegal immigration. The article, which previously appeared in the Southern Cross newspaper, talked about the Catholic bishops' opposition to the Arizona immigration law. The Catholic leadership should be more concerned with the Mexican government providing for the welfare of its own people. I am a Hispanic Catholic who supports the Arizona law.

A RANT FOR the Mexican president. He is absolutely right when he says we need to revamp our immigration laws. Why don't we simply implement the same laws Mexico has: no entry without a job or income, jail time for people without documentation and immediate deportation.

SOMEBODY ASKED in the Rants & Raves if there are any churches in Columbia or Richmond County where he or she would feel welcome. Well, please come to Pine View Baptist Church in Martinez, on Pleasant Home Road. We will give you many hugs. and you will feel very welcome -- and good food to boot.

A RANT TO Augusta Utilities. Why is there a charge to pay a water bill online? This seems totally backwards. Less human interaction should mean less expense/operating cost.

WHAT GOOD DOES it do to have a Palmetto Parkway when tractor-trailers still come through North Augusta by the thousands each day? The trucks block Knox Avenue and Martintown Road when they should be using the parkway.

Tell us what you think

Comments (198)

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/26/10 - 02:40 am

I agree with the Rave for

I agree with the Rave for Arizona in helping to bring illegal immigration under control. I am also pleased that Obama will be at least temporarily sending in 1,200 National Guard troops to help secure the border. It is a step in the right direction even though much more is needed these efforts are appreciated. I also agree with the poster, change the law so that ALL are checked for citizenship status if arrested or ticketed and if they are illegal, then notify ICE. As in the news today, an illegal immigrant, after his 9th deportation after many arrests on other charges has now been charged with rape. We MUST secure our borders, deport all illegals who have violated other laws and then decide how to transistion those who work and are contributing members of society. As for the Mexican President's comments, we appreciate what you are doing to help with the drug wars and understand all that you are going through in your own company be don't need to be told what to do by you or any other country who's laws are far more agressive towards illegals than ours are.

Johnny Rotten
Johnny Rotten 05/26/10 - 04:20 am

"A computer once beat me at

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
- Emo Philips

w00t!

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 05/26/10 - 05:03 am

Why do you think there are

Why do you think there are trucks? They might be dropping off stuff at Knox and Martintown. They don't just leave it on the side of the road on Palmetto Pkwy and Walmart and other places has to go pick it up. If it were thousands a day unemployment would be at 0%

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/26/10 - 05:20 am

It's 420 in OK-TX...time for

It's 420 in OK-TX...time for wheat harvest boys...get them tractors out and running...
No comment...on five AZ RnR's...Illegal is just that...submit to the law or go home.
On learning, R#1, education occurs daily since our first breath...learning takes place for each of us as we live and breathe...if young people had enough self respect and respect for their peers, size would not matter, smart kids could help the ones who need it and assist in helping their peers learn...but we lay all their success at the foot of the teacher and blame them for the student's lack of resolve to learn...sorry, but the desire to learn comes from the crib to pre school and not much afterward..parents who fail, fail not only their children, but their children's peers and the next generations to come.
Drive over to the Hill Drug on Monte Sano...quick water bill pay, no delay in payment being posted, and no lines in a govt building...fast as you can go in and come out...
Don't care about your driving failures...or what church you attend...so that's it.
"Facing a mirror you see merely your own countenance; facing your child you finally understand how everyone else has seen you."

--Daniel Raeburn

Ya'll have a super hump day....give it to God and watch what He does for your day...be blessed...time for breakfast.

corgimom
19236
corgimom 05/26/10 - 06:45 am

"smart kids could help the

"smart kids could help the ones who need it and assist in helping their peers learn..."

Is a child sent to school to help other kids learn, or are they sent to school to get an education themselves?

Is it a child's responsibility at school to teach other kids?

(Can you tell I got stuck having to do that as a kid and resented it?)

Martinez
Martinez 05/26/10 - 06:50 am

# 5 - Add to that Rant any

# 5 - Add to that Rant any church for getting involved in political issues period. And a bigger Rant to the IRS for not revoking the 501(c)(3) status of those who continually insist on using the pulpit to lobby issues they oppose. A church violates their tax exempt status if it contacts, or urges the public to contact, members or employees of a legislative body for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing legislation, or if the organization advocates the adoption or rejection of legislation.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/26/10 - 06:51 am

let me ask this, is it the

let me ask this, is it the job of your peers at work to assist you in becoming familiar w your work tasks, the boss, schedules, paperwork filing, or do your peers offer to help as a gesture to make you more comfortable w learning your job? Likewise, if a student who can help sees a student who needs help and the teacher can allow them to assist, doesn't it make sense to let students help one another and learn the way to cooperate w others in a group setting while also learning how to do the school work? I think part of the learning process is not about book learning but also social skills is integrated into the learning process...so yeah kids go to school to learn how to function in society and getting along and helping others is a part of the process of becoming a well-rounded individual...and if some kids are no role models to their peers, who will the next leaders of our govt and corporations be?

Life is not limited to one's opinions, but to the actual real-time events we experience along the way and our responses to those things which affect us.

Martinez
Martinez 05/26/10 - 06:59 am

Corqimom - I see your point

Corqimom - I see your point but struggle with our (the US) approach of not utilizing peer pressure more as a positive educational tool. There are other countries far exceeding the US in educational standards that grossly rely on peer pressure to obtain results. For example, if one student doesn't pass an exam for the week, all students must attend on Saturday. Some even revoke summer breaks until all students master certain subject material. The pressure to not be the child who causes your entire class to lose privledges is powerful but here in the US, we have taken coddling to an extreme. I certainly think there is room to consider a better balance between our current system and one that holds students more accountable.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/26/10 - 07:02 am

"Is it fair to ask a child to

"Is it fair to ask a child to work with a kid who has behavior or learning problems?

(Can you tell I got stuck having to do that as a kid and resented it?)"

And you did not have to tell us this...it (resentment) shows in your remarks...

Trouble
Trouble 05/26/10 - 07:07 am

morning all

morning all

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/26/10 - 07:34 am

Part of learning the greatest

Part of learning the greatest lessons in life involve the understanding that Life IS NOT FAIR...so maybe you missed out on your fair share of the spirit of being cooperative, which explains a lot about the spirit of your comments that is so evident to all who read them...IMHO, you should do some soul-searching and ask yourself why you feel falsely superior and the need to compete is so strong...domineering sibling?...second-born?...negative reinforcements from authority figures?..perhaps, or none..but something is eating at you, struggling to be expressed...please take some time to find your center where there is peace...your words betray your attitude about many things, as all of us here come to realize after engaging one another in healthy debate...but something is strongly in opposition within your spirit and I am a compassionate person and I sense you need to hear this so if I offend I don't intend it...I'd just like to understand what is making your comments so pre-emptive and why there seems to be a seething anger unresolved in your 'voice'...We all have feelings and one should try to be civil, so forgive me for not being PC and saying it nice...my middle name is frank...I can not be any other way.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/26/10 - 07:41 am

G'mornin and good comments

G'mornin and good comments from Zeno and Martinez. I don't think I need to add anything. Thanks for handling the light work.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/26/10 - 08:10 am

Re: Today's avatar. Do you

Re: Today's avatar. Do you like him any better now? If not, it proves you are not a racist. I still think he is a bumbling puppet idiot socialist. So I passed the test - I'm not.

willienelson
willienelson 05/26/10 - 08:12 am

There's nothing wrong with a

There's nothing wrong with a little racism. Over 87% of all Americans have some racist feelings.

willienelson
willienelson 05/26/10 - 08:14 am

Even 61% of retarded people

Even 61% of retarded people display signs of racism.

willienelson

willienelson 05/26/10 - 08:29 am

I think corgimom is PTHS

I think corgimom is PTHS

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/26/10 - 08:29 am

Now you are telling

Now you are telling secrets.....

willienelson
willienelson 05/26/10 - 08:30 am

I think Asitisinaug is PTHS

I think Asitisinaug is PTHS

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/26/10 - 08:31 am

Make sure you don't forget

Make sure you don't forget Doc and CBBP.....

willienelson
willienelson 05/26/10 - 08:32 am

Sorry...this is all based on

Sorry...this is all based on more than a simple hunch. This is based on scientific deduction. Have any of you seen these folks nekkid at that same time???? I rest my case

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/26/10 - 08:34 am

I have seen them like that,

I have seen them like that, 10 secs before I went permanently blind....

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/26/10 - 08:41 am

Today's "You might be a

Today's "You might be a Redneck if...." calendar says ".....your hairstylist, your attorney, and your doctor don't have a license between them."

That sure sounds like some posters have been hiring other posters for stuff other than fixing computers.

willienelson
willienelson 05/26/10 - 08:38 am

lol.....I am so sorry I

lol.....I am so sorry I brought up such a painful memory

countyman
countyman 05/26/10 - 08:52 am

100 good paying jobs are

100 good paying jobs are coming to Augusta. BottleTek Inc's injection molding facility in Richmond County is moving along.. The 100 new jobs will be here in 2011.

The $100 million facility would be capable of running three shifts a day. Its plastic products would serve the automotive industry.

The company is looking at three sites in South Augusta near the industrial area along Mike Padgett Highway and Doug Bernard Parkway.

countyman
countyman 05/26/10 - 08:51 am

I forgot to mention when

I forgot to mention when people click on the link above. You must have a account in order to see the complete details. I'll post them for everybody to see.

SIC CODE: Plastic Bottles

Estimated Value: $100 million

Location: Augusta, GA

Details: Plans call for a blow molded plastic bottle plant.

Key Dates: Operation start date 2011

Contact information: http://fun-l-flo.com/

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/26/10 - 08:54 am

"....and then I found $5"

"....and then I found $5"

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...