Pastors dismiss 2008 fury over Wright

AIKEN --- The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, President Obama's former pastor whose volatile videotaped sermons became an issue in the 2008 presidential campaign, touched indirectly on the controversy at a revival Monday night.

The Rev. Douglas Slaughter kicked off the three-night revival at Second Baptist Church of Aiken by addressing critics of his decision to invite Wright.

Obama, who was a member of Wright's Chicago church for several years, distanced himself from Wright's remarks and eventually ended his relationship with his former pastor.

Wright shed some light on his moments in the media by weaving them into his message on Psalm 23 and how the story of King David is reflected in his own life.

"David had hopes that were not realized, and so have I. David had hurts that would not go away, and so have I. And guess what else: David had some haters that put him through hell. Folk who didn't like him for no reason at all. Folks who didn't like him, jealous of him, haters, because of what they heard about him, read about him, who looked down on him for what he did for a living, haters," he said. "And then some other folks who kissed up when he changed from being a keeper of animals to a king over Israel. ... Everybody hanging around you ain't pulling for you."

Slaughter said watching his friend go through difficult times has been painful. "He (Wright) carried me when I couldn't carry myself," said Slaughter.

He said Wright's ministry is prophetic and "prophets have never been popular."

"The real test isn't always what's popular," he said.

Wright's message on Psalm 23 will continue through Wednesday. Second Baptist Church of Aiken is at 425 Hampton Ave. N.W.

Jane18
Jane18 05/25/10 - 08:30 am
Wright's life is nowhere

Wright's life is nowhere similar, or could be `reflected' to King David's life! Where does this common man get the idea that he is anywhere the man David was? A prophet was called to pass on what GOD told them. Wright passes on what he(wright) thinks the Bible says. The best advice I can give anyone that listens to anything Wright says, is......STOP! He is a false teacher!

afskyefan
afskyefan 05/25/10 - 09:29 am
This tells you all you need

This tells you all you need to know about the pastor of Second Baptist and what he is probably 'preaching' as well.

swinter05
swinter05 05/25/10 - 11:56 am
Ridiculous!! So sad, that

Ridiculous!! So sad, that just because you can yell and spit some words at the alter, people actually see you as a prophet? Definitely a false teacher and the devil in sheep's clothing. Ewwww...and shame on the pastor of Aiken!

corgimom
corgimom 05/25/10 - 01:41 pm
"Folk who didn't like him for

"Folk who didn't like him for no reason at all."

Oh, there are reasons, all right.

"He said Wright's ministry is prophetic and "prophets have never been popular."

Wonder if he prophesized that Barack Obama would turn against him and not give him the time of day?

I cannot imagine anyone actually going to hear that hate-monger.

Dudeness
Dudeness 05/25/10 - 02:54 pm
Was the sermon about David or

Was the sermon about David or about Jeremiah Wright?? It sounds like he was just venting his own feelings. I would steer as far from this church as I possibly could.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 05/25/10 - 03:41 pm
Oh the hypocrisy coming from

Oh the hypocrisy coming from the big Christian tent!

mable8
mable8 05/25/10 - 11:40 pm
"Slaughter, who has known

"Slaughter, who has known Wright since the 1980s, said people should "thank God for the spirit and the gift of God that is preaching the sermon for us." Well, Mr Slaughter, I don't care how long you have known this lecher--he is definitely NOT a 'gift of God,' but he sure is the worst type of bigot you'll ever find. Clearly, this "man" hates America; he hates anyone who doesn't believe as he does; he hates anyone who has lighter skin than he does; he hates women--as a matter of fact, he simply hates, and who nees that kind of 'sermon' from the pulpit? Quite the contrary to your last statement about prophets; not all prophets were unpopular. Furthermore, Wright is no David, so where is the comparison in your analogy????

ROBSLWILL
ROBSLWILL 05/26/10 - 02:34 am
Rev Wright is a very good,

Rev Wright is a very good, intelligent, and dedicated person and he cares about people. He cares about our beliefs, he cares about our faith and he cares about not only the black race but about the whole human race. He stands up for people that don't and can't stand up for themselves. I love to hear him speak and I will travel to do so. I need to hear arguments about different subjects. I need to hear different points of view. And I need to hear the truth about things people don’t want to talk about. I need to hear someone clarify some things that need to be clarified. I love to hear intelligence. I want food for thought.
I am very happy he still chooses to speak and maybe one day you people that criticize might want to come and listen to what he has to say. Listen to the whole subject and not just the parts they want you to hear. I did an interview one time for a paper and we talked for two and a half hours and in the paper he chose two sentences of what I said and made a whole story about it so I learned that people can shade a story anyway they want and leave the truth behind a closed door.

ROBSLWILL
ROBSLWILL 05/26/10 - 02:06 am
Do you even know the man or

Do you even know the man or hear him speak? Or are you going on hearsay? I remember the first time I saw white prejudice; I wondered how people who did not know me could dislike me. They never took the time to find out who I was and what I was about. All they knew is I was black and that was enough. I know Rev Wright and have been to his church and heard him speak on many occasions and I marveled at his brilliance and how he chose to express himself. He is a gift to us from God and because of him a church that had 10 people grew to between 8000 to 10,000 folks. The church takes care of the old, the sick and the hopeless and all those who need help. Rev Wright cared and because of him and his faith the church grew. Know him first and earn the privilege to criticize.

lsmith
lsmith 05/26/10 - 06:44 am
robsslwill: If you love the

robsslwill: If you love the words Wright says then you're no better than he is. There's a reason Obama cut Wright out of his life, well maybe 2 reasons. One Wright's hateful rhetoric is not only unAmerican but wrongheaded for anyone who speaks from the pulpit. A preacher is supposed to be all about love, togetherness and bringing people together. Wright certainly made NO effort to bring blacks and whites together. Wright came across as being nothing other than a pathetic blow hard that just cannot find anything good to say about this country which looks to me has been pretty generous with his worthlessness. And 2 Obama cut him loose for self preservation, can't get elected president with your preacher ranting and raving about hating, hating hating, afterall it was whites that elected Obama. A 14 percent or less black population couldn't get Obama elected dog catcher. I'm sure there's a reason why Obama went to the man's church for all those years, he identifies with him, just ain't got guts enough to show his true colors. He threw Wright under the bus. Was that right or wrong? I don't know, I kinda wish he'd just continued to attend this rabid anti American's church, because it'd mean we'd have another president sitting in the white house.
The 8 to 10 thousand followers you say attend Wright's church are little more than sheeple. Some weak minded individuals will follow the devil to his lair. I seem to remember 913 people.....following the Reverand Jim Jones all the way to the hot, sweaty jungles of Guyana only to end up rotting away in a pile humanity on the jungle floor after receiving orders to drink cyanide laced koolaid.
So, the fact that Wright has so many followers doesn't impress me much other than to question their intelligence

ROBSLWILL
ROBSLWILL 05/26/10 - 07:57 am
It is evident you did not

It is evident you did not hear a word I said and all the doctors, lawyers, judges, business people, educators, students, and just regular folks may take offence of your short sightedness. We are not fools nor would we follow a fool. A preacher is about love but he is also about the truth and about the word of God the Father. It is not by accident that Obama and many other intelligent people came to hear Rev Wright speak. Fools followed Rev Jones and we are not about to kill ourselves over a fool. But you are right in one aspect, for self preservation Obama did separate himself from our church so that he could get elected but whites were not the only people that voted for Obama. There are more races in America than you realize and they are on the rise. I thought intelligence won that race.

Jane18
Jane18 05/26/10 - 10:07 am
Folks, `kick the dust off

Folks, `kick the dust off your sandals' and stop `casting pearls.....', move on to someone that will listen. ROBSLWILL has been fooled by a smooth talker(a deceiver). Rob you need to come out of that stupor you're in! Wright is a HATER, there is no love in him for ALL of GOD's children.