Vet claims Waynesboro K-9 didn't have to die

Meth-related poisoning is called into question

The Waynesboro, Ga., Police Department has launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of a police dog after the veterinarian who euthanized it said the dog did not appear to have been beyond help, as its handler claimed.

Back | Next
Po Po, a 2-year-old German shepherd, was put down two days after he stepped in meth-producing chemicals, Petitt said.  Zach Boyden-Holmes/File
Zach Boyden-Holmes/File

The department held a memorial service for the dog, Po Po, on Wednesday, where Officer Bruce Petitt said the dog had stepped in meth-producing chemicals during a warrant service two days before and apparently ingested or absorbed them.

Petitt said a veterinarian had told him it was too late to save the dog, so it had been put down.

But Friday, Dr. Sarah Ford, the veterinarian who put the dog to sleep, said Po Po did not appear to have symptoms of poisoning.

"I work with dogs every day that have been poisoned by different chemicals, and he certainly didn't exhibit any symptoms that a poisoned dog would have," said Ford, of the Burke County Animal Hospital.

Ford said Petitt made an appointment two days after the chemical contact strictly for euthanasia. No toxicology reports were filed through her office.

But Petitt acknowledged that a urine test was performed by an Augusta lab and that no trace of narcotics was found.

Petitt, who has been a handler since 1980, told Ford that Po Po was having 10 seizures a day.

"When I saw the dog, I was expecting to see some out-of-it, drooling, staggering type situation," Ford said, "but that dog was normal."

Because the dog was Petitt's personal property, Ford said law obligates her to honor his request for euthanasia, but not before recommending alternate care.

"Because the dog acted normal, I said that we should really hospitalize the dog and give him a chance," she said. "Every canine unit that I've ever talked to would give their right arm for the dog and give them every last chance."

Petitt denies that these suggestions were ever made. He said Ford commented that Po Po was either losing or had already lost his vision.

"If anybody would have given me any possibility that this dog could recover, there's no way I would be going through this or putting my kids and half of my department through this," Petitt said Friday. "If Dr. Ford said she said there was anything that could save him then she's an absolute liar."

Another veterinarian, Dr. Bruce Gradous, saw the dog before it was brought to Ford.

Gradous would not discuss his treatment of Po Po, but Petitt said Gradous put the dog on anti-seizure medication and flushed its system with IVs. He said Gradous was the one who suggested that Po Po had come into contact with meth.

Seizure medication, however, didn't seem to improve the dog's conditions, Petitt said. Gradous was ready to put Po Po to sleep, but Petitt said he wasn't ready and waited a day before taking the dog to Ford.

Police Chief Karl Allen said he had just learned of Ford's complaints Friday morning and that the department would investigate but he could give no further details.

Though Po Po belonged to Pettit, the city was about to contract to lease the dog for $1,000 per month. Documents were to have been signed by the City Council's Public Safety Committee on May 17, according to Chairman Richard Byne.

The committee still plans to lease Dee-Moe, another dog of Petitt's. Byne said the committee was comfortable staying with the handler because of Po Po's success.

"This is a big investigation because the dog has done such a great job," Byne said. "I think Officer Petitt is a great officer and we respect him very much, but this is something we need to follow up on."

boro-mom
boro-mom 05/22/10 - 10:23 pm
It sounds like some people

It sounds like some people commenting on this article are not reading it in it's entirety before posting. Dr. Ford clearly offered and even encouraged treatment and monitoring before taking such a drastic step as to put Po Po down. He refused and told her the dog was to be put down because he was now a danger to people due to erratic behavior. She had tried to convince him otherwise--even suggesting "we should really hospitalize the dog and give him a chance." Despite the fact that Po Po appeared completely healthy, she had to put him down because this dog was trained to attack and his trainer was telling her he was a threat. What was she supposed to do? This man has small children.
As a local who appreciates all Officer Pettit has done as well as the accomplishments of his canine partner, I hate that the dog has been lost but do think there is more to be told. I look forward to hearing the results of the investigation. And even more so, I anticipate hearing what Dr. Gradous diagnosed and prescribed on the first visit. It sure would be logical, if Dr. Gradous indeed told him Po Po was beyond hope for recovery, that he would simply return to Dr. Gradous for the euthanasia.

dogmommy
dogmommy 05/22/10 - 10:47 pm
reading what is available

reading what is available

popodadie
popodadie 05/22/10 - 11:09 pm
Okay, I have read all your

Okay, I have read all your comments. At no time, has anyone other than the reporter who mis-stated, said that this was a "Drug Bust on a Meth Lab". I personally corrected her on that when I spoke to her on this issue. Secondly, the thing that is missing, the missing link, is that I have the utmost respect for Dr. Gradus? not sure if I spelled that right, but this man has more knowledge as a Vet, than any I have met in my lifetime. Closest second I ever met, is Doctor Charlie in Aiken.

My immediate reaction when I took PoPo to the vet on Thursday morning, was I thought he had been poisoned. No connection at that point had been made by anyone anywhere to anything in that residence. You conspiracy folks are gonna love this, but it is all yours, run with it as you will. I was asked to assist fellow officers on the service of a felony warrant, my job, PoPo's job, was the security of the officers present. There were other people than what was antiicipated at that residence. That is why I went in. I can only speak for myself, but my initial reaction when inside the residence, was that it was nasty in there, the smell was unreal. After the subjects were arrested, I took it upon myself and PoPo to clear the residence to make sure no one else was hiding. It was noted that the floors were wet and the smell was strong, but our focus was on possible bad guys. For all you police types on here, you know the rule of two's, you find one there is usually another. Be it a gun, a knife, or even bad guys. This was a FELONY scenario people, so we had our guard up for bad people.

That night, I did not stay at home, since you all have so many ideas about what I do or dont do, I will tell you, i stayed at my mothers house because she was just released from the hospital, and we (my wife and I) did not want her being alone taking pain meidcation after surgery. Check at Mckinneys wholesale, I had just purchased some cable to attach him to the fence in her back yard. He and I had never stayed there, it was sort of emergency conditions, and I was nervous about the set up, so I went out at ten to ten thirty to check on him, and he was oddly aggressive to me. I attributed that to new location, completely dark back yard (those who want to verify it is dark, meet me at WPD and you can go by at night, and I say this because you people amaze me with your inability to read and translate what is written into usable information). Nothing other than the aggressive behavior jumped out at me, and still at this point I nor anyone attributed anything to any substance at the earlier so called routine bust. The next am, I went out at 6 am, started my car, sounded my siren *you can verify with my mothers next door neighbor that i sounded the siren at 6 to 6:01 am, as I always did this to let PoPo know it was time to go to work. When I entered the back yard, he was doing the PoPo dance, excited and ready to go, until i went to take him off the cable, the aggression from the night before was back. Now before you start saying, wait a minute, it is still dark and you attributed it before to the dark, yes but not as dark, visibility was about 30 feet in that light. That is when I began to think, dammit i screwed up. I left him out in this yard, in this city, and he was poisoned. Now you will want to check with Dr. Gradus' office to find my arrival time, you will realize there is a delay in time. It took that long to get him tranquilized enough to pick up and transport.

Now Little Lamb, you screwed up. You went a bit too far with your comments, and you gave away some details that only someone at Gradus' office would know, so i now know who you are. For the attacks on character, I have retained an attorney. i dont need or want an attorney for any investigation, but Little lamb, it will be found out who you are. You are the very one who made the offensive comments in that office, i will bet. Remember?

There were other patients at that office that heard what was said, what the recommendations were, that saw me leave, come back, leave come back, sit in my car, call everyone I could think to call and ultimately come back in and ask them to sedate him enough for me to get him back home.

I sat with him at the kennel, until almost 4 am, hoping to see some light in those eyes that told me he was coming back. PoPo would have moments of absolute normal good ole PoPo, and then the aggression, and then he would stand there, shake and drool.

yes police dogs retire. PoPo was a highly controlled, very aggressive hard biting dog. Can you imagine the news, this reporter had I taken him home, kept him alive in that state, medicating him twice a day in attempts to control those siezures, only to have him possibly get ahold of someone? Here is how that healine would have read. OFFICER KEEPS VICIOUS MENTALLY DISTURBED DOG THAT HE KNEW COULD NOT BE CONTROLLED AND SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO BE IN CONTACT WITH ......you should be able to get the idea.

When speaking to the reporter, i told her that the only options I was given, was phenabarbitol or put him down. I never said that was from Dr. fords mouth. I went to Fords clinic for information in the decision process. Ford was busy, they allowed me to meet with another woman they told me was another Dr., in the room directly behind the door from the reception area to the treatment area. i told her what was going on, what the doc had told me, and she said she had worked with him for years, and that he was the most knowledgeable and trusted his opinion without any hesitation. All of that, coupled with no reaction no change, coupled with the knowledge that by the nature of the work we did, PoPo was trained to bite humans, and that control was no longer present, I MADE THE DECISION FOR MY DOG TO DO WHAT WAS BEST FOR HIM, THE PUBLIC AND MY FAMILY.

I DO NOT HAVE INSURANCE ON HIM, OR ANY OTHER DOG. I HAD A DOG READY ALWAYS, IN FACT I HAVE 3 DOGS TRAINED AND READY AT ALL TIMES. I HAVE NEVER BEEN COMPENSATED ONE PENNY FROM THE CITY OF WAYNESBORO FOR THE SERVICES THAT POPO PROVIDED. ALL MY EQUIPMENT, ALL MY TRAINING, AND MY DOG, THE CITY PAID FOURTY DOLLARS PER MONTH DOG FOOD FOR A DOG THAT ATE SOMETIMES DOUBLE THAT.

NOW THEY OR YALL WHOEVER HAVE THE RUMOR THAT POPO WAS EPILEPTIC AND I KNEW IT. BS. I IN SPEAKING TO DR. GRADUS, LIKE ANYONE IN MY POSITION, WAS GRABBING AT STRAWS, ASKING WHAT About THIS AND THAT. GRADUS TOLD ME THAT VETS WERE SEEING MORE AND MORE EPILEPSY IN EUROPEAN DOGS. WE HAD A TRAINING ACCIDENT WHERE POPO BIT ME, ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO (I SAY ABOUT BECAUSE I DONT REMEMBER, IT IS NOT AN EFFORT TO COVER UP THE INCIDENT OR TO SKEW THE TIME LINE, I JUST DIDNT GIVE A [filtered word] ENOUGH ABOUT IT TO REMEMBER WHEN IT WAS) I HAD TO HAVE STITCHES, LOTS OF BLOOD LOSS IT WAS RATHER NASTY. ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO, I HAD TO BE IN CITY COURT FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. I LEFT POPO IN THE CAR WITH THE AC RUNNING, AND WHEN I RETURNED HE EXHIBITED AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR. AFTER TAKING HIM OUT OF THE CAR HE WAS COMPLETELY NORMAL. I WENT TO FORDS CLINIC THAT DAY AND ASKED HER ABOUT IT, WHAT COULD CAUSE THAT, AND IT WAS ATTRIBUTED TO CARBON MONOXIDE. THAT DAY I WENT TO RAY ALLENS WEBSITE, THAT IS WWW.RAYALLEN.COM AND PRINTED OFF A CARBON MONOXIDE MONITOR AND AC CONTROLLER SYSTEM, AND PRESENTED THAT TO THE HIGHER UPS, TELLING THEM WE NEEDED IT FOR THE CAR. TO DATE, I DO NOT HAVE THAT EQUIPMENT ON MY CAR. I THEN PURCHASED A KENNEL CRATE SO THAT I COULD TAKE HIM IN THE PD WHEN I HAVE TO BE OUT OF THE CAR. AND YES, AFTER ALMOST A MONTH, THEY REPAID ME FOR THE CRATE.

BACK TO THE THOUGHT OF HIM BEING POISONED. A FELLOW OFFICER REMINDED ME, WHEN I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE WHO COULD OF, HOW COULD OF, AND HE SAID, WHAT ABOUT THAT HOUSE LAST NIGHT. SO THAT IS HOW THAT THOUGHT CAME UP THE NEXT DAY. I WENT TO GRADUS WITH THAT INFO, AND THAT IS WHERE THE CONVERSATION REGARDING POSSIBLE METH OR CHEMICALS INVOLVED CAME INTO PLAY. THE URINE WAS TESTED AND WAS NEGATIVE, AND THAT RULED OUT INGESTION OF METH, BUT DID NOT RULE OUT WALKING THROUGH CHEMICALS.

popo did not have on protective booties, because we were working patrol. Ask any of the investigators at the PD, I have walked him out of searches in houses, that were "routine" drug searches, due to filth and possible dangers to my dog. That left the officers and myself to have to do a hand over search of a house full of dog and cat [filtered word] and [filtered word]. Had I any indication that I was possibly placing my dog in danger, other than the "routine danger" he faced every day, I would have pulled him out. When we discovered a possible problem, again, we were in felony mode, and these expert officers that are speakin out here as canine experts, can tell you, it is always officer safety first.

So with all this said, I have said all I intend to say on this or any other public forum. You people are amazing, you read what someone else says, then opps, when you actually go back and read the original statement, you say dang, i missed that. Look how many times someone on here said Meth Lab, Meth lab bust, drug bust....never ever was said, never was part of it.

My last and only other personal dog I have kept (I have had thousands, literally, of kennel dogs but none that were my own) but my last "my dog" before PoPo lived with me until she was 18 years, and 6 months old. Call Highland Vet Clinic, see if they remember how many times I would show up to have her put down, and leave cause I couldnt. Ask the vet, if she remembers giving me the Quality of life speech, and Who is this dog living for, when I finally allowed her to be put down. All of that was going through my mind when I made the decision, again, TO PUT MY DOG DOWN.

So have at your theories. There is nothing but monetary loss in this for me. PoPo was never an issue of money for me, he was my buddy, he protected me at work, my family at home, and was quite possibly one of the best working dogs I have ever seen. He was on remote control. He is one that just got it. he knew who was bad out of a crowd, he found what they didnt want found, and he did all this bad [filtered word] stuff, and came home every day, to curl up with my 3 year old, to eat cookies from between the toes of my 6 and 8 year old, to get his back scratched by his favorite dispatcher, and to jump on the bed with my wife and bark and bark at me to stay off the bed. Yea, you sick people, I kiiled that. For what possible reason. I hope none of you ever face this type of arm chair quarterbacking, from people so willing to lie and distort, just for the fun of the conversation.

AMcKinney
AMcKinney 05/22/10 - 11:12 pm
Well FedupwithAUG - thanks

Well FedupwithAUG - thanks for yet another narrow-minded, unoriginal post. There was no scam, and Popo was only 2. Have you ever had a sick dog that had to be put down? Did you enjoy it? Bruce didn't, that's for sure. It's absolutely sickening that you would make a snap judgement based upon an article that should be retracted for defamation of character. Hell, at least Little Lamb is willing to wait for an investigation now (somewhat). Grow up will you? You can't believe everything you read. Officer Bruce Pettit is a wonderful, honorable man and a highly respected police officer. You should meet him sometime - you would only benefit from it.

popofan
popofan 05/22/10 - 11:16 pm
Integrity...I'm sorry you

Integrity...I'm sorry you came to that conclusion. How you came to it over something I posted is beyond me. When did I say PoPo had been aggressive prior to the incident? Please feel free to quote me so I can make the proper correction so you can understand that until the incident I had heard of no aggressive behavior form PoPo.

Fedup...a scam really. To put that much time money and effort into a dog just to replace him? As I said earlier, with the exception of dogmommy, none of you know what is involved with training, certification and handling of a K9 officer. Might as well accuse him of shooting his partner. And thats what you are doing.

AMcKinney
AMcKinney 05/22/10 - 11:40 pm
I hope every one of you . . .

I hope every one of you . . . . people . . . . read what Officer Pettit had to say. More than that, I hope you can sleep at night knowing that you made an already painful experience all the more excruciating with your ignorant, mean-spirited comments. It's hard to believe that in this day (and especially this period of time that we're in) that seemingly intelligent, well-read adults could be so vindictive. I will stress that you need to have all the facts - BOTH sides of the story, before you pass judgement on a very good man. A man that is dedicated to watching out for and protecting ALL of you - even the ones who, as Popofan puts it, are accusing him of "shooting his partner".

popofan
popofan 05/22/10 - 11:48 pm
Thank you AMcKinney.

Thank you AMcKinney.

IntegrityMatters
IntegrityMatters 05/23/10 - 08:27 am
@popofan - implied in the

@popofan - implied in the short amount of time this all took place in, but doesn't matter now, the officer gave examples of prior aggression. And perhaps that's the real story - seizures and aggression from carbon monoxide poisoning - not meth chemicals. That could make sense too. The reason so many people are into this story is that it doesn't make sense as told and you have two professionals calling each others word into question.
But now I find another mystery...If the lady vet is the one who has the problem with this (and I can't come up with any logical motive for her story)...why is the officer calling out someone from Dr. Gradous' office? I thought Gradous supported the officers story? Why would someone from his office be agitating too???

GiveMeTheScoop
GiveMeTheScoop 05/23/10 - 08:30 am
My vet the other day that

My vet the other day that this story sounded awfully fishy.

IntegrityMatters
IntegrityMatters 05/23/10 - 08:54 am
Just noticed something else.

Just noticed something else. Popodadie said "My immediate reaction when I took PoPo to the vet on Thursday morning, was I thought he had been poisoned."
The dog was put down early the next morning. Everyone has assumed two days of anti-seizure drugs, but that would mean less than 24 hours of them.

popofan
popofan 05/23/10 - 09:42 am
Integrity...as I asked and

Integrity...as I asked and you obviously cannot do, repost what I said that helps you come to your conclusion, Otherwise you seem to be a sad little person that just likes to stir the hornets nest.

dogmommy
dogmommy 05/23/10 - 10:25 am
i think i must have missed

i think i must have missed what officer said....i dont see anything?

dogmommy
dogmommy 05/23/10 - 10:25 am
did anyone pass the police

did anyone pass the police dog memorial on to officer pettit?

dogmommy
dogmommy 05/23/10 - 10:38 am
amc please dont say your

amc please dont say your fighting with everyone on here...not all of us are against the officer.....Im not.......in fact my heart does go out to him....all i am saying just something doesnt add up...vets side, his side... i dunno.....its al just very confusing to me..plus the fact of this being a small town how they do things soo differently...with every comment i see on here the story gets more different from each person....i think in a nut shell...maybe the media, has created it somehow i dont know....but the story needs to be the same version from everyone involved, but it doesnt seem that way...Ill have to say...and the fact all this happened in 2 days

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/23/10 - 12:53 pm
Am I the only one here who

Am I the only one here who believes that it is a conflict of interest for a government agency to award a contract for leasing of products or services from an employee of that very agency? I hope that the Waynesboro Police Department cancels any such lease agreements in existence now and will not enter into any such conflicts again.

dogmommy
dogmommy 05/23/10 - 01:11 pm
i just simply have never

i just simply have never heard of leasing a k9 dog before..period...but thing again i come from va beach, va area..the city buys and trains the dogs

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/23/10 - 01:39 pm
AMckinney writes..."I thought

AMckinney writes..."I thought the Augusta Chronicle only allowed "respectful conversation, not personal attacks or harassment of others"Can any of you IDIOTS say the same thing???Every single one of you - readers, reporters, vets, co-workers, and yes even his CHIEF should be ashamed of yourselves. How DARE you accuse him of such a heinous act of cruelty and greed?"

I'd like to thank her for taking the time to demonstrate what a properly respectful conversation with no personal attacks looks like.

167167 05/23/10 - 01:44 pm
Okay, late last night, the

Okay, late last night, the officer in question posted a lengthy explanation of how the events of Popo's death unfolded. At this time, however, that explanation has been deleted. Any insight as to why he chose to remove this explanation?

dogmommy
dogmommy 05/23/10 - 01:46 pm
i know...i never got to read

i know...i never got to read it

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/23/10 - 01:52 pm
167167, I saw it too and

167167, I saw it too and appreciated him giving a much more detailed version of the events which unfolded in the course of those few days. It was very informative. I speculate that his comment was removed by the AC because of some things that he felt that he had to say to another poster....

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/23/10 - 02:32 pm
On Saturday night, Azzy7

On Saturday night, Azzy7 posted:

The only question that needs to be addressed by any so called investigation, was what the 1st vet said.

Isn't it interesting that the first vet (Dr. Gradous) is wisely refusing to comment to the Chronicle reporter? So we have absolutely no first-hand knowledge about what he did or did not do or say. We have only Petitt's allegations about what Dr. Gradous did and said.

popofriend
popofriend 05/23/10 - 03:48 pm
To 167 , I spoke to the

To 167 , I spoke to the officer by phone and asked him if he took his post down. He told me no and that he was not aware that it was down. Apperantly the chronicle does not like to be called out when they get a story wrong and they took it down. As far as littlelamb is concerned if you have nothing good to say about a person keep it to yourself. This man is a good man.

dogmommy
dogmommy 05/23/10 - 04:53 pm
as far as little lamb

as far as little lamb goes...believe she has her right to express her opinions....and from what i see , like everyone she is mostly just trying to understand everything..whether we like what she says or not...its her right as it is all the rest of everyone to express her concerns...right or wrong..............after seeing and getting majorly confused from reading all the comments, i dont see where she has particular said anything directly negative about the officers..just in referrence to the actions of everyone...i honestly am so confused at this point......everyone seems to have their version of this and that....................hope everything gets resolved....for the officers sake for one.........no matter if he has done the right or wrong thing...Im sure he needs his time to mourne

167167 05/23/10 - 06:08 pm
Well, of everything others

Well, of everything others have said, I certainly don't think it fair that AC took his post down. After all, he is the one under investigation and should definitely have a chance to tell his side. Plus, it honestly led me to believe that he took it down because maybe he said too much or contradicted himself. Shame on AC if they took it down and led others to that same possible conclusion. The removal of the post almost made him seem more guilty, which certainly isn't fair if they took it down. I truly want to believe that he had the dog's best interest at heart. I truly hope that he is cleared. Otherwise, I will think him a very dishonest, manipulative.....person. Again, though, I hope that he did the right thing for the dog, and as he said in his post, all involved (for safety reasons). Bruce Gradous is my hero, and if he would speak, I would know for sure my feelings on the matter. However, he's a very smart man, so if he isn't speaking, he has his reasons. If he indeed recommended PoPo be put down, I believe the officer did the right thing. Of course, we may never know what his recommendation was.

Oh, I was also confused as to whether the officer was "calling out" a member of Gradous's staff or another client who happened to be in the office. He was unclear as to his comments were referring. He seems to think that Little Lamb was in that office that day, but I'm not sure if he thinks her to be a staff member or a client. PoPo friend?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/23/10 - 07:04 pm
There are several issues that

There are several issues that connect in some way, but are independent in the final analyis. Several posters wonder whether Officer Petitt made the "right" decision regarding his demand of Dr. Ford for euthanasia. This is a matter of judgement. There is no absolute right or wrong here. The pet belonged to Officer Petitt and he had his right to demand euthanasia.

My concern is the statement Officer Petitt made to the press and to those persons attending the memorial service that Po Po stepped in dangerous chemicals at a residence that served as a meth lab, and that after licking his paws or having the chemicals absorbed through the skin, the chemicals caused such violent and frequent seizures that the animal had to be put down within only one or two days.

Something is fishy here.

What is the address of the residence where the dangerous chemicals were? Can Officer Petitt provide the name of a single chemical that Po Po stepped in?

Police reports are public records. I'm sure the Waynesboro Police Department will provide the reports to the reporters of the Chronicle and the True Citizen. I hope the officers took samples of the chemical powders on the floor. I hope the officers brought the cans and bottles and drums of chemicals back to the police department so that the chemicals could be categorized. Something does not ring true about the chemical story.

I hope the Waynesboro Police Department asks for a GBI chemical expert to come and examine the evidence collected from the residence that Po Po "cleared." But I know such a complete investigation will require months to complete.

30cal
30cal 05/23/10 - 07:33 pm
One of 3 people is not

One of 3 people is not telling all a fine young dog lost his LIFE . All most of us want is the TRUTH .childish name calling and rude comments will not make the bad smell go away .I believe 3 statements might but not sure .

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/23/10 - 07:58 pm
This has been a very

This has been a very interesting topic to follow. Its been full of interesting speculation, heated emotional testimonials and very good explanation of events by the dog's handler. I wish that he'd left off the last couple paragraphs because I believe that was what was the likely cause of the comment being removed.

He carefully outlined the events prior to, during and after the incident and why it shaped his decision to have PoPo put down. By his words he convinced me that there was only loss and no profit, his decision was not lightly made and that it was a responsible choice.

Perhaps he will consider editing it just a bit and repost his comment again so everybody can see it?

dogmommy
dogmommy 05/23/10 - 08:14 pm
bottom line..it does warrent

bottom line..it does warrent investigation without a doubt..someone somewhere isnt telling the truth!!!...but there has been alot of comments on here...and none of them were taken down..i even mentioned something about the media being the cause of this...they didnt take mine down...........the officer could have been advised to take it down...at this point...who knows what...all i know is, there is a chance this sweet young dog may not have been needed to be put down....that is what is in question here.......and the truth needs to be found out!

dogmommy
dogmommy 05/23/10 - 08:17 pm
but just a comment to your

but just a comment to your comment lamb....I personally dont believe ANYONE should ever have the right to put a perfectly healthy animal down..i dont believe that should be anyones right..my honest opinion that should only be God...

AMcKinney
AMcKinney 05/23/10 - 08:17 pm
Rolling Eyes - those comments

Rolling Eyes - those comments that I made in much earlier posts were directed toward people who were determined to make Officer Pettit out to be an evil, money-hungry, cold-hearted dog killer. I admitted (to Little Lamb quite a while ago) that I reacted badly because I know the character of this man far better than any of you would. I will NOT continue to apologize for it, because at the time that is how I felt. I will however continue to vehemently defend him - which is also my right as someone who knows him, loves him, and respects him, and as an American Citizen. If you would read the statements made above, you would see that the majority of the comments are extremely negative and hurtful towards someone who absolutely does NOT deserve it. How would YOU feel if it was someone close to YOU in this situation? You'd be just as upset and angry, I promise. You would be just as vocal as well - you've proved that in your pointless attack on me, when AT THE TIME I was the ONLY person on here defending him. I'm very grateful that you got to read his post before it was taken off of here - I wish that more people had. If there is anyway that you can meet him - I don't know if you live close enough or not - I would urge you to. I would urge you to ask around about him. He's a good man, a good father and husband, a good officer - and he doesn't deserve what he's getting on here. Thank you.

Ex-SC Gov. Edwards dies

CHARLESTON, S.C. - James B. Edwards, South Carolina's first Republican governor since Reconstruction and later energy secretary for two years in the Reagan administration, has died.