Rants & Raves

Rant for the 9-to-5 police investigators in Richmond County. How can you solve a crime or catch any criminal if after 5 p.m. there is only an answering machine? Do the bad guys only work banker's hours? And yes, I did call dispatch. I was asked if my call was an emergency. What crime isn't an emergency?

Bravo to the plans to reuse those older buildings on VA property for the homeless vets. Those buildings should never have been just sitting there, breaking down. And our vets, homeless and otherwise, ought to be better helped for all they did in risking life and limb for our country.

Too bad people are so ignorant or foolish to waste time yapping about not being able to control our president in his travels. These complainers never said a peep about how much Bush traveled.

This is a rave for the Augusta Players production of Annie! They were amazing. It's great to have such a quality community theater in Augusta. Debbie Ballas does such great work with our local talent and is to be commended.

Rant for Staff Writer Mike Wynn. "Free Money." Is that how you really see my tax money? The Sunday article about Augusta not being counted in the Census quotes Paine College historian Mallory Millender as saying, "This is free money to us." He goes on to say: "It's a chance to make a financial contribution without coming out of your own pockets." Tax money comes out of the pocket of taxpayers regardless of where it is spent. This "free money" attitude is a large part of our nation's financial problem.

All these budget cuts in education are hurting everyone. How are teachers going to live with cuts to their income? How do you expect teachers to continue doing everything they have to do plus teach a class when you make it easier to have them switch fields because of continuous salary cuts?

corgimom
corgimom 05/07/10 - 12:38 am
"I feel we should be able to

"I feel we should be able to hire a local qualified person to lead our board of education. Surely Dr. Wayne Frazier is the most qualified considering all the successes he's had with every single school he's led. If he has some reason not to wish for the position, Dr. Frazier should be the top person to judge the candidates."

Being the principal of a school does not give the experience necessary to be a superintendent of a school system, and why would anyone think it would?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/07/10 - 03:14 am
Interestingly, recent studies

Interestingly, recent studies have shown that the size of the ozone hole affects the global temperature. Closing the ozone hole actually speeds up the melting of the polar ice caps, according to a 2009 study from Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research.

So now we have the answer to global warming!!!

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/07/10 - 03:16 am
How is Mike Wynn to be blamed

How is Mike Wynn to be blamed for what Mallory Millender said? I don't understand this rant at all. A reporter's responsibility is to report the facts.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/07/10 - 03:22 am
Good Morning Awguster!!! Now

Good Morning Awguster!!!

Now for my biggest rant of the day. It seems some students in California wore t-shirts and shorts adorned with the American Flag to school on 5 May. Said students were sent home because their dress offended Mexican students. If the American flag offends you that much, get the hell out of my country!!!

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/07/10 - 04:20 am
Only crimes where life or

Only crimes where life or limb are in danger constitute an emergency...if you had a burglary and the perp is gone...not an emergency...if your purse is snatched and they got away, not an emergency...if a dog crossing the hwy causes an accident and the humans are okay, not an emergency...unless the vehicle blocks moving traffic and is too damaged to be pushed aside....are we coming to understand what an emergency is? There are lots of crimes that are not emergencies....if the perp is armed and threatens your life...emergency! Get it?
RCBOE Super could be Dr Frazier if he has the background running a district or the public admin hours in his post grad degree...but just cuz you like him ain't enough...there are standards to apply in the selection process...
Seems like I recall Bush hiding from Katrina victims by flying by w/o landing...hiding in the Mtns...at Camp David...flew all over the place...wasted lots of money making bedroom deals w the enemies...just like Obama is accused of...so shut up with your idiotic comments...it's natural to criticize someone you don't like, are jealous of, and despise becuz of you being a sore loser...
Theatre, the kind of thing one loves to hate...if you are a writer.
Money is never free..to use the term to mean something un-earned or to describe a gift would indeed be free to the one who receives it, but in truth all things of value cost something to someone...nothing is ever w/o value...and money, no matter how inflated, still gives a value by which we measure its worth.
Teachers choose a thankless and unrewarding profession and so we let them go on doing so w/o our support..now that they need our help, we can't, because we haven't prepared the workplace or budgeted enough to cover inflation in order to secure those positions..now we have to let them suffer, and in turn our children suffer and thus the dumbing down of America continues as it has now these last 50 yrs...good luck children, you're gonna need it.
Finally, I don't see why vets don't get top medical and housing when they need it..why is it they are considered so dispensable...folks, w/o their service there is no America....what we need is to restrain our troops closer to home, improve the fort housing and give them pay vouchers to offset them living off base, and NEVER should any be homeless....some of these gov't moochers and scammers should be forced into military service to repay the expense they have already cost taxpayers so that those brave enough to volunteer would not have to repeat their duty so often...let's give heroes the proper care and welcome and show them the right gratitude for fighting to preserve our freedoms...while I abhor war and death by killing, I also abhor neglecting those who deserve our care and respect because they were brave enough to be willing to die so I could enjoy how I live...every true American should feel the same and the term homeless vet will cease to exist.
Kudos to the soldiers whose morale is so good they produced an internationally popular youtube video that swept the Internet...may other freedom fighters catch the positive attitude and find success in capturing and or killing the ones who have declared war on Americans so we can bring our kids home and end the senseless religious wars...God doesn't need us to defend him, no matter what name you give Him...He is most capable of defending Himself.
HOLD that thought..declare out loud w me: "This is the day the Lord has made, I will be glad and rejoice in it." Now, doesn't that make your confidence soar like the eagle's? For out of the mouth comes what is in a man's heart...GOT FAITH? I know I do...lots of almosts and maybes but nothing solid yet...so I keep hoping and knocking and seeking....and working so my time can bear good fruit...when you get in a rut, get out the shovel and start digging out...God won't do for us what we can do for ourselves...Ya'll play nice, have fun, keep your money tight today cuz the mkt don't look any better today than yesterday...and pray like it was another yesterday so God can release the blessings He desires to bestow on those He has chosen. Puff...inhale...hold...release...repeat as needed....G'day.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/07/10 - 04:20 am
I want to get a vending

I want to get a vending machine, with fun sized candy bars, and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg

w00t!

Trouble
Trouble 05/07/10 - 05:08 am
morning all

morning all

bettyboop
bettyboop 05/07/10 - 05:35 am
What is even more offensive

What is even more offensive is that the students actually went home and let the loonies tell them that the American flag was offensive...shame on the parents who did not fight back.....there is a time coming when we tax paying American citizens must stand up and fight back with everything we have.......NOW

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/07/10 - 05:38 am
I have the perfect avatar to

I have the perfect avatar to illustrate this Cinco De Mayo patriotic shirt fiasco, but in the spirit of community peace, I'll refrain from putting it up (for now).

kobeistheman
kobeistheman 05/07/10 - 08:39 pm
AS A TEACHER IN RCBOE FOR 15

AS A TEACHER IN RCBOE FOR 15 YEARS AT A LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL, IVE WON EVERY AWARD IMAGINABLE, SENT KIDS ONTO COLLEGE IN AN AREA NOT KNOWN AS ACADEMIA INSTITUTE AND HAD HIGH CRCT RESULTS YEARLY. YET THE DOCTOR THINKS I NEED INSTRUCTIONAL COACHES, INTERVENTION SPECIALISTS AND TEACHERS ON SPECIAL ASSIGNMENT TO GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO TEACH L.A. I KNOW MORE THAN MOST OF THESE PPL, SOME OF WHOM GIVE SUGGESTIONS WITHOUT FACTS AND WITHOUT KNOWING HOW OUR CLASSROOMS WORK. ONCE AGAIN SPENDING MONEY IN THE NAME OF PROGRESS. EYE HUGS AND MILLIONS SPENT-

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/07/10 - 06:13 am
Oh brother, if I were an

Oh brother, if I were an actual Richmond County educator, I'd be a tad "miffed" by kobe's post. Hope y'all can find "it" and deal with "it".

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 05/07/10 - 06:51 am
Reminds me of the "monster

Reminds me of the "monster shouter" in The Stand, by Stephen King.
Happy Friday, all you lower case users. Do it to them, before they do it to you.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 05/07/10 - 06:55 am
kobe, does the list of "IVE

kobe, does the list of "IVE WON EVERY AWARD IMAGINABLE" include the "hollerin' contest" ?

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 05/07/10 - 07:05 am
As a high school teacher in

As a high school teacher in the RCS for 15 years, I’ve won almost every award imaginable, sent kids to college against the odds and maintain high CRCT test results.

Yet, Dr. Furlough thinks I need instructional coaches, intervention specialists, and teachers on special assignment to tell me how to teach language arts. (rofl) Though I cannot grasp the concept of lower case letters, I feel I know more than most of these people, who give suggestions with no experience to back them up.

Once again, just throwing money at a failing system, in the name of “progress”.
Eye (?) hugs and millions spent- sounds like Obama’s change.

This is how it would look if you really taught language arts

willienelson
willienelson 05/07/10 - 07:06 am
This prayer is for Zoe. I

This prayer is for Zoe. I hope her head continues to improve. If I can do anything to help....

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/07/10 - 07:06 am
KBITM....WHY DO YOU INSIST ON

KBITM....WHY DO YOU INSIST ON POSTING A REPEAT MSG DAILY THROUGHOUT THE FORUMS? WHY MUST YOU SHOUT?.Tone it down to your inside voice please and say something new or consider yourself shunned...

willienelson
willienelson 05/07/10 - 07:08 am
I'm here for you, girl

I'm here for you, girl

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/07/10 - 07:09 am
Eye-hugs: A visual glance

Eye-hugs: A visual glance indicating affection....

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/07/10 - 07:10 am
Often an 'eye-hug' is a

Often an 'eye-hug' is a non-verbal tool used to mock or persuade depending on the context in which it is used...

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 05/07/10 - 07:12 am
Well I guess I learned a new

Well I guess I learned a new phrase today. Aye'll put it in the file.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 05/07/10 - 07:13 am
Do Eye hugs lead to Eye sex?

Do Eye hugs lead to Eye sex? Will this lead to a orbital population explosion? Who will support the illegitimate eye children?
Blame Bush

cristinadh
cristinadh 05/07/10 - 07:15 am
OMG!!!!.. Educators are

OMG!!!!.. Educators are underpaid.. yet my taxes are paying for that!!!.. no wonder these kids can't speak well or for that matter write well!!.. but I guess in the future if you guys want it your way.. someone has to work at mcdonald's or burger king!!

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 05/07/10 - 07:16 am
I believe they fire you at BK

I believe they fire you at BK or McD's for shouting at the customers. Access DENIED!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/07/10 - 07:28 am
Eye hugs to all my favorite

Eye hugs to all my favorite ladies this morning.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 05/07/10 - 07:36 am
dear ranter#2-the school

dear ranter#2-the school board's emphasis is not and hasn't been on education in quite some time. so by getting people wiht the same mindset about education as dr. frazier would expose the ineptitude, mismanagment and downright incompetence that exsist on the school board now. chances are dr. fraize and his kind would follow the recommendatiosn given a long time ago and close some schools including the "sacred" high schools, he would expel all of the "dead-weight, disruptive, disrespestful and violent students that current exist and finaly reinstitute high academic expectations while mandating parental involvement this will then lead to a large drop in enrollment levels causing a temporary loss of state/federal funding lasting only until the realization occurs by the parents who children are attending schools in other counties how good the schools in richmond county have become and you will see a slow but steady "re-migration" back to richmond county. until that happens our current school board will continue with the status quo what the main goal of qualifying for federal funding that encourages "bad" or poorly performing schools to continue to do so, thusly continued low test scores, academic achievement, low graduation rates and failure to meet ayp...these will continue to happen until one or tow thinks occur the state comes in and takes over the school district or richmond county loses its accreditation

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/10 - 07:40 am
Hugs right back to you

Hugs right back to you Roadkill.....just read that scientists have linked neanderthals with humans....seems they interbred many years ago....well that explains some folks on here....Good AM CSRA & all the sweet honeybees that I do love so.

bettyboop
bettyboop 05/07/10 - 07:44 am
eye hug...well I'll be

eye hug...well I'll be darned...have to say thats the first time in a looog time I have heard something I haven't heard before!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/10 - 07:46 am
betty... I guess it's kin to

betty... I guess it's kin to the bear hug,, except a little higher. :-)

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/10 - 07:49 am
It was soo nice to see Sean

It was soo nice to see Sean come out of hiding last night.....now maybe we won't have INNOCENT posts removed everyday.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/10 - 07:59 am
Roadkill ...can you use your

Roadkill ...can you use your amazing skills & get Elvis singing Dixie on here....seems everyone wants to bash either the American flag or the Rebel flag today...funny how the very ones DEMANDING their rights don't want others to have ANY rights!!imho

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...