Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

Note to the member of the "moocher class" who doesn't understand the outrage of the Tea Party movement. We won't opt out of our Medicare entitlements because we bought and paid for them with a lifetime of hard work and contributions from our paychecks. If it wasn't for the mostly white, old people that make up most of the Tea Party, people like you would not be able to sit on your duff, collect money for work you never did.

Since the Richmond County Board of Education Transportation Department doesn't seem able to control its bus drivers, who can? I've complained too many times to count about a bus on Highway 56. This morning he held up four lanes of traffic to wait for one lazy, self-centered high school girl to come out of the house and leisurely stroll down the driveway while on her cell phone to get to the bus. Why did he wait? She should have been there waiting for him. That's not the worst of it. This morning, as is the case most mornings, another bus passed me on Highway 56. I was going almost 65. The speed limit is 55.

Regent Felton Jenkins says we must reorganize the MCG system. Then he says, "Maybe there were personality conflicts." Personality conflicts aren't caused by the system. They're caused by different personalities. What the heck is going on with all this sudden "we've gotta change everything" stuff? Somebody's playing a game. And when somebody's playing a big-money game, is somebody just looking for more dictatorial power?

Meth labs seem to be popping up everywhere and simply go ignored - that is until a pawnshop owner is murdered by the druggies. Why does someone have to be killed in cold blood for authorities to take action?

Dieway 56 needs to be fixed now! If the permanent solution (widening) cannot happen for several more years, at least some temporary fixes could be done in the meantime. Deceleration lanes (right turn lanes) could be added for all intersections; flashing overhead lights (or even actual traffic signals) could be added at accident-prone intersections; warning signs could be added to warn drivers to prepare to stop for traffic ahead of them making turns.

All of the RAVES extolling the wonderful job Obama and the progressive liberals are doing in D.C. are concrete examples of the fact that we as educators have failed miserably to teach critical thinking skills.

I am a teacher. With the lack of a step increase and the furlough days, I made less this year than last year. Yet I paid more federal taxes this year than last year. Tell me again how Obama is helping the little people. I still haven't figured that out.

Tell us what you think
Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/27/10 - 12:26 am
"I was going almost 65. The

"I was going almost 65. The speed limit is 55."

Self-identifying is a noble trait. Your citation is in the mail. Thank you for contributing!

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/27/10 - 01:38 am
This is the teaser snippet

This is the teaser snippet that appears on the Metro page under the Rants and Raves banner:

"Why does someone have to be killed in cold blood for authorities to take action?"

Okay, AC, where is that Rant/Rave?

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 04/27/10 - 01:42 am
Aderholt and other members of

Aderholt and other members of Congress have spoken out against a ruling by a federal judge in Wisconsin that found the National Day of Prayer first authorized by President Harry Truman to be unconstitutional.

President Barack Obama has said his administration will appeal the ruling. On Sunday, he demonstrated his personal respect for the importance of prayer by visiting and praying with ailing evangelist and presidential adviser Billy Graham at his North Carolina home. Franklin Graham, Billy's son, was also at the meeting.

Since it isn't often I can thank our President for his actions, I would like to thank President Obama at this time and appreciate his efforts as well as that of the administration to support what this country was founded upon. Seperation of Church and state has been allowed to go extremely past what was origionally meant.

Separation of church and state defined - idea that the government and religion should be separate, and not interfere in each other's affairs. In the United States, this idea is based on the First Amendment to the US Constitution, which states that the government cannot make any laws to establish a religion or prohibit the free exercise of religion. While the first part has been carried to far, the second part has been largely ignored in many areas.

"The US can not make any laws to establish a religion" has been carried so much further than the constitution mentions. Simply having prayer, the ten comandments posted, etc. does not in any way, shape or form establish a state or government sponsored religion and on this issue, President Obama has it right.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 04/27/10 - 01:44 am
Trev....Meth Labs Seem to be

Trev....Meth Labs Seem to be popping up....

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/27/10 - 02:09 am
Asitis - Thanks. I just

Asitis - Thanks. I just thought the text under the "section banner" should be part of that section. I guess I need to start thinking outside of the box.

Rants & Raves

In case nobody has told you yet today, thank you and yours for your dedicated service and keeping us safe. Your (pl) efforts are greatly appreciated!

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/27/10 - 02:54 am
It's rather quiet on the

It's rather quiet on the public safety radio frequencies tonight. Is Monday night/Tuesday morning the recovery period for the hood during the NFL off-season?

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/27/10 - 03:39 am
Here ya go, CG -

Here ya go, CG -

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., April 27 (UPI) -- Elderly study participants with the highest levels of vitamin D had better physical function and mobility than others, U.S. researchers found.

Dr. Denise Houston of the Sticht Center on Aging at Wake Forest University and colleagues studied vitamin D status and physical function in a group of relatively healthy seniors, mean age 75, in Memphis and Pittsburgh.

The study tracked 2,788 seniors for four years and assessed vitamin D status by analyzing each person's blood for 25-hydroxyvitamin D -- a precursor activated vitamin D.

The researchers looked at how quickly each participant could walk a short distance about, six yards, and rise from a chair five times, as well as balance tests.

The study found physical function declined during the study period, but it remained significantly higher among those with the highest vitamin D levels at the beginning of the study.

However, Houston said it is possible those with better physical function had higher vitamin D because they were able to go outside more often and get the vitamin through exposure to sunshine.

The findings were presented at the American Society for Nutrition at the Experimental Biology meeting in Anaheim, Calif.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/27/10 - 03:53 am
Can't sleep......dog jumped

Can't sleep......dog jumped on me in bed...I guess he knows he's going f/shots today....Thanks for the vitamin D report....guess that explains why the islanders are so happy & healthy..I hope we have a calm day today....I notice that sheriff from Arizona was on Larry King last night.. Al Sharpton debated him about the new law...WHAT A JOKE...We all show ID everytime we vote,,or drive & get stopped by police..zzzzzzz

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/27/10 - 03:59 am
OMG...the new avatar popped

OMG...the new avatar popped up...speechless...more coffee needed now.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/27/10 - 04:00 am
On this date in 1865, the

On this date in 1865, the steamship Sultana, heavily overloaded with an estimated 2,300 passengers, most of them Union soldiers en route home, exploded on the Mississippi River just north of Memphis. The death toll in the worst maritime disaster in U.S. history was set at 1,450.

It was Bush's fault!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/27/10 - 04:06 am
Good add for the Blues

Good add for the Blues Festival May 15th...Little Feat..

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/27/10 - 04:11 am
Hey, at least today's avatar

Hey, at least today's avatar doesn't have a representation of the American flag on it. I hope you clicked my profile page to truly appreciate it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/27/10 - 04:18 am
I see the broken record on

I see the broken record on your page.....yes this avatar is outstanding.

Johnny Rotten
Johnny Rotten 04/27/10 - 04:20 am
Our government... teaches the

Our government... teaches the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy.

- Louis D. Brandeis

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 04/27/10 - 04:20 am
Morning...nothing intelligent

Morning...nothing intelligent to say...G'day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/27/10 - 04:21 am
Good AM Zeno....you always

Good AM Zeno....you always have something smart to say...

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 04/27/10 - 04:25 am
being a smarty-pants is not

being a smarty-pants is not the same as speaking w intelligence...although one can't usually be found w/o the other..but which one?

Trouble
Trouble 04/27/10 - 04:25 am
morning all.............

morning all.............

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/27/10 - 04:27 am
Zeno ... What time do U get

Zeno ... What time do U get to sleep at night?? I notice you are always an early riser.. not that's any of my business...but just wondering.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/27/10 - 04:28 am
Hi Trouble....I know you are

Hi Trouble....I know you are getting ready f/work ..so good reason to be up at 415am..

Trouble
Trouble 04/27/10 - 04:31 am
seenit, nothing good about

seenit, nothing good about work........lol

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 04/27/10 - 04:31 am
I usually beat the 420

I usually beat the 420 alarm....sometimes by mins, sometimes by hrs...but some days I go to sleep latte and miss sunrise....not to be confused w mrs sunrise...

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/27/10 - 04:34 am
I know Trouble....I had to

I know Trouble....I had to work a 6am-3pm shift w/Bell Co. & no fun at 430am... but I loved the 3pm part. :o)

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 04/27/10 - 04:36 am
the key to long periods of

the key to long periods of awake-ness is the afternoon nap...not a long one..you'd be amazed what a 15-miin shutdown will do to extend your energy the remainder of the day/eve...most nights I miss the 11pm news and there are days I miss prime time...but usually I sleep in 3-4 hr sets and the body does the resting....

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/27/10 - 04:37 am
Didn't always work early

Didn't always work early though....loved the late shift the best...4-12am

Trouble
Trouble 04/27/10 - 04:37 am
seenit, if you hit the

seenit, if you hit the refresh when viewing trey's profile page, the avatar will update to the current one

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/27/10 - 04:38 am
Sleeping through the TV news

Sleeping through the TV news is not necessarily a bad thing.

Trouble
Trouble 04/27/10 - 04:38 am
i like the 4-12 in the

i like the 4-12 in the mornings, hate the 4 part, loved the 12 part, but they wont let me work that shift anymore........

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 04/27/10 - 04:40 am
Trouble ...there is one small

Trouble ...there is one small thing good about work...the paycheck.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 04/27/10 - 04:41 am
I need to go check my deer

I need to go check my deer traps...(not really)...