Mickelson's order excites Krispy Kreme staff

Angel Burley knew from the player's pass on the windshield that a golfer was coming to her drive-through window at Krispy Kreme Doughnuts on Washington Road. It wasn't until she saw the green jacket that she realized who he was.

Phil Mickelson: 2010 Masters Tournament champion made a quick trip to Krispy Kreme Doughnuts on Monday.
  Krispy Kreme photo/ Greg Carswell
Krispy Kreme photo/ Greg Carswell

Burley, a worker at the store, said she peered out of the window Monday to find a smiling Phil Mickelson and his daughter.

"When I opened the window I see the green jacket," Burley said. "I said: 'You won yesterday,' and he started smiling and said, 'Yeah.' "

Burley said she recognized him because her boyfriend made her watch the tournament Sunday.

Mickelson ordered a dozen each of glazed, chocolate and mixed donuts, she said. Burley said she and her co-workers snapped photos of the Masters Tournament champion before handing over his order.

Greg Carswell, the manager of the store, took a photo and gave the champ the doughnuts for free.

"He was humble," Carswell said. "You would think it was just a regular day for him."

Burley said it was no surprise to see golfers at the store. All week, they had been stopping by.

When she first saw the Mercedes on Monday, Burley thought it was another green jacket wearer.

"I thought it was Fuzzy (Zoeller) coming back through," she said.

Teacher picked to go to academy

Virginia Stephens, a teacher of gifted pupils at River Ridge Elementary School, has won one of 200 spots at the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy in New York this summer.

Phil and Amy Mickelson started the academy with the help of ExxonMobil, the National Science Teachers Association and Math Solutions to provide teachers with interactive teaching tools.

"They're going to teach us updated teaching techniques for math and science," Stephens said.

She was nominated by her son, Will, a fifth-grader at River Ridge, who was one of her students last year.

deekster
deekster 04/14/10 - 04:06 am
If I remember correctly,

If I remember correctly, "The Green Jackets" are only worn at the Augusta National. Even the "members" do not take them home. Please correct me if that has changed.

deekster
deekster 04/14/10 - 04:07 am
The Boardmans gave Deke a

The Boardmans gave Deke a "replica Green Jacket" along with the "mayoral job".

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/14/10 - 04:37 am
deek, I don't think that's

deek, I don't think that's exactly correct about the green jacket. From what I remember, the winner is able to wear it off the course the next few days or just alittle longer. I believe it is supposed to be returned after some short period of time. I think this is pretty cool that he was wearing it while driving around for the benefit of his children. And I'm sure he knew this would be a thrill for the folks at Krispy Kreme. Good little human interest story. I'm glad the folks at KK shared it with us.

curly123053
curly123053 04/14/10 - 07:58 am
I think this story says a lot

I think this story says a lot about his character.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 04/14/10 - 10:28 am
Tournament winners get to

Tournament winners get to take the jacket home for one year after they win and then they must bring it back to the course the following year. When they bring it back it gets stored at the course. Find someone who has a spectator guide from any year and it says the rules about the jacket in there.

judgeandjury
judgeandjury 04/14/10 - 01:02 pm
Deke's daddy was a member of

Deke's daddy was a member of the National. He passed away a year or two ago.

joekm46
joekm46 04/15/10 - 02:57 am
Mr. Mickelson is one of the

Mr. Mickelson is one of the most deserving golfers to ever wear the green jacket, not only does his public persona reflect a loving husband, father and gentelman he is a pretty good golfer as well. His positive attitude amazed me in 2006 when I was able to attend the tournament for only the second time in my life. It was great to see him win that year too. Congratulations Phil on your 2010 Masters win! Thanks for sharing this story Angel! Love those Krispy Kreme dognuts too!!