Rants & Raves

I would like to know how the Easter Bunny and colored eggs are associated with Christianity.

We know Tiger is going to play here, but is he the only golfer who will be in Augusta? You would think so.

Columbia County needs to provide pre-K to all children who want the public school experience or get out of the pre-K business. The way it is done is discrimination at its worst. There are many neighborhoods who don't have adequate pre-K schools. You should look to Burke County for a good example. They are providing pre-K for all kids who want to be in a public school.

I have a Rave for the Merriwether Volunteer Fire Department. They are awesome. They responded Sunday night to the tornado calls. In my opinion, they went above and beyond their duty. My ex-husband's house got heavily damaged on Wild Life Trail in the Deer Springs subdivision. They removed what they could of the tree that went through his roof, then they tarped the roof. Some of them even returned on Monday and one heard him say he needed to go get more tarp for one end of the house. He called and a couple more volunteers came out with more tarp, and really covered the areas that needed covering.

Why is it hate speech for a Republican to speak out but exercising your First Amendment right when a Democrat speaks out?

Monday's cartoon showing Fidel Castro giving advice to the American government was a new editorial low for The Chronicle, especially considering the current climate of hatred being foisted off on Americans. This administration will not torture dissidents; however, like all other Americans, politicians have a right to complain about being threatened. As a taxpayer, I demand that the authorities go after today's anarchistic fools who issue death threats (both real and veiled), commit vandalism and assault and make deliberately seditious statements.

Aiken leaders are working again on the "city's strategic plan." Ain't it amazing that Aiken became a first class town by just letting individuals make their own decisions about where to start a store, where to put a school (originally schools weren't public), where to build a house. This modern "planning" is actually just a method for a few elitists to grab power.

Obama announces more off-shore oil drilling. But he limits it to certain areas. Look behind the scenes and see which companies and individuals will rake in the big bucks, and which won't. Obama wouldn't make such a move without a political payoff.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/03/10 - 12:14 am
Obama authorized

Obama authorized "exploration". Until I see some refineries being approved and constructed, I'll treat his latest empty words as all of his other ones.

usafvet
usafvet 04/03/10 - 12:39 am
I hope countyman is out

I hope countyman is out tonight enjoying 1st Friday in Augusta. Sounds like Richmond County Law enforcement is having quite a night. Most of what I'm hearing reinforces my thoughts that downtown Augusta is no place for this old country boy to be, even with the support of my Italian friend, Beretta. Maybe if countyman avoids being a statistic, he can reiterate tomorrow how safe Augusta is.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/03/10 - 12:57 am
usafvet - I'm listening too

usafvet - I'm listening too (of course). It's "something" isn't it?

KSL 04/03/10 - 12:59 am
Trey, that whole move by the

Trey, that whole move by the 0 is smoke and mirrors.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/03/10 - 12:59 am
I'm not the one you have to

I'm not the one you have to convince, hon. I can assure you of that.

KSL 04/03/10 - 01:02 am
I know that. What's that

I know that. What's that website for listening to what is going on?

KSL 04/03/10 - 01:07 am
Can Aye make the donkey's

Can Aye make the donkey's ears get longer every time the zero tells a lie?

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/03/10 - 01:07 am
www.scanaugusta.net It also

www.scanaugusta.net

It also has Aiken County and North Augusta

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/03/10 - 01:10 am
KSL - I handle the graphic

KSL - I handle the graphic art part of our association....but I'm not sure on that one. We are limited to file size restrictions on avatars. I think the ears would soon outgrow the limits! ;-)

KSL 04/03/10 - 01:10 am
Thanks.

Thanks.

KSL 04/03/10 - 01:13 am
Of course they would. But I

Of course they would. But I sure would like to see them curling around the outside of posting box.

KSL 04/03/10 - 01:14 am
Like some comments do.

Like some comments do.

KSL 04/03/10 - 01:14 am
On the discussion page.

On the discussion page.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/03/10 - 01:16 am
Sean created a BS-Blog in

Sean created a BS-Blog in case y'all are unaware. I'll keep my comedy routine here unless forced to use it. But it is there.

KSL 04/03/10 - 01:30 am
Have you gotten him to agree

Have you gotten him to agree to visit the porch?

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/03/10 - 01:31 am
The jury is still

The jury is still deliberating.....the denizens aren't sure it's a good idea.

KSL 04/03/10 - 01:34 am
I don't know why. I think he

I don't know why. I think he is fair and balanced, to borrow an over used expression.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/03/10 - 01:35 am
We are worried about HIS

We are worried about HIS welfare, not ours.

KSL 04/03/10 - 01:36 am
How so?

How so?

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/03/10 - 01:37 am
Oh hush, get the joke or go

Oh hush, get the joke or go to bed.

KSL 04/03/10 - 01:37 am
Where he eats his lunch or

Where he eats his lunch or whatever should be his concern.

KSL 04/03/10 - 01:40 am
Maybe it is you who needs to

Maybe it is you who needs to know when the joke is being turned.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/03/10 - 01:43 am
Does anybody remember the PSA

Does anybody remember the PSA (Public Service Advertisement) from years ago that said:

"If you have to drink to be social, it's not social drinking"

KSL 04/03/10 - 02:02 am
Oooh, I touched an ego nerve

Oooh, I touched an ego nerve and brought forth hc traits. Out of here. I don't have time for people who would turn on a dime during a civil discourse and become obnoxious.

Trouble
Trouble 04/03/10 - 03:33 am
morning all

morning all

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/03/10 - 05:31 am
Observations From the

Observations From the Road

Todays thinking point.... Do you really need that light on? Much has been said as of late about energy conservation. As I was driving through Los Angeles in the wee hours of morning today, I noticed how everything was lit with bright lights. Even businesses that were closed were still brightly lit. I understand the need for some lighting for safety and security reasons, but the entire interior of the store? Is it really necessary to place a spot light on the palm tree in front of the store? Does the entire EMPTY parking lot need lights? It would seem to me that the state that is on the forefront of the energy conservation movement would try to set a better example.

The Rantings of a POOF

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 04/03/10 - 07:09 am
To answer Ranter #1 - As with

To answer Ranter #1 - As with almost all "Christian" holidays, Easter has a secular side as well. Easter has always had its non-religious side. In fact, Easter was originally a pagan festival. It was co-opted by Christian missionaries starting in the second century CE.

When the second-century Christian missionaries encountered the tribes of the north with their pagan celebrations, they do what Christian missionaries have always done; they attempted to convert them to Christianity. It would have been dangerous for the very early Christian converts to celebrate their holy days with observances that did not coincide with celebrations that already existed. To save lives, the missionaries decided to spread their dogma slowly throughout the populations by allowing them to continue to celebrate pagan feasts, but to do so in a Christian manner.

As it happened, the pagan festival of Eastre occurred at the same time of year as the Christian observance of the Resurrection of Christ. It made sense, therefore, to alter the festival itself, to make it a Christian observance as pagans were slowly indoctrinated. The early name, Eastre, was eventually changed to its modern spelling, Easter.

Jane18
Jane18 04/03/10 - 07:23 am
Good morning everyone. Had a

Good morning everyone. Had a little trouble with my computer the last several days, so, I have missed so much.

Jane18
Jane18 04/03/10 - 07:23 am
Good morning everyone. Had a

Jane18
Jane18 04/03/10 - 08:01 am
Actually Overburdened, it

Actually Overburdened, it goes back further than that. And just like the missionaries, the priests wanted to convert and up the membership, so they kind of turned their heads to what was actually going on. There was a goddess by the name of Ishtar, and she was the goddess of fertility. And in the spring around Passover, they would have their little fertility rites, rolling eggs in a wooded area, and then an orgy(I guss that is where`quick like a rabbit' came from). Remember, a lamb had to be sacrificed and the blood put over the door so the death angel would pass over. Get it? Pass over! But when JESUS died and resurrected, HE became the sacrifice for us. HE is our Passover. In Acts12:4, easter is not correctly translated. In all manuscripts, the word is pascha, and that word means Passover. By the way, those sUn rise services, they were the priests going out and worshipping the sun. The SON had not came yet.