50 percent have returned census forms

If you accidentally filed away that 2010 Census response form, officials are hoping you'll take it out today and put it in the mail for national Census Day.

Higher mail-in participation rates mean savings for taxpayers because there is no need to send a census taker to collect missing information from a household.

The national participation rate so far is 50 percent since the form was first sent out in the middle of March. Georgia lags behind at 47 percent participation, while South Carolina is outpacing the national average at 54 percent.

The South Carolina rate is notable because during the 2000 count the state had the second-worst mail-in participation rate at just 65 percent.

Nationally, the 2000 participation rate was 72 percent.

Aiken and Columbia counties are besting the national participation rate. Richmond County is slightly behind.

"We're all trying to motivate people to return those forms," said Ed Davis, the regional partnership coordinator for the Census Bureau. "That's the big message right now."

The cost of returning a census form by mail is little more than the cost of a postage stamp, but each time a census worker is dispatched to a household, that adds $57 to the taxpayer bill.

"You can see easily that it makes a lot of sense to simply mail the form back in," Davis said.

The once-a-decade count determines congressional representation and helps determine how $4 trillion in federal funds will be distributed during the next 10 years for projects such as roads, hospitals and education.

A census worker might be dispatched to a household even after a form has been returned depending on the date it is mailed because of the way the bureau keeps records, Davis said.

If that is the case, the house can turn away the census worker by telling them they have already mailed in the form, he said. That information will then be checked again against the census database.

The census is required by the U.S. Constitution and collects population data such as age, race and gender.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/01/10 - 04:16 am
It always about race.

It always about race. American is never a race. Government, go figure.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 04/01/10 - 05:15 am
Maybe the 50% that have sent

Maybe the 50% that have sent it in are the ones that can read

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/01/10 - 05:16 am
My form asks how many people

My form asks how many people slept in my house on the night of April 1. How on earth am I supposed to fill it out and mail it in BEFORE April2????????????????????????

msgret92
msgret92 04/01/10 - 05:27 am
Dixieman, that is the reason

Dixieman, that is the reason I have waited to send mine in also. This just shows that 50% of the country can't read/follow directions but the country allows them to vote then we wonder why there are problems in this country.

Notreally
Notreally 04/01/10 - 06:51 am
I'm SHOCKED it's at 50% with

I'm SHOCKED it's at 50% with the hate people have for Obama. Rick's cartoon yesterday gives you a good look at the typical group of people and their reason for not filling it out and sending it back. That cartoon was spot on.

Notreally
Notreally 04/01/10 - 05:57 am
Hey msgret92 those two women

Hey msgret92 those two women who stole that ring last week are those the type of freeloaders you were referring to?

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 04/01/10 - 06:06 am
I don't know how many

I don't know how many different forms were sent out... Mine took like 2 minutes to fill out, lick, and put back in the mailbox.

Boo-Hoo
Boo-Hoo 04/01/10 - 06:24 am
Notreally, And the 2 women

Notreally,

And the 2 women are white...right?

sgachief
sgachief 04/01/10 - 06:31 am
it could be that the other

it could be that the other 50% never received a census form in the first place. i didn't get one in the mail. i did go to an alternate location, picked one up and sent it in. the current govt. can't do anything right!!!

copdad
copdad 04/01/10 - 06:56 am
Hey,at least ya'll got

Hey,at least ya'll got one,apparently my household doesn't count in the census.

freedombelle
freedombelle 04/01/10 - 08:08 am
If you have a PO Box you did

If you have a PO Box you did not receive one..they are only mailed to those with a physical address... they are available in many locations, so go get one..mine took about 3 min. to fill out also..no problem so why complain?? It helps states get their electoral votes..maybe ours will change if everyone sends them in..many good reasons for the census..it's also the LAW!!

egan01
egan01 04/01/10 - 08:12 am
If you do not have a mail box

If you do not have a mail box at your residance they will not sent one to your PO Box. If I do not have it I can not send it back. Last census they did not send a form to anyone in Harlem that gets their mail at the Post Office.

55 F-100
55 F-100 04/01/10 - 08:48 am
The only questions that are

The only questions that are required to be answered is (1) How many people reside at the location and (2) Do either resident ever reside at a different address during the year? The other data, race, age, gender are nothing but data being collected by Prezbhojangles for his 2012 reelection (Ha-Ha-Ha) campaign.

AJKing2009
AJKing2009 04/01/10 - 08:49 am
The only question I have is

The only question I have is how do they know 50 percent returned them O.o ?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/01/10 - 08:51 am
They are numbered!

They are numbered!

AJKing2009
AJKing2009 04/01/10 - 08:53 am
Ahh! Good call babySarge. If

Ahh! Good call babySarge.
If the other 50% was smart they'd look into The North American Union.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/01/10 - 08:58 am
Good Morning Jim, I have yet

Good Morning Jim, I have yet to receive the census. Called the number on a post card I received and it said wait till April 15 then call again???

Is there alternate places I can get one like some posters are saying.

I see your "friend" is back.

AJKing2009
AJKing2009 04/01/10 - 09:03 am
I won't be going anywhere so

I won't be going anywhere so long as I live here, I'm a voter too. And Russia's Idea of Sovereign Democracy makes a hell-of-a-lot more sense than whet we can see happening in the North American Union today!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/01/10 - 09:04 am
Morning George, ours has been

Morning George, ours has been mailed for about a week now. Possibly you could check the post office.

Yep, I saw him, but I'm not messin with him just yet. We're going out for most of the day, snce the Eagle flew by. Probably won't leave for an hour or two.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/01/10 - 09:13 am
The majority of Americans do

The majority of Americans do not approve of the NAU, and as of yet, we're not part of it.

Now this is an absolutely brilliant comment; "I won't be going anywhere so long as I live here.."

Read that to yourself several times and contemplate what you just stated! That's like saying, "as long as I'm alive, I'll be living!" What's the problem, AJ, forget to have your "razor soup" this morning?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/01/10 - 09:12 am
The neighbor got his 2 weeks

The neighbor got his 2 weeks ago, I sure wouldn't want a knock on door by people dressed in brown.

I got a thousand things to do my self today. Will charge later.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/01/10 - 09:14 am
Take care George! I'll look

Take care George! I'll look for you while I'm on patrol.

AJKing2009
AJKing2009 04/01/10 - 09:24 am
I was going to enjoy the

I was going to enjoy the razor soup, the thing is Sarg, is that it wouldnt heat up in my microwave so I had to toss it.

The NAU was discussed in 2006... and it showed up on CNN once!
The point wasn't to tell the US citizens about the NAU, because they are collateral owned by Great Britain, I'm sure Sarge, you know what Im talking about when I say the US Corporation. Its not an Idea, Its reality, try learning something new old dog.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/01/10 - 09:30 am
freedombelle, You said there

freedombelle, You said there are many places to get a census form. Just name one, please.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/01/10 - 10:29 am
Bet you ACORN has a lot of

Bet you ACORN has a lot of blank forms on hand!!

treerock
treerock 04/01/10 - 10:31 am
i'm just waiting now for the

i'm just waiting now for the letter from the census bureau stating that i have sent in my census form. on top of the letter stating that i was about to receive the form and the other informing that i should have received the form.

Lank
Lank 04/01/10 - 11:43 am
Glad to see I'm not the only

Glad to see I'm not the only one who never received the form.

Lank
Lank 04/01/10 - 11:47 am
Maybe they are getting the

Maybe they are getting the addresses from the 2000 census forms?

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 04/01/10 - 02:55 pm
I mailed mine in but I don't

I mailed mine in but I don't think they are going to appreciate how I filled it out.

mable8
mable8 04/01/10 - 09:12 pm
The current census is not

The current census is not about how many live in an area in order to receive the government dole, but to gerrymander the voting districts--and the reason for the check box on race/ethnicity. The big O himself said (2009) that the reason for having the census handled by the whitehouse was to "study the voting districts". Guess he forgot that gerrymandering is against the Constitution--but so is the Obama health care he just signed. So why should he care that his intent is to break the law.