Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

A Rave to the students of Davidson Fine Arts for the excellent performances at the DFA Gala on Saturday. The talent on the stage was amazing. A rant to the rude students and adults that have no idea how to behave in a theater - cell phones left on and ringing, talking and getting up and down during the performance are never acceptable behavior, and I was appalled to see DFA students and parents behaving that way.

Lori Davis has been yelling about the rise of civil crime for years and the importance of nipping it in the bud. Now that gangs are in the news, maybe the powers that be will finally listen.

To the individual who said in Sunday's paper that people who are on furloughs or laid off have Barack Obama to thank: I've taken a furlough day per month for over a year. Obama hadn't been in office long enough to cause that. It's Wall Street greed, poor budget management by the great state of Georgia and the previous administration (yes, meaning Bush) that caused it.

A big Rave to the Rev. Kelly McKnight of The Bible Deliverance Temple in Har­­ris­burg for his efforts in helping Augusta's homeless. Rev. McKnight gives "a hand up," not just a "handout." His efforts emphasize personal responsibility, and he offers help to those who are willing to put forth the effort to change.

There was a time when local schools were run, and financed, by local people with no dictatorship from on high - no federal interference and no state interference. And, amazingly, in those days all the kids could actually read and write.

To the person who asks why Americans don't want to help each other out: Are you kidding? Successful people with good incomes work more than half the year for others. Now Obamacare will add even more to what is confiscated. For all that, we get no thanks, just spiraling crime, dependency and schools turning out morons and radicals.

This is a rant for Columbia County parents of 13- and 14-year-old girls and boys who walk through the neighborhood after dark. Do you know what your son or daughter is doing in the streets after dark? They're not telling jokes on the corner. Keep these kids in the house after dark before something bad happens.

A rant to the local news stations, which continually interrupted broadcast programming with endless "storm watch" updates. If we wanted hours of the weather there are channels for that.

When Republicans vote strictly along party lines no matter what the issues, it only proves they care more about the party than they care about the people. And do we really want taxpayer time and money used in a lawsuit over health care?

Tell us what you think
happychimer
happychimer 03/31/10 - 09:44 pm
Sarge I copied and pasted

Sarge I copied and pasted that arrow. I have been seeing a few of them everyday, but just never asked why they were there.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/31/10 - 09:44 pm
Happy, it may be unique to

Happy, it may be unique to your operating system. I have yet to see it!

happychimer
happychimer 03/31/10 - 09:47 pm
Thanks Sarge. Next time I see

Thanks Sarge. Next time I see Sean post I will ask him.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 09:49 pm
Jim, you dealt with him your

Jim, you dealt with him your way which was real good, but my way would have been different and you know that. It was best for me to stay in the shadow. You know I hate what has been the down fall of this great nation that everybody is so scared of.......PC.

happychimer
happychimer 03/31/10 - 09:51 pm
I hate waiting at the dr

I hate waiting at the dr office, especially when it drags out to 3 hrs. I am tired,so I think I will call it a night.Good night.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 09:58 pm
Jim, remember the little

Jim, remember the little problem my CIC had the other day. That was her first one in 53 years. She still has not got over it.

disssman
disssman 03/31/10 - 10:02 pm
Emerydan will it give the

Emerydan will it give the Sheriff or the Marshalls authority? I thought the Marshals office was responsible for code enforcement?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/31/10 - 10:09 pm
Sorry to hear that, George.

Sorry to hear that, George. It is rather traumatic on the first experience. I hope it doesn't make her gun-shy! I think she will be fine. I hold my breat every time we go out for that very reason!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/31/10 - 10:16 pm
AJ, beside being immature, is

AJ, beside being immature, is not a native American. I've found many foreign students who harbor the kind of attitude he demonstrates. He doesn't have enough experience to be criticizing our country, because he hasn't lived here all his life. He thinks he knows it, and all our problems, because he's learnd it from the media, and in foreign schools. He does not have the maturity to understand this, nor the living experience to be able to criticize our way of life. Chalk it up to him just being a mouthy kid! A foreigner, at that!

AJKing2009
AJKing2009 03/31/10 - 10:20 pm
He. Im an american until I

He.

Im an american until I declare myself sovereign, then you may call me foreign, you're living experience is war. For that I present to you an Idea called peace.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 10:20 pm
Jim, you have a heart of

Jim, you have a heart of gold, I'm sorry, I just can't deal with that kind of mentality. I guess I am just too Cobalt.

AJKing2009
AJKing2009 03/31/10 - 10:21 pm
My professors taught me not

My professors taught me not to listen to AMERICAN media...
they told me to listen to BBC and NPR, which I did, until I realized that the US is a british corporation... then I gave up on humanity.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 10:22 pm
He fought for all the peace

He fought for all the peace he has today and that is a lot. Don't go there using the word peace!

AJKing2009
AJKing2009 03/31/10 - 10:25 pm
Yeah, I know how much peace

Yeah, I know how much peace he has.
Enough peace to criticize the youth of the country he wanted to protect right?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 10:28 pm
That's it Jim, I'm going to

That's it Jim, I'm going to crawl into the sleeping bag, see you tomorrow. Do me a favor, keep him out of the compound so I can get a good night sleep.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/31/10 - 11:00 pm
When those youth are wrong,

When those youth are wrong, you bet your passport, I'll criticize! So, you're listening to your professors, right? Didn't common sense tell you that they're not always correct? How else can you form opposing oppinions if you don't listen to American media? One thing you should remember, AJ, in this country, we have something known as freedom of speech. You criticize me, I criticize you, we're entitled!

AJ, I spent over thirty years of my life serving my country. Knowing me, if I was an Israeli or a Korean, I would still do the same for my home country. I've earned the peace I now enjoy, for whatever time I have left to enjoy it. If I am able to help a misguided youth develop some common sense, and encourage that person to be cautious about what your professors try to teach you, I'm eager to do just that. I had some arrogant professors as well, but I did not let them "brainwash" me to the point, that it galvanized me from continuing to learn the truth, the facts, and other opinions. Don't shut your mind, son! Be a sponge!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/31/10 - 11:01 pm
Taps here, my Brother! Good

Taps here, my Brother! Good night, and see you tomorrow!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/31/10 - 11:05 pm
AJ, my living experience is

AJ, my living experience is life! I have lived almost 73 years of it, of which only 2 years were war. Life experiences begin with the age of accountability, and end with death. I hope you will live a better life than me, but you have a long time to prove that! Good night, Son!

AJKing2009
AJKing2009 03/31/10 - 11:26 pm
Thats an impressive career,

Thats an impressive career, sarg.

2 years in nam, and you gained the peace to make it to this stage in evolution and bicker with someone who clearly has more common sense about the world than you.

How can one form countering opinions?
What the hell kind of question is that, if you really wanted to think about it I challenge you to to state an opinion and when I can't counter it anymore you'll win..

You'll tell me long before its over that you don't have the time to argue, or that it would never end... exactly.

Life experience isn't about something here on Earth Sarge, thats the point you fail to mention.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/01/10 - 12:33 am
Glad to see I'm not the only

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has noticed a decline in audience behavior standards in the last few years at Davidson. I went to a Reid Memorial Presbyterian Concert recently and the only problems I noticed were one rather bruising fidget next to me (very tall uncomfortable gentleman who had trouble sliding about on the pew) and what should have been a very attractive woman chewing gum (which of course, detracted from her appearance) but at least I didn't hear her chewing, popping and slurping the gum like I hear elsewhere. I was so thankful to be able to enjoy the absolutely wonderful performance by Brad Cunningham and the Savannah River Brass ensemble (and more) with so little disruption. The children were seen and not heard, which is the way it should be with all audience members.

KNECKBONE
KNECKBONE 04/01/10 - 03:30 am
where's the applause section

where's the applause section at on here