Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

A Rave to the students of Davidson Fine Arts for the excellent performances at the DFA Gala on Saturday. The talent on the stage was amazing. A rant to the rude students and adults that have no idea how to behave in a theater - cell phones left on and ringing, talking and getting up and down during the performance are never acceptable behavior, and I was appalled to see DFA students and parents behaving that way.

Lori Davis has been yelling about the rise of civil crime for years and the importance of nipping it in the bud. Now that gangs are in the news, maybe the powers that be will finally listen.

To the individual who said in Sunday's paper that people who are on furloughs or laid off have Barack Obama to thank: I've taken a furlough day per month for over a year. Obama hadn't been in office long enough to cause that. It's Wall Street greed, poor budget management by the great state of Georgia and the previous administration (yes, meaning Bush) that caused it.

A big Rave to the Rev. Kelly McKnight of The Bible Deliverance Temple in Har­­ris­burg for his efforts in helping Augusta's homeless. Rev. McKnight gives "a hand up," not just a "handout." His efforts emphasize personal responsibility, and he offers help to those who are willing to put forth the effort to change.

There was a time when local schools were run, and financed, by local people with no dictatorship from on high - no federal interference and no state interference. And, amazingly, in those days all the kids could actually read and write.

To the person who asks why Americans don't want to help each other out: Are you kidding? Successful people with good incomes work more than half the year for others. Now Obamacare will add even more to what is confiscated. For all that, we get no thanks, just spiraling crime, dependency and schools turning out morons and radicals.

This is a rant for Columbia County parents of 13- and 14-year-old girls and boys who walk through the neighborhood after dark. Do you know what your son or daughter is doing in the streets after dark? They're not telling jokes on the corner. Keep these kids in the house after dark before something bad happens.

A rant to the local news stations, which continually interrupted broadcast programming with endless "storm watch" updates. If we wanted hours of the weather there are channels for that.

When Republicans vote strictly along party lines no matter what the issues, it only proves they care more about the party than they care about the people. And do we really want taxpayer time and money used in a lawsuit over health care?

Tell us what you think
saltine
saltine 03/31/10 - 06:28 pm
Ps: Thank you all for your

Ps: Thank you all for your intrest in trying to help.

KSL
KSL 03/31/10 - 06:30 pm
Sounds like you need to get

Sounds like you need to get together a group of like minded and concerned parents who can go to the school, hang around and demand the teachers and administrative staff stand up and take control. Several parents, visiting with permission, patrolling around, visiting and sitting in classrooms, could make all the difference.

dani
dani 03/31/10 - 06:31 pm
saltine. Remove your child

saltine. Remove your child from that school! Drats, no child deserves that environment. I don't know why something hasn't been done already. That is a dangerous situation and should not be allowed anywhere, anytime.

KSL
KSL 03/31/10 - 06:34 pm
She has already said she

She has already said she can't. She needs advice on how to handle this. The problem will not go away until the parents force the issue. In cases like this, it's going to have to come from the bottom pushing up. Going to the top has not worked.

saltine
saltine 03/31/10 - 07:01 pm
RE:dani: welcome to my world

RE:dani: welcome to my world at Hephzibah Middle School .Have heard ,that," it takes a villiage to raise a child"The things my child is learning in this villiage,is how to be un-desireable,un-educated,and dis -respectable.Not what I wanted for my children.

AJKing2009
AJKing2009 03/31/10 - 07:04 pm
yeah? they learned

yeah? they learned dis-respect. Good. Don't take it as a bad sign that kids dont even like the government. understand that when they control this world, You'll be dead, and so will this broken system of politics you conform to in America.

Teach your kids about Sovereign citizenship and look into it yourself.
TIMEFORPEACEAUG@YAHOO.COM

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 03/31/10 - 07:12 pm
As to the Latin language

As to the Latin language being part of the curriculum, I would like to relate an anecdote from my own experience. Years ago, I was a substitute teacher. In the the course of a lunchtime discussion with a number of the middle school staff I mentioned having taken several years of college level study due to the pursuit of a Bachelor of Divinity degree. The topic was raised because the school was dropping its enrichment program for Latin. Upon returning to that particular school, I was approached by several teachers asking about teaching a summer course for their children.

When I asked why, their almost unanimous answer: So my kid will understand English, and be able to do well in the language and science portions of the SAT. We met two hours twice a week, usually at someone's pool. Out of the eleven kids who started, thirteen finished -- three more teachers having learned of the classes begged, wheedled and threatened of behalf of their children-- and one dropout.

Observations: Of the thirteen, ten were accepted to, and finished college. None needed any non-credit hour producing 'bonehead' freshman (Ooops, pardon my non-PC! Remedial!) courses. Eleven of my texts were purchased from Amazon for $4.15; two from B&N for $5.95 . . . school textbooks, $38.00.

I am not trying to say this would be the result if Latin were re-introduced to the curriculum; the effect of an involved group of parents I would hold to have been more positive an influence, but the kids themselves when I run into them still tell me how much it helped them.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 03/31/10 - 07:32 pm
DS Sr said; "When I asked

DS Sr said; "When I asked why, their almost unanimous answer: So my kid will understand English, and be able to do well in the language and science portions of the SAT." Exactly what I was saying...so they would improve their ability to comprehend what is necessary to learn basic science and technology, including medical terminology, and of course, English and a better appreciation for proper grammar both spoken and written and will definitely eliminate a great horde of remedial work prior to college level enrollment. It will improve their ability to pass the college entrance tests, to write a good essay for admission, to impress their lit profs and any language instructor they have...overall Latin and German both contribute a lot to English and despite the need for Spanish, both would be preferable as elementary or middle school requirements.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/31/10 - 07:35 pm
Now for something different:

Now for something different:

(AP) TAMPA, Fla. -- Minnesota Twins leadoff man Denard Span hit a hard foul ball that struck his mom in the chest during Wednesday's game. She was treated by paramedics and back in the stands minutes later.

"My mom is feeling ok right now!" Span later posted on his Twitter account.

Wanda Wilson was wearing a Span jersey and sitting with about 20 family members and friends near the third-base dugout. Span took a defensive swing in the first inning and sent a liner into the low box seats, hitting her near the shoulder.

A stunned Span sprinted into the stands and stayed with his mother while she got treatment. The split-squad game against the New York Yankees was delayed for a few minutes as she walked to first aid, and the Twins said she was sore but OK.

"What the odds of that happening?" Twins pitching coach Rick Anderson said. "I've never seen it before. It's crazy. I'm standing there right next to it and I heard it and it's just, 'Oh no!, that didn't sound good.' She's on the ground and I'm saying, 'Please don't be the head or something' because it sounded so ugly."

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/31/10 - 07:44 pm
Cobalt George Says; "Good

Cobalt George Says; "Good Morning you all. Have a great day.

Just would like to post one comment;

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
_______________________________

Hi all, and hello, George, sorry I had to be out all day, but this is the first post I read, and wanted to comment, I have but one thing to add;

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their lives, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to, and including their lives."

This includes males and females alike! God bless them all!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 08:01 pm
How many are aware of this

How many are aware of this little tid bit information on the great health enema:

Certain people with religious objections can opt out of ObamaCare through a "religious conscience" exemption in the legislation. Those who will likely get to OPT OUT include the Amish, Christian Scientists, Orthodox Jews, Scientologists, and members of American Indian tribes.

What about Baptists, Catholics and Presbyterians to name but three denominations not included in the exemption? How can a religious exemption include certain religions and not others? Whatever happened to Equal Protection of the Laws guaranteed in the United States Constitution?

Even people in jail get to OPT OUT of ObamaCare!

Defend America,

Lawrence A. Hunter, Ph.D.
Social Security Institute
15 Culpeper St.
Warrenton VA, 20187

KSL
KSL 03/31/10 - 08:03 pm
dstewartsr, When questioning

dstewartsr,
When questioning my father, who was guiding me on the high school courses I was going to take about the reason for taking Latin, he told me it was to train me to think. You have already covered many of the reasons for taking Latin. There are so many more.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 03/31/10 - 08:05 pm
CG--I noticed that provision

CG--I noticed that provision the other day. I don't believe in Scientology, but if I could only buy stock in the Company...I have a feeling that there are going to be alot of converts!

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 03/31/10 - 08:05 pm
CobaltGeorge … I’ll believe

CobaltGeorge … I’ll believe the opt-out exemptions in ObamaCare, when I see the federal tax from 1040 and see that the exemptions existing in the fine for not having health insurance. Otherwise … everyone is exempt if you want to pay the fine.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 08:34 pm
LAVON — There is a way to

LAVON — There is a way to avoid government-mandated health insurance coverage without paying a penalty.

As with childhood vaccines, the public can opt-out of health care coverage for religious reasons.

This clause was created with the Amish and others traditionally opposed to mainstream medicine in mind, but some Christians can take advantage of it, too.

Bob and Paula Singleton are voluntarily uninsured; their health care costs are covered by other Christians around the country.

"The idea is that as Christians, we share each other's burdens," explained Bob Singleton.

The Singletons were worried their Christian health care network would be illegal under the new health care law. But the bill signed by the president has a special clause allowing such health care-sharing ministries, to opt out.

It's part of the religious exemption.

SMU dean of theology William Lawrence says taking advantage of the option won't be as simple as checking a box.

"You actually have to provide back-up documentation," he said. "You have to show that this is an established religious community. You have to show that his religious community specifically prohibits your participation."

Lawrence said that lying about a religious affiliation will be a federal crime that may be punishable by jail time.

"You couldn't suddenly declare your desire to opt back in because you now have a medical condition," he said. "You'd actually have to demonstrate that you had a religious conversion, and that you were now part of a religious community that no longer prohibited your participation in such a thing."

That's fine with the Singletons, who told us they have faith that fellow Christians will be there in sickness and in health.

There are many nuances to the religious exemption, but experts say — like an IRS audit — there will also be investigators for religious exemptions to deter fraud.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 08:39 pm
I have a complete new feeling

I have a complete new feeling and po'ed attitude about this kings health care. I now call it the "Limbo Feeling" how low can we go.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 03/31/10 - 08:44 pm
CobaltGeorge … The health

CobaltGeorge … The health care bill is enforced through the IRS on the IRS form 1040. Will the IRS form 1040 recognize the exemptions or just as if the person has an insurance policy that meets the federal standard insurance plan?

If it ask if you’re a member of a standard insurance plan then these exemptions wouldn’t qualify and additional taxes would be required. Or maybe the additional documentation would be required to be submitted with your 1040.

I'm just waiting to see how the IRS is going to handle this ... but Obama has picked one of the best enforcement tools (IRS) to force ObamaCare on the people of the US. And note we don't go to jail because we don't have insurance ... we go to jail for not paying our taxes.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 08:53 pm
OK ron, I am not as educated

OK ron, I am not as educated as you on the health care crap. Carry on.

I guess my common sense has been spoiled by reading and listening to all the right-wing propaganda.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 03/31/10 - 09:02 pm
CobaltGeorge ... it is not

CobaltGeorge ... it is not that I am more educated than you on this health care crap ... Only that I'm not as trusting as you seem to be with Obama and democrats. I don't believe it until I see it, even when they seem to be saying something good. I've been stepped on (figuratively speaking) by the smooth talking con man we call Obama or Mr. President to many times.

Hopefully Nov will bring some reason to Washington.

happychimer
happychimer 03/31/10 - 09:17 pm
I have a question, and I have

I have a question, and I have not seen the answer posted. What is that broken line arrow above an avatar?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 09:20 pm
Friends, I have be classified

Friends, I have be classified many ways but this takes the cake....."Only that I'm not as trusting as you seem to be with Obama and democrats."

I don't have any words, sorry!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/31/10 - 09:27 pm
He doesn't know you very

He doesn't know you very well, does he, CG?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/31/10 - 09:28 pm
Which "broken line arrow,"

Which "broken line arrow," above what avatar, Happy?

happychimer
happychimer 03/31/10 - 09:31 pm
Sarge the arrow above 8:05

Sarge the arrow above 8:05

happychimer
happychimer 03/31/10 - 09:32 pm
Sarge it is also above my

Sarge it is also above my last post 9:31

happychimer
happychimer 03/31/10 - 09:34 pm
It looks like this -->

It looks like this -->

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 09:36 pm
Jim, I was watching through

Jim, I was watching through my binoculars as you charged up the hill on another thread. I know you couldn't see the top but I could, so I just stayed off of it. You did good and I have put you in for another medal that you so truly deserve.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/31/10 - 09:43 pm
I don't see it,

I don't see it, Happy!

George, I appreciate the award, my friend, but it won't count if I didn't do the kid any good. Trouble is, I remember very well, my 19th year, it was when Precious and I got hitched! Get this; she was 18, and did not need her parents permission to get a marriage license. I was 19, and if my Mom and Dad had not brought her out to California, I would have missed getting married on their anniversary, because they needed my parents permission for me to get married. What a deal that was!

happychimer
happychimer 03/31/10 - 09:43 pm
glass if you are asking if I

glass if you are asking if I am on drugs, you need to grow up and stop throwing childish insults at me.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 09:44 pm
Jim, I have a new posting

Jim, I have a new posting policy, I am allowing myself only one non-PC removal per week. That way I will feel real "happy" happy.

Clemson halts mandatory student sex survey

CLEMSON, S.C. - Clemson says it has suspended a mandatory survey of students the school says was part of a review to prevent sexual discrimination, harassment and assault.