Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

A Rave to the students of Davidson Fine Arts for the excellent performances at the DFA Gala on Saturday. The talent on the stage was amazing. A rant to the rude students and adults that have no idea how to behave in a theater - cell phones left on and ringing, talking and getting up and down during the performance are never acceptable behavior, and I was appalled to see DFA students and parents behaving that way.

Lori Davis has been yelling about the rise of civil crime for years and the importance of nipping it in the bud. Now that gangs are in the news, maybe the powers that be will finally listen.

To the individual who said in Sunday's paper that people who are on furloughs or laid off have Barack Obama to thank: I've taken a furlough day per month for over a year. Obama hadn't been in office long enough to cause that. It's Wall Street greed, poor budget management by the great state of Georgia and the previous administration (yes, meaning Bush) that caused it.

A big Rave to the Rev. Kelly McKnight of The Bible Deliverance Temple in Har­­ris­burg for his efforts in helping Augusta's homeless. Rev. McKnight gives "a hand up," not just a "handout." His efforts emphasize personal responsibility, and he offers help to those who are willing to put forth the effort to change.

There was a time when local schools were run, and financed, by local people with no dictatorship from on high - no federal interference and no state interference. And, amazingly, in those days all the kids could actually read and write.

To the person who asks why Americans don't want to help each other out: Are you kidding? Successful people with good incomes work more than half the year for others. Now Obamacare will add even more to what is confiscated. For all that, we get no thanks, just spiraling crime, dependency and schools turning out morons and radicals.

This is a rant for Columbia County parents of 13- and 14-year-old girls and boys who walk through the neighborhood after dark. Do you know what your son or daughter is doing in the streets after dark? They're not telling jokes on the corner. Keep these kids in the house after dark before something bad happens.

A rant to the local news stations, which continually interrupted broadcast programming with endless "storm watch" updates. If we wanted hours of the weather there are channels for that.

When Republicans vote strictly along party lines no matter what the issues, it only proves they care more about the party than they care about the people. And do we really want taxpayer time and money used in a lawsuit over health care?

Tell us what you think
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/31/10 - 11:44 am
TAX SEX, OK Where's my

TAX SEX, OK Where's my Refund!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/31/10 - 11:50 am
CU all L. Try no PC ok.

CU all L. Try no PC ok.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/31/10 - 11:54 am
Gotta go too,,, life

Gotta go too,,, life calls...b4 I go though.. In the paper today...The University of Wyoming has canceled a speech by former 1960's radical William Ayers after it raised hundreds of objections from citizens & politicians.. Don't think the folks in Wyoming think like the folks in Chicago..Imagine that...

Dudeness
Dudeness 03/31/10 - 12:17 pm
Will there be tax credits for

Will there be tax credits for sleeping with ugly people (charitable donation)?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/31/10 - 12:18 pm
Dudeness, I think that credit

Dudeness, I think that credit would come with rehab also!

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/31/10 - 01:11 pm
Dudeness, if that's the

Dudeness, if that's the criterion, I'm pretty sure Tiger doesn't qualify to receive credits under CBBP's rehab suggestion.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/31/10 - 01:20 pm
Observations From the

Observations From the Road

Today's observation is exactly that. I saw a car this morning with an Obama sticker on the back glass. Below it was a vanity plate that read IM2BLAM. 'Nuff said.

Rantings of a POOF

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/31/10 - 01:31 pm
I have been asked on many

I have been asked on many ocassions if President Obama ever did something I approved of/agreed with would I admit it. Well, he finally did and I support his decision to lift the moratorium (sp?) on offshore drilling in some areas. As long has he isn't using this as a ploy to "buy" votes for Cap [income] and Trade [jobs].

dani
dani 03/31/10 - 01:53 pm
Back before

Back before _________children were spanked in school. Then things changed and parents said no ______ will spank a child of mine. And SO it began...........

saltine
saltine 03/31/10 - 01:56 pm
I started this rant early

I started this rant early this morning ,to feel out my "community" on how they feel the problem in our public school should handle ,the disrespect,disreguard for others and disturbing a class room.So far no one has given me an answer that I can take to the RCBOE.This is a seriuos problem in our school ,that has increased since the beginning of the year.My child has two more years there and I would like to see this resolved.I have three others to follow. I can't afford private school and I can't afford to let this continue .MY CHILDREN'S education is at risk.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/31/10 - 02:06 pm
Saltine.... The school

Saltine.... The school problem won't be "fixed" overnight & maybe never...The only recourse you would have right now would be to move to a county with decent schools..Not easy to find, I agree... I would check them out before hand. Years ago I was told to put mine in a private school, that can't be done & in some cases doesn't help the kids either. Kids need to see the multi differences in all kids, they just shouldn't have to pay for the unruly & misbehaved kids.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/31/10 - 02:10 pm
Saltine, ask that your child

Saltine, ask that your child be put into an accelerated learning class. Explain to them the problems. Poor performers drag down the rest of the class, it does not work the other way. Rarely do poor performers get put into accelerated classes.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/31/10 - 02:21 pm
Saltine, have considered

Saltine, have considered moving to Columbia County, schools aren't perfect but much better than Richmond

dani
dani 03/31/10 - 02:25 pm
saltine...Have you tried what

saltine...Have you tried what another parent did recently. Go and sit in the classroom. Who knows - it might help.

dani
dani 03/31/10 - 02:30 pm
When a real estate agent

When a real estate agent sells you a house, they emphasize location, location, location. Especially if you have children who are or will be of school age, be careful of the area you settle in. That is the best most can afford to do, but it is doable. THe RCBOE has heard it all before.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/31/10 - 02:43 pm
My children went to South

My children went to South Columbia Elementary, Lakeside Middle and Lakeside High Schools....I wouldn't trade 'em.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/31/10 - 02:44 pm
saltine, the proble is the

saltine, the proble is the mother who would beat you uh-oh for attempting to make their brat behave.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/31/10 - 02:54 pm
Hopie McChange liberates

Hopie McChange liberates another 23,000 Americans from the drudgery of working for a living this month. The promised rainbows and unicorns can't be far away now.

Trouble
Trouble 03/31/10 - 03:04 pm
i want a

i want a unicorn.................

saltine
saltine 03/31/10 - 03:05 pm
I have been told that some

I have been told that some parents come to school and tell the teachers,that their children are grown,these are eleven year olds,running this school.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/31/10 - 03:06 pm
saltine - I'm happy to say -

saltine - I'm happy to say - "Not in my world"

Trouble
Trouble 03/31/10 - 03:06 pm
saline, the only thing that

saline, the only thing that is gonna make a bit of difference in that situation is to make the parents responsible for their brat, start holding them accountable, and maybe, just maybe they will start holding the brat accountable.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/31/10 - 03:21 pm
Bill Cosby has a good

Bill Cosby has a good parenting line "I brought you into this world, I'll take you out of it."

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/31/10 - 03:31 pm
Do you notice how we all try

Do you notice how we all try to help saltine,, just wondering what if her name was peppercorn... just kidding...know you good folks would help your fellow poster!:0)

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/31/10 - 03:33 pm
Everyone loves a good

Everyone loves a good cracker.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/31/10 - 03:34 pm
Quack...quack... we sure do!

Quack...quack... we sure do!

Just me 2
Just me 2 03/31/10 - 04:11 pm
Maybe, they belong in a

Maybe, they belong in a prison school. If they do not learn right from wrong(something that SHOULD be taught in the home)....that is probably where they will end up anyway. But in the meantime they have kept the child who really wanted to learn and become a productive adult from doing so.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 03/31/10 - 04:57 pm
Bring back corporal

Bring back corporal punishment..parents who object will have their unruly children shipped over to an alternative site with the criminal minded adolescents who refuse to conform and be disciplined...secondly, do away with county school boards and form districts based on population and median income bases so you have a mixed rural and urban student population and distribute the funding to schools across the district evenly so everyone has equal opportunity in terms of supplies, educators, special equipment, Internet and media rooms for college prep coursework and begin teaching Latin in elementary level classes again to re-culture the language of English into the minds of all the shortcut style writers/writing that is part of permanent pop culture like texting etc... and put in every kind of security measure and fund these necessities so that wanna be gangsters quicky get the message violence and guns, knives, weapons, threats etc will be zero tolerance and prosecute the idiots to make examples out of them and restict tort lawyers from ability to file suit when disciplines are necessary to keep order and protect the student population...if it has to resemble military or law enforcement environment to get it done then do it...the future of our country depends on what we turn out to run things when we die...we've already let things slip almost beyond revival..but in today's world, if we don't have math and tech savvy students going to work we won't even be able to shop cuz no one will be able to count or use a register...enter a cashless society and the mark of the beast...a chip...I love this topic.

KSL
KSL 03/31/10 - 05:26 pm
Latin was one of my favorite

Latin was one of my favorite subjects, along with algebra, biology, English,and history. In college I loved geology, biology and English. I agree with you, Zeno. More people should take Latin. It is a great basis for so many other subjects despite this old chant "Latin is a dead language, as dead as it can be. It killed Julius Caesar and now it's killing me."

saltine
saltine 03/31/10 - 05:23 pm
I forgot to mention:today

I forgot to mention:today there was a fire in the( "Men") boys restroom,and a teachers cell phone stolen(again)

New SafeHomes facility breaks ground

SafeHomes of Augusta broke ground Thursday on a larger facility that will allow the nonprofit agency to house more than twice the number of clients than its current shelter can hold.