Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

This is a plea to all the citizens of the CSRA and visitors who will be coming here during Masters Week, including the media, local and national. Leave Tiger Woods alone. Keep your comments to yourself unless they are nice. He is here on a mission to play in the Masters.

I don't care if Tiger Woods plays in the Masters or not. I don't care what he does with his life. I'm sick and tired of reading about it. This is not sports.

In the be-careful-what-you-wish-for category, government-controlled health care should be at the top of the list. You may trust the present administration, but remember: The laws they are enacting today are going to be there forever. Defending his plan against warnings of rationing and "death panels," President Obama said, "We're not gonna kill grandma." Maybe our grandchildren won't feel the same way after they get the bill for all this pork and waste we will be giving them.

Not a word in Friday's Chronicle about the Congres­sional Budget Office's positive scoring of the health care reform bill on Thursday (only the most significant national political news of that day). You may be as disingenuous as you want on your editorial page, but you have a civic duty to report the news elsewhere in your paper.

This is a rant to the president and Congress! How do they expect to pay for 15 million more people in Medicare? Transfer one half of the cost to the states. Read the new bill. It's all there. That means that Georgia will need to either cut teachers' pay or make do with fewer teachers. Way to go, Dems.

Good article on Pepperidge. My family has lived in the subdivision since 1996, and it's a good neighborhood. Many of us are military, retired or retired military families. The rest are hardworking people, except for the ½ percent that are voucher rentals. Unfortunately most of the trouble comes from these unsupervised one-parent rentals. Thank you to the law enforcement officers who are working with us to keep this small group of young people from taking over.

It's pretty sad you can't even attend the Augusta Symphony Air Supply concert without the beer drinking rednecks making it unenjoyable for everyone around them. To the guys whistling and yelling like you were at an Aerosmith concert: Stick with the tractor pulls; you're not ready for the symphony.

Tell us what you think
Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/24/10 - 03:20 am
And we here in Augusta

And we here in Augusta thought we had a problem with the golfers' statues.....

NASHVILLE, March 24 (UPI) -- A businessman is at odds with officials in Centerville, Tenn., as to where to locate statue of comedienne Minnie Pearl while its original home is renovated.

The (Nashville) Tennessean said Rod Harris and Centerville Mayor Bob Bohn have been feuding over the temporary location of a 900-pound sculpture while the public square where it was installed in 2005 undergoes renovations.

Harris raised the money for the $150,000 statue through donations and gifted it to the town with the stipulation that it not be moved from the public square, which is not far from where Minnie Pearl was born, the report said. When the town decided to move it in order to complete renovations, Harris took the statue back.

Harris' lawyer told the newspaper he will return the sculpture if the town agrees to a suitable location for it and pays about $10,000 in legal fees because it violated its contract with Harris.

However, Centerville aldermen voted unanimously this month to start raising funds for a new statue instead of bargaining with Harris to get the existing one back, The Tennessean said.

Sarah Cannon, who became the country music icon Cousin Minnie Pearl, died in 1996 at age 83.

G'mornin y'all, w00t! Have a great day!

A thought for the day: Martin Luther King Jr. said, "A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."

Trouble
Trouble 03/24/10 - 04:42 am
morning all

morning all

pops1
pops1 03/24/10 - 05:11 am
Comments should go back to

Comments should go back to their length requirements. Some people are a little too long winded. Time to go back to reading books. LOL yawning

Trouble
Trouble 03/24/10 - 05:21 am
pops, sorry if my post was to

pops, sorry if my post was to long for you, in the future, i will try to shorten it.....lol

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/24/10 - 06:55 am
He must still be reading

He must still be reading it....

corgimom
corgimom 03/24/10 - 07:02 am
"I would love to know why the

"I would love to know why the census forms were changed. I received two. The first had questions that wanted totals on utilities, how much rent was paid and your finances. The second form doesn't ask this. Would sure love to know."

Because statistical samples are used to determine the average cost of utilities, rent, and finances across the US, because it gives very important information that is used to determine cost of living expenses. This information is used for many valuable purposes, including social security payments, wages, and demographic studies.

By the way, questions about how much a house was worth and how much rent people paid were asked on the 1930 census. It gives an extremely accurate picture of how people lived, the structure of American society, and the wage structure of the times.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/24/10 - 07:20 am
corgimom - Here is a

corgimom - Here is a challenge for you. Please inform us where in the US Constitution, or the Articles and Amendments thereof, does it stipulate that the Federal Government census has any authority to do anything but "enumerate the population by location". That is a rhetorical question .... it isn't in there. Have a blissful day!

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 03/24/10 - 07:09 am
Very good obsevation on

Very good obsevation on Pepperidege, it is unfortuante that voucher assisted families are allowed to move in subdivisions, those of them that destroy the good image of it. I feel your pain, I have them in front and on one side of my residence; parents cursing out loud, hudleums visiting of the same type, constantly in and out of the residence, unsupervised children. There goes the neighborhood.

peonynut
peonynut 03/24/10 - 07:12 am
People who are trained to go

People who are trained to go from house to house asking questions for the Census are not trained to ask about finances. The government does not need to know what you make or how much your bills are. Leave it blank and if you do fill it out make darned sure it is going to the proper place and is not a scam of some sort.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/24/10 - 07:18 am
My personal suggestion is to

My personal suggestion is to answer block one (the only one with a highlighted border and legally specified in The Constitution) about how many residents are in the household. Skip all the other ones except the race one. I checked "other" and wrote in "American". That means that human eyeballs have to look at it.

willienelson
willienelson 03/24/10 - 07:44 am
Sure is beautiful outside

Sure is beautiful outside this morning. What a great day to begin impeachment proceedings.

Dudeness
Dudeness 03/24/10 - 07:47 am
Since they weren't given the

Since they weren't given the entire bill, the CBO's numbers were incomplete and they were only for 6 years of the spending rather than 10. Basically, the number was useless.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/24/10 - 07:54 am
The CBO score was tainted by

The CBO score was tainted by the inclusion of the Student Loan takeover, source of virtually ALL deficit reduction in the *puke* law.

When you include the "Doc Fix" bill already being debated, the savings evaporates and the increase in deficit balloons to $250B in the first ten years.

Grow some damn wrinkles in those brains and quit believing what the TV tells you.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/24/10 - 07:57 am
But I just ironed my brain, I

But I just ironed my brain, I don't want wrinkles!!

willienelson
willienelson 03/24/10 - 08:02 am
I got enough wrinkles on the

I got enough wrinkles on the outside.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/24/10 - 08:04 am
Gentlemen (Dudeness, willie,

Gentlemen (Dudeness, willie, Aye and CBBP) you are all correct (of course). I'm in therapy to try and stop responding to the mentally handicapped during Lent. Easter is coming!

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Please pray for all our leaders, especially President Obama (MHDIM).

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/24/10 - 08:06 am
MHDTE, MHSTE

MHDTE, MHSTE

willienelson
willienelson 03/24/10 - 08:07 am
I would like to say a special

I would like to say a special prayer for the lovely Ms Pelosi. It might even involve the laying on of hands.

willienelson
willienelson 03/24/10 - 08:08 am
SBTPTBRNMWTPW

SBTPTBRNMWTPW

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/24/10 - 08:12 am
snafu, fubar, and jshsmmfh.

snafu, fubar, and jshsmmfh.

willienelson
willienelson 03/24/10 - 08:17 am
Today's show is brought to

Today's show is brought to you by the word Marxism. Can you say it with me children? Marxism

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/24/10 - 08:18 am
mmmmmm mmmmm mmmm Barack

mmmmmm mmmmm mmmm Barack Hussain Obama

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 03/24/10 - 08:20 am
Hey, judging by my last smoke

Hey, judging by my last smoke break on the porch, he doesn't yet control the weather. It's not all messed up!

willienelson
willienelson 03/24/10 - 08:23 am
That will be on the 6th day.

That will be on the 6th day. And on the 7th day he will rest by smoking, drinking and perhaps a little toot of something special

willienelson
willienelson 03/24/10 - 08:24 am
Is the president required to

Is the president required to take random drug tests?

butler123
butler123 03/24/10 - 08:25 am
I'm with you Trey, they are

I'm with you Trey, they are asking too many personal questions. No wonder people don't want to fill it out. No wonder census takers get shot. How many people live there, ages, race, maybe even sex should be sufficient.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/24/10 - 08:32 am
Confucious say,"Man with half

Confucious say,"Man with half face, only move half fast"

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/24/10 - 08:33 am
I was gonna answer the sex

I was gonna answer the sex question on my census form but there was no "YES" block to check!!!

willienelson
willienelson 03/24/10 - 08:36 am
The Dems certainly outsmarted

The Dems certainly outsmarted us this time. Despite having having a majority in both houses and in the WH, they passed their president's key piece of legislation in less than 2 years.

willienelson
willienelson 03/24/10 - 08:38 am
I was gonna answer the sex

I was gonna answer the sex question on my census form but there was no "PLEASE" block to check!!!

Christmas Eve storm possible

ATLANTA - Forecasters say strong storms, some with the potential for isolated tornadoes, are possible over large parts of Georgia on Christmas Eve.