Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

I see Augusta is getting spruced up for the Masters. Last Masters, going to the airport, the waist-high grass and weeds along with the ton of trash along the sides of the roads left little to be desired. Hope they include south Augusta for a little sprucing up too. Flowers wouldn't hurt either! We are the "Garden City," ya know!

Butch Palmer, Lori Davis and the other members of the concerned citizens of Richmond County have enlightened the county commissioners about the problems that are basic to all of the neighborhoods in Richmond County. A well drafted chronic nuisance property ordinance is a priceless tool. Harrisburg historically was known as The Fighting Fifth Ward . Nothing has changed. Harrisburg is the city core.

While health care reform is needed, we don't need reform that was conceived behind closed doors in a smoke-filled room through coercion, bribes and payouts.

I am a 73-year-old grandmother of two. I have worked my entire life helping provide for my family. I am self-sufficient, and that is something people have lost sight of in America today. I live down the road from a government-funded assisted living center for older adults and continually look out my window to see most of them outside playing basketball! If they are able to play basketball, they are able to live on their own and stop the abuse of government funds that we already lack. But why should I get mad at that situation? Our politicians do it every day.

Cal Ripken said he will not leave Augusta if his new stadium is not built for his team. Let's test him at his word and not build it and see what happens.

Obama and Hillary are pushing a "women's rights" scheme of family planning that "also aims to reduce maternal and child deaths and HIV infections." To both these deceivers, family planning means abortion, i.e., kill the kids early so you'll have reduced deaths later. What kind of insanity is that?

Interesting scare tactic, the letter signed by a long list of deans at the University of Georgia, trying to convince taxpayers that if they don't agree to getting gouged by government, all learning in the world will come to a halt. Maybe it's time college admins learned something about the real world. When there's no money, there's no money- K indergarten E conomics 101.

More than a third of public schools are failing, so Obama wants to grab more federal power over public schools. That's odd since public schools were not failing until Jimmy Carter invented the U.S. Department of Education. Since that time, schools have continued to fail.

Tell us what you think
RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/18/10 - 10:01 am
Call your reps and sens. Call

Call your reps and sens. Call Pelosi and Reid. Call anybody and everybody in DC. Lets melt the capital switch board!!!!!!

crackerjack
crackerjack 03/18/10 - 10:06 am
The New England Journal of

The New England Journal of Medicine took a poll last week and found that 44% of Doctors polled stated that if this Health Care Bill as it is written passed, they would either go into another field, retire, or move their practice to another country. That should be interesting, since it is supposed to add more that 30 million more people to the rolls.

Ari Astor
Ari Astor 03/18/10 - 10:09 am
cackerjack - It's just

cackerjack - It's just another cost-saving measure. If fewer can actually get care, it will cost less. Get with the program! lol

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/18/10 - 10:11 am
My niece who is an MD has

My niece who is an MD has said she will go into research, leaving a family practice position.

Chillen
Chillen 03/18/10 - 10:29 am
My daughter is about to start

My daughter is about to start college & wants to be a doctor. We've told her to seriously consider vet school. The government doesn't control our pet care - yet.

sassylassie
sassylassie 03/18/10 - 10:56 am
Thanks, Corgimom, for

Thanks, Corgimom, for reminding others about NCLB. Until they, too, have worked in the schools as we have, they will not understand why so many good educators are leaving the field because of this foolishness. It's nice to have another educator fill in the gaps.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/18/10 - 10:53 am
New subject. Why do people

New subject. Why do people think everything should be given to them? Just this past weekend I was accosted by two different youth sports teams begging for money. I think the pc term is solicitating for donations. What are the coaches and parents teaching these kids. If you want something bad enough just ask for it, someone will give it to you. When I was a kid if my baseball team needed new uniforms or equipment we had car washes, bake sales, did yard work, etc to raise the money. You may find this hard to believe but after we had work to raise the money to purchase what ever we needed we also took care of it. I did not give either team a dime. Note to parents and coaches, I have been known to "pay" $20 for a car wash. Just something else to think about.

sassylassie
sassylassie 03/18/10 - 10:55 am
Also, has anybody else

Also, has anybody else noticed that the superintendents from Burke, Columbia, Aiken, and other surrounding counties tend to stay out of the news? Why does Bedden need to be commented about every single day? Or is it just him using the newspaper to further his personal agenda? Obviously, the rest of the supers in this area are working and spending time in their schools, not in the spotlight. Just an observation.

Ari Astor
Ari Astor 03/18/10 - 11:43 am
sassy - I wish you could have

sassy - I wish you could have been around to hear my mother when the US Dept of Education was created. She liked that idea just about as well as the NEA nazi's when she was teaching in NJ. We have discussed the NCLB, although she was not terribly affected. By the way, she has 39 years of certified full-time teaching experience under her belt and is featured in 3 editions of 'Who's Who Among American Teachers'. I'll skip the local awards. I stick with my earlier statements about US DoE, without which, NCLB would have never reared it's ugly head.

aureliusdios
aureliusdios 03/18/10 - 11:43 am
Fear you can smell!

Fear you can smell! Repulsive!

happychimer
19537
happychimer 03/18/10 - 11:50 am
Good afternoon. It's a

Good afternoon. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. May God bless all our leaders, and especially President Obama.

Ari Astor
Ari Astor 03/18/10 - 11:50 am
aureliusdios? Whom or what

aureliusdios? Whom or what was that aimed at?

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 03/18/10 - 12:06 pm
"...the waist-high grass and

"...the waist-high grass and weeds along with the ton of trash along the sides of the roads left little to be desired." I would have thought such conditions leave much to be desired. Also; why does someone else have to plant the flowers?

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 03/18/10 - 12:34 pm
My chosen profession required

My chosen profession required that I pack up and move quite frequently. Each move entailed some minor shopping around to find a doctor's office that was accepting new patients and also accepted my medical insurance. I suspect that finding a doctor who will see you as a new patient will require more than minor shopping around before too long.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 03/18/10 - 01:00 pm
Watched the interview between

Watched the interview between Mr. Hussein & Bret Baier, for the second time, and I am still in awe of this man's arrogance, and combativness. He was absolutely not used to the kid gloves treatment he has received for the last year by the fawning lamestream media. Once again he displayed his lack of knowledge concerning the HCR bill itself, and then, in a magnificant gesture, he declared that he did not care how the bill was passed, just that it made it to his desk for him to sign. Wow. Then, he declared that the "Louisiana Purchase" provision of the HCR bill would also apply to Hawaii? Wrong! The provision was specifically written to benefit one state only, and was an outright untruth. I will stop short of calling him a liar, and just chalk it up to ignorance of his own bill. Again. wow. However, I do want to give a big rave to some of the Democrats that are now stepping up and showing their incredible courage in opposing this bill. Rep. Stephen Lynch, D-Mass., who helps round up votes for the leadership, said today that the plan is "disingenuous" and threatened to vote against it unless he sees changes. Lynch voted for the House health bill last year. Pelosi's own troops are starting to desert, and they have my gratitude and thanks. My hopes are raised and I am enthusiastic, as we may yet defeat this monstrosity.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/18/10 - 01:30 pm
I just checked the White

I just checked the White House page, the house health care bill is not yet posted. Since the president promised every bill to be posted online 72 hours before voting, they better hurry if the house is voting Sunday. Or is this just another lie?

butler123
butler123 03/18/10 - 01:58 pm
Uptheseventhplanet, you are

Uptheseventhplanet, you are right, people will have to flock to the ER and camp out. Most democrats will be voted out anyway, but if they vote for this healthcare bill they can say bye, bye.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 03/18/10 - 03:06 pm
TheFederalist
TheFederalist 03/18/10 - 03:39 pm
TheFederalist
TheFederalist 03/18/10 - 04:22 pm
Just got the news that Fess

Just got the news that Fess Parker, one of my childhood television idols has passed away at 85. He starred in both series, Daniel Boone, and Davy Crockett. Everyone from my television childhood is going away, and I am saddened. Sigh.....

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/18/10 - 05:22 pm
Happy, I also pray that the

Happy, I also pray that the Almighty blesses Obamination... with a brick.

texred
texred 03/18/10 - 06:09 pm
Roadkill you be careful up

Roadkill you be careful up there in that Green Bay country, they ain't like these here folks in the Augusta area. Have a safe trip.

texred
texred 03/18/10 - 06:09 pm
Roadkill you be careful up

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/18/10 - 06:19 pm
Howdy, y'all! If you've not

Howdy, y'all! If you've not read the posts over on the Fess Parker article, take a look!

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 03/18/10 - 07:41 pm
Fed, I agree about Fess!!

Fed, I agree about Fess!! All my childhood heroes are leaving fast--we are next!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/18/10 - 07:51 pm
Hi Glass, heroes, friends,

Hi Glass, heroes, friends, family, they're all leaving! We are definitely the next. Heck, I;ve even got one foot on the proverbial banana peel. You know where the other is!

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 03/18/10 - 07:54 pm
Sarge, "Hang tough!!" you can

Sarge, "Hang tough!!" you can do it!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/18/10 - 07:55 pm
Hangin, Glass, hangin! Now,

Hangin, Glass, hangin! Now, if I can hold together while I'm hangin, I've got it made!

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 03/18/10 - 07:56 pm
Sarge, keep the foot with the

Sarge, keep the foot with the baseball cleat on the peel--that's all you have to keep in mind!!!!!!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/18/10 - 09:37 pm
You got it, Glass! I just

You got it, Glass! I just talked with Cobalt George, and his system is down because of the cable, again. George says "hey" to everybody!

Christmas Eve storm possible

ATLANTA - Forecasters say strong storms, some with the potential for isolated tornadoes, are possible over large parts of Georgia on Christmas Eve.