Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

I see Augusta is getting spruced up for the Masters. Last Masters, going to the airport, the waist-high grass and weeds along with the ton of trash along the sides of the roads left little to be desired. Hope they include south Augusta for a little sprucing up too. Flowers wouldn't hurt either! We are the "Garden City," ya know!

Butch Palmer, Lori Davis and the other members of the concerned citizens of Richmond County have enlightened the county commissioners about the problems that are basic to all of the neighborhoods in Richmond County. A well drafted chronic nuisance property ordinance is a priceless tool. Harrisburg historically was known as The Fighting Fifth Ward . Nothing has changed. Harrisburg is the city core.

While health care reform is needed, we don't need reform that was conceived behind closed doors in a smoke-filled room through coercion, bribes and payouts.

I am a 73-year-old grandmother of two. I have worked my entire life helping provide for my family. I am self-sufficient, and that is something people have lost sight of in America today. I live down the road from a government-funded assisted living center for older adults and continually look out my window to see most of them outside playing basketball! If they are able to play basketball, they are able to live on their own and stop the abuse of government funds that we already lack. But why should I get mad at that situation? Our politicians do it every day.

Cal Ripken said he will not leave Augusta if his new stadium is not built for his team. Let's test him at his word and not build it and see what happens.

Obama and Hillary are pushing a "women's rights" scheme of family planning that "also aims to reduce maternal and child deaths and HIV infections." To both these deceivers, family planning means abortion, i.e., kill the kids early so you'll have reduced deaths later. What kind of insanity is that?

Interesting scare tactic, the letter signed by a long list of deans at the University of Georgia, trying to convince taxpayers that if they don't agree to getting gouged by government, all learning in the world will come to a halt. Maybe it's time college admins learned something about the real world. When there's no money, there's no money- K indergarten E conomics 101.

More than a third of public schools are failing, so Obama wants to grab more federal power over public schools. That's odd since public schools were not failing until Jimmy Carter invented the U.S. Department of Education. Since that time, schools have continued to fail.

Tell us what you think
crackerjack
crackerjack 03/18/10 - 12:55 am
When the Prez takes over the

When the Prez takes over the Nations School System, will he take his girls out of private school.

crackerjack
crackerjack 03/18/10 - 12:57 am
Have you noticed that it's

Have you noticed that it's O.K. for your kids, but not mine. And Health Care will be great for everyone, but we in Congress will keep what we have.

crackerjack
crackerjack 03/18/10 - 01:00 am
I know when the Patrons of

I know when the Patrons of the Masters fly into Bush Field, and smell the wonderful aroma of fresh feces, the roadside trash, and the potholes, they know they have arrived at the Garden City.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 03/18/10 - 05:34 am
mmm mmm obama mmm mmm change

mmm mmm obama mmm mmm change we can believe in and the band played on.....

Trouble
Trouble 03/18/10 - 06:14 am
morning all

morning all

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/18/10 - 06:48 am
Good Morning from the Ellis

Good Morning from the Ellis St. Canal Coffee, Donut, Luncheonette and Psychiatric Center! (Shhh, not so loud) This morning for the hearty souls, (and those of you still drunk), we have a strong Irish brew of coffee that'll shake those cobwebs loose. For the Wussies we have tomato juice. Instead of pastries today we're serving big old fluffy cathead biscuits, (to soak up some of your madness). Lunch today is Smoked Possum(you shoulda seen us trying to roll it!), with Wild Onions and Poke Salad fresh from the Messerly Wastewater Treatment Plant served alongside fried cornbread with a Cinnamon Goat Cheese Trifle for dessert!!

Ari Astor
Ari Astor 03/18/10 - 06:56 am
Martinez
Martinez 03/18/10 - 06:57 am
I certainly hope the ranter

I certainly hope the ranter is not suggesting that public schools were more successful prior to Jimmy Carter? While I believe the school system is a mess, the mess is consistent with other changes in society including the deteriation of families. Not to mention, there was no standard for measuring performance. Schools a mile apart taught different materials, graded differently etc. While I think NCLB is a rediculous piece of legislation that has done more harm then good, the one piece I do agree with is the need for standards and measurement - just without the high stakes and teach to the test approach.

Ari Astor
Ari Astor 03/18/10 - 07:06 am
I personally believe the

I personally believe the monitoring and enforcement of educational programs and procedures is a job for each state to implement according to their own needs, means, and demographics. Obviously the federal government can not create a "one size fits all" program to best serve the needs of everyone concerned (which is everyone).

Ari Astor
Ari Astor 03/18/10 - 07:08 am
ColdBeer - You will add

ColdBeer - You will add pumpherniggle bagels and smoked catfish lox for Masters Week, is that correct?

Ari Astor
Ari Astor 03/18/10 - 07:18 am
How Greater Miami

How Greater Miami "celebrated" St Patrick's day:

West Palm Beach Police had a really short cop dressed up as a leprechaun standing on the median of one of the major streets....Every so often he would tip his hat and about 2 blocks away about 10 officers would step out into the street, busy pulling over every one of the cars the leprechaun tipped his hat to for not wearing their seatbelts....$150 fine I think they said and 2 points.

willienelson
willienelson 03/18/10 - 07:52 am
Augusta should get spruced up

Augusta should get spruced up for Masters week. The one week tournament brings in excess of $150 million to the CSRA.

willienelson
willienelson 03/18/10 - 07:58 am
We complain. Obama's goal is

We complain. Obama's goal is not merely for the govt to gain control over schools. I predict he will try to gain control over banks, large manufacturing companies, Wall Street, Mortage companies, school loans, health care, insurance companies........Just joking. This could never happen in America. Just sit back and complain.

corgimom
corgimom 03/18/10 - 08:06 am
"Obama's goal is not merely

"Obama's goal is not merely for the govt to gain control over schools."Oh yeah, and NCLB was....what? The government ALREADY gained control, and that was under Bush. Remember?

willienelson
willienelson 03/18/10 - 08:09 am
Corgi, you really should get

Corgi, you really should get out more. NCLB stands for No Child Left Behind. Research Google. When you have no idea what things are, Google can help you look them up.

Ari Astor
Ari Astor 03/18/10 - 08:15 am
NCLB would have been rather

NCLB would have been rather impossible to implement without a Federal Dept of Education.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/18/10 - 08:46 am
Ari, at the moment, all we

Ari, at the moment, all we can get for Masters Week is a Hemp flour for bagles and Smoked Mudfish Lox, but I'm certain they'll be quite tasty and in demand!!

NEone
NEone 03/18/10 - 08:46 am
Ari Astor: State standards

Ari Astor: State standards for education are fine as long as the student remains in the same state for their educational years. Unfortunately, our world is more mobile than that, and the school system needs to adapt.

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 03/18/10 - 08:49 am
NEone---still, one shoe DOES

NEone---still, one shoe DOES NOT fit all! The "shotgun" approach doesn't work!!

Ari Astor
Ari Astor 03/18/10 - 08:55 am
NEOne, I certainly do not

NEOne, I certainly do not disagree about the mobility factor. However, with each state controlling/funding their programs, the programs could be factored in to any decision to relocate. It's not perfect for all, but the US Dept of Education is certainly not the answer in my opinion, which I stated as being only that.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/18/10 - 10:17 am
Good Morning

Good Morning Awguster......... from Green Bay WI

butler123
butler123 03/18/10 - 10:20 am
I guess since it has been so

I guess since it has been so long that I have had a child in school, I just had no idea that things had gotten so bad. I was shocked when I heard them talking about cutting back to 4 days a week. I'm very angry that something wasn't done before it got this bad, and I don't care which President was in office when it happened.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/18/10 - 10:31 am
Gov't (fed) got into the

Gov't (fed) got into the schools and look at the problems we have. Now they want to take over health care. Just something to think about.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/18/10 - 10:35 am
Good morning all! After my

Good morning all! After my morning sickness went away, I decided to see how everyone feels about the hijack trying to be performed by the Liberals!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/18/10 - 10:36 am
Speaking of health care.

Speaking of health care. Somebody please explain to me how a program costing $940 BILLION is going to save a TRILLION. I even used a calculator on that one and can't figure it out. Maybe a slide rule...........

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/18/10 - 10:40 am
CBBP, do you make Reuben

CBBP, do you make Reuben sandwich's? I whipped up four last evening. Wanna swap recipes?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/18/10 - 10:42 am
RK, Rove and another person

RK, Rove and another person were asking the same question about twenty minutes ago. I suppose the Dems have discovered a new way to grow money!

Ari Astor
Ari Astor 03/18/10 - 10:49 am
It's a very basic Ponzi

It's a very basic Ponzi tactic. The CBO projections today are based on 10 years. The program starts withdrawing funds from the day it is implemented. It will only start paying out benefits 4 years later, eventually encompassing full coverage by it's maturity. It's like buying a new car now and making payments to get it delivered in 4 or 5 years. I apologize for the brief explanation, but it's Spring Break and I'm retired. But that is how you do it, start collecting 4-6 years before you have any expenditures. In today's dollars, the actual cost will be at least $1.8 trillion. However, the "less than 1 trillion" is an important statement to make to the fence-sitting representatives.

butler123
butler123 03/18/10 - 10:53 am
They better start taking it

They better start taking it 20 years before.

butler123
butler123 03/18/10 - 10:56 am
All these people that think

All these people that think this healthcare thing is such a good idea better be prepared to buy a tent. We will all have to camp out to see a doctor. It takes hours in the ER now.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms