Masters Week prep under way

Augusta's public service crews are busy sprucing up downtown and areas around Augusta National in preparation for next month's Masters tournament.

B.J. Rucker paints the barrier of a parking area on Broad Street.  John Curry/ Staff
John Curry/ Staff
B.J. Rucker paints the barrier of a parking area on Broad Street.

The cleaning is mainly a slightly heightened version of the tasks the facilities and maintenance departments complete throughout the year, said Wayne Shelly, superintendent for Augusta Public Works.

"We put a little more emphasis on it with all the guests coming to Augusta, but we don't' neglect any other part of town," he said.

Projects include sweeping streets, picking up trash, trimming grass and placing plant beds.

Areas throughout the county will receive attention throughout the spring and summer, but officials try to focus the first efforts on areas such as the Hill, downtown and Washington Road because of the tournament, said Rick Acree, assistant director of public services.

"We try to get our gateways and the major intersections, which is our responsibility anyway," he said.

CarlA
CarlA 03/16/10 - 10:37 am
"We try to get our gateways

Does that include Gordon Hwy. by the X-Mart (a gateway to the city)???

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 03/16/10 - 10:38 am
Whatever, Mr. Shelley. You

Whatever, Mr. Shelley. You guys don't do anything 11 months out of the year to keep our city clean. I never see street sweepers running except right now. We know all you are doing is putting on a dog and pony show for our visitors so they can say, "Why Augusta was so beautiful, you must love it there".

Chillen
Chillen 03/16/10 - 11:06 am
Well at least we get to enjoy

Well at least we get to enjoy the efforts once a year. It is beautiful here when they clean everything up. Once a year is better than not at all.

countyman
countyman 03/16/10 - 01:03 pm
I see orange bags around the

I see orange bags around the city all the time. Prisoners clean up Jimmie Dyess, I-520, and Gordon Hwy alot. I know everybody has seen some of those orange bags of trash.

I live downtown. I see the CADI guys cleaning up trash daily. The workers use street sweepers downtown. The CADI system downtown is great. I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about them. They've cleaned over 35 tons of trash downtown. The first year the program was started.

95er
95er 03/16/10 - 01:46 pm
I drive for one of the 3

I drive for one of the 3 corporate sponsors of the tournament during the week. I am always disappointed to hear comments from these patrons regarding Calhoun Expressway and how overgrown and trashy it looks.

lieutenantkitten
lieutenantkitten 03/16/10 - 02:15 pm
Too true 95er, and well said

Too true 95er, and well said AugustaVoter. However, like chillen expressed, it is better once than never. At least we get the chance for clean-up because of Masters. I also have seen lots of trash clean-up downtown, but Calhoun needs more than that. Hopefully when the project between 15th, 14th, and Riverwatch is done enough traffic will be alleviated for Calhoun to be re-surfaced and lights to be added. Even the surrounding neighborhoods would be benifited.