Across the area

Pre-K registration is scheduled for Tuesday

Richmond County schools will hold pre-kindergarten registration from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Parents can register children at all elementary schools except C.T. Walker Magnet School and at Westside High School. Butler, Josey and Laney high schools will accept registration for 3- and 4-year-olds only. Parents also can register children at the Henry Brigham, May Park and W.T. Johnson centers. For more information, go to www.rcboe.org or call (706) 826-1134.

Store worker says man stole bank deposit

An armed man took a bank deposit bag from an employee outside a Dollar General store Sunday morning.

The employee said the man approached him as he was leaving the store at 2489 Tobacco Road about 7:30 a.m. and showed what appeared to be a handgun, according to a Richmond County sheriff's report.

The thief took the bag from the employee and fled in a four-door, hunter-green Volkswagen Jetta.

Man denied service damages glass door

A man became irate and damaged a door at an Augusta fast-food restaurant after he was told he could not order from the drive-through while on foot.

The incident occurred at about 1 a.m. Sunday at the Burger King at 1815 Walton Way, a Richmond County sheriff's report says.

After being told he could not order from the drive-through, the man kicked a glass door and fled, leaving a spider crack.

-- From Staff Reports

BeaufordT
BeaufordT 03/08/10 - 04:01 am
"Butler, Josey and Laney high

"Butler, Josey and Laney high schools will accept registration for 3- and 4-year-olds only." I suppose if you start in one of these schools at this age, there is a good chance of graduating at 17-18 y/o.

NEone
NEone 03/08/10 - 04:13 am
Why can't someone order at

Why can't someone order at the drive thru if they are on foot? Is a bicycle okay? No skateboards allowed either, I suppose. Shouldn't have broken the glass, but he had reason to be upset.

deekster
deekster 03/08/10 - 05:16 am
Another stolen bank deposit.

Another stolen bank deposit. Or as it is known in Augusta, "The Overworked Employee Bonus Package".

1313 03/08/10 - 06:20 am
I remember a similar incident

I remember a similar incident years ago when Burger King was advertising that it took two hands to handle a whopper and they turned away a one-armed guy.

JustMe
JustMe 03/08/10 - 09:27 am
A drive thru is a DRIVE thru.

A drive thru is a DRIVE thru. He could just as easily gone in the door and gotten food at the counter.

butler123
butler123 03/08/10 - 10:02 am
People who work at these

People who work at these stores need to start hiding the bank bags under their shirt. Someone is either watching and knows too much or it's an inside job.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/08/10 - 11:15 am
I agree with NEone. A

I agree with NEone. A pedestrian should be allowed to order and receive food at the outside window of a Burger King. It doesn't hurt anyone for him to get his food and pay outside. The employee who turned the pedestrian customer away is not a creative thinker. Someday that employee will be a government bureaucrat.

KSL
KSL 03/08/10 - 11:28 am
Could be an insurance issue.

Could be an insurance issue.

x58dav8r
x58dav8r 03/08/10 - 02:08 pm
Little Lamb, the drive

Little Lamb, the drive through at most places including banks, fast food places are for folks who want to conduct their business and keep moving. If folks want to order food while on foot they should go inside. Your idea will allow them to line up outside and block those of us who want to get and go thereby defeating the whole purpose. Simple enough for ya?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/08/10 - 03:18 pm
Boy, x58, you just had to add

Boy, x58, you just had to add that last little dig, didn't you. Just feeling mean and looking for a target?

Pinetuckey is ready when you are, Bub.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/08/10 - 03:19 pm
I disagree, x58. No one in a

I disagree, x58. No one in a car “keeps moving” at a drive-in window. You have to stop once to order and then stop at least once again to pick up the food and pay. A pedestrian could do the same safely.

What you really object to is someone “blocking” you, as you put it. What it really means is that you don't want to wait an extra minute or two in line. If the pedestrian gets in line before your car, what is wrong with your having to order and get your food after he does?

Grimzine
Grimzine 03/08/10 - 04:50 pm
I was actually turned away on

I was actually turned away on my Harley, not for noise issues because I killed the engine they said they couldn't serve me because it was a motorcycle. I mean all I wanted was a couple burgers to toss in my saddlebag but they made me come inside. So I did, walked right outside and put the burgers in my saddlebags as I intended to do from the beginning. It simply made no sense to me.

corgimom
corgimom 03/08/10 - 07:09 pm
A fast-food restaurant is not

audioofbeing
audioofbeing 03/08/10 - 09:19 pm
"A fast-food restaurant is

"A fast-food restaurant is not supposed to allow pedestrians to order at the drive-through window for safety reasons. It's a good way to get robbed- those are the ones that climb in the drive-through window to hold it up."

Thank you for speaking logic to these people. I've worked fast food. There are enough opportunities to get robbed without this. Especially late at night.