Rants & Raves

If the mayor wants the city to approve his plans to build a baseball stadium downtown, first he needs to do something about cleaning up the mess that is downtown. Security cameras along Broad Street and the surrounding areas would be a great start.

Before any decisions are made regarding Dr. Dana Bedden's position as superintendent, more information is needed on our local schools. I suggest that each board member choose a school and a grade level and be a substitute there for one day. Then they can all meet behind closed doors and compare their days, their observations, their concerns, their disappointments, and their revelations. No need for expensive audits or consults. Just let the esteemed board members be in a class and run that class for the day. They will learn all there is to know about our schools.

Am I the only one that received two letters from the U.S. Department of Commerce informing me about the 2010 Census form coming? Same letter with same date, and some of you think the U.S. government can run a new health care program. It plundered Medicare, underfunded Medicaid and now wants us to believe it will do better.

This rant is for the Hephzibah Middle School student I witnessed verbally attacking a teacher. Shame on you for using the language you did. I heard her ask you to please sit down and be quiet and you proceeded to approach her and curse her out. Your parents must be really proud of the kind of young lady they raised.

I only see reports about the mold at the Law Enforcement Center. What about the Transit Department? When it rains it leaks so bad that mold is growing all over the walls and ceiling. There are offices with so many buckets to catch the water that you can't walk past them. When will something be done?

Has anybody noticed lately that politicians throw around the word "million" (dollars) as though it means a stick of gum?

All of the hysteria over the Gay Pride parade is ridiculous. They've been having these in Atlanta and Savannah for years with no problems. This parade will no more turn you gay than the St. Patrick's Day parade will turn you Irish. Get into the 21st century, Augusta!

This is a Rant. I've been hearing that the city was going to widen Windsor Spring Road from Tobacco Road and Highway 88 for years now. It is just putting patches on the road that either don't stay or, if they do, they are higher than the road and make it unsafe to drive on. Why not just repave the road and get it over?

A huge rave for Lori Davis, Butch Palmer, Joe Bowles and all of the donors who helped bring chronic nuisance property expert John Campbell to Augusta. It looks like all of the hard work has paid off and Augusta's neighborhoods are finally going to get cleaned up.

willienelson
willienelson 03/01/10 - 11:11 am
Anyone aware of difference

Anyone aware of difference between a turban and a dot on forehead?

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 03/01/10 - 11:12 am
Odds are I would never have

Odds are I would never have purchased a car from Milton Ruben but I can now unequivocally say that there is no way in hades I would ever set foot on their lot. If their pop up ads are this annoying I can only imagine their sales people.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/01/10 - 11:15 am
I've purchased two vehicles

I've purchased two vehicles from Milton Reuben®... the salespeople aren't so annoying, but heaven help you if you fall into the clutches of the service dept.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/01/10 - 11:18 am
On the positive side, folks

On the positive side, folks at Milton Reuben™ love to play Whack-A-Troll™ for fun and profit.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/01/10 - 11:30 am
No clue, WillieNelson™

No clue, WillieNelson™

willienelson
willienelson 03/01/10 - 11:32 am
Pull start vs push start in

Pull start vs push start in lawn mowers is a radical new improvement

countyman
countyman 03/01/10 - 11:38 am
Concerning Windsor Spring

Concerning Windsor Spring rd.... The road will be widen from Tobacco rd past Willis Foreman heading into the Hephzibah city limits which is south of Willis Foreman going to the Burke county line.. The city has to buy the right of way first. There are several old homes and trailers who were built along time ago. That are right up on the road and have to be demolished. The city has to buy those ppl out first before widening.

countyman
countyman 03/01/10 - 11:39 am
Here are some construction

Here are some construction projects approved for the Augusta area.

Bridge replacement on Wrightsboro Road over Euchee Creek near Grovetown. Cost is $3,863,560.

Passing lanes on Harlem-Appling Road. Cost is $8,469,798.

Widening of Alexander Drive in Augusta. Cost is $10,968,300.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Reynolds Street from 13th Street to Riverwatch Parkway. Cost is $106,860.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Jones Street from Riverwatch Parkway to 13th Street. Cost is $125,561.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Sand Bar Ferry Road. Cost is $2,859,936.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Deans Bridge Road from the Jefferson County line to near Tobacco Road. Cost is $3,316,455.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Doug Barnard Parkway/Tobacco Road from Gordon Highway to Mike Padgett Highway. Cost is $2,748,865.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 03/01/10 - 11:42 am
So which is it, Sean? "We

So which is it, Sean? "We can't possibly watch all the threads" like you are trying to preach today, or your stated position from one of your earlier blogs? Do you want the revenue from the clicks and views or not? Just tell us....

"And speaking of watching very closely, our new moderation policy has been in effect for less than a week, and we’ve been baptized by fire. We’re working out how to enforce our policies fairly and consistently, but this is all very subjective. Each moderator has his or her own tolerance level, and we don’t always agree on what should stay and what should go. As we meet and discuss our decisions there will be more consistent moderation. We won’t make everyone happy, but we will improve.

Bear in mind this is a learning experience for us as well as you. You want to know exactly what the rules are; we are trying to figure out how to practically enforce them. Before we started moderating, the social media team met and talked and wrote pithy little statements to explain how we would proceed, but when I finally was up to my elbows in comments, I quickly realized that we can’t plan for every situation. You guys throw us comments every day that have us scratching our heads."

Ref:

countyman
countyman 03/01/10 - 11:46 am
Here are some other

Here are some other construction projects. Most of these will be completed because Augusta got another $8.5 million. But a few will have to wait because there isn't enough money. Subtract $3 million from the $8.5 million. Because of Broad Street $4 million($3 million stimulus) new street lights and traffic signals is already approved.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Broad Street from 15th Street to East Boundary. Cost is $817,344.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Jones Street from 14th Street to 10th Street. Cost is $215,688.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Walton Way from 15th Street to 3rd Street. Cost is $756,800.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Walton Way from 15th Street to Johns Road. Cost is $650,848.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Walton Way from Johns Road to Jackson Road/Walton Way Extension. Cost is $657,944.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Laney Walker Boulevard from Sand Bar Ferry Road to New Savannah Road. Cost is $1,063,304.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Keysville Road from County Line to State Road 88. Cost is $610,382.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Windsor Spring Road from Willis Foreman Road to State Road 88. Cost is $945,300.

Resurfacing and maintenance on Windsor Spring Road from Tobacco Road to Willis Foreman Road. Cost is $535,075.

Traffic signal and street light upgrades on Broad Street from 5th Street to 13th Street. Cost is $3,000,000.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 03/01/10 - 11:45 am
Yes Willie. Most persons with

Yes Willie. Most persons with a dot on the forehead wear turbans, however the inverse is is not the case. However, both will usually shun bacon, and those with the dot will also shun steaks. Go figure.

disssman
disssman 03/01/10 - 12:00 pm
Zeno. Can you prove that god

Zeno. Can you prove that god dosen't like homosexuals ( I never use the word gay)? I mean all you holy rollers claim he dosen't, but I haven't seen a story about someone getting hit with lightning bolts. It would appear that if he disapproved and hated it so much, he would take action.

disssman
disssman 03/01/10 - 12:06 pm
Countyman are you saying we

Countyman are you saying we spent $300K per block for new street lights and curb lights. I thought the expensive lights were already downtown. What in the world are we buying? Sounds like someones cousin is getting ready to retire.

butler123
butler123 03/01/10 - 12:10 pm
Yappy I just have to tell you

Yappy I just have to tell you that I'm LMAO at your comment, before someone claims to be offended and they take it off.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 03/01/10 - 12:12 pm
President Obama's health care

President Obama's health care summit last week seems to have nudged up support, but 52% of U.S. voters continue to oppose the plan proposed by the president and congressional Democrats. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 44% favor the plan, up three points from last week just before the summit and the highest level of support recorded since mid-November.

YappyMuther
YappyMuther 03/01/10 - 12:19 pm
butler123 - I am happy to

butler123 - I am happy to supply a grin, and I'm happy that you saw it before it was too late. I feel like this is the NFL© (No Fun League ®) lately.

YappyMuther
YappyMuther 03/01/10 - 12:22 pm
C&P from AC "Love Note" (sent

C&P from AC "Love Note" (sent under Sean Moore's email addy btw) -

"The comments are provided by The Augusta Chronicle a place for discussion of issues, not for proliferation of racist stereotypes. Please refrain from making such comments in the future.

Thanks,

Sarah Day Owen
Social Media Editor"

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/01/10 - 12:41 pm
I've sent my proof of image

I've sent my proof of image non copyright to AC via Sean Moores email.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 03/01/10 - 12:46 pm
If you ask me, there is no

If you ask me, there is no telling who might receive it. Sean, can you please tell us if Kim Luciani is male or female since the first name is ambiguous? I don't want to unintentionally offend anybody.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/01/10 - 12:47 pm
Because it's fun to share...

Because it's fun to share...

Concerned about a lawsuit, Alkhateeb, an unnamed superstar whose nationally recognized artwork had stunned friends and family, was relieved that the situation had floated for months without any major news organizations discovering that he was the man behind the paint.

After we contacted him, he hesitantly agreed to an interview.

If it's any consolation, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit organization that defends digital rights, says Alkhateeb has a strong fair-use defense if Time or DC Comics decides to take him to court -- that is if one even does file a lawsuit.

"You really want to think twice about going after a political commenter," said Corynne McSherry, a senior staff attorney at the EFF. In Time's case, "a news organization probably doesn't want to be in the situation of pursuing political criticism."

Perhaps the strongest case for anyone, McSherry said, is for Alkhateeb to claim money derived from people selling T-shirts with his picture. Is it worth pursuing? "It would be nice, but it's not that big of a deal," Alkhateeb said.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/01/10 - 12:50 pm
And as a political

And as a political expression, my avatar is a form of protected free speech.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend with my life your right to say it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/01/10 - 01:23 pm
Post Removed by me due to

Post Removed by me due to incoming additional evidence.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 03/01/10 - 01:00 pm
CG - Check yahoomail when the

CG - Check yahoomail when the market gets too painful.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 03/01/10 - 01:12 pm
Have we driven "The Social

Have we driven "The Social Media" (aka-advertising/sales) Team back into yet another closed-door Monday meeting?

God save America
God save America 03/01/10 - 01:25 pm
let the gay pride parade and

let the gay pride parade and the kkk parade go on but don't send news people to these parade's to write about them and don't show it on tv. all they want is publicity so don't give them what they want

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/01/10 - 01:37 pm
Great idea, GSA. Ignore it

Great idea, GSA. Ignore it and it'll go away was one of my Mom's favorites.

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 03/01/10 - 01:54 pm
Rant 6 We're not talking

Rant 6 We're not talking about real money until you get to a trillion dollars.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 03/01/10 - 02:02 pm
Just musing here, but in

Just musing here, but in light of all the new rules and regs, I wonder......if we all agreed that say, the word "Green" would in future refer to a banned word. Everybody was in agreement, and knew that when you saw the word "Green" used, it actually stood for that banned word. Consequently then, would the AC ban the word "Green"? Just wondering aloud here.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/01/10 - 02:04 pm
Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 03/01/10 - 02:04 pm
Fed: I'm working on a

Fed: I'm working on a dictionary as you type, my friend. Wait till you learn the real meaning of "I got --{--@'d".