Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

South Carolina government wants to give or lend taxpayer money to people who will make their homes more energy efficient. First, that's not the government's job. Second, government pretending to lend money to people who can't afford to pay it back is what got us into the present mess.

This fuss about credit cards is ridiculous. People feel they deserve to spend what they like and then whine when companies come after them for payments. Do what my daddy taught me: Don't get any credit cards; pay as you go as he and other folks did decades ago. I hope among the new laws there is one to finally stop the flow of money past a certain limit until people pay up.

I applaud the new credit-card rule against issuing to folks 21 and under unless they have a co-signer or proof of a steady job to make payments. That's the way it should be for anyone over 21 as well.

Looks like the mayor doesn't give a darn what the people of Augusta feel about that baseball stadium. He's going to ram it down our throats any way he can.

I agree with the person who said the bus drivers drive too fast in Augusta. I work at Augusta Tech, and they come in here to get their buses and they drive wide open. I've considered reporting this several times, but probably nothing would be done.

I can see interrupting all TV programing for national security, the president, accidents involving planes and trains, shootings, things that affect the everyday person. Tiger Woods is just a man, although one of the greatest golfers ever, He is still just a man who made a lot of mistakes. He only owes an apology to his wife and to his children when they are old enough to understand. He doesn't need to take up air time on TV.

Officials will investigate schools for cheating on CRCT tests - by teachers! When school teachers and administrators can't be trusted, who can we trust?

What irony on Page One of The Chronicle. First, there is the possibility Dr. Bedden is leaving our school system for a job in Texas. One wonders why he is considering leaving us. Then right below that article is part of the likely answer: 16-year-old pregnant student is shot and killed in a gang-related incident, the second such killing in recent weeks. Perhaps Dr. Bedden is more interested in working where parents are fulfilling their responsibilities to raise their children with respect for the law.

Tell us what you think
Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 05:20 am
Military Quote of the

Military Quote of the Day:

"When I joined the military it was *illegal* to be homosexual, then it became *optional*. I'm getting out before it becomes *mandatory*."

MSGT Harry T. Serres, USAF Ret.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/26/10 - 05:39 am
Concerning the bus drivers,

Concerning the bus drivers, I'm not making an excuse saying that it's okay for them to drive so fast, but I am pointing out that the most probable reason they drive so fast is because they are on a STRICT time line to make their stops. If they don't make them on time, they get the major heat from the supervisors because people complain about them being too slow! So, either way, the drivers can't win! My advice is to just take a couple of steps back and hop on fast when the bus pulls up to you! And, as far as Bedden moving to Texas for greener pastures, you don't think that this place in Texas has the SAME problems we have here as far as discipline and sorry parents?? Um, you better think again.

cristinadh
cristinadh 02/26/10 - 05:43 am
"I am a concerned parent of a

"I am a concerned parent of a child with special needs. I have called the Richmond County Board of Education, but no one in special ed will return my calls. I have tried to contact the supervisor, no returned call. Who else can I turn to?"

they don't care!!

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 05:55 am
Overall we hear very few

Overall we hear very few reports of school buses being involved in serious traffic incidents or crashes. It seems to me that they are doing something right.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/26/10 - 06:33 am
Speakin of buses, did ya see

Speakin of buses, did ya see the mornin news bout the kid who broke in and drove buses in circles then reparked them...joy ridin in a bus....surely they can afford a junkyard dog at the bus barn....I think it was another city though.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 07:14 am
Today's Urban Dictionary

Today's Urban Dictionary "Word of the Day" is especially for CobaltGeorge. (I apologize in advance for "calling you out")

"dead cat bounce"

Defined as:
Investor slang; a brief recovery in the price of a falling stock. Term is derived from the idea that "even a dead cat will bounce if it falls from a great height."

Example:
"I tried to buy GX on the dead cat bounce but got burned."

Troubled1
Troubled1 02/26/10 - 07:36 am
hmmmm, how to say this

hmmmm, how to say this without it getting pulled.....how about happy coffee time all?????

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 08:13 am
Warning: watching American

Warning: watching American politicians argue about healthcare can be seriously damaging to your health. Symptoms may include migraines, extreme fatigue and sudden violent urges. In the event of exposure to competing statistics — regarding "donut holes", "HMO deductibles", "reconciliation devices" or suchlike — seek immediate medical help.

The public affairs television channel C-Span 3 might as well have put such a message at the bottom of its screen yesterday as it broadcast President Obama’s epic six-hour "bipartisan" debate on US medical reform.

Of course, by the usual standards of C-Span programming — which can induce sleep faster than an IV drip of propofol — the summit was the equivalent of a bikini mud wrestling contest. You half expected the picture to shake as the camera operator struggled to compose himself.

For the rest of us, however, it was mainly an opportunity to see how many conciliatory-looking poses Obama could strike while listening to his Republican opponents explain why the entire first year of his administration has been a gigantic waste of time, and why the telephone directory-sized health Bills produced by both the Democrat-controlled House and Senate should be fed into a shredder the size of Connecticut, before they . . . well, no one seems to know exactly what these vast pieces of legislation would do. (timesonline.co.uk)

The entire story can be found at:

corgimom
corgimom 02/26/10 - 08:08 am
To the concerned parent of a

To the concerned parent of a special-needs child- You got your answer. I can see it hasn't changed in 25 years. Unless it's a violation of Federal or state law, they won't do anything for you.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 08:42 am
"Unless it's a violation of

"Unless it's a violation of Federal or state law, they won't do anything for you." If nothing is being violated/infringed, why should they?

pattym35
pattym35 02/26/10 - 08:44 am
To the concerned parent of

To the concerned parent of the special needs child - you're calling the wrong department. In Richmond County the Special Education Department is for the gifted children.

Troubled1
Troubled1 02/26/10 - 08:47 am
if i were having problems

if i were having problems with my special needs child at school, i would not be ranting about it on the r/r's, i would be at the school or the board of education, or where ever i had to be to get the problem resolved, they would be fixing the problem just to get rid of me.......must not be too serious a problem...

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/26/10 - 08:53 am
Is it just me or is most of

Is it just me or is most of this paper now just a rehash of one to three day old news?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/26/10 - 08:52 am
お早うございます (ohayō gozaimasu) to

お早うございます (ohayō gozaimasu) to you all and especially Petey, Isn't the stock market just great....Wed 3 perfect shorts and yesterday the cat bounce for me on AMD & RFMD for a .10 on 10,000 each. Don't you just love our president? As for the tennis match yesterday, the score was, Dem - spoke just over 4 hours, Rep - bit over 2 hours and the great president spoke more than all the Republicans put together. "Fair and Balance" is the word for the day for our great, help the people government.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/26/10 - 09:07 am
Some military rules and news

Some military rules and news update:

Military Rules

Marine Recon Rules:

1. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

2. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.

3. Have a plan.

4. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won't work.

5. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

6. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a '4.'

7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.

8. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Laterally and diagonally preferred.)

9. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

10. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

11. Always cheat; always win.. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

13. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating your intention to shoot.

Navy SEAL Rules:

1. Look very cool in sunglasses.

2. Kill every living thing within view.

3. Adjust Speedo.

4. Check hair in mirror.

US Army Ranger Rules:

1. Walk 50 miles wearing 75-pound rucksack while starving.

2. Locate individuals requiring killing.

3. Request permission via radio from 'Higher Authority' to perform killing.

4. Curse bitterly when mission is aborted.

5. Walk out 50 miles wearing a 75-pound rucksack while starving.

US Army Rules:

1. Curse bitterly when receiving operational order.

2. Make sure there is extra ammo and extra coffee.

3. Curse bitterly.

4. Curse bitterly.

5. Do not listen to 2nd LTs; they can get you killed.

6. Curse bitterly.

US Air Force Rules:

1. Have a cocktail.

2. Adjust temperature on air-conditioner.

3. See what's on HBO.

4. Ask 'What is a gunfight?'

5. Request more funding from Congress with a 'killer' Power Point presentation.

6. Wine & dine ''key' Congressmen, invite DOD & defense industry executives.

7. Receive funding, set up new command and assemble assets.

8. Declare the assets 'strategic' and never deploy them operationally.

9. Hurry to make 13:45 tee-time.

10. Make sure the base is as far as possible from the conflict but close enough to have tax exemption.

US Navy Rules:

1. Go to Sea.

2. Drink Coffee.

3. Deploy Marines

Go Navy!

And next...you've got to love the Navy. God bless them all.

U.S.. Navy Directive 16134 ( Inappropriate T-Shirts )

The following directive was issued by the commanding officer of all naval installations in the Middle East.

(It was obviously directed at the Marines.)

To: All Commands

Subject: Inappropriate T-Shirts

Ref: ComMidEast For Inst 16134//24 K

All commanders promulgate upon receipt.

The following T-shirts are no longer to be worn on or off base by any military or civilian personnel serving in the Middle East:

1. 'Eat Pork or Die' [both English and Arabic versions]

2. 'Shrine Busters' [Various. Show burning minarets or bomb/artillery shells impacting Islamic shrines. Some with unit logos.]

3. 'Napalm, Sticks Like Crazy' [Both English and Arabic versions]

4. 'Goat - it isn't just for breakfast any more.' [Both English and Arabic versions]

5. 'The road to Paradise begins with me.' [Mostly Arabic versions, but some in English. Some show sniper scope cross-hairs.]

6. 'Guns don't kill people. I kill people..' [Both Arabic and English versions]

7. 'Pork. The other white meat.' [Arabic version]

8. 'Infidel' [English, Arabic and other coalition force languages.]

The above T-shirts are to be removed from Post Exchanges upon receipt of this directive. In addition, the following signs are to be removed upon receipt of this message:

1.. 'Islamic Religious Services Will Be Held at the Firing Range at 0800 Daily.'

2. 'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

All commands are instructed to implement sensitivity training upon receipt

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 09:32 am
An Army grunt sitting in a

An Army grunt sitting in a foxhole, eating MREs and wearing 50lbs of gear after having marched 12 miles, says: "This sucks."

A Navy seaman sitting on his 5' X 2' bunk, in a closet-sized room smelling of oil and rolling from the waves, which he shares with 6 other men, after not having seen the sky for 30 days says: "this really sucks".

A Marine, doing push-ups in the mud during a downpour, after an 18 mile march with 60 lbs of gear, says: "I love the way this sucks, oorah!"

The Special Forces green beret crawling through a leech-infested swamp, eating nothing but bugs and tree bark for 6 days, sneaking around past armed terrorists, says: "I wish this could suck some more!"

An Air Force pilot sitting in an easy chair in an air conditioned hotel, holding a remote control, says: "no cable? this sucks!"

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/26/10 - 09:36 am
Lunch for yesterday's waste

Lunch for yesterday's waste of time summit was provided by the American Pediatric Society. Democrats dined on filet mignon, twice baked taters, and greens. GOP were served Hot Dogs, large hard candies, and sharp edged chips.

Glad to see SOMEONE read my posts about choking hazards.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 09:47 am
Just a remider that Iraq is

Just a remider that Iraq is "Bush 43's war" -

On this date:

In 1991, U.S. Marines entered Kuwait City as Iraqi troops retreated.

In 1992, a U.N. report accused Iraq of systematic human rights violations including "brutal torture" and "widespread arbitrary and summary executions" during its occupation of Kuwait.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/26/10 - 09:48 am
Petey, I am glad U see that

Petey, I am glad U see that this is just another "Suckey Day"

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 09:52 am
Hey, it's a sunny and clear

Hey, it's a sunny and clear Friday. I'll light my global warming kettle grill and plug in the deep fryer for burgers and fries and jalepeno poppers for lunch. I'm doing my part!

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/26/10 - 09:52 am
Cobalt & Petey. I thank you

Cobalt & Petey. I thank you gentlemen ( using the term extremely loosely) for a morning chuckle. Sensitivity training ...*Guffaws*

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/26/10 - 09:54 am
Jalapeno poppers AKA

Jalapeno poppers AKA armadillo eggs. Luv 'em. What time is lunch Petey?

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 10:03 am
Whenever I can find my lost

Whenever I can find my lost round tuit. C'mon over!

Oh, do you know how to find the USAF fighter pilot at a luncheon with 250 strangers?

Just wait about 10 mins and he'll tell ya!

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 10:07 am
dichotomy - That is one

dichotomy - That is one reason I am "Mr Petey" now and the MSgt part comes after my name, right before the "USAF (ret)". Not being allowed to kill terrorists because there might be women in the houses that harbor and feed them also played a big part. "It's okay to drop bombs and launch missiles, just don't hurt anybody"

MartinezCitizen
MartinezCitizen 02/26/10 - 10:07 am
To the parent of a special

To the parent of a special needs child: Try this...
Kathy Cox
State Superintendent
of Schools
2066 Twin Towers East
205 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive SE
Atlanta, GA 30334
(404) 656-2800
(404) 651-8737
state.superintendent@
doe.k12.ga.us

countyman
19099
countyman 02/26/10 - 10:19 am
For the 100th time. The

For the 100th time. The mayor's plan isn't just a baseball stadium. The project is a multi-use facility. Condos, offices, retail, entertainment, restaurants, green space, and a baseball stadium.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/10 - 10:22 am
FOR KSL....Shrimp w/pepper

FOR KSL....Shrimp w/pepper jack grits & gravy.. 4 cups water...1/3 cup heavy cream..1/2 stick butter..1 1/2 teasp. salt... 1 cup grits.. 1/4 lb. pepper jack cheese diced.....GRAVY--1/4cup white wine..1shallot diced..1 garlic clove minced..2 cups heavy cream..1 1/2 teasp. ground blk pepper . 1/2 teasp. salt .. 1 lb. large shrimp .. 1tablsp. butter...make the grits cook 15-20 mins.....make gravy cook 5mins.turn to low & addcream pepper salt last...cookon low 10 mins.....abbrev. or sub as you like... We love shrimp/grits....missed your question last night...just too tired from watching the news..lol

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/26/10 - 10:22 am
countyman - Peddle the snake

countyman - Peddle the snake oil elsewhere. The constant prattling is just being ignored. A fable about a boy and a wolf comes to mind....

JustMe
JustMe 02/26/10 - 10:23 am
Yes Mom, you need to actually

Yes Mom, you need to actually GO to the school!!!!

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/26/10 - 10:29 am
An F-117 was flying escort

An F-117 was flying escort with a B-52 and generally making a nuisance of himself by flying rolls around the lumbering old bomber. The message for the B-52 crew was, "Anything you can do, I can do better."

Not to be outdone, the bomber pilot announced that he would rise to the challenge. The B-52 continued its flight, straight and level, however.

Perplexed, the fighter pilot asked, "So? What did you do?"

"We just shut down two engines."