Bobby's back in business

AIKEN - Bobby Griffin Jr. carefully placed words on his restaurant's marquee to show his appreciation for his customers Wednesday morning.

Back | Next
Longtime customers and friends came for lunch at the restaurant.  Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Longtime customers and friends came for lunch at the restaurant.

"Thank you for 25 years, and we're looking forward to 25 more. God willing," the sign reads.

By lunchtime, Bobby's Bar-B-Que's customers thanked him back.

The parking lot was packed with the cars and trucks of longtime customers and friends Wednesday afternoon who had waited more than a week to return to the popular barbecue buffet.

"Last week was miserable," said Linda Webb, who eats at Bobby's every Wednesday with her co-workers. "If we didn't get some barbecue soon, it would not have been good."

The restaurant shut down from Feb. 15 until Tuesday while owners held a court-ordered auction to help settle tax debt with the state Department of Revenue. The auction was part of a Chapter 11 restructuring plan.

Griffin, whose father owned the restaurant before his death in 2008, bought the restaurant's contents at the auction last week and now owns the restaurant.

"We got a pretty good crowd. Probably better than I thought it would be," he said. "We're just happy we can keep the doors open and the people happy."

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/25/10 - 05:44 am
Can someone please explain to

Can someone please explain to me why this restaurant is getting so much coverage in the paper lately?? I mean, aren't there many other businesses that have also gone through dire economic times? You don't see them getting THIS MUCH press! Yeah, I'm glad this place can get back on it's feet, but come on. Are we to also look for a "How's Bobby's Doing a Week After Re-opening?" story??? Enough already!

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/25/10 - 07:17 am
I initially though the same

I initially though the same thing, J M O. Then, upon reconsideration, I thought of the press the business got as it buckled under the death tax burden. No matter how it was covered, it came across as negative. The positive article on its reopening is a good balance and continuation of the other half of the coverage. It's certainly more positive than the first article.

deekster
deekster 02/25/10 - 09:54 am
Bobby's is a great place to

Bobby's is a great place to eat BB QUE. Its other claim to fame is the "parade of local politicos" who dine, smile and greet the "little people". The last time I was there a group of African American politicos were "crowning a new Obama appointee". Man, those guys dress "sharp" in public.

Newsreader
Newsreader 02/25/10 - 10:04 am
Yeah, I think it is great

Yeah, I think it is great that they beat the tax man. I guess if I don't pay the taxes due to the state, my son can just buy everything at the auction and it stay in the family. What if I went to the resturant and decided to "auction" my bill could I pay less than list price? Seems to me that they had poor estate planning and the taxpayers of South Carolina are the only losers. I am sure I will not be missed at the resturant.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 02/25/10 - 10:06 am
Yeah, looks like ol' girl has

Yeah, looks like ol' girl has been a customer for a while.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/25/10 - 10:12 am
Who cares if they beat the

Who cares if they beat the tax man? The main thing is they were able to salvage the business, and were not left out in the cold. Bobby's is a great BBQ buffet restaraunt, and I can't wait to get back over there!

Nothing else to say
Nothing else to say 02/25/10 - 11:30 am
Newsreader you need to be

Newsreader you need to be better informed before you make a comment.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 02/25/10 - 12:35 pm
Newsreader is informed. The

Newsreader is informed. The Griifin family skated by and got out of paying the taxes it owed due to their lack of personal responsibility and poor planning. The bigger problem is the overall tax code but it has been known for a long time. The taxpayers just kept the worst BBQ restaurant in the area open a little longer. It doesn't hold a candle to Shealys, Dukes, Carolina, Sconyers, etc.