Campaign aims to make chicken Georgia's state bird

Campaign aims to make poultry Georgia's state bird

Chris Cunningham believes it only makes sense to flip the birds.

The Wierhouse team -- Alex Wier (from left), Daniel Stewart, Lauren Williamson, Stephanie Johnston and Leonard Zimmerman Jr. -- has taken on a project that aims to change Georgia's state bird from the brown thrasher to the Cornish chicken. The campaign is called Flip the Birds.   Jackie Ricciardi/Staff
Jackie Ricciardi/Staff

Cunningham, the president of Wife Saver Inc., is heading an effort to change the state bird. The brown thrasher, a migratory songbird, holds the honor. Cunningham wants to see the Cornish chicken claim that perch.

"It started as kind of a joke," he said. "I was just sitting on my porch having a couple of cocktails and watching some thrashers in my yard. We laughed about it. But the more we talked about it, the more it seemed to make sense."

Cunningham took the idea to Alex Wier and Daniel Stewart at Wierhouse, an Augusta design and advertising agency. Georgia, they discovered, runs on chicken.

"That's the great thing about this," Wier said. "When we researched this, it became really obvious. There is no argument for the brown thrasher."

According to the Flip the Birds Web site, the poultry industry contributes more than $15 billion annually to the state's economy. Georgia has been the largest chicken producer in the country for more than 25 years and ranks behind only the United States, China and Brazil in chicken production.

"Without the chicken, Georgia would be up a creek," Cunningham said.

Set up as a grass-roots effort, the Flip the Birds campaign is both silly and serious. Cunningham is keeping his chicken-centric business interests separate from the campaign while he and the Wierhouse team line up lobbyists and construct a case. They have printed up Flip the Birds can koozies, yard signs and stickers, and built a Web site that praises the chicken and smears ("It's migratory!") the thrasher.

"If you want to get people's attention, you have to use levity," Cunningham said. "Besides, it isn't like we are trying to change something James Oglethorpe started here. The brown thrasher wasn't officially named the state bird until 1970."

The Flip the Birds site is collecting online petition signatures and urging visitors to e-mail state representatives. Cunningham admits it's possible his chicken movement might fail but contends the exposure can only help the poultry industry.

Stewart said he loves the idea of not only deposing the thrasher but also of empowering people. He said the campaign is as much about allowing people to be heard as it is addressing an issue.

"People are tired," he said. "The government has made them tired. The financial world has made them tired. We just thought it was time to have something that people could have a real influence on."

Although the Flip the Birds movement has been gathering followers, nobody knows how that will translate in the long term. There could come a time, Wier said, when they discover their goose -- or chicken as the case may be -- is cooked.

"This whole thing was either brilliant or stupid," he said. "We just don't know. But we had to find out."

Georgia chickens

- Georgia is the largest poultry-producing state in the country.

- Georgia trails only the United States, China and Brazil in chicken production.

- The poultry industry contributes more than $15 billion to the state's economy annually.

- Georgia chicken production accounts for 16 percent of the United States' total.

- More than 47,000 Georgia residents are directly employed by the poultry industry. More than 77,000 are indirectly employed.

Source: www.flipthebirds.com

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/24/10 - 07:43 am
While sitting on the porch

While sitting on the porch with friends, having a few drinks, I've invented time travel, world peace and honorable government. After a little rest and a chance to think about my great ideas, I moved on with my life.

lady_alessandra
lady_alessandra 02/24/10 - 08:11 am
With all the bad news in the

With all the bad news in the world and all the horrible things which happen every day, what's wrong with taking a few minutes to poke a little fun at the world? Humor is a good medicine.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/24/10 - 08:48 am
The notion to change the

The notion to change the state bird from brown thrasher to chicken started as a joke over cocktails. I hope it remains a joke.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/24/10 - 09:31 am
In the area wher I live,

In the area wher I live, there seems to be an overabundance of Crows, so we should change the state bird to a Crow. Now that makes sense! Stay tuned for web site development and an address for donations

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/24/10 - 09:33 am
People like to complain about

People like to complain about useless articles appearing in the AC, well this is certainly one of them.

deekster
deekster 02/24/10 - 12:14 pm
I feel a "Foul Pride Parade"

I feel a "Foul Pride Parade" in the making. LOL

gabassist
gabassist 02/24/10 - 12:17 pm
Why is it necessary to point

Why is it necessary to point out that Georgia produces fewer chickens than the United States?

msgret92
msgret92 02/24/10 - 01:11 pm
Guess I'll have to boycott

Guess I'll have to boycott what was my favorite chicken joint to protest this lame brain idea.

ripjones
ripjones 02/24/10 - 01:25 pm
Must not really be your

Must not really be your "favorite" chicken joint, if this is all it takes to make you want to boycott it. I'm actually quite satisfied with the current State Bird, whether or not they are only migratory.

msgret92
msgret92 02/24/10 - 03:55 pm
Rip it is my favorite but if

Rip it is my favorite but if the President of wife saver wants to spend the amount of taxpayer dollars it would take for this, he doesn't need any of my money to help his liberal agenda.

msgret92
msgret92 02/24/10 - 06:45 pm
If the state bird is changed

If the state bird is changed to the chicken, the chicken should become protected in the state. Where will this leave all the chicken joints?

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 02/24/10 - 06:43 pm
I'm not sure about thrashers

I'm not sure about thrashers being migratory, I see them all year (robins, too). They are also the only birds that eat web catipillars. That alone is enough to make me want to keep them as the state bird.

corgimom
corgimom 02/24/10 - 07:40 pm
I'm pretty sure the

I'm pretty sure the Chik-Fil-A cows are gonna love this.

SNOB30904
SNOB30904 02/24/10 - 09:26 pm
I think its a great idea!

I think its a great idea! FLIP THE BIRD! FLIP THE BIRD!

ranman
ranman 02/24/10 - 10:37 pm
Why would we want the state

Why would we want the state bird changed to the buzzard of the barnyard?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/24/10 - 10:46 pm
deekster, we already have a

deekster, we already have a foul pride parade in the making. This may lead to a fowl pride parade.

UGA seeks Gurley reinstatement

ATHENS, Ga. -- Georgia will file paperwork today with the NCAA to seek reinstatement for suspended star running back Todd Gurley, the school said in an announcement Wednesday morning.