Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

Monday Night Rasslin' at the Bell sounds like a blast, but I say let's give the matches some local flavor. How about a cage match duel between Woody Merry and Bill "Brass Knuckles" Fennoy and Butch Palmer vs. the "riffraff"?

To the person who is bothered by the Bush/Cheney and McCain/Palin bumper stickers: I keep mine on to show people that I made the right choice. I will keep them on my vehicle until Super Dummy is out of office.

I am one of those people who still have stickers on my vehicles supporting Bush/Cheney and McCain/Palin. The last thing I want is for anyone to think that I in any way contributed to the mess in this country brought on by President Obama's leadership. I have been around 91 years, remember the Great Depression. It was not this terrible. People respected each other and felt like the leaders in government told the truth.

A Rant to Columbia County for purchasing buses from one particular company because the mechanics only know how to fix them as a rationale for spending millions of dollars. Why not buy a good bus, at reasonable cost, and then retrain the mechanics to fix it? Another embarrassing "Mayberry" situation. Looks like Goober is running the school bus garage.

A huge rant for the Richmond County deputy who cut me off on Wrightsboro Road. He pulled out in front of me, causing me to hit my brakes. Then he pulled into the left lane and cut that guy off, too. When the light went from red to green, he gunned it (using about $5 in taxpayer gas) to get to the next red light. And then gunned it again to get to the next light. I know those fast cars are fun, guys, but please, use some discipline when using taxpayer gas.

A great big rave to all who submitted photos of our snowstorm last weekend. It is such a pleasure to see so many happy kids, as well as adults, out there enjoying such a rare event for this area. A special rave for those who submitted the pictures of nature in its undeniable beauty. The extraordinary bird photos were an extra treat, worthy of framing. As messy as it may be afterwards, it is certainly worth every minute of it while it is happening.

This is a rave for the sign on Interstate 20 that points people toward the Georgia Golf Hall of Fame and Gardens at the Washington Road exit. Where is the sign for Regency Mall? How about the Augusta Speedway?

City Administrator Fred Russell says he's "been a little busy," implying that he is too busy to handle a mere $498,000 as important. Sounds like while seated politicians need to be voted out at each election, so do administrators.

Tell us what you think
Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/19/10 - 06:22 am
Maybe, just "maybe", that

Maybe, just "maybe", that deputy was responding to a call and was trying to get there as fast as possible without lights and sirens. If the ranter is ever in an unfortunate circumstance that requires law enforcement, I don't think how much fuel the responder is using will still be a factor.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/19/10 - 06:25 am
If the school bus/vehicle

If the school bus/vehicle shop already has the tools, expertise and common parts inventory to service particular brands of buses, trucks, cars etc, I think it makes sense to continue with those brands unless there is an EXTREME price and quality difference compared to another (which I doubt).

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/19/10 - 06:29 am
A Rant to the AC's

A Rant to the AC's "Discussion" page still not being functional. It ceased to work early in the afternoon on the 18th. How about it, y'all?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/19/10 - 06:41 am
What Georgia Golf Hall of

What Georgia Golf Hall of Fame and Gardens???

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/19/10 - 06:43 am
I need coffee, I now realize

I need coffee, I now realize the sarcasm in the Hall of Fame post.

msgret92
msgret92 02/19/10 - 07:08 am
Petey, if you read the

Petey, if you read the article that the ranter is referring to in the News Times, you will find out that made the bid proposal so restrictive that only one company could bid.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/19/10 - 07:18 am
Seems that when I was a

Seems that when I was a busines owner and bids with restrictions were offered I had 2 choices, either make arangements to meet the requirements or not bid.

msgret92
msgret92 02/19/10 - 07:27 am
When the proposal requires a

When the proposal requires a particular manufacturer it doesn't leave the business owner much option.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/19/10 - 07:37 am
msgret - If the shop is set

msgret - If the shop is set up to handle Bluebird (or whatever) buses, it makes sense to keep that infrastructure in place to me. That's a good way to keep maintenance costs down to a minimum. Brand specialized tools and diagnostic equipment are expensive, regardless of any additional training required. Just simple basic sound business practices.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/19/10 - 07:41 am
Can we get a sign on I 20

Can we get a sign on I 20 that points to where the old WhataBurger used to be? I think it's a really historical parking lot now!!

cristinadh
cristinadh 02/19/10 - 07:44 am
I am having an affair..

I am having an affair..

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/19/10 - 07:49 am
Would you like a sign on I 20

Would you like a sign on I 20 Pointing to the location? I'm sure DOPE, excuse me DOT could arrange it!!

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/19/10 - 07:59 am
I hope it rains all week

I hope it rains all week during the Master's and Tiger stays home. It's a rant to the National and their giant parking lot to nowhere.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/19/10 - 08:11 am
Why is nobody complaining

Why is nobody complaining about the Ron Paul BILLBOARDS that are still up?

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/19/10 - 08:29 am

http://reasontostand.org/archives/2010/02/19/is-it-ok-for-christians-to-... ...see, even the Bible agrees with you gun owners....(Tipping my hat)

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/19/10 - 08:31 am
The "discussion" page is

The "discussion" page is working again (for now).

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/19/10 - 08:54 am
....about a cage match duel

....about a cage match duel between Woody Merry and Bill "Brass Knuckles" Fennoy and Butch Palmer vs. the "riffraff"?
Ranter should work as writer... this is funny stuff!

.... have been around 91 years, remember the Great Depression. It was not this terrible. People respected each other and felt like the leaders in government told the truth.
I'm not 91, but I don't put stickers on my truck.

...like Goober is running the school bus garage.
Heaven forbid someone is using foresight enough to eliminate retraining costs.

...use some discipline when using taxpayer gas.
Have you hugged a speeding law enforcement officer today?

... it is certainly worth every minute of it while it is happening.
The snow and the pics are beautiful. I got at least 15 yrs worth of fun. See the snow again in 2025.

...Where is the sign for Regency Mall? How about the Augusta Speedway?
Where is the sign "Slow. Richmond County Residents crossing?

...while seated politicians need to be voted out at each election, so do administrators. I don't recall Fred ever running for the appointed office.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/19/10 - 09:14 am
CBBP, ate at a Whataburger

CBBP, ate at a Whataburger while stranded in Dallas during the snowstorm last week. Brought back good memories. In Austin today. Record snow in Dallas, now the plane/IRS event in Austin, a black cloud is following me. Wonder what will happen in Boston next week.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/19/10 - 09:17 am
I have notice now for about a

I have notice now for about a week, There are no real issues in the R&R, Letters to the Editor or Headlines about the president "Obama". I wonder why that is? There is a lot going on and yet nothing published. Has AC been band?

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/19/10 - 09:18 am
CG: The calm before the next

CG: The calm before the next storm.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/19/10 - 09:18 am
Health care is about to raise

Health care is about to raise it's ugly head...

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/19/10 - 09:19 am
... file taxes early to avoid

... file taxes early to avoid being given IOU's.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/19/10 - 09:24 am
Wonder what will happen in

Wonder what will happen in Boston next week.JTF: An Aerosmith concert?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/19/10 - 09:21 am
I just thought is was because

I just thought is was because of me due to all the nice things I have been saying about him.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/19/10 - 09:22 am
If he's trying to do "a

If he's trying to do "a Clinton" I wish him all the luck in the world.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/19/10 - 09:30 am
In the news this am....A

In the news this am....A Penn. school bought 1800 laptops to give to the students...just failed to tell them that the webcam could be remotely turned on & everything going on around the webcam could be seen...EVERYTHING.. undressing...parents ...bathroom..needless to say lawsuits are now ongoing...Do we have ANY privacy anymore?? Cobalt has told me I would be surprised @ things that are done now w/computers.. I guess this is what he means..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/19/10 - 09:31 am
News tid bit, JAL ask thier

News tid bit, JAL ask thier government for a bail out but was refused, The value of their stock closed at 1 yen. a few hours ago. Some very happy Japanese.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/19/10 - 09:32 am
If you are a trader, buy

If you are a trader, buy short today.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/19/10 - 09:34 am
A Penn. school bought 1800

We're making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty or nice, Big Brother's coming to town.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/19/10 - 09:35 am
The only thing I'm trading

The only thing I'm trading today is a few hours of labor/configuration for excessive compensation. Happy Friday y'all.