Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

We had an increase in GDP and profits last quarter. I guess the bailouts worked. Or could it be that this is mostly due to reduced employee costs and worker benefits? What do you unemployed think?

Will the politicians in Columbia County follow Richmond County by not asking the voters for a sales tax increase at a time when everyone is in a crunch? I would not hesitate to do my shopping where I could save a penny on every dollar I spent and would advise all I came into contact with to do the same.

This rant is for the school board. We don't need to give Dana Bedden a raise to keep him here. Let him go to Texas and make more money. We need to promote somebody from within our school system to be superintendent, like we used to do . I know we have people that are qualified.

If we can have Black History Month in February, then we should have American Indian Month in April or May because that's when they celebrated life and the planting of the crops. This was their country, and we came and took everything from them. Now, more than 200 years later, they still are not any better off than they were when we put them on the reservation.

There I was, 10 a.m., sitting on Walton Way, waiting for a long train to go by. It gave me plenty of time to think about Deke and his ridiculous idea for another stadium when the stadium we have now is just fine. Don't you think that we could put that money to use building bridges over the railroad tracks on a busy road like Walton Way so that people who have to go to work won't be late? I think that would be a much better idea, Deke.

Hillary Clinton says Iran is becoming a dictatorship. Iran has been a dictatorship historically. Just holding a vote doesn't make a country democratic or a republic. Stalin used to hold elections. Hillary and Obama combined are like putting the Marx Brothers in charge. Of course, once off stage, the Marx Brothers went back to being their normal, intelligent selves.

This is a rant to the police who frequently drive 50-plus mph on a two-way Hereford Farm Road while phone texting or reading their computers. One of you almost swerved into my lane and it could've been a disaster. But if the roles were reversed, I would've been in handcuffs.

People are pulled over by police because they just left a drughouse. Do you see a problem here? Why not bust the drughouse? Problem solved.

A rant to all those pulpwood trucks going to International Paper. Why don't you use start using Interstate 520 instead of going through Belvedere and North Augusta? It has almost no traffic and was built so you could avoid city traffic.

Tell us what you think
Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 02/18/10 - 04:03 am
Really? A rant because

Really? A rant because people were pulled over leaving a potentially known drug house? No matter what the police do they will never please the public in general. And, if you want to know the real answers so bad, then become a police officer or at least do a ride a long and see what they go through on a daily basis. As for hiring from within the school system that barely graduates 50% of its students, well really that says enough as it is....

Troubled1
Troubled1 02/18/10 - 04:32 am
to the 3rd rant......isnt

to the 3rd rant......isnt hiring within the system what gave us dr larke??? no thank you, i will pass, last thing we need is another one of him.....

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/18/10 - 04:54 am
We do not want to be like

We do not want to be like Richmond County, thank you very much. If you miss it, move back there.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/18/10 - 04:58 am
Asitis - I think the "public

Asitis - I think the "public in general" recognizes and appreciates the fine job our law enforcement folks do for all of us and the community. To me it looks like somebody got stopped before they could enjoy the baggie they had just purchased.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/10 - 07:32 am
Indian history month,, I

Indian history month,, I could go for that..They deserve it most of all. 1 cent on the dollar, well that means EVERYONE would have to pay tax even the illegals..Just read that some muslim malaysian women were caned this month..They were guilty of drinking alcohol or having sex outside of marriage...So if you think that's the religion you need ... go for it...I kinda like it here...Really can't see why ANY woman would want some of that..

Martinez
Martinez 02/18/10 - 07:42 am
Seenit - not sure I

Seenit - not sure I understand your Indian / Muslim reference. If you are referring to the Country of India, Islam is not the primary religion. Like the U.S., the population consist of many religions, Islam not being the primary. I believe the Ranter was referring to Indian history as in Native American.

Martinez
Martinez 02/18/10 - 07:48 am
Hiring from within for the RC

Hiring from within for the RC Sup. job..... sure if you want to maintain the status quo. I would rather they find someone with a proven track record that can improve RC Schools. The problem isn't the Sup. though, the problem is systemic and would require a complete shake up of a lot of long term but uneffective employees. This community tends to balk at change so I doubt that would go over well.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/10 - 07:56 am
Martinez... The Indians in

Martinez... The Indians in this country deserve a month.. My rant about the women in Maylaysia was a whole lot off subject here... just ranting cause I just read this article on google & it makes me mad that some females are still beaten...off topic , which happens often here. lol

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/18/10 - 07:59 am
Mornin all. Here's a rant

Mornin all. Here's a rant about the 15-yr-old kid who shot the pregnant girl. When will we all realize that guns kill? Sure it found itself in the hands of an immature teen who had no business with the gun, but imagine how it may have turned out if the teen had no gun available. I think the girl would still be alive and so would her unborn child. He would not have jumped her and beat her to death...it was just too easy to pull a gun and fire it....yeah I've gone on about this a lot, and people with guns kill people...people w/o guns aren't as likely to kill other people...so guns are a problem..no matter what anyone else has to say about it. That's my buck-fifty worth. Ya'll have at it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/10 - 08:09 am
ZENO You live in lala land

ZENO You live in lala land somewhere..I can't believe it but I agree with zoe,,,the crooks will ALWAYS have a gun.. Law doesn't matter. Wake up & smell the coffeee.

Just me 2
Just me 2 02/18/10 - 08:18 am
I agree with the Indian

I agree with the Indian History Month idea!

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 02/18/10 - 08:22 am
I agree that the Native

I agree that the Native Americans (or Indians as they used to be incorrectly called) got a raw deal and have seldom been treated correctly, but I don't think we need a month dedicated to their history or anyone else for that matter. There are only twelve months in the year and if we start designating months to every group of people that have been persecuted or treated wrongly, we will run out of months.

Just me 2
Just me 2 02/18/10 - 08:23 am
Come on now, think about it,

Come on now, think about it, that gun DID NOT, of its own accord, get up and go shoot anyone. Maybe, one day people will understand that shooting someone is not going to solve their problems. It will just make them have new MAJOR problems. And will also hurt many people other than the one they have shot.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/10 - 08:24 am
Why can't we have a FEMALE

Why can't we have a FEMALE month of the year.. Women have been very imp.in this country... We also waited a looong time b4 we could vote..own property & etc. some would say we have been treated like 2nd class citizens for a long tme..well come to think of it maybe we should get compensated for this..actually the black man got the vote b4 we did..I want my money NOW!!!!

Just me 2
Just me 2 02/18/10 - 08:25 am
Well, then The Native

Well, then The Native Americans deserve their history month before anyone else!

Just me 2
Just me 2 02/18/10 - 08:27 am
If we are going to have a

If we are going to have a Black History month, why should we not have a Native American month? Maybe it would be a good idea to have a certain month to study each race.

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 02/18/10 - 08:32 am
You can try to justify anti

You can try to justify anti gun laws if you want to, but knives and blunt instruments also kill, and the boy could have just as easily stabbed the girl or beat her over the head as to have shot her. l, personally, have never felt the need to have a gun for protection, but I defend the right for anyone to own one if that is what they want.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 02/18/10 - 08:35 am
How do you uninvent guns?

How do you uninvent guns?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/10 - 08:40 am
After looking this up on

After looking this up on google... The black man got the right to vote 50 years b4 the woman got this right...blackman in 1870.. females in 1920..We of course have a black Pres. b4 a woman Pres...BUT 50 YEARS..to wait to vote!!! If anyone needs to be mad as he!! it's the female race....good thing u guys come in handy sometimes...lol

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/18/10 - 08:56 am
Why is it so difficult to

Why is it so difficult to tell Barack Obama jokes?

Democrats don't think they are funny.

Republicans don't think they are jokes.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/18/10 - 09:05 am
Petey, that's about the most

Petey, that's about the most intelligent thing I've read lately!!

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 02/18/10 - 09:10 am
If you get caught by a train

If you get caught by a train at 10am on Walton Way I am sure someone else can heat up the fry grease at Wendy's before you get there. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/10 - 09:13 am
Coldbeer... I have some

Coldbeer... I have some photos of some redneck good ole boys.. They would look good in front of your coldbeer shack.. Since some are "family" don't know if I can get away with posting their photo...They don't read much though (too busy in the woods) maybe I can try to put the photo on here..

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/18/10 - 09:16 am
We had an increase in GDP and

I'm not unemployed however, if the GDP hadn't shown improvement, we'd be fearing catastrophe. You see, the number you are citing is compared to 2008 4th qtr.

They may ask all they want. The voters make the final decision.

Don't know whatcha got, till it's gone.

They took the whole Cherokee Nation
And put us on this reservation,Took away our ways of life,the tomahawk and the bow and knife,They took away our native tongue,And taught their English to our young,And all the beads we made by hand,Are nowadays made in Japan

Encourage deep thinking in Richmond County make longer train delays!

Many Americans feel Iran isn't the nation most close to becoming a dictatorship.

Last I checked, people aren't handcuffed for traffic violations. Maybe you were referring to another crime you'd been busted for?

Thank you Ken Nugent.

Because it's still quicker?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/18/10 - 09:16 am
That might work!!

That might work!!

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/18/10 - 09:18 am
Wb CBBP. You cannot keep a

Wb CBBP. You cannot keep a good man down, and you too!

Same to you buddy

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/18/10 - 09:25 am
I'm not Paul Harvey......

I'm not Paul Harvey...... page 2

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/18/10 - 09:40 am
Thanks Aye, although this

Thanks Aye, although this headcold going around is doing a pretty good job of it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/10 - 10:02 am
This is a RANT.... Do you

This is a RANT.... Do you ever have a post removed & you don't know why...have you ever posted the same words others use & theirs remain & your post goes by by...well just wondering...it seems like the twilight zone sometimes....how does that theme song go dadad dede dada..

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/18/10 - 10:06 am
This is a RANT.... Do you

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.