Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

A story says public education "learning centers" are to be established at three Richmond County schools. Aren't schools supposed to be centers of learning? The school board says it "needs the alternate funding, ways to get materials and resources to our students." When you get down to the nitty-gritty, the only materials needed by a decent teacher are pencil and paper, maybe a couple of books. Should that cost an extra $350,000? Will Americans learn that throwing money at problems is rarely a cure?

To the woman that accosted the man in Walmart because she thought he didn't look handicapped: I can't walk, and I don't look handicapped either. Should we wear a sign? Thank your lucky stars that wasn't me you approached.

How can you justify increasing the salary of Dr. Bedden, school superintendent, and some atheletic director by thousands of dollars? Gov. Perdue put a freeze on all state employees' salaries and made them take six days off this fiscal year without pay.

Augusta Mall is now horribly congested with loitering folks who have no shopping bags in hand nor any intention of buying anything. Anyone remember Regency Mall before it went down?

Bring back Monday Night Rasslin' to The Bell and watch the people and money flow back to downtown. Not all of us can afford $75 concert tickets, nor are we particularly fond of Broadway musicals.

Give politicians a furlough day? Are you serious? They already have more time off than the average five Americans. Best to turn them out of office. Then they can have all the time off they want, or better yet , get a real job.

The ranter complaining about trips by our president apparently has no sense of true diplomacy or international responsibility, just like George Bush. Obama has had to repair a lot of the gaffes and miscommunications from the eight years before, and he's doing a fine job of it. At least we are laughed at a lot less than in the past administration.

Here's hoping that Richmond County follows many other school districts in Georgia and cuts the graduation coaches' positions. The non-classroom positions need to be the first cuts. Next in line should be the literacy and math coaches. These teachers do not interact with students. These positions were created when money was plentiful and school districts could spend it unwisely. Now it is time to place the money where it will be most effective for the student population.

Once again Mayor Copenhaver wants something big and expensive (another stadium) built in Augusta with government involvement. Will somebody tell him that if something big should be built, private entrepreneurs will figure it out and do it with their money?

Tell us what you think
Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 04:27 am
Actually, the major result of

Actually, the major result of the President's foreign visits has been that the US has been told "No" more times than in previous history. They are ALL laughing at him, and by extension, us. When even the French are mocking us, you know it's bad. If your only friends are named Castro and Chavez, it might be time to take another look at "strategy". Besides, most of this should be the SecState's job, do we have one? I'm dreading the foreign policy implications of the 2012 Democrat primary. Both Barry and Hillary will be out on the road going after each other and NObody in the administration will be paying any attention to what the rest of the world is doing.

NEone
NEone 02/10/10 - 04:23 am
The graduation coach I know

The graduation coach I know spent one-on-one time with students every single day. The purpose of the job is to help the at-risk kids to graduate, not to unnecessarily use up the budget.

NEone
NEone 02/10/10 - 04:24 am
I've shopped at Augusta Mall

I've shopped at Augusta Mall and not found what I wanted/needed. Does that make me a loiterer?

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 04:39 am
NEone, only if you've got

NEone, only if you've got your pants on da ground.

debby
debby 02/10/10 - 05:05 am
Lowes in Evans, the flooring

Lowes in Evans, the flooring department in particular, has the worst customer service that I have seen in many years. All I ask is that you call when you say you will call, correct mistakes made by your employees and treat me like you want me to come back. How hard can that be? If you are in the market for flooring, do not go to Lowes in Evans.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 05:36 am
A Rave for the weather today!

A Rave for the weather today! It's going to be a great day for fishing on the lake and grilling unless it gets breezy or chilly!

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/10/10 - 05:57 am
Petey it will be breezy and

Petey it will be breezy and chilly...I've already ventured out. Anybody on here live in Natl hills or know why power is out since 5 a.m. from Kroger to IHOP?

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 06:53 am
Zeno, a tree was blown down

Zeno, a tree was blown down and fell on a power line back off Eisenhower Dr according to RCSO radio traffic. Ga Power is on scene and working on it. Time to wake up your sarcasm bone re: my "unless it's gets breezy....".

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/10/10 - 06:02 am
nah,just hate missing the

nah,just hate missing the Jenny Cam becuz of no power...I'll get thru the misery of it though...

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/10/10 - 06:03 am

Thank goodness for laptop stick and battery ....would be disconnected altogether w/o them.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/10/10 - 06:04 am
Rant #7, RCR can now claim to

Rant #7, RCR can now claim to be a published Author!!

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 02/10/10 - 06:05 am
Monday night "rasslin"? I've

Monday night "rasslin"? I've never understood why people enjoy watching the violent behavior of boxers and wrestlers trying to beat each others brains out and put the "hurts" on another human being. Maybe they are not human, maybe they are "animals" fighting for dominance. And people are willing to pay hard earned money to see that stuff!

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 06:08 am
To make it even more fun,

To make it even more fun, there are scattered patches of ice in various roadways this morning too. I don't have exact locations to pass along, just be careful out there!

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 06:17 am
CT - You could have stopped

CT - You could have stopped after "I've never understood why...." Obviously, there are many folks who do enjoy this type of entertainment since these sports, and MMA especially, are rapidly expanding.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/10/10 - 06:27 am
Yes we do remember what

Yes we do remember what happened to Regency Mall & it wasn't pretty. Too many pants on the ground & not enough buying customers..Security,, security,, security is needed in large malls.. Not trying to use scare tactics but the new terror tactic is said to be large malls, large events,, & etc. all over the nation..This is coming from sources that have been right in the past.. Just be careful & aware of everything around you all the time....pleeeaase..

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/10/10 - 06:40 am
Power's back on..gotta hand

Power's back on..gotta hand it to the GaPwr crews...an efficient bunch of folks...thanks Petey for the assist.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/10/10 - 06:47 am
Thanks Zeno,, we have kin

Thanks Zeno,, we have kin with Ga. Power & they are quality workers.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/10/10 - 06:50 am
Zeno, ya'll just remember 30

Zeno, ya'll just remember 30 minutes before, those Ga Power crews were in their nice warm bed, then out in the cold wind up in a bucket restoring your power. I know what they go through and don't envy them.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/10/10 - 06:56 am
Like I said, an efficient

Like I said, an efficient bunch...we get power outages a lot in Natl Hills..don't know why,,maybe the National is using more than their share... but whatever reason, GP is out of their warm beds into the cold or wet or windy or whatever weather...and power is back on usually within two hrs...gotta luv 'em.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 07:01 am
But y'all know what the GOOD

But y'all know what the GOOD news is? Conditions like this cause a dramatic drop in the normal "street crimes", bandannas or not!

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/10/10 - 07:16 am
Even dumb crooks know enough

Even dumb crooks know enough to get out of the cold...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/10/10 - 07:28 am
Learning centers will be a

Learning centers will be a good thing.. I've always said school should last till 5pm.. Keep the little brains busy doing positive things..less time to get in trouble & end up in jail.. kids should have to read a book every week & make a book report on it.. look what reading did for Oprah.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/10/10 - 07:28 am
No contract negotiations or

No contract negotiations or salary increases for a guy who says he applied for a job elsewhere..i would not try to keep someone here with cash incentives if they are already seeking outside work...would you?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/10/10 - 07:36 am
Good Morning Everybody, A few

Good Morning Everybody, A few good ones today for debate. I have to take my Veteran who we have been caring for over 20 years to his VA appointment. See you all this afternoon. Remember "No PC" and dodge Sean's silver bullet.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 07:37 am
I have no problem with an

I have no problem with an employee who's contract is about to end to put out feelers for higher-paying and more responsibility positions. I don't understand all the chagrin over this, anyway I won't pollute this thread with it, there are numerous other places to comment on this topic available today.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/10/10 - 07:44 am
Have a geat day George...News

Have a geat day George...News Flash,,, gasoline was put in a kerosene tank at pumkin ctr. near Harlem,,,some have already bought it b4 they realized the mistake... This is an accident waiting to happen..Soo if this person is YOU.. DON't USE IT..

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/10/10 - 07:47 am
There are two stories on that

There are two stories on that topic elsewhere in today's online edition. The total amount unaccounted for is 5 gallons purchased by one customer.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/10/10 - 07:49 am
Well petey,, you know what

Well petey,, you know what will happen to that 1 person if he uses it..

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 02/10/10 - 07:56 am
Debby I agree about Lowes in

Debby I agree about Lowes in Evans, that is why we went to Home Depot in Evans for flooring. Also for granite countertops we could never get any one to help us!

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/10/10 - 08:06 am
We bought our carpeting at

We bought our carpeting at Home Depot. Great subcontractors. Never took a break, ate lunch in the front yard, finished before scheduled.

The entire crew was Hispanic and I call that fantastic.

We bought our entry doors from Lowes. Great price, great product. I installed myself. Same with the countertops and hardwood floors.

Installed products: I recommend Home Depot.
DIY products: I recommend Lowes.

This post clears up absolutely nothing. =: )

Storm brings heavy rain, property damage reported

The National Weather Service in Columbia says the threat of severe weather has left the Augusta area, but not before leaving behind some property damage Sunday.